Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA connection dropped by Power Saver

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Last week I noticed that one of my Thermaltake docking stations had lost it's blue power light. Rebooted and it came back on. When I checked, everything seemed to be OK and while rooting around in the 20-700's menus, I noticed the Power Saver option was on. Pondered this for a bit and could see how a four hour shutdown could break the connection between the HR and the external device, any external device. I immediately checked my other HRs that are on TTs and the Power Saver options were all off. Turned one on and the next day that TT was disconnected from the HR.

I wouldn't recommend using the Power Saver option while having an external HDD on the HRs.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Man, thats helpful.

Which SW is it enabled on? Ive not seen it on my HR34 menus (On CE)
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Man, thats helpful.

Which SW is it enabled on? Ive not seen it on my HR34 menus (On CE)

You won't see it until you get the HD GUI.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Well, the CE is an HD Gui. I guess I need to look, but Ive not had any problems, it's off from 10pm to 4pm the next day almost every day.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Well, the CE is an HD Gui. I guess I need to look, but Ive not had any problems, it's off from 10pm to 4pm the next day almost every day.

Go to the Menu and hit the Setup button. You should see the Power Saver button on the left column. That will take you to a window that will allow you to turn off or on the Power Saver. After the NR, some of my 12 HRs had the Power Saver on, some off. Doesn't seem to affect the HRs that don't have an external drive connected adversely.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Cool, will check.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Power save mode on the HR should have no bearing on the power to your docking station...if the drive quit working but still had the blue power light(no red intermittent flashes meaning no drive activity) on I would agree, but since there are no switched power outlets on the HR, the TT dock isnt getting its power from the HR, and hence the HR can't affect the power to the dock....remember that the blue light on the TT dock if functioning correctly would be on with the unit not connected to anything. I would suspect an intermittent issue with the power adapter or plug in the TT instead.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Power save mode on the HR should have no bearing on the power to your docking station...if the drive quit working but still had the blue power light(no red intermittent flashes meaning no drive activity) on I would agree, but since there are no switched power outlets on the HR, the TT dock isnt getting its power from the HR, and hence the HR can't affect the power to the dock....remember that the blue light on the TT dock if functioning correctly would be on with the unit not connected to anything. I would suspect an intermittent issue with the power adapter or plug in the TT instead.

Happened twice on two different TTs. Why was the power light out? I have no idea. I hit the switch twice on the back of the first TT and the power light came on. Rebooted and it was fine. The other time it happened I rebooted from the Menu and the power lite on the TT just came back on.

Could it be a "no signal shut off" based on time without activity? My TVs do that.

I was surprised to see the power light off the first time, never seen that before, first thought was a blown LED, or whatever that light is.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I've not had this problem with either Cavalry or Fantom eSata drives. Perhaps it's specific to ThermalTake.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Could it be a "no signal shut off" based on time without activity? My TVs do that.

Rich

No...if the blue power light goes off on a TT, its got to be power related to just the TT...remember thta even with the dvr off the power light should never go out on the TT. I would suspect the TT's are having power issues themselves not related to your dvr's.

#11 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I've got an HR20-100 with an external drive in an Antec enclosure. Just checked my power saver setting and it's ON. Haven't had what you described happen to me yet and I've had the new GUI for over a month now with plenty of down time which would have kicked in the power saver. It's most likely something about your particular setup (drive/enclosure) that's causing the power-down fault.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

No...if the blue power light goes off on a TT, its got to be power related to just the TT...remember thta even with the dvr off the power light should never go out on the TT. I would suspect the TT's are having power issues themselves not related to your dvr's.

I forgot to mention that the HDD in the TT was spinning (with the light unlit) when I found it wasn't recognized by the HR20-700. I don't have any idea how to explain this, I just know what I experienced. Hasn't happened on either of the TTs since I turned off the Power Saver on both HRs.

