Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA connection dropped by Power Saver

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

I feel your pain Rich. After all trouble I've had with DirecTV and how many times I've been told 'Mine works fine - you must have another problem' it makes me want puke.

Actually, I think that's gotta happen or we'll never get a clear picture of what's going on. I don't like it either, but I think it's necessary.

I turned my 'power saver' off just because it doesn't save power and god knows what they screwed up adding it.

Be thankful, as I am, that it can be shut off.

You'd think that to be 'energy star rated' your 'Power Saver' would actucally have to do something! (Other than screw other things up!)

Did the PS have anything at all to do with the rating? When the energy ratings first came out, I was a working electrician and we took some things apart to see how they managed to get their ratings. You'd be surprised at what we found in air conditioners.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Presactly! I turned mine off as well, as it doesn't save enough power to take on all the unintended consequences that will, no doubt accompany this new "feature".:)

Scared me, I'll admit that. I turned off all the Power Savers on all my HRs very quickly. I've been getting some lockups on my 20-700s, too. Can't blame them on the PS, had one happen yesterday, but it's not normal for my HRs to do that.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm certainly not wanting to start an argument and believe you completely, Rich. The new GUI introduced a number of problems that we're dealing with. I'm just stating my own case and a conclusion from that. I totally agree with you on playing it safe if there's any question of this happening, and turning the power control OFF. I too, grimace every time DTV "fixes" something, because of all the bugs they usually introduce.

No problem with your post. I expected posts like that and they are necessary. As far as playing it safe, that was my first thought after finding my TT doing something totally unexpected. And then turning the PS on to see if I could replicate the issue and replicating it on a different 20-700 and a different TT, off all the PSs went.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I had my power saver on for a few weeks with the TT cradle and no problems, but anyone with the TT should know they are famous for power (switch) issues. I have two TTs and they're always on and no problems in a few years now. The Windows one lost contact a few times for some reason (hey, it's Windows) but zero issues with the DVR.

We always had posts about the on/off switches being problematic. I have one that failed in the closed position and it still works perfectly. Then, about a month or two ago, one switch failed open. I took the TT apart thinking I could jump out the switch and that doesn't seem possible. So, I know they fail "open", which is fatal or "closed" which still allows you to use the TT. Most switches are made to fail either open or closed, not both. That surprised me. To give you an example of what I mean, the photocells on top of utility poles for lights will fail in the closed position which tells the guys working on the highways that the photocell, which is a switch, has failed.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Kind of a related thing. I have a HR34, HR24 AND HR22 on MRV. The 22 is upstairs in the comp. room and just used when I want to watch something the wife doesn't (read NASCAR). i have noticed, since I got the 34 installed, that the 22 keeps dropping out of MRV, but the 24 has not. I checked the 22 and the "power saver" option was ON. I turned it off and have not lost the 22 from MRV since (approx. a week now). Sri if this is deemed hijacking but thought that it might have some revelence.

Any info regarding the Power Saver will be relevant. I can see that happening. I have no idea how long the PS shuts down the HR for, but any interruption of signal will usually drop that HR off the MRV.

Hopefully, all this will be fixed. A major NR such as the HD GUI always takes a while to fix.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...