Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often do you switch providers?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I will switch anytime when u stay with a provider for 10 years or more and they wont give u a price break on new up grades for new eguipment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Every 2-3 years to get the latest equipment.

Since you MUST lease, I would expect the latest and Faster DVR but the only way to get that and a normal price is to switch.

Right now my DirecTV DVrs are the old HR20s very slow even with the new HD guide and they CANT do 3D like the models.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#43 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Had Dish from 1997-2001, went to Direct at that point for sports. Almost went back to Dish this winter, but problems with guide on .2 and .3 local channels along with no MRV put the kibosh on that.

#44 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Almost never.

I've been happy with DirecTV since the 1990s. Sure, there are some times when Dish or even my local cable system has programming I want, but more often than not, I've liked DirecTV's hardware, picture quality and channels offered. I thought the most about switching to another service provider during the first couple of years of the HR20, when the software often didn't work right, but I could still see an unsteady progress toward fixing the DVR's faults. I stayed.

In other words, pick a lane and drive in it.

Edited by Carl Spock, 14 March 2012 - 11:46 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#45 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

Charter when we first moved here in '91, terrible service & PQ.

D* when we moved around the corner in '95 and got a good promo.

E* in 2008 When D* wasn't interested in keeping us as customers (wouldn't upgrade us to HD).

Now out of contract (month to month) and staying with E* 'til the next round of price hikes and hardware upgrades hit, then will see what offers appear.

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

In other words, pick a lane and drive in it.

I started with Echostar C-band equipment. For 23+ years I've been happy with Echostar equipment.

For awhile there I was grumpy about Dish Network not offering our PBS station in HD. But recently they added that and I'm a happy customer.

Putting up with the hassle of installation just to save a few bucks isn't worth it. Frankly, I'm getting too old to learn how to use, and deal with the quirks of, all new equipment.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

To add to phrelin's comment: from our POV, inertia is looming ever larger. The only reason we switched to E* in the first place was that D* refused to upgrade us to HD in the midst of the HD upgrade hysteria, then had the temerity to call us after we switched to whine at us: "Why didn't you give us a chance to keep you as a customer?"

---annnd, as I write this, a D* installation van pulls up to my curb........

Edited by karrank%, 13 March 2012 - 09:54 AM.
timing is everything

#48 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Dish since 2001. Now and then, I'd go through my recommended steps to compare providers.

1) Determine which channels your family MUST have.

2) See which provider will give you those channels in the cheapest package.

Tie-breaker) See which other beneficial channels are also in that cheapest package.

At my house, Dish won that battle in 2001, and they've won every time since. YMMV.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#49 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

I switched from cable to Dish around 12 years ago. At that time, I bought a TiVo, found that noisy analog cable didn't MPEG well on the TiVo and switched to a digital service. Dish had the best lineup per dollar and still seemed to a couple of times I checked in later years. Eventually, I dropped the TiVo and went to a Dish DVR.

#50 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Once

Dish 1997-2003. I really liked what Charlie was doing and I was one of the first to have the Dishplayer 7100 DVR before it was a DVR. It could only pause programming. I had a 3000, 7100, 501 and what ever the first HD receiver was with the 8VSB module. The dang think cost me $1000.00.

In 2003 Dish lost its luster for me when upgrades became expensive and DirecTivos were free. I switched then and have been very happy with DirecTV and the upgrades I have been able to get. I now have a HR34, HR24, HR21 and HR22 and a new 2 year commettment. I have really enjoyed my DirecTV experience and don't plan on going anywhere else.

#51 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Never. Why? Picture quality...Dish just can't hack it.
DTV = Digital Television

#52 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Been with DirecTV since 1/98, but over the last 8 months I've had my programming suspended for 7, from late July of last year to late Jan. of this year and from late Feb. until at least August while I do a promo from TWC. I don't know for certain right now what I'll ultimately do, but TWC offers a fantastic broadband option and DirecTV does not. That will factor in heavily in my decision. DISH does not offer my locals in HD so they're not a blip on the radar.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#53 OFFLINE   mike01001

mike01001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

For football it's gotta be Dish. The Redzone channel stand alone is gold over having to get that channel included with D* Sunday Ticket $200+ later.

#54 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

If Dish brought out a 5 (Or more) tuner HD DVR, I MIGHT be interested in jumping ship once my contract with Directv is up.

That would be a 2 Hopper install(2 Hoppers=6 tuners).;)

#55 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

That would be a 2 Hopper install(2 Hoppers=6 tuners).;)

What would the additional monthly fees be for that? lol Directv charges me $6 a month for the lease fee (Which is actually free), and $10 for Whole Home DVR. Plus can the Hoppers communicate with each other (MRV)?

#56 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

What would the additional monthly fees be for that? lol Directv charges me $6 a month for the lease fee (Which is actually free), and $10 for Whole Home DVR. Plus can the Hoppers communicate with each other (MRV)?

With the H/J setup, monthly is $7/per additional receiver regardless of which model.

And the MRV fee is $10 ($6 DVR + $4 MRV)

The Hoppers cannot see each other now, but the software to do that is in the works and expected this summer sometime. But you can switch which Hopper the Joey sees quite simply from reports of those that just got installed.

From a purely equipment fee view, D* and E* are on par when you use the H/J setup.

And how is $6 lease fee with D* also 'free'? :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#57 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

You would have to ask DIRT if there would be an upgrade cost,but for an extra Hopper the extra receiver fee is $7.,1st receiver is included with your package,.

You should get a great deal being a new subscriber.;)

#58 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

For a new sub, it is 1 Hopper + up to 3 Joeys for no upfront money.

Lloyd

#59 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

With the H/J setup, monthly is $7/per additional receiver regardless of which model.

And the MRV fee is $10 ($6 DVR + $4 MRV)

The Hoppers cannot see each other now, but the software to do that is in the works and expected this summer sometime. But you can switch which Hopper the Joey sees quite simply from reports of those that just got installed.

From a purely equipment fee view, D* and E* are on par when you use the H/J setup.

And how is $6 lease fee with D* also 'free'? :)

You don't pay the lease fee for your main receiver with Directv.

#60 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

You don't with Dish either.

Lloyd