Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often do you switch providers?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

What would the additional monthly fees be for that? lol Directv charges me $6 a month for the lease fee (Which is actually free), and $10 for Whole Home DVR. Plus can the Hoppers communicate with each other (MRV)?

Monthly: First Hopper free, second Hopper $7. Each Joey is also $7 monthly.

Currently Hoppers cannot talk to each other but they will be able to "soon".

An account with a Hopper is charged the $6 per account DVR fee plus a $4 Whole Home DVR fee ... so an account with two Hoppers would be $17 (plus $7 for each Joey). Plus the cost of the base package and any channels/premiums one wants to subscribe to.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

I just checked out of curiosity-Dish can't match what I have with Directv. I need the ability to record at least 5 HD channels in one room, record at least 2 HD channels in another room, and have 2 rooms that can view live HD Tv. They said they could give me 3 Joeys (Not sure if that's possible lol), but the other 2 Tvs wouldn't have access to Live tv.

#63 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I just checked out of curiosity-Dish can't match what I have with Directv. I need the ability to record at least 5 HD channels in one room, record at least 2 HD channels in another room, and have 2 rooms that can view live HD Tv. They said they could give me 3 Joeys (Not sure if that's possible lol), but the other 2 Tvs wouldn't have access to Live tv.

You must have a slew of others living in your house!! :lol:

A fair question might be how much of those are watching/recording the same thing?

Whether the H/J setup is better or worse than a D* setup with the HR34 and receivers is really determined by how/what/when you watch more than any other reason.

For me, I could replace 3 HR24s with one Hopper plus one Joey and be good to go. That is because me and my son rarely watch any live tv. Virtually everything is recorded and watched at convenient times without having to watch commercials. The only time that I need more than 3 tuners available is during prime time and that because the broadcast channels don't run incessant reruns of their current programming.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#64 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

You must have a slew of others living in your house!! :lol:

A fair question might be how much of those are watching/recording the same thing?

Whether the H/J setup is better or worse than a D* setup with the HR34 and receivers is really determined by how/what/when you watch more than any other reason.

For me, I could replace 3 HR24s with one Hopper plus one Joey and be good to go. That is because me and my son rarely watch any live tv. Virtually everything is recorded and watched at convenient times without having to watch commercials. The only time that I need more than 3 tuners available is during prime time and that because the broadcast channels don't run incessant reruns of their current programming.

Uncle and his wife, and Grandmother. And yes, there are times that all 5 tuners are recording on my HR34, both tuners are recording on his HR24, Live Tv is being watched in the living room, and my Grandmother is watching Live Tv in her room lol

#65 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Each additional Hopper and Joey is $7 per month. There is an additional upfront cost for the 2nd Hopper and possibly for additional Joeys beyond the first 3. Thanks.

Monthly: First Hopper free, second Hopper $7. Each Joey is also $7 monthly.

Currently Hoppers cannot talk to each other but they will be able to "soon".

An account with a Hopper is charged the $6 per account DVR fee plus a $4 Whole Home DVR fee ... so an account with two Hoppers would be $17 (plus $7 for each Joey). Plus the cost of the base package and any channels/premiums one wants to subscribe to.

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Each additional Hopper and Joey is $7 per month. There is an additional upfront cost for the 2nd Hopper and possibly for additional Joeys beyond the first 3. Thanks.

Are you confirming three hoppers are possible? Otherwise, you're just restating what I already said. (I left off the upfront costs because we were discussing monthly costs.)

#67 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm debating right now, currently with D. This new Hopper thing has me real intrigued, and now that I can get MLB TV, there is nothing keeping me with D. I switched from Dish to D several years ago with Dish lost the extra innings package for MLB. I've more than fulfilled my two year contract with D, so I wouldn't feel bad at all.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Uncle and his wife, and Grandmother. And yes, there are times that all 5 tuners are recording on my HR34, both tuners are recording on his HR24, Live Tv is being watched in the living room, and my Grandmother is watching Live Tv in her room lol

During those peak times, how many of the tuners are watching/recording prime time broadcast TV?

#69 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Been with D* since 01, before that I had a C Band system.....

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#70 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Three Joey's are free with one hopper for new "qualifying" customers. For sure. You can pay an upfront cost to get a second hopper, and for each additional Joey beyond the three. You can have up to 6 Joeys with two Hoppers.

#71 OFFLINE   JG526

JG526

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Been with D* for 11 years & I'm thinking of switching to Dish for Hopper/Joey system. Question, if I get 2 joey's & decide say 6 months later to drop one of the joey's will it extend my 2-year contract or cost me any penalty fees?

#72 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Somebody told me not too long ago that they thought the 'Roos would kill Direct.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#73 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Somebody told me not too long ago that they thought the 'Roos would kill Direct.

I don't believe that will happen. :)

Both services have compelling reasons for picking one over the other, and both have many reasons for rejecting them. Neither is perfect by one very long shot, and imo, neither is necessarily better than the other for everyone.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Once they get hopping.

I don't know how much the tuner to output ratio will hurt DISH. Their ViP 6 TV setup was three duo receivers, six tuners for six TVs unless one paid for additional duo receivers. Two Hoppers four Joeys provides six tuners for six TVs. I'm not sure I'd want additional Joeys before adding a third Hopper - which means DISH would need to develop a Trio Node or other setup that would allow more than two Hoppers.

Having more tuners than outputs is a good thing.

#75 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I could survive without NFL-ST, but getting by without MLB-EI would be seriously difficult. I'm truly intrigued by the PTAT feature and might look to switch before the fall TV season. A 2 Hopper system would be perfect.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#76 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Been with D* for 11 years & I'm thinking of switching to Dish for Hopper/Joey system. Question, if I get 2 joey's & decide say 6 months later to drop one of the joey's will it extend my 2-year contract or cost me any penalty fees?

Best to ask DIRT, but I've dropped receivers mid-contract without penalty or contract extension.

#77 OFFLINE   PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

I jumped from DTV after 3 years to DISH to save $20/month. I think in another year, I'll jump back to DTV to get new equipment. I really really like the DTV remote better than my DISH one. It is just layed out better and the volume/channel buttons are much larger and right at your fingertips.

spam firewall