Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Snow

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Whenever we get wet snow here (which honestly is rare), it packs on the dish if it comes down at the correct angle. The HD channels cut out and fail. The SD channels are always fine. It's the same dish. Why is that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

HD signals use the higher Ka-band frequencies, which are more susceptible to fading and dish imperfections (such as snow on the reflector). The SD channels use the lower Ku-band frequencies, which will also fade if there's enough snow, rain, or moisture content in the air or on the reflector.

In your case, there's enough snow to drop the Ka-band signals below the receiver's threshold, but the Ku-band signals do not drop below threshold.

By the way, you live in a great city! I love visiting there (and having a beer, or two...). :)

#3 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

So how do people deal w/snow in places where it really snows? I can't accept the fact that Directv (and Dish did this too!) in places like Minneapolis can't do HD dish in the winter.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

I can't answer that, although many on this forum have dealt with snow on their reflectors and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

We just don't get that much snow in SW Florida. :nono:

#5 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Wetter snow contains more water which is what absorbs/reflects the signal. In colder climates, the snow is drier/fluffier and contains less water. Some people in those climates use heaters on their reflectors to melt the stuff before it knocks the signal out.

BTW, I had snow on my dish this morning and it must have been at just the right spot as my HD channels were fine but the sd were SFS. :lol:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Wetter snow contains more water which is what absorbs/reflects the signal. In colder climates, the snow is drier/fluffier and contains less water. Some people in those climates use heaters on their reflectors to melt the stuff before it knocks the signal out.

Exactly. It is rare I get snow in Seattle, but when I do it is very wet, heavy snow and takes very little sticking on the dish to cause problems. Typically, when we get snow the temperature is around 32 to 35 degrees. Head east a few hundred miles and you're at 10 degrees. Totally different snow.

#7 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

BTW, I had snow on my dish this morning and it must have been at just the right spot as my HD channels were fine but the sd were SFS. :lol:

They are back on now....want to get out of here and off to work, but the schools are now on a 2 hr delay, ugh.

#8 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

So how do people deal w/snow in places where it really snows? I can't accept the fact that Directv (and Dish did this too!) in places like Minneapolis can't do HD dish in the winter.

When I lived in Chicago, I mounted my dish to a pole on the ground so I could easily wipe it off. When it got really bad out, I'd put a plastic bag over it. I've also seen people use dish heaters, and those seemed to work well too. The dry, fluffy stuff wasn't a problem - it was the wet pack that would cause outages.

#9 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

Whenever we get wet snow here (which honestly is rare), it packs on the dish if it comes down at the correct angle. The HD channels cut out and fail. The SD channels are always fine. It's the same dish. Why is that?

One of the things you can do is what skiers and snowboarders do, apply a wax to the surface of the dish. The snow should slide right off

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

When I lived in Chicago, I mounted my dish to a pole on the ground so I could easily wipe it off.

When I was in Chicago area that's what I did.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   sonofcool

sonofcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

So how do people deal w/snow in places where it really snows?

Although my dish is on the roof it's close to the edge and i keep a telescoping pole (normally used to clean high chandeliers, etc.) with a relatively stiff plastic brush handy, and I wipe it off.

Since I live in the mountains, the dish has to be mounted pretty high to see the birds.

This is only a minor issue when I'm home, when I'm away and this happens I might miss a recording, so it's not fully solving the problem.

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

"Sooper Soaker" style squirt gun filled with warm water works great.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Stay warm, dry, and out of the cold: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a1a14eeac

Saved my azz 4x last year. Of course I'm an old man have arthritis in my hands and knees and hate the cold but it was worth every penny (my dish is on ground pole mount). :)

This year the only snow we had was in October!

#14 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have NEVER had snow build up on either a dishnetwork dish or directv dish. Have had one or the other for 12 years.

We are basically straight south for directv up here, and the wind seems to keep it off. Also the elevation of only 38 helps. Sun also would melt it off quick being straight south. winds of up to 60 mph here kinda take care of any build up, and usually create a large drift south of the dish and way below LOS.

Mounting location has some to do with it, like just under an eave on the south side where the wind is always coming from NW could be an issue.

#15 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have the HotShot Dish Heater and we have had a lot of snow in the Denver area this year. I have not lost signal at all this year even after a 14 inch dump last month. Best satellite related purchase I have ever made!

#16 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

I have the HotShot Dish Heater and we have had a lot of snow in the Denver area this year. I have not lost signal at all this year even after a 14 inch dump last month. Best satellite related purchase I have ever made!

+1 on the Hot Shot but -10 on a 14" dump! :grin:

#17 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

Thanks to all.

My dish is way up on the top of the 2nd story of the home. For the rare event that it snows here and sticks to the dish I can deal with the SD version of the channels for the small amount of time. If I was ever going to re-install I might consider it in a more accessible location where I didn't need a 28 ladder to reach. Oh well. Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   SA Holly Springs GA

SA Holly Springs GA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

RainX Ice for windshields works like a charm

#19 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

The further north you are, the lower the satellites are in the sky, so the closer to vertical the dish surface gets, making it harder for snow to stick. Add in that colder temperatures make for drier, less sticky snow, and the lower water content of light fluffy snow makes it less problematical even when it does stick, and it all combines for fewer snow-fade problems.

In seven years in Michigan I never had disruption caused by snow on the dish even once. But then, I mounted it on the side of the house, directly under the eave overhang, and there was no ka band then.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

The direction of the approaching storm will also effect signal reception. Changing weather patterns where I live have produced increased rain fade during the summer and loss of signal in winter snow storms without snow accumulation on the dish.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...