Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL Blackouts Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Think this will go anywhere?

http://m.nypost.com/...qFnRErRXWWSuuUK

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

No.

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

No.

I agree.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

The article doesn't even make sense. They can't see their home team's away games???? Is this a suit to force them OTA?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I don't understand what they are suing for. You have to pay to watch home or away....they come on the same damn set of channels usually.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I wonder if this is specific to the NYC area with three 'local' teams.

#7 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

I don't understand what they are suing for. You have to pay to watch home or away....they come on the same damn set of channels usually.

Not always. If you have the Sports Package, games are in the clear on the local RSN, but they are blacked out on the out-of-market RSNs. Usually, though, only the home games are shown on the local RSN. The only way to get the away games is to subscribe to Center Ice, even though the away games are home games on other RSNs, they are blacked out on the Sports Pack, even in the away team's designated area.

#8 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'm sorry, trying to follow that gave me a headache. Could you provide an example?

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'm sorry, trying to follow that gave me a headache. Could you provide an example?

Sure. Peeps in zip code 35214 get the Atlanta Thrashers home games on SportSouth. if they're in Detroit, playing the Red Wings, they would not get the FS Detroit feed to see the Thrashers, even if SportSouth blacks it out also.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not always. If you have the Sports Package, games are in the clear on the local RSN, but they are blacked out on the out-of-market RSNs. Usually, though, only the home games are shown on the local RSN. The only way to get the away games is to subscribe to Center Ice, even though the away games are home games on other RSNs, they are blacked out on the Sports Pack, even in the away team's designated area.

Finally - someone who knows how to explain it. The problem is, there is nothing logical about it........

#11 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I tend to agree that this is going nowhere, but I'd blame the reporter for making it incomprehensible. What I suspect is that they are pushing for the concept that if I pay for an NHL package (NHLCI) then I get ALL NHL games, period, regardless of where I am.

(I already hate the idea that I get NHLCI on DirecTV only. NBA fans order League Pass, and they can watch on PC or iPhone. We don't even get a subscriber discount to watch elsewhere. If I want NHLCI on my iPhone I'd have to pay twice! Unrelated rant over.)

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#12 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Sure. Peeps in zip code 35214 get the Atlanta Thrashers home games on SportSouth. if they're in Detroit, playing the Red Wings, they would not get the FS Detroit feed to see the Thrashers, even if SportSouth blacks it out also.

No idea what you are talking about. The Thrashers don't exist anymore. And I have never seen this issue you speak of. I live in Lightning territory and Sunsports televises almost every game of theirs home or away. Yes, the occasional few they don't are blacked out whether it's being televised in the other teams market or not. So what? That's life. I don't believe any team has 100% of their game televised to their home markets and if there are it's very few.

#13 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I tend to agree that this is going nowhere, but I'd blame the reporter for making it incomprehensible. What I suspect is that they are pushing for the concept that if I pay for an NHL package (NHLCI) then I get ALL NHL games, period, regardless of where I am.

(I already hate the idea that I get NHLCI on DirecTV only. NBA fans order League Pass, and they can watch on PC or iPhone. We don't even get a subscriber discount to watch elsewhere. If I want NHLCI on my iPhone I'd have to pay twice! Unrelated rant over.)

If you purchase and they have the blackout rules available for you to have read, you have no case.

#14 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

No idea what you are talking about. The Thrashers don't exist anymore. And I have never seen this issue you speak of. I live in Lightning territory and Sunsports televises almost every game of theirs home or away. Yes, the occasional few they don't are blacked out whether it's being televised in the other teams market or not. So what? That's life. I don't believe any team has 100% of their game televised to their home markets and if there are it's very few.

I know that all Islanders games are televised, and so far all have been available on NHLCI.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#15 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

You could be like me and everyone else in the 067xx zipcodes in CT... When the NHL Network nationally televises the Rangers, it is completely blacked out in the 067xx zipcode area on not only the NHL network, but the RSN as well.

It's supposed to be one or the other. If you are not under an RSN telecast then it should be available on the NHL Network or vice versa. NEITHER is available to that zipcode range. Whenever the game is on either NBS Sports network or just plan RSN, I get it fine.

That's the kind of stuff that should be targeted. I don't think this lawsuit will go anywhere(if I understood it right).

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#16 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

That I can follow. The Thrasher example isn't a good one because those blackout rules exist in every sport. If your local rsn or it's isn't televising a game and you live in that home market, you can't watch the opponent feed. Here in Lightning territory, if the Lightning are in Detroit, I can't watch the Wings feed -- whether or not TB chooses to televise the game. That goes for home games too. I can only see the Lightning on the local RSN, unless they're being carried nationally.

#17 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

That sounds like a Directv screwup, not an NHL CI issue. I don't have that problem here.

The above was directed to the poster talking about the Rangers NHL Network/RSN issue.

#18 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

That sounds like a Directv screwup, not an NHL CI issue. I don't have that problem here.

The above was directed to the poster talking about the Rangers NHL Network/RSN issue.

No, it's an NHL/NHL Network issue confirmed by people in the know here. The issue is not restricted to Directv. It's been like this since the NHLN started covering full games. The NHL Network has an overly restrictive blackout area that is not in sync with the regional networks. I send them(NHL) email after email and they don't even have the courtesy to respond.

This is only a NHLN thing. For instance, last night's game was blacked out on MSG but fully available to me on the NBC Sports Network, with no issue.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#19 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

I know that all Islanders games are televised, and so far all have been available on NHLCI.

I think what the suit is trying to say is that the NHL should not be able to force people to buy Center Ice to see out-of-market games. If the game is broadcast anywhere, then viewers anywhere should be able to see the game without being forced to pay more just because they live in the wrong zip code.

The situation is not unique to the NHL. It just happens that this suit was brought by hockey fans. It just as easily could have applied to MLB, or the NBA. I understand the NFL rule that blacks out games in the home team territory if the game is not sold out and I could even understand blacking out all other games if the home team is playing at home and the game is not sold out, but blacking out all out-of-market games because you live in the wrong zip code makes no sense to me, especially if it is your home team playing on the road.

#20 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

I know it ticks me off that I have to search and guess which channel won't be blacked out to record the Penguins. Like last night, the game was listed to be on 3 different channels (not including the center ice channels or NY RSN feeds). I had to set up 3 recordings to to make sure I got the game (the blackout search feature is great but it has failed me in the past so I don't rely on it).

The game WAS listed to be on NHL network, Root SPorts Pitt, and NBC Sports.

Well it eneded up being blacked out on Root, and NHL network showed the first 10 minutes of the game and then seemed to switch to the flyers islanders game, so I ended up having to switch to NBC network to finish watching the game.

Apparently sometime this week both NHL network and NBC sports picked the game up at the last minute because of Crosby's return.

I would guess in total there was about 6 channels that this game could have been viewed on, MSG, Root Pitt,NHL network, NBC Sport, Center Ice Pitt Feed, Center Ice NY feed. Its like playing roulette to guess which channel you have to record, esp when it changes at the last minute.

*/ rant over!

spam firewall