Never having any problem with the TTs except for the on/off switches on the back, I can't imagine two of them doing the same thing, especially when I turned the Power Saver on just to see what would happen to another HR20-700 + it's TT. Same thing happened. Believe in electrical coincidences? I don't.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I've got an HR20-100 with an external drive in an Antec enclosure. Just checked my power saver setting and it's ON. Haven't had what you described happen to me yet and I've had the new GUI for over a month now with plenty of down time which would have kicked in the power saver. It's most likely something about your particular setup (drive/enclosure) that's causing the power-down fault.

To two of them? C'mon. I've had the Power Saver for awhile too, and this is the first time I've seen this happen. Both are running fine now with the Power Saver off.

I didn't start this thread to get into arguments, just to inform folks of the possibility of it happening. Simpler to shut off the Power Saver and not ever see the issue on your external drives.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

I don't think RBTO was trying to start an argument, he just wanted to point out that this problem does not happen with the Antec enclosure. I also have two Antec enclosures on my two HR21-700s with Power Saver turned on and have not had your problem.

I wonder if the TT docking station has logic to shut itself down after some period of time when its host goes down.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x099c
DirecTV since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

To two of them? C'mon. I've had the Power Saver for awhile too, and this is the first time I've seen this happen. Both are running fine now with the Power Saver off.

I didn't start this thread to get into arguments, just to inform folks of the possibility of it happening. Simpler to shut off the Power Saver and not ever see the issue on your external drives.

Rich

I feel your pain Rich. After all trouble I've had with DirecTV and how many times I've been told 'Mine works fine - you must have another problem' it makes me want puke.

I turned my 'power saver' off just because it doesn't save power and god knows what they screwed up adding it.

You'd think that to be 'energy star rated' your 'Power Saver' would actucally have to do something! (Other than screw other things up!)

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I feel your pain Rich. After all trouble I've had with DirecTV and how many times I've been told 'Mine works fine - you must have another problem' it makes me want puke.

I turned my 'power saver' off just because it doesn't save power and god knows what they screwed up adding it.

You'd think that to be 'energy star rated' your 'Power Saver' would actucally have to do something! (Other than screw other things up!)

Presactly! I turned mine off as well, as it doesn't save enough power to take on all the unintended consequences that will, no doubt accompany this new "feature".:)
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm certainly not wanting to start an argument and believe you completely, Rich. The new GUI introduced a number of problems that we're dealing with. I'm just stating my own case and a conclusion from that. I totally agree with you on playing it safe if there's any question of this happening, and turning the power control OFF. I too, grimace every time DTV "fixes" something, because of all the bugs they usually introduce.

#18 OFFLINE   fjames

fjames

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

I had my power saver on for a few weeks with the TT cradle and no problems, but anyone with the TT should know they are famous for power (switch) issues. I have two TTs and they're always on and no problems in a few years now. The Windows one lost contact a few times for some reason (hey, it's Windows) but zero issues with the DVR.

#19 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

Kind of a related thing. I have a HR34, HR24 AND HR22 on MRV. The 22 is upstairs in the comp. room and just used when I want to watch something the wife doesn't (read NASCAR). i have noticed, since I got the 34 installed, that the 22 keeps dropping out of MRV, but the 24 has not. I checked the 22 and the "power saver" option was ON. I turned it off and have not lost the 22 from MRV since (approx. a week now). Sri if this is deemed hijacking but thought that it might have some revelence.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

I don't think RBTO was trying to start an argument, he just wanted to point out that this problem does not happen with the Antec enclosure. I also have two Antec enclosures on my two HR21-700s with Power Saver turned on and have not had your problem.

I used to use MX-1s and they all failed. Gave up. I doubt if this is a "systemic" problem and I know it's not a TT problem. My luck...

