Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often do you switch providers?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Curious as to how often some of you switch your TV providers.
Do you jump around from Dish to Cable to Uverse to Direct going from promotion to promotion?
Or do you just stick to who you currently have?

I remember reading a few years back that it was suggested that one should always switch providers to go after new promotions.

I went from Dish to Direct back to Dish. At the time it wasn't so much that I was going after new promotions. We had moved and each time I looked into promotions, and I went with the best offer. My promotions have been over for about 2 years now. I'm now thinking of looking around to see what other promotions are out there when it comes to TV.

Anyone else change up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I have been with Dish for 10 years. I am happy with their service, I also have a bunch of hard drives full of content that would not work with Direct equipment.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Ive always subscribed to DirecTv. I just recently added Xfinity's 2 yr Digital Preferred package deal in addition to DirecTv to supplement all the missing basic channels and cut the price on my internet bill. After a year, I will decide which to keep, or keep both. Everything changes.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Been with Dish since 2001. Generally I am quite pleased with the service. Changing frequently would mean re-training both myself and my wife. No thanks. :P

#5 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

I don't switch often. I am happy with Dish Network, my 722K, the reliability and the value for my money. Dish is always giving away freebies like Stars for a year, 3 months of other premiums, PPV, free HD for life, Club Dish referral discounts, etc. Some of the promotions are only available to long time subscribers.

Right now, I have FiOS for phone and Internet and I might consider the triple play when my commitment is up, but it still may not be enough to make me switch because I would have to pay monthly charges for STBs for each of my TVs that I currently connect to my 722K and I will lose the DVR's integration with OTA channels that aren't available on FiOS. If I didn't want to lose the OTA channels, I would have to run extra coax cabling to all of my TVs too.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

I've had cable, Dish and Direct at different times. These days cable just isn't a viable option in my area except for the internet.

I switch about every couple of years for different reasons. The last switch from E* to D* was because my adult son wanted NFLST and they were offering it free as part of the sign up deal. But overall, I regret the switch because of what I consider relatively poor performance of D*'s HRs. In August when the discounts disappear, I will most likely switch back to E* and pay an ETF, but will still save $240 or thereabouts.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

DTV since 1999 NFLST since with one HR34 four HR24's thre H2x's and one DVR80. DISH cannot provide what DTV can, neither can U Verse or Comcast. Any questions? I have Comcast for internet which does include basic channels that I feed to the sling box.

#8 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've been very happy with Dish and their service. If I were to leave, it wouldn't be because of bad service. I'd leave because of promotions from another provider. There is nothing tying me down to Dish... like NFL, sports packages, or channels that other providers do not carry. I like their dual receivers but that's about it.

As I said, I was just curious what others do.

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Once, when I got rid of the Devil ---uh --- I mean cable and got Dish shortly after they began business.

#10 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'm not about to change providers and then have to deal with multiple calls at work for how do I do this, Why did you change? etc.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Do you jump around from Dish to Cable to Uverse to Direct going from promotion to promotion?

I remember reading a few years back that it was suggested that one should always switch providers to go after new promotions.

I went from Dish to Direct back to Dish. At the time it wasn't so much that I was going after new promotions. We had moved and each time I looked into promotions, and I went with the best offer. My promotions have been over for about 2 years now. I'm now thinking of looking around to see what other promotions are out there when it comes to TV.

Anyone else change up?

I made the mistake switching to Uverse. I dropped them in 2010 because the service went off one Saturday from 4AM to 6PM when a tech came..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Anyone else change up?

I was with Dish Network for 4 1/2 years with a basic receiver,got frustrated switched to DirecTV for 3 years,they just did not seem a right fit for what I expected and needed out of a satellite provider.But when I was with DirecTV I got into their DVRs and liked them OK so when I came back to DISH again I have had their DVR service ever since.

Every person is not the same they need to try both satellite providers to see which is the right fit for them as a person's wants and needs are not the same as the other.

Will I stay? when I came back I just felt that I came home and I still feel that way,so the answer is Yes.:)

I have been in DBS satellite for 10 years now.

#13 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Every 2 years. Nice to get new equipment and promotions.

#14 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Nice to see a variety of responses. I stayed with Dish for 8 years and found them very willing to offer promotions, including when I needed to cut my costs significantly. However, I hit a wall when I wanted to reduce costs even further by replacing a duo receiver with a solo. They could not supply a non-HD solo receiver. That meant significant installation charges and a 2-year obligation on old equipment.

So I slipped away to (gasp) Comcast for their 1-year promotion and then came back as a new Dish customer with a new dish, 2 new HD receivers and an improved experience. All this was installed for free and the 2-year obligation was worth it. I could stay with Dish for another 8 years. The year with Comcast was an unpleasant experience for the whole family.

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

The year with Comcast was an unpleasant experience for the whole family.

You must have used their DVR :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

The last time I switched, it was from Time Warner Cable for Dish, back in 2000 .
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Been with D* since 1997, have no plans to switch as I prefer the way their dvrs work, and don't think its worth switching to get promotions as I don't play those games that some of you do. Contributing to constant churn raises the rates for everyone and I for one will not contribute to it. If one day I find my service is not what I want I will switch, but I havent found a good reason in 15 years.

#18 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

If Dish brought out a 5 (Or more) tuner HD DVR, I MIGHT be interested in jumping ship once my contract with Directv is up.

#19 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

I've switched 4 times (from Disk to Direct and back again, twice.) I see nothing wrong with changing providers if you can save some money... My local cable company is offering a 2TB Tivo DVR starting next week for FREE! Might be another option.

Probably will switch again from Dish to Direct as Dish will probably want me to to pay big bucks for a whole house system. Direct will do it for almost nothing.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#20 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

I've switched 4 times (from Disk to Direct and back again, twice.) I see nothing wrong with changing providers if you can save some money... My local cable company is offering a 2TB Tivo DVR starting next week for FREE! Might be another option.

Probably will switch again from Dish to Direct as Dish will probably want me to to pay big bucks for a whole house system. Direct will do it for almost nothing.

The great majority of existing customers will pay no more than $100 for the Hopper/Joey upgrade. Seems resonable and affordable by most standards. Then again, it depends on your definition of "Big Bucks".

spam firewall