Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL Blackouts Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

So it sounds like either live in your favorite team's market and get all games for free with a base package, or live far away from it and pay to get all games on Center Ice plus the national games won't be blacked out, but don't live near your team's market or you get screwed.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

So it sounds like either live in your favorite team's market and get all games for free with a base package, or live far away from it and pay to get all games on Center Ice plus the national games won't be blacked out, but don't live near your team's market or you get screwed.

That works unless your team is featured on an NBC sunday game where they show different games in different regions of the country (like football).

So if you live far away you'll see San Jose vs Detroit instead of a Penguins Flyers game that you really wanted to watch.

Also if the team in your home market is playing your favorite team you might miss out on it that way as well if the stars align in rare cases like the ones discussed in this thread.

#28 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

I think the NBC problem only happens on Hockey Day in America. Every other Sunday NBC picks a single game. However, your point is well taken.

I've been a Penguins fan living in the Baltimore/DC area for 13 years. I've had NHL Center Ice on DIRECTV the entire time. I barely remember the early days, but I think maybe some games weren't broadcast on Center Ice for reasons I can't remember. It's been a long, long time since I haven't been able to watch a Pens game. Every Caps game is broadcast so when they play them, I'm just forced to watch it on their channel. This year's Hockey Day in America did force me to watch a Pens game on NBC.com, but I was able to see it.

That's why I was surprised by this thread. I didn't know people had this problem. I guess I'm lucky.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...