Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Directv Everywhere a reality or fantasy?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I presume you mean more than just set up a recording from afar, which we can do now. What functions are you looking for?

Sling functions?

Directv everywhere is the subject of this thread, I figured it was more than scheduling a recording on the road. Nomad has its place, just not something that solves our issues.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Update your iPad app...it just came out.

#23 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

OK - sitting in an airport watching a movie from Starz. It does work!

Don't do what I did the first time - it did not find my receivers - which I did not expect, but on the bottom of the app screen, you will see a "watch on ipad" selection. Push that then select from "Live TV", "Movies", "TV Shows" or "Networks"

Not every network or movie channel is there, but enough to keep me happy, between this and Nomad, I think I can take care of my down time while traveling. I do not expect this to work real well in hotels since the networks in most hotels are pretty bad.

Edited by nelsonrl, 21 March 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Just hope you Android tablet is not rooted or you iPad is not JB. Because you will be disappointed. Or at leads until the FIX comes in!

If my Nook Color wasn't rooted (ICS/CyanogenMod 9) it wouldn't really be a tablet. I'll keep waiting.

#25 OFFLINE   PurdueGradMem

PurdueGradMem

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Looks good. All the streaming you get with vod on your iPad.

This may have already been covered, but I would love to be able to play recorded shows on my iPad. Any idea why this is not possible?

#26 OFFLINE   smithrh

smithrh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

This may have already been covered, but I would love to be able to play recorded shows on my iPad. Any idea why this is not possible?

It's not only possible, I've been doing it for months - on my Vulkano.

Other people have been using Slingbox...

Not every solution needs to have a DirecTV logo on it.

#27 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Go http://www.directv.c...echnology/nomad

It works very well.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#28 OFFLINE   PurdueGradMem

PurdueGradMem

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks all. I would settle for only being able to do it in my home network. Just like the pc program for the iPad.

#29 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Go http://www.directv.c...echnology/nomad

It works very well.

For the iPhone and iPad only. If you are one that has chosen something other than iOS the Vulkano is cheaper than Nomad and will stream live content in addition to stuff right off of the DVR.

I've waited for Android apps to get a Nomad, but I'll probably buy a Vulkano instead.

#30 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Apparently it's a reality for iPad users!

Any other Android tablet users here looking for dose of that reality? :)

#31 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

For the iPhone and iPad only. If you are one that has chosen something other than iOS the Vulkano is cheaper than Nomad and will stream live content in addition to stuff right off of the DVR.

I've waited for Android apps to get a Nomad, but I'll probably buy a Vulkano instead.

It also works a PC. Mac coming soooon.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#32 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I doubt we will ever be able to stream our recordings off our DVRs, whether inside our home or not. I think the best we are going to get is On-Demand like features and live TV. Or the ability to transcode and copy the recordings using Nomad.

Once all of the channels have come on board and the On-Demand libraries get built up I don't think people will really care about streaming from their recordings anyway. Just as easy to stream the program from On Demand if it's available (and you have internet service where you are). If you aren't going to have internet service where you're going that's what Nomad is for.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#33 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

I don't agree that simply building up the VOD library will make me not want to stream recorded content to my iPad in the same way I can to my laptop now. I want the iPad to stream DVR content so that the iPad could essentially operate as a location-independent TV screen. For example, I would love to be able to hit the record button while watching a show (regardless of what channel or network it's on) and be able to resume on the iPad while moving around the house. The nomad just doesn't cut it for that purpose.

With the streaming they have now and VOD content it's completely dependent on separate agreements / contracts to allow DirecTV to stream it. With the ability to watch DVR programming, I would be able to watch any station.

I would be fine if it required it to be on the same network as the DVR. I'm not looking for a true Slingbox-type stream, just a wireless solution in/around my house.

Yes, I know I can do this on my laptop now, but it's SO much more convenient to carry around an iPad than a laptop.

I'm not holding my breath, but it sure would be nice.

P.S. First post. Thanks for all of the great info on here.

#34 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

ummm you can watch yiour playlist on ipad
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#35 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

ummm you can watch yiour playlist on ipad

I can see the playlist, but I can't see the content of the shows themselves. Or am I missing something?

#36 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

right misread it...sorry
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#37 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't agree that simply building up the VOD library will make me not want to stream recorded content to my iPad in the same way I can to my laptop now. I want the iPad to stream DVR content so that the iPad could essentially operate as a location-independent TV screen. For example, I would love to be able to hit the record button while watching a show (regardless of what channel or network it's on) and be able to resume on the iPad while moving around the house. The nomad just doesn't cut it for that purpose.

With the streaming they have now and VOD content it's completely dependent on separate agreements / contracts to allow DirecTV to stream it. With the ability to watch DVR programming, I would be able to watch any station.

I would be fine if it required it to be on the same network as the DVR. I'm not looking for a true Slingbox-type stream, just a wireless solution in/around my house.

Yes, I know I can do this on my laptop now, but it's SO much more convenient to carry around an iPad than a laptop.

I'm not holding my breath, but it sure would be nice.

P.S. First post. Thanks for all of the great info on here.

If Sling function at home is what you want, then why not also have it on the road? I don't see contractual issues between the two.

spam firewall