Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RUMOR: Pay Per View Window Expanded to 48 Hours

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

When I'm paying $91/month for the BASIC service + HD + 1 DVR, they can make PPVs keep forever and I still wouldn't give them another red cent. $5.99 for something I can download off the net for free? No thanks.

Why pay for TV at all, then? You can download pretty much all shows for free.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 805 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

If it is easier, you must have a Red Box in your house. :lol:

Let's see, wait for the next D* viewing opportunity and hope it works, or stop at one of the 5 Red Box locations that are all less than 2 miles from my house and pick up the BluRay.

I tried 3 times to watch Moneyball on D* PPV. Their system had no problem at all with the charges, it just wouldn't show me anything but the D* logo screen. The BluRay I got from Red Box worked perfectly the very second that I closed the tray on my player.

Yeah, to me, Red Box is easier because it actually works.

#63 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 805 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

When I'm paying $91/month for the BASIC service + HD + 1 DVR, they can make PPVs keep forever and I still wouldn't give them another red cent. $5.99 for something I can download off the net for free? No thanks.

Pirating content doesn't make that content "free".

#64 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Movies and On Demand titles have a varying rental authorization period of 24, 48 or 72 hours, depending on the title and method used to order content.

The authorization period extension is based on agreements made between DIRECTV and various film studios to allow customers more time to enjoy purchased titles.

Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#65 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I just hope they get that on screen soon.

#66 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,378 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

They are way out of line with pricing on the PPV movies.
Like my son once said, "Why are we paying for all of these premium channels if we are going to rent the movies one at a time for one night ?
I can wait until it comes on one of them."

I got one movie 3 years ago just to see what a 1080p movie looked like in place of the 1080i. Total waste of money in mine and his opinion.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#67 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

Like my son once said, "Why are we paying for all of these premium channels if we are going to rent the movies one at a time for one night ?

I got one movie 3 years ago just to see what a 1080p movie looked like in place of the 1080i. Total waste of money in mine and his opinion.

I'm curious. What would be your idea for pricing of a PPV movie?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#68 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

If they were competitive with Redbox we would watch 2-3 a week. With the DirecTv pricing we have ordered 2 in 9 years.

#69 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

Keep in mind the movie and music industries are two of the greediest enterprises in America. For decades they have figured more ways of repeatedly profiting from the same product than any other business.

#70 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Look at the price in the market. RedBox can let me have a movie (Blu-Ray) for $1.50 per day. The studios get a percentage of this so we know their cut is less than $1.50 per day (or 24-hour period), but will use $1.5 for the purposes of this.

Now DirecTV wants $5.99 per 24-hour period. Take out the studio's cut of $1.50 (again we know it is less than $1.50) and DirecTV is getting $4.49 from this.

Now assuming RedBox did not have to pay the studios a cut, they are able to place boxes all over place and rent blu-rays for $1.50. So if they can do it for $1.50, the DirecTV should be able to beam them down from their satellites for $1.50.

So take the studio's cut at $1.50 and add the cost of the providing the service of $1.50 which equals $3.00. Call it $2.99. That should be the cost of a PPV for 24-hours.

#71 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Look at the price in the market. RedBox can let me have a movie (Blu-Ray) for $1.50 per day. The studios get a percentage of this so we know their cut is less than $1.50 per day (or 24-hour period), but will use $1.5 for the purposes of this.

Now DirecTV wants $5.99 per 24-hour period. Take out the studio's cut of $1.50 (again we know it is less than $1.50) and DirecTV is getting $4.49 from this.

Now assuming RedBox did not have to pay the studios a cut, they are able to place boxes all over place and rent blu-rays for $1.50. So if they can do it for $1.50, the DirecTV should be able to beam them down from their satellites for $1.50.

So take the studio's cut at $1.50 and add the cost of the providing the service of $1.50 which equals $3.00. Call it $2.99. That should be the cost of a PPV for 24-hours.

I look at it from a business point of view. With any business it's all about profits. The bigger the profits the better. That aside, $5.99 for the convenience of a 24hr PPV is a bargain when you compare what it would cost to go to a movie theater to see a movie.

