Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can you get a hopper without adding a joey?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

I have a vip 922 I want to upgrade to the hopper but I dont' want any joeys.. is it possible?
Bring On More HD!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

You need the Hopper as it has the tuners, Joeys are for adding additional tv's to the system. If you have one tv, you do not need any Joey's.

#3 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have a few other tv's but I don't need the joey's on them.. I just want the hopper. A few reps tell me you can't get just a hopper you have to replace all of your other receivers with Joeys.
Bring On More HD!

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

You cannot run a Hopper with any legacy Dish equipment.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have a few other tv's but I don't need the joey's on them.. I just want the hopper. A few reps tell me you can't get just a hopper you have to replace all of your other receivers with Joeys.

If you replace with a Hopper, you cannot have any other type of receiver except a Joey. All your other tv's will not have any receiver to receive Dish's signal since they will be removed from your active account.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

A few reps tell me you can't get just a hopper you have to replace all of your other receivers with Joeys.

A few of the reps are right. For some reason DISH has decided that the "better way" is to change out entire households to Hopper/Joey instead of allowing a mix of Hopper/Joey and ViP or other equipment.

Personally I like the idea of having a separate receiver with its own tuners and recording capability as an OPTION. But it seems that the business rules are against this.

And the concept in the title of having a Hopper an no Joeys is appealing to me as well. The Hopper itself seems like a decent receiver without the "whole house" features. It will be better when it can record OTA. (Which is one reason why people might want to hang on to their ViP receivers.)

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

It will be better when it can record OTA. (Which is one reason why people might want to hang on to their ViP receivers.)

In other words, as with almost all new technology, wait several months before jumping. Let somebody else have the headaches and growing pains.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Of those headaches and growing pains, the potential for an unusual number of hard drive failures.

#9 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I just replaced my lone 722 with a lone hopper (no joeys). No problem.

#10 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Of those headaches and growing pains, the potential for an unusual number of hard drive failures.

I fail to see how the failure rate of an HDD inside the Hopper would be different from any other application, whether it be a DVR or computer.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#11 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

It isn't, that's the point. The Hopper isn't using the same size hard drive as with previous DISH DVRs. And, the hard drive failure rate with large hard drives is based on observations used in computers, and a DVR is basically a type of computer.

#12 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

It isn't, that's the point. The Hopper isn't using the same size hard drive as with previous DISH DVRs. And, the hard drive failure rate with large hard drives is based on observations used in computers, and a DVR is basically a type of computer.

It sounds like you are saying only small hard drives are dependable? Be nice to see some hard data supporting your theory on that one.
Fred

#13 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have heard of people getting hoppers without joey's and I have heard of people being forced to get a joey with their hopper. There seems to be some inconsistentcies.
Some people being forced to upgrade to higher end packages and others able to keep their lower end packages.

#14 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

It sounds like you are saying only small hard drives are dependable? Be nice to see some hard data supporting your theory on that one.

First off, I didn't add the spam link in my reply. I don't know where the spam link came from, but I didn't put the spam there, and I wish the spam was removed.

No, I'm not saying that the small hard drives are always dependable. I'm saying that larger hard drives are less dependable. Particularly ones that were made around the time of the flooding. The hard data can be seen from actual purchases wherever hard drives are sold.

Check out New egg, for example. Look at the unusually high failure and return rates. Then look at the replacements that also quickly died. I've read reviews where 10 drives were purchased and 90 percent have needed RMA over a short period of time. While any size and brand of hard drive can die, the larger hard drives (2TB and above) seem to have a higher failure rate than when compared to their smaller counterparts.

Edited by Blowgun, 16 March 2012 - 10:40 AM.
Attempted to remove another added spam link

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Off topic, but I don't think that's spam, that's probably the Viglink stuff that DBSTalk is using to make a little extra money.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have a vip 922 I want to upgrade to the hopper but I dont' want any joeys.. is it possible?

Yes, just call them.

#17 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Off topic, but I don't think that's spam, that's probably the Viglink stuff that DBSTalk is using to make a little extra money.

Thanks.

#18 OFFLINE   dbldaz

dbldaz

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

I contacted a CSR to replace my 722 with a Hopper. I was told that I had to pay the $4 a month Whole-Home DVR Fee even though I only I have 1 Hopper and no Joeys.

Has anyone been able to have this fee waived when only using 1 Hopper and no Joeys?

#19 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

That would be nice, but I have not been able to do that either.

#20 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

That is a new fee (Whole Home) associated with the Hopper, even though you may not have any Joeys. Thanks.

I contacted a CSR to replace my 722 with a Hopper. I was told that I had to pay the $4 a month Whole-Home DVR Fee even though I only I have 1 Hopper and no Joeys.

Has anyone been able to have this fee waived when only using 1 Hopper and no Joeys?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...