Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL Blackouts Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

So what? That's life. I don't believe any team has 100% of their game televised to their home markets and if there are it's very few.

Most NHL teams have 100% of games televised,only a few still have "radio games ".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Here's what I don't get. There are RSNs that only show team's home games? You shouldn't be complaining to NHL you should be complaining to the RSN. RSNs should show every single game and make a game only subchannel if they have multiple teams sports to cover. That's what they're for.

#23 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Didn't read Tanks' response. Exactly, most DO show every game (well every one not nationally televised). I figured it was all. Had no idea some didn't. Still fault of RSN not league.

#24 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I just took a quick look at some of the schedules for teams that had "radio games" in the past.

CAR seems to only have 67 on tv games

PHX- 50 games

Couldn't tell by schedule but Columbus and NSH might have had radio only games.

The lack of a full tv schedule looks to be the problem of the RSN in the area.

#25 OFFLINE   mulliniks

mulliniks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

No, it's an NHL/NHL Network issue confirmed by people in the know here. The issue is not restricted to Directv. It's been like this since the NHLN started covering full games. The NHL Network has an overly restrictive blackout area that is not in sync with the regional networks. I send them(NHL) email after email and they don't even have the courtesy to respond.

This is only a NHLN thing. For instance, last night's game was blacked out on MSG but fully available to me on the NBC Sports Network, with no issue.

This happens up here in the Hartford area, too. If NHLN picks up a Rangers game, then it's blacked out everywhere. Makes paying for CI so that I can watch Rangers games quite frustrating. Why can't it work the same way as Yankees, Mets or Red Sox games on MLBN, which are usually blacked out on MLBN but still available to me on the RSN broadcasting the game (YES, SNY or NESN)? And my emails to the NHL complaining about the overly restrictive blackouts get no response, either. I even went so far as to file a complaint with the FCC--knowing that it wouldn't go anywhere because the FCC really wasn't the right place to go to with my complaints--but at least the FCC sent me its stock response explaining that I was barking up the wrong tree.

#26 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

So it sounds like either live in your favorite team's market and get all games for free with a base package, or live far away from it and pay to get all games on Center Ice plus the national games won't be blacked out, but don't live near your team's market or you get screwed.

#27 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

So it sounds like either live in your favorite team's market and get all games for free with a base package, or live far away from it and pay to get all games on Center Ice plus the national games won't be blacked out, but don't live near your team's market or you get screwed.

That works unless your team is featured on an NBC sunday game where they show different games in different regions of the country (like football).

So if you live far away you'll see San Jose vs Detroit instead of a Penguins Flyers game that you really wanted to watch.

Also if the team in your home market is playing your favorite team you might miss out on it that way as well if the stars align in rare cases like the ones discussed in this thread.

#28 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

I think the NBC problem only happens on Hockey Day in America. Every other Sunday NBC picks a single game. However, your point is well taken.

I've been a Penguins fan living in the Baltimore/DC area for 13 years. I've had NHL Center Ice on DIRECTV the entire time. I barely remember the early days, but I think maybe some games weren't broadcast on Center Ice for reasons I can't remember. It's been a long, long time since I haven't been able to watch a Pens game. Every Caps game is broadcast so when they play them, I'm just forced to watch it on their channel. This year's Hockey Day in America did force me to watch a Pens game on NBC.com, but I was able to see it.

That's why I was surprised by this thread. I didn't know people had this problem. I guess I'm lucky.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...