#72 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

With any business it's all about profits. The bigger the profits the better...... That aside, $5.99 for the convenience of a 24hr PPV is a bargain when you compare what it would cost to go to a movie theater to see a movie.

Absolutely it is about profits. But is DirecTV maximizing profits at $5.99? Would they sell 2x as many at $3.99 and make more profits? Since we don't have access to the numbers, we can't say. But given that most people on this board, many of whom are big fans of DirecTV, think the price is too high, I would guess the average sub thinks it is too high.

Also, PPV are not necessarily competing against the theaters. Somewhere in my brain I want to think that back when I first got DirecTV, PPV's were available before the movies were available on VHS. Not a huge gap, but a gap. Of course back then the time from theaters to VHS was a lot longer.

So PPV's are competing mainly against RB and BB and NF, not the theater. In that comparison, they lose. Maybe a slight bump for spur of the moment convenience, but not for those who can plan. Or who have fast enough internet to make streaming effective.

#73 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,378 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

$ 3.00 or less.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

I keep the Premium package just for the scripted programs

I did that about the same time, give or take. I rented Australia on BD and downloaded the PPV 1080p version of Australia and played them both at the same time, switching back and forth between the BD player and an HR and I really didn't see very much difference in the PQ of either offering. Still rather have it on a BD tho.

Rich

#75 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

That's a good question! We oughta run a thread on that.

Rich

#76 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Keep in mind the movie and music industries are two of the greediest enterprises in America. For decades they have figured more ways of repeatedly profiting from the same product than any other business.

True, Star Wars is a perfect example of that.

Rich

#77 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Let's see, wait for the next D* viewing opportunity and hope it works, or stop at one of the 5 Red Box locations that are all less than 2 miles from my house and pick up the BluRay.

I tried 3 times to watch Moneyball on D* PPV. Their system had no problem at all with the charges, it just wouldn't show me anything but the D* logo screen. The BluRay I got from Red Box worked perfectly the very second that I closed the tray on my player.

Yeah, to me, Red Box is easier because it actually works.

I just rented a BD from Red Box and it was scratched and wouldn't playback the last 45 minutes of the film. When I went to return it today the kiosk was down and I had to go find another location. Nothing's perfect in a imperfect world and that goes for RB as well.

Ian ;)
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#78 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

A lot of people are familiar with Netflix and Netflix pricing, so it may be reasonable to start with their DVD rental plan of one-out-at-a-time, for $7.99 a month. Assuming that it takes 4 days round trip per DVD (1-2 days to get to you, you watch it that same night and return it the next day, 1-2 days to return to Netflix), in a month one can average approximately 7 moves. This brings the price of a single-movie rental to ~$1.15 from Netflix.

In that light, $5.99 seems just a tad high for a single movie rental, doesn't it?

#79 OFFLINE   NewView

NewView

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

The MPAA's rules that PPV rentals via DirecTV not exceed 24 hrs effectively & completely eliminated my viewing of PPV movies. I no longer desire to spend my cash on their over-priced service.

DirecTV DVR Will Delete Pay-Per-View Shows
from the record-at-your-own-risk dept

First we had ABC thinking that not allowing people to fast forward through commercials on a DVR-type product was a good idea, and now comes the news that DirecTV will automatically delete Pay-Per-View shows you record with your DVR after 24-hours. This is apparently at the request of the major Hollywood studios who have decided that the best way to build up an audience is to piss them off by not allowing them to record the movies that they legally paid for via PPV, and then chose to record and time shift. Time shifting is perfectly legal, so there's absolutely no legal reason for DirecTV to ban the practice. As for the Hollywood studios, this is more backwards thinking. One of these days, someone in Hollywood is going to realize that pissing off your loyal customers isn't a good idea.

http://www.techdirt....172617589.shtml

Edited by NewView, 17 March 2012 - 09:20 PM.

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB
HR21-200

#80 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

I appreciate the effort, but still too expensive. I still miss the long term pay per views they had years ago, but understand why they changed them.

spam firewall