Let me ask you this: Since you got the new HD GUI, has it ever "exploded" all over your screen? No? Happened to me just about every night after the GUI was downloaded for the first time. Does this mean my 24-500 is shot? Or something with my system? Or was it a problem with the GUI itself? I know others have had this problem because someone started a thread about it. I didn't start a thread about it because I was sure it was the GUI and not my equipment and I didn't feel like defending myself. Much as I've been doing on this thread. Does anyone think I didn't check EVERYTHING before I started this thread? By the way, the second GUI NR seems to have stopped the explosions.

I wonder if the TT docking station has logic to shut itself down after some period of time when its host goes down.

From what I've seen in the last ten days or so, it would seem that it does, but I'd have to call the manufacturer to find out for sure and, with the Power Saver off on all my HRs, I see no point in spending an hour on the phone trying to find someone at TT who knows what the dock is capable of. On that note, did you happen to see the post where I stated the HDD was still spinning with the Blue light off? Everything I saw led me to believe that the TTs are capable of doing something if the signal from the HR is interrupted for a long period of time. What would do that? Only thing I can think of is the Power Saver. But, if it happens again with the Power Saver off, I'll post and eat crow. I really don't think that will happen.

Again, after shutting off the Power Saver, both TTs are working well.

Rich

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Actually, I think that's gotta happen or we'll never get a clear picture of what's going on. I don't like it either, but I think it's necessary.

Be thankful, as I am, that it can be shut off.

Did the PS have anything at all to do with the rating? When the energy ratings first came out, I was a working electrician and we took some things apart to see how they managed to get their ratings. You'd be surprised at what we found in air conditioners.

Rich

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Presactly! I turned mine off as well, as it doesn't save enough power to take on all the unintended consequences that will, no doubt accompany this new "feature".:)

Scared me, I'll admit that. I turned off all the Power Savers on all my HRs very quickly. I've been getting some lockups on my 20-700s, too. Can't blame them on the PS, had one happen yesterday, but it's not normal for my HRs to do that.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm certainly not wanting to start an argument and believe you completely, Rich. The new GUI introduced a number of problems that we're dealing with. I'm just stating my own case and a conclusion from that. I totally agree with you on playing it safe if there's any question of this happening, and turning the power control OFF. I too, grimace every time DTV "fixes" something, because of all the bugs they usually introduce.

No problem with your post. I expected posts like that and they are necessary. As far as playing it safe, that was my first thought after finding my TT doing something totally unexpected. And then turning the PS on to see if I could replicate the issue and replicating it on a different 20-700 and a different TT, off all the PSs went.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I had my power saver on for a few weeks with the TT cradle and no problems, but anyone with the TT should know they are famous for power (switch) issues. I have two TTs and they're always on and no problems in a few years now. The Windows one lost contact a few times for some reason (hey, it's Windows) but zero issues with the DVR.

We always had posts about the on/off switches being problematic. I have one that failed in the closed position and it still works perfectly. Then, about a month or two ago, one switch failed open. I took the TT apart thinking I could jump out the switch and that doesn't seem possible. So, I know they fail "open", which is fatal or "closed" which still allows you to use the TT. Most switches are made to fail either open or closed, not both. That surprised me. To give you an example of what I mean, the photocells on top of utility poles for lights will fail in the closed position which tells the guys working on the highways that the photocell, which is a switch, has failed.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Kind of a related thing. I have a HR34, HR24 AND HR22 on MRV. The 22 is upstairs in the comp. room and just used when I want to watch something the wife doesn't (read NASCAR). i have noticed, since I got the 34 installed, that the 22 keeps dropping out of MRV, but the 24 has not. I checked the 22 and the "power saver" option was ON. I turned it off and have not lost the 22 from MRV since (approx. a week now). Sri if this is deemed hijacking but thought that it might have some revelence.

Any info regarding the Power Saver will be relevant. I can see that happening. I have no idea how long the PS shuts down the HR for, but any interruption of signal will usually drop that HR off the MRV.

Hopefully, all this will be fixed. A major NR such as the HD GUI always takes a while to fix.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...