Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ceton tuner

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

I do have an HTPC and use it quite successfully with everything except satellite tv. I still maintain that's the complicated and expensive part. The capture card isn't bad, but you need a massive hard drive and serious processor to go with it. Add to that a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you have to control a satellite box via IR and can only access 1 HD tuner per box, so you save nothing money wise by the time you get a second tuner. Stand-alone DVR is much cheaper and easier IMO.

That's because you're using a htpc with a satellite box. The vast majority of people use them with ota/cable. That's what they really are designed for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

The OP asked if this was a good solution with Dish, and I answered no. So we seem to be in agreement there.

#23 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

The OP asked if this was a good solution with Dish, and I answered no. So we seem to be in agreement there.

HA, the op did ask that! So you're right, I do agree with that. ;)

#24 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

The capture card isn't bad, but you need a massive hard drive and serious processor to go with it.

I don't have a capture card (i use OTA + streaming), but the specs of the hauppauge hd-pvr say that is has a built-in encoder. The minimum specs for HD playback, according to them, is dual-core 2.0ghz (that's what i have now). You do need a big hard drive, but those are getting pretty cheap now!

Add to that a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you have to control a satellite box via IR and can only access 1 HD tuner per box, so you save nothing money wise by the time you get a second tuner. Stand-alone DVR is much cheaper and easier IMO.

I agree; satellite in an HTPC is extremely expensive to get a multi-tuner setup. Not only are you paying $200 per tuner, but you have to pay a monthly fee for each satellite box if you want HD programming.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...