Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RUMOR: Pay Per View Window Expanded to 48 Hours

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

Doesn't DTV PPV get movies from some studios faster than NetFlix?
Those are the only movies I would get on PPV. Everything else they can keep.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   cjaredscott

cjaredscott

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

It is true. I just queued a movie and it said "48 HR RENTAL PREMIERES ON 3/27"

I hope this is true.

#83 OFFLINE   cjaredscott

cjaredscott

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

I hope this is true.

Or at least it seems to be true...

#84 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yes, 30 days. Warner Brothers is one and I think Fox and Universal are as well.

What I see before long is a 30 day moratorium on rentals for all studios. Force consumers who want the movie to buy it, then release it to the rental outfits. Of course, NF, BB and RB could just purchase the movies at retail, but that would severely cut into profits.

#85 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

A lot of people are familiar with Netflix and Netflix pricing, so it may be reasonable to start with their DVD rental plan of one-out-at-a-time, for $7.99 a month. Assuming that it takes 4 days round trip per DVD (1-2 days to get to you, you watch it that same night and return it the next day, 1-2 days to return to Netflix), in a month one can average approximately 7 moves. This brings the price of a single-movie rental to ~$1.15 from Netflix.

In that light, $5.99 seems just a tad high for a single movie rental, doesn't it?

Don't know how many DVDs or BDs I go thru in a month, but I've got a plan that gives me five discs at a time and usually go thru them in less than a week. I wish I could figure out what that costs per disc, but it's a whole lot less than PPV per disc. I don't watch many movies, been watching BBCA content lately (much better on discs than streaming or D*). I usually watch two hours of NF content a day. At least.

Hmm. Conservatively, that would be 30 discs a month. For ~$42 a month. A buck and change apiece, no? I could watch 30 BD movies a month if I could find some I have interest in. That would cost $180 for PPV for the month. I think I'll stick with NF.

Rich

#86 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

Why pay for TV at all, then? You can download pretty much all shows for free.

Very true and a mighty good question. Apperently lots of people out there agree with you :).

#87 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

I hope this is true.

LOL... 48 vs. 24... oh boy... get ready for a price increase :D.

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Very true and a mighty good question. Apperently lots of people out there agree with you :).

I tried to talk my wife and son into doing just that last year. Didn't work. I could be happy with Net content.

Rich

#89 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

I tried to talk my wife and son into doing just that last year. Didn't work. I could be happy with Net content.

Rich

How would you watch the Yankees?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

How would you watch the Yankees?

Not sure how I would have handled that. Might have kept D* with just two DVRs. They didn't let me get out my plans, they just nixed the whole idea.

Rich

#91 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Why pay for TV at all, then? You can download pretty much all shows for free.

Most of us don't like stealing, and even though it may cost more than we would like it to, we will pay for it first.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#92 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Most of us don't like stealing, and even though it may cost more than we would like it to, we will pay for it first.

I wasn't condoning it, just pointing out the flawed logic.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#93 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I wasn't condoning it, just pointing out the flawed logic.

I understood that and meant it as a general statement, not aimed at your comment.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#94 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I bet if you are a PPV fan -I bet you can't wait for the 48 hour rental of the GEM :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2...wn-john-carter/
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#95 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't LIKE "stealing", I have a basic subscription to DTV + HD + DVR. I think its already overpriced. I am not going to pay $5 to $6 for a movie that will get deleted after 2 days. I used to buy PPVs when they were $39.99 / $3.99. Not gonna happen when they are $60+ / $5.99 (and deleted after 1 day).

#96 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Those are the only movies I would get on PPV. Everything else they can keep.

Yes. 30 days typically but some studios are now moving to even longer period of times is my understanding.

Yes, the 48 and 72 hour windows have been implemented for some titles where allowed.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#97 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Look at the price in the market. RedBox can let me have a movie (Blu-Ray) for $1.50 per day. The studios get a percentage of this so we know their cut is less than $1.50 per day (or 24-hour period), but will use $1.5 for the purposes of this.

Now DirecTV wants $5.99 per 24-hour period. Take out the studio's cut of $1.50 (again we know it is less than $1.50) and DirecTV is getting $4.49 from this.

Now assuming RedBox did not have to pay the studios a cut, they are able to place boxes all over place and rent blu-rays for $1.50. So if they can do it for $1.50, the DirecTV should be able to beam them down from their satellites for $1.50.

So take the studio's cut at $1.50 and add the cost of the providing the service of $1.50 which equals $3.00. Call it $2.99. That should be the cost of a PPV for 24-hours.

In the DVD model the distributor buys the DVD for a one time price and then monetizes it over and over and over again each time the DVD is rented out. The studio gets their cut one time, not repeatedly.

In the streaming model, including PPV, it is transactional usually. The studio is getting a cut (a healthy one) every time the movie is rented. Every PPV, every purchase on iTunes or Xbox. Every time. That is why Red Box can charge what they are charging because their cost structure is much different for the titles.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#98 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Yes. 30 days typically but some studios are now moving to even longer period of times is my understanding.

Apparently Warner Brothers wanted a 56 day delay, and RedBox said "No Thanks" and is buying them another route (probably retail price).

http://latimesblogs....-day-delay.html

#99 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Yes, the 48 and 72 hour windows have been implemented for some titles where allowed.

Apparently Warner Brothers wanted a 56 day delay, and RedBox said "No Thanks" and is buying them another route (probably retail price).

http://latimesblogs....-day-delay.html

NetFlix is also refusing to carry some titles on BluRay at all.Things that I know for a fact are on bluray like the last two seasons of Doctor Who.

#100 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

In the DVD model the distributor buys the DVD for a one time price and then monetizes it over and over and over again each time the DVD is rented out. The studio gets their cut one time, not repeatedly.

In the streaming model, including PPV, it is transactional usually. The studio is getting a cut (a healthy one) every time the movie is rented. Every PPV, every purchase on iTunes or Xbox. Every time. That is why Red Box can charge what they are charging because their cost structure is much different for the titles.

While Redbox may use this model, Blockbuster pioneered a revenue sharing agreement in the late 90's. They got to buy movies for a low price, but then gave the studios a percentage (35-40) of the total rental revenue from those movies. Could be why Blockbuster never had the 30 day wait period.

spam firewall