Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RUMOR: Pay Per View Window Expanded to 48 Hours

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

This definitely has peeked my interest. I refuse to buy a PPV knowing that I only have 24hrs to watch it. Extending that timeframe has me back at the table.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

After getting screwed with the order 4 and get $10 off in December, they could make it an eternal rental and I doubt I'd ever use it again.

How did you get "screwed"? Didn't they give you the $10 credit?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

If they were $3.99 regardless of format (SD, HD, 1080p) with no limits, I'd cancel my Blockbuster account and go with it. At $5.99/movie, I am not interested.

#24 OFFLINE   diggerg56

diggerg56

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

When I can rent a Blu-Ray for $1.60 a night through Redbox vs. $5.99 for a HD movie for 24 hours through directv, I have to be pretty desperate to pull the trigger on the PPV.

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I can see how it will benefit some people and probably a good move, but since I've never in my life ordered anything on PPV, I'm not the target audience.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

We do 6-8 VoD PPV/year, so this'll be welcome at times. Even as few as 28-36 hours would have been handy a couple times. If you consider your viewing windows are often the same time-frame each day, 24 hours basically cuts you off just as you're getting to your next opportunity.

Edited by georule, 13 March 2012 - 07:30 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#27 ONLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I wonder if PPV #s are down?
my setup here

#28 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I haven't bought a PPV since the viewing window was put in and this will not change my mind at all.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think this is great news for those who rent DIRECTV PPV movies, as it gives them longer to view the movies, but it's not going to entice me to rent a DIRECTV movie.

Why? The old Netflix and Premiums argument: For one monthly payment that's just a few bucks more than DIRECTV charges for a single PPV I can stream movies from a huge Netflix library and watch them as many times as I want during the month. I also have the Premium package, so I can be patient for the movies to go from PPV to the Premiums and I can record and watch those as many times as I want.

Until DIRECTV goes the unlimited streaming route I'll be sticking with my delayed gratification plan...

#30 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Good deal. I used to buy about 1-2 per month but lately have lots of HD built up and just haven't had the time, but nice to know of the extended view time now. Very nice.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#31 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'd be more interested if it was lower priced and I could take it with me on my Nomad as I travel.

So if I start my travel on Monday but only watch half, I'd need the ability to watch the second half a few days later.

#32 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

We do the same here. I hate renting then having to return and waiting in a line and outside as that is the only choice for redbox around here. Its worth the extra money for the ease of use.:)

Cool, we use the PPV option for our movies. I like not having to go get them or return them.

#33 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

Finally. That's what I think. :)

With kids, it's sometimes hard to finish a movie in one sitting and I always wanted more time. So if this rumor really comes to fruition, it will be a welcome change.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#34 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

Sounds like revenues are down, maybe way down if they're finally budging on their 24-hour limit.

As for me I watch zero PPVs now, mostly because of the time limit but then also am not in the habit of using PPV. Will I watch more PPVs? Even an expanded time limit is a major impediment as I rarely get a movie watched in one sitting and I'm unlikely to spend the money and start watching a show I may never be able to finish, and now I'm still not in the habit of using PPV.

If these companies want me to use their service regularly then they've got to get me using it at all, and I don't think this small time limit expansion will do it.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#35 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

It will certainly change it from a "no way" to an option. Most of the times when we do watch a movie, it is a spur of the moment type thing and this change will at least allow us 2 nights to finish watching it. It is a welcome change.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about if it was the studios forcing this, then why did Uverse have 48-hour windows on some movies. I do wonder if PPV's are down and the studios see this as a reason why.

And while I don't rent enough movies that the price is a consideration, I do think they are not even close to being competitive with the other options out there. If I rented 2-3 a week then it would matter, but a couple a year, it doesn't. Yes, I realize that you pay something for convenience, but 5-6X more?

On the other hand, if I am sitting on my couch and decide I want to watch a movie, then my options are 1) pay DirecTV $6, 2) pay Redbox or BB $1+ and use a gallon of gas ($4) and hope they have the movie I want while taking 15+ minutes to do it. At that point, it becomes competitive. But for those who plan ahead and have NF or stop by RB/BB on the way home, it is not.

#36 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

It will certainly change it from a "no way" to an option. Most of the times when we do watch a movie, it is a spur of the moment type thing and this change will at least allow us 2 nights to finish watching it. It is a welcome change.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about if it was the studios forcing this, then why did Uverse have 48-hour windows on some movies. I do wonder if PPV's are down and the studios see this as a reason why.

And while I don't rent enough movies that the price is a consideration, I do think they are not even close to being competitive with the other options out there. If I rented 2-3 a week then it would matter, but a couple a year, it doesn't. Yes, I realize that you pay something for convenience, but 5-6X more?

On the other hand, if I am sitting on my couch and decide I want to watch a movie, then my options are 1) pay DirecTV $6, 2) pay Redbox or BB $1+ and use a gallon of gas ($4) and hope they have the movie I want while taking 15+ minutes to do it. At that point, it becomes competitive. But for those who plan ahead and have NF or stop by RB/BB on the way home, it is not.

My guess (and it is only a guess) is the time of the viewing window was dependant on D*'s negotiations with the studio and the cut D* would get for each movie. When the window was introduced there were some here that insisted the 24 hrs was a result of the studios only. However, other providers somehow were able to get a 48 hour window (Vudu is another one that offers a 48 hour window).

I think 48 hours is reasonable, 72 would be better IMO. I can see the rationale for making a window (what is the incentive to buy the movie when you get record a PPV and keep it for the life of your hard drive).

The increase window will make D* more of an option for me, however, I still prefer the true on demand and ease with Vudu.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#37 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Such a rumor is the Taliban's attempt to undermind DirecTV's PPV market. ;)

#38 OFFLINE   sorrycharlie

sorrycharlie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Why not just come up with a PPV package where you get every movie on PPV for a low price like 40-50 bucks a month including events? I Would be all over that.

#39 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

I can see the rationale for making a window (what is the incentive to buy the movie when you get record a PPV and keep it for the life of your hard drive).

But at the same time, I can wait 6 more months and record it off HBO etc. and keep it for the life of my drive.

I think the best solution would be unlimited viewings as long as it is available on PPV. Lets face it, if you are going to copy it with a capture card, you will do it the first time you watch it.

Now, knowing the above is never going to happen, the second best solution would be 1) unlimited viewings for 48 hours or 2) one complete viewing during the PPV period. DVR's are smart enough to know if you have watched it all the way through, so you could finish watching it on your schedule.

#40 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Well it's a good start but they are still to much money
[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

Protected By... spam firewall...And...