Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this a known problem with the HR34?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

Had my unit for 4 days now and for the last two days when I get up in the morning and turn it on all I get is a gray screen, nothing else. Am able to see the guide and change channels but still nothing but a gray screen. Yesterday I finally got something by going to an OTA channel. Once that channel appeared and I changed to a regular channel, everything was fine.

This morning I couldn't get anything but gray again and switching to an OTA didn't help either. Finally had to do a menu reset and now it's finally working again.

Is this a known issue with the HR34 or do I need to call DTV on this? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

What SW does your 34 have??
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#3 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

0x04CD

#4 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

To answer your question, I don't think its a known issue as I haven't seen it posted throughout dbstalk.

Perhaps you can describe your set up a bit?
What kind of receivers do you have? Give us a list.
Do you know anything about your dish/LNB/SWiM system?

Does your HR34 connect to an audio receiver via HDMI?

The more the better.

#5 OFFLINE   proud2bnerdy

proud2bnerdy

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

This issue with the HR34 was supposed to be resolved on 3/6. If you still have the problem you might want to call and let them know.

#6 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I unhooked the cable line for about a minute while i rerouted it....mine did grey screen, nothing helped.....

had to reboot it

no searching for signal or and error codes, just grey screen

#7 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I had your problem till I got 0x04CD, which fixed it. Prior to 04CD, I just never turned my 34 off (standby). I agree with proud2benerdy, you should probably call D.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#8 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

To answer your question, I don't think its a known issue as I haven't seen it posted throughout dbstalk.

Perhaps you can describe your set up a bit?
What kind of receivers do you have? Give us a list.
Do you know anything about your dish/LNB/SWiM system?

Does your HR34 connect to an audio receiver via HDMI?

The more the better.

Wanted to wait one more day and see what happened. This morning the stupid thing worked perfectly. Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like D* seems to have rushed this to market IMO. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this thread, soon. Again, thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   chrisexv6

chrisexv6

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

Wanted to wait one more day and see what happened. This morning the stupid thing worked perfectly. Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like D* seems to have rushed this to market IMO. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this thread, soon. Again, thanks.

Compared to the HR2X line, the HR34 actually seems a lot more mature for its initial release. Almost like <gasp> DirecTV learned something from the HR2X release and applied it to the HR34 BEFORE releasing it.

Im actually quite impressed with the HR34 the way it was out of the box....granted it had the "old" UI, but it was fast, didnt miss any recordings of mine, etc. I havent fully loaded it up yet but Im slowly xferring series links to it and it hasnt failed me yet (Im leaving all my series links on their corresponding HR2Xs, so I can tell if I see something recording on only the HR2X but not the HR34)

AT-9 Slimline, Zinwell 6x8 connected to:

Upstairs Panasonic 32LX50 LCD|HR21-200 via HDMI [-networked -native off]|Panasonic RP56 DVD player via component

Living Room Mits 65819 RPTV|HR20-100 via component[-networked -native off -OTA|Panasonic XP30 via component

Basement Olevia 537H LCD|HR20-700 via HDMI [-networked -native off]|Zenith DVB612 via HDMI|Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch

#10 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Ditto chrisexv6...

#11 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Compared to the HR2X line, the HR34 actually seems a lot more mature for its initial release. Almost like <gasp> DirecTV learned something from the HR2X release and applied it to the HR34 BEFORE releasing it.

Im actually quite impressed with the HR34 the way it was out of the box....granted it had the "old" UI, but it was fast, didnt miss any recordings of mine, etc. I havent fully loaded it up yet but Im slowly xferring series links to it and it hasnt failed me yet (Im leaving all my series links on their corresponding HR2Xs, so I can tell if I see something recording on only the HR2X but not the HR34)

The installer told me the HR34 is pretty much a HR24 with 5 tuners and a larger hard drive...not sure how accurate that is.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

There are a lot more differences than that. RVU, PIP, delivering more streams to remote boxes etc.

#13 OFFLINE   driftertx

driftertx

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

I had a lot of problems with my HR34. Two main problems 1) streaming from other rooms would fail with unable to connect or something along those lines every now and then and would only stream if the unit was first rebooted 2) HR34 would completely lock up and would not respond with out hard power off or reset button push.

After reading several forums I basically told DTV support I wanted an hr24 series but they convinced me to get a 'refurb' hr34 which I reluctantly agreed to do. I will say the new HR34 seems to have an additional fan (more noise) than the previous. I'm beginning to wonder if the refurb models simply come with an additional fan and the old models had overheating issues. Time will tell.

#14 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Mine runs around 106 most of the time. Have noticed though that it jumps to around 117 at various times. Maybe you/they are on to something. Will have to check it's temp more often I guess and see what it's doing when the temp goes up. I am pretty sure that those two temps are OK, just would like to know the reason that it jumps up like that.

#15 OFFLINE   Defman

Defman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Just adding that my HR34 has been doing this since Sunday as well. DTV sending me a replacement.

When I first got mine I had problems with it "cancelling" recordings due to "an unknown error". A reboot seemed to fix that and it worked fine for about a month. Last Sunday I was watching a Blu-Ray and noticed the HR34 had apparently rebooted itself, I figured it was a software update and ignored it.

Monday AM I turned the unit on and got a black screen, no audio or video from live TV but the system responded to buttons and would play recorded programs. Did a soft reset, everything back to normal. Busy with work and the such I had not watched TV until this AM, again got the black screen and discovered that nothing had recorded since the reboot, all listed in the history as being cancelled due to an unknown error.

#16 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

i wish i would have never got the hr34one problems after aother.all kind of problems with playback on the 2 h24 .maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

The installer told me the HR34 is pretty much a HR24 with 5 tuners and a larger hard drive...not sure how accurate that is.

Had my unit for 4 days now and for the last two days when I get up in the morning and turn it on all I get is a gray screen, nothing else. Am able to see the guide and change channels but still nothing but a gray screen. Yesterday I finally got something by going to an OTA channel. Once that channel appeared and I changed to a regular channel, everything was fine.

This morning I couldn't get anything but gray again and switching to an OTA didn't help either. Finally had to do a menu reset and now it's finally working again.

Is this a known issue with the HR34 or do I need to call DTV on this? Thanks.

First of all, the black or grey screens seem to be due to the HR34's inability to get a tuner for live TV. The hope was, this issue was solved in the last release, but I've seen it every so often myself. A menu reset generally makes it go away for a while. New software, coming soon, will improve this.

Bosoxfan, that's not really true. From the point of view of the user interface, yeah it's true. But the hardware is totally different.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Can you perchance, define "coming soon" Stuart??

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

Can you perchance, define "coming soon" Stuart??

Just be patient.

spam firewall