Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RUMOR: Pay Per View Window Expanded to 48 Hours

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Whogaman

Whogaman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Why not just come up with a PPV package where you get every movie on PPV for a low price like 40-50 bucks a month including events? I Would be all over that.

i guess people would like that, but on an economic level, it would be impractical. PPV program providers pay a premium to present their programs on the various PPV outlets. And with the economy as it is, and with some PPV program providers struggling like the WWE, they wouldn't make enough revenue on a one price for all model. I'll stay with Netflix, even though the Encore networks are pulling their content.

Peace Whoga
"Like the only real magic--the magic of knowledge"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

48 hours, huh? Still not worth it IMO.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#43 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Easier to rent from redbox.

#44 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

That is completely untrue. What could be easier than sitting on your couch and pressing play? You have to leave your house to use Redbox, at least I do.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#45 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

If it is easier, you must have a Red Box in your house. :lol:

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#46 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

No thanks Netflix works for me

JACK,

#47 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think this is great news for those who rent DIRECTV PPV movies, as it gives them longer to view the movies, but it's not going to entice me to rent a DIRECTV movie.

Why? The old Netflix and Premiums argument: For one monthly payment that's just a few bucks more than DIRECTV charges for a single PPV I can stream movies from a huge Netflix library and watch them as many times as I want during the month. I also have the Premium package, so I can be patient for the movies to go from PPV to the Premiums and I can record and watch those as many times as I want.

Until DIRECTV goes the unlimited streaming route I'll be sticking with my delayed gratification plan...

Me neither, but for an entirely different reason. Until they figure out how to stream 1080P AND DTS-HD MA, then Blu-ray is the only way I'll watch movies in my home theatre.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#48 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

PPV is WAY overpriced and really quit watching PPV when they imposed the viewing limits.

#49 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

PPV is WAY overpriced and really quit watching PPV when they imposed the viewing limits.

For me, it is priced just right. It is worth it for me to have the movie automatically download and show up in my queue along with my other programs every Tuesday when released and I just have to hit play to watch (you can pre-queue most movies while they are still in the theater like Netflix USED to allow you to do).

The only downside was the 24 hour window for us. We would never rent a movie over 90 minutes, but now that should not be an issue anymore since we can split it over two or three days (whatever it turns out to be I guess).

#50 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

I hope this turns out to be true. I rent about 10 PPV movies a year and the short viewing window was already irritating. It is great to just make that impulse buy to see a very new movie without even having to raise the recliner!! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,192 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

It doesn't matter how long they increase the rental time (NO PPV FOR ME) - We all pay way too much a month for a lot of channels we don't watch ( Doesn't matter what package you subscribe too) to be paying extra for a product that couldn't even last in a theater.:nono2:

What he said.

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

The only time I rented a PPV movie, I ran into the 24 hour window. This is a good change. The fact that I couldn't watch the movie a second time the next night kept me from trying a PPV since then.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#53 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Too pricey, too late (in extending the use time) for me.

Netflix. We watch at least 3 to 4 movies a week, plus a few series off an on. 8 bucks a month. (streaming).

I've never seen or heard the numbers, but I doubt D* is thinking of making this change out of the goodness of their hearts. My guess is that the PPV market from D* is, shall we say.....under performing.

I don't think this rumored change will make much difference. Too many cheaper alternatives. Convenience is only worth so much.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#54 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think 72 hours would be perfect. You could rent your movies Friday afternoon when you get home and have all weekend, plus a little of Monday, to watch them. Seems quite fair to me.

#55 OFFLINE   curbside

curbside

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

I stopped buying PPV after DirecTV stopped the "one free PPV a month coupon" about 10 years ago.
DirecTV since June 1996
HR24-500, HR24-200, 2 x H24-700 with WHDVR

#56 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Best grandpa voice. I remember when p.p.v. was 1.99 all day ticket. It was cheaper than 3.00 a night at the video store.

#57 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

I have Netflix for streaming/Blu-Ray and BB for Blu-Ray's as well, which I reserve for the better new releases. Can't beat the lossless audio and higher visual resolution (bandwidth) formats of BD and it's also much cheaper then PPV.

Ian
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,192 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

I think 72 hours would be perfect. You could rent your movies Friday afternoon when you get home and have all weekend, plus a little of Monday, to watch them. Seems quite fair to me.

Seems to me that 72 hour limit would hang heavy on my mind much as "homework" always did. I don't like limits, even the limits on VOD, which are much longer, annoy me. Add to that, the $114 a month I pay for the Premium movie package, and buying PPV makes little sense to me. I don't really need "instant gratification".

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Too pricey, too late (in extending the use time) for me.

Netflix. We watch at least 3 to 4 movies a week, plus a few series off an on. 8 bucks a month. (streaming).

I've never seen or heard the numbers, but I doubt D* is thinking of making this change out of the goodness of their hearts. My guess is that the PPV market from D* is, shall we say.....under performing.

I don't think this rumored change will make much difference. Too many cheaper alternatives. Convenience is only worth so much.

Yeah Netflix makes a lot more sense if you watch a lot of movies.It can get a little expensive if you subscribe to the 8 movies out at a time plan & add blu ray access but you're only paying for movies that you want to watch.
The only bad thing about Netflix is that you have to wait 30 days to get new releases from some studios.

#60 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

When I'm paying $91/month for the BASIC service + HD + 1 DVR, they can make PPVs keep forever and I still wouldn't give them another red cent. $5.99 for something I can download off the net for free? No thanks.

spam firewall