Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Channels, shows DirecTV and Dish don't want to give you.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

TV providers black out things I want to see, which is why I don't subscribe to them. Where are these shows/movies?

Bomb Girls, Don Cherry 2, HBO Canada, ABC Spark, Arctic Air, Mr. D, TSN, FX Canada, Murdoch Mysteries, Republic of Doyle.

Any others I missed? Here's a link about The River on Itunes.

www.digitaltrends.com/international/spielbergs-the-river-hits-uk-itunes-24-hours-after-us-tv-debut-will-it-curb-piracy-of-the-show/

Now if they were going to do this with the above shows, I'd go for it within a second, otherwise...

Guess I'll have to keep waiting for those channels till they finally decide they want my business.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

TV providers black out things I want to see, which is why I don't subscribe to them.

Exactly why I no longer subscribe to Major League Baseball, or the Sports Pack. If they dont want me to watch what I am paying for, I wont pay or watch any of it. Plenty of other choices out there.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Looks like most of these are Canadian channels. I think even on cable Canadian networks are only in the border areas. DirecTV and dish could do this, but don't. I don't think they can broadcast them nationwide.

The providers don't just black shows out because they want to, it's based on various rules. There are some crazy MLB blackout rules, but it's not the providers fault.

Edited by dpeters11, 11 March 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

dpeters11, sports blackouts are a different thing and complicated as well. But foreign shows shouldn't be that complicated to figure out.

In addition to the above The River example another show, Skins UK is available on Hulu and I think Hulu Plus. So that's a little better, but it still needs more improvement. Till then however, if it's available elsewhere through gray market means, you have no choice. And are you going to wait months or years for it to show up?

The movie studios sometimes put out their bigger movies worldwide simultaneously in comparison.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

I guess I'm not getting it (not unusual), if a show isnt available on Hulu/Amazon instant/iTunes or on the channels website like The River, that is not up to DirecTV or Dish. It's the studio etc.

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Looks like most of these are Canadian channels. I think even on cable Canadian networks are only in the border areas. DirecTV and dish could do this, but don't. I don't think they can broadcast them nationwide.

The providers don't just black shows out because they want to, it's based on various rules. There are some crazy MLB blackout rules, but it's not the providers fault.

I am not sure if things have changed in the last 4 years but I lived in International Falls, MN for 5 years and at the time not a single Canadian channel was being carried by the cable system up there.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I am not sure if things have changed in the last 4 years but I lived in International Falls, MN for 5 years and at the time not a single Canadian channel was being carried by the cable system up there.

I don't know how common it is, but Time Warner carries two Canadian channels in their basic lineup in Buffalo.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

So let me get this straight. You live in the US(CAlifornia, or CAnada), and want shows/stations that are only available in Canada? So you claim its some kind of conspiracy? Its not a blackout unless you get the channel they air on and its actually blacked out. It's all about transmission rights and whose getting paid to allow transmission/re-transmission. Ridiculous post...

#9 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

It would be nice to get Canadian series the way American series are broadcast there. There are some very good shows being done up there that we never get to see.

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,861 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

The general attitude that I get is that United States produced stuff is superior to anything produced by the non-United States studios. I have enjoyed several Asian series, and they will not be available through broadcast television, DVDs, or legitimate streaming sites. (It doesn't help that they have to be subtitled).

Also, please note: The first season of the new Doctor Who series concluded in June, 2005 before it ran in September, 2005 on the SciFi Channel. Now, it's practically "same-day" airing on BBC America. Torchwood's first season aired in the United States one year after the UK premiere, yet the latest series premiered on Starz before the United States airing.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

There was a time on C-band when I watched the CBC's Olympics coverage because I thought it was great coverage of the world's atheletes, without all the jingoistic orientation of American coverage.

The nice folks at the Olympics then started selling exclusive rights to various outlets within one country. No more CBC Olympics coverage in the U.S.

In most cases, programming has licensing restrictions attached to it. Sure if you live on the border of a nation you may get OTA from across the border and in some cases there is special licensing to cable.

But if you think - in this day when Fox dumped affiliates which refused to agree to charge $1 just for Fox in retransmission fees - that getting international programming is a simple task that Direct, Dish, and cable systems don't do because they "don't want to give you" that programming, the word "give" isn't your only error. I think they'd love to "sell" it to you for a profit. But given the programming licensing complications, those channels and the carriers simply can't see a viable cost-to-income ratio.

