Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hard drive error - any way to salvage saved programs?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Well, I should have known this was coming since my HR24 has occasionally been failing to power up in the last few months. But today it finally bit the dust - I'm getting a diagnostic code of 14-935. According to this great thread, it looks like I will need to replace the unit. But is there any chance I can save some of the programs that are on it? I'm a computer guy so I have no problem with opening up units and swapping hard drives around, but I'd rather not get into that unless there is a chance I can save the content. This is my only HR24 unit - the other ones are HR22s. Is there any chance this drive would boot up in an HR22 so I could copy some stuff off to a DVD-R?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

No. Even if you coped the programs, It wouldnt play. The one thing you can do, is try to get the drive working in a computer long enough to image it to another drive using linux. There are threads on how to do that on the forum here. If you could image the drive to a new good drive, then the shows would still play as they are tied to the access card and receiver ID of the DVR that recorded them. Both those would remain unchanged.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I don't think I have anything on the hard drive that was *that* important, but I just wish I could boot it up one more time so I could check to be sure. I called DirecTV tonight and they are sending a replacement. What are the odds they send me an HR34 to replace my HR24? That would be nice!

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

0%. It's in a different class than a HD DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well I received my replacement receiver (another HR24), but I would like to take another shot at getting the old one booted up before I have to send it back. If I can get it to boot one more time, I can see what's on it and maybe copy a few programs off to DVD. Will I get in trouble with "the man" if I break the warranty sticker and open up the box so I can re-seat the cable on the hard drive? The unit is already dead and it will be shipped back to DirecTV soon, so I don't really care that the warranty will be voided.

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I own my units, and haven't had any problem peeling back the label without destroying it, and placing back when done. If you lease your units, I believe it is a violation of the TOS to open the unit.

Kevin

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Well I received my replacement receiver (another HR24), but I would like to take another shot at getting the old one booted up before I have to send it back. If I can get it to boot one more time, I can see what's on it and maybe copy a few programs off to DVD. Will I get in trouble with "the man" if I break the warranty sticker and open up the box so I can re-seat the cable on the hard drive? The unit is already dead and it will be shipped back to DirecTV soon, so I don't really care that the warranty will be voided.

Oh, they gave you another HR24? Take both units apart and toss the drive from your replacement HR24 into your old HR24. If it comes up and runs the power supply and motherboard in your old HR24 are OK and there is a chance you can save your shows (by hooking the OLD HDD to a computer running UNIX and cloning it using detailed instructions available elsewhere on this system)

Even easier, swap power supplies (they just plug in). If the problem with your old HR24 was the power supply, you're in business!

Remember-shows recorded on your OLD HR24 will ONLY PLAY BACK ON THAT MOTHERBOARD. That's the key. As for the "warranty sticker" most of them are already broken (like the one on the "reconditioned" R15 I got in the past) so I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike sneaky cable boxes, DirecTV receivers don't have "tamper switches" in them that reveal when clever subs open them up. :sure:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Oh, they gave you another HR24? Take both units apart and toss the drive from your replacement HR24 into your old HR24. If it comes up and runs the power supply and motherboard in your old HR24 are OK and there is a chance you can save your shows (by hooking the OLD HDD to a computer running UNIX and cloning it using detailed instructions available elsewhere on this system)

Not true... Cloning will make an exact copy, meaning that the drive will still only play in the original HR24. Recordings are tied to the receiver no matter how or how many times you copy the drive.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Not true... Cloning will make an exact copy, meaning that the drive will still only play in the original HR24. Recordings are tied to the receiver no matter how or how many times you copy the drive.

Definitely Not True as the DVRs RID # is written into the Header of each Recording and that is Stored on the DVRs Flash Storage so that Prevents you from changing out the Hard Drive as I have asked Directv for years now to give us the Ability to Archive Recordings that we do not want to lose.

It can be easily done now if Directv wants to do it or if they will give us the Option of buying/leasing storage on Directv Servers so we can Retrieve Valuable Recordings if our hard drive fails and needs to be replaced and then out Recordings can be Restored.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Definitely Not True as the DVRs RID # is written into the Header of each Recording and that is Stored on the DVRs Flash Storage

It's much simpler - recordings encrypted by DVR_key, what [perhaps derived from RID] no one know.
No headers mocking in the case. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

It's much simpler - recordings encrypted by DVR_key, what [perhaps derived from RID] no one know.
No headers mocking in the case. ;)

That is what I meant instead of being in a Header the RID # is contained in the Key of each Record to uniquely identity each Record probably along with a sequential number also to isolate and identify each record as having a Unique Key.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   jnelaine

jnelaine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, but I decided to just return the dead box without opening it up. I figured that if I couldn't remember in a week anything that was on the box, it probably wasn't that important to begin with. :)

#13 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, but I decided to just return the dead box without opening it up. I figured that if I couldn't remember in a week anything that was on the box, it probably wasn't that important to begin with. :)

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. What I did was make a list of all the shows I usually record and then watched them online on the computer. 90% of what I watch is network shows anyway so I was able to watch all of my missed shows except for 2.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...