It is a struggle to get a sufficient number of people to watch programming on our broadcast, cable, and premium networks to pay for it. Niche channels are the target of criticism here because they have become more general programming channels in an attempt to survive.

This is the world we live in. I can't even watch CBC shows streaming over the internet unless I can find a way to make them think I'm in Canada. That's just the way it is.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

TV providers black out things I want to see, which is why I don't subscribe to them.

If you don't subscribe then you shouldn't be seeing them. Most content today is sold - not free. If you are suggesting theft (signal or content) that is not tolerated at this site. (Buying from a legit source such as Itunes, Amazon or Hulu is acceptable.)

Where are these shows/movies?

Bomb Girls, Don Cherry 2, HBO Canada, ABC Spark, Arctic Air, Mr. D, TSN, FX Canada, Murdoch Mysteries, Republic of Doyle.

Don't expect foreign channels - especially foreign versions of US channels. Their content is not licensed for broadcast in the US via those foreign channels and even if DirecTV/DISH carried the channel they would have to black out anything the foreign channel doesn't have US rights to air (even if no one holds the US rights). It would not make the channels worth carrying.

As for the foreign shows, you could try contacting a US distributor and see if they will pick them up. A lot of Canadian and UK content makes it into the US via US "cable" networks. If the show is good enough perhaps DirecTV's audience network would add it? It all comes down to someone getting the rights.

#13 OFFLINE   Heynonny

Heynonny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

Buying from a legit source such as Itunes, Amazon or Hulu is acceptable.

Thanks.

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

dpeters11, sports blackouts are a different thing and complicated as well. But foreign shows shouldn't be that complicated to figure out.

In addition to the above The River example another show, Skins UK is available on Hulu and I think Hulu Plus. So that's a little better, but it still needs more improvement. Till then however, if it's available elsewhere through gray market means, you have no choice. And are you going to wait months or years for it to show up?

The movie studios sometimes put out their bigger movies worldwide simultaneously in comparison.

Perhaps relocating to the host country will solve your problem. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

I know it is complicated but there are a lot of Canadians in the USA so why not one Canadian channel? We have lots of Latin channels and even BBCA.

#16 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

I know it is complicated but there are a lot of Canadians in the USA so why not one Canadian channel? We have lots of Latin channels and even BBCA.

That Canadian channel would have to negotiate the rights to air their programs in the US. That means paying the studios more, and potentially not getting those rights. This increases their expenses. The would have to charge DIRECTV enough to overcome those extra expenses. If they were not able to get some rights, then they would have to black out that programming. This would create ill will for both DIRECTV and the channel, thus reducing the perceived "worth" of their channel.

Can it be done? Sure. Does it make financial sense? Probably not, otherwise we would have seen it already.
DogLover

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

And this is why I just quit waiting for the programmers to get their act together and go straight for the downloads. The glacial pace of US programmers to pick up foreign shows demands it, fine by me. I'd rather spend my extra TV money on more bandwidth.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

It's fine to ask about other channels... and I know many who want the Canadian channels just as many (myself included) have expressed a wish that some of the UK channels similarly offer themselves up to the US satellite/cable carriers.

BUT...

Stealing is not a viable alternative. Saying "Since I can't buy it, it's ok to steal it" is not acceptable... and absolutely not something we discuss on this site.

So please let's end those parts of the discussion so the thread can stay open to discuss the channels/content and our wishes to see them.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

DirecTV's Audience Network has been showing some great Australian series. Why not Canadian? Canada produces some great series that are all but unknown in the US. My personal favorite is a sitcom, Little Mosque on the Prairie. But there are dramas too, and quite good. In the US you can only get them on DVD. I don't think any is available on Blu-ray, but I may be wrong. An international English-language channel would be an amazing addition to show series from around the world that are produced in English, including Canada.

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

TV providers black out things I want to see, which is why I don't subscribe to them. Where are these shows/movies?

Any others I missed? Here's a link about The River on Itunes.

www.digitaltrends.com/international/spielbergs-the-river-hits-uk-itunes-24-hours-after-us-tv-debut-will-it-curb-piracy-of-the-show/

Now if they were going to do this with the above shows, I'd go for it within a second, otherwise...

Guess I'll have to keep waiting for those channels till they finally decide they want my business.

It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$s

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...