Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cisco buying NDS for $5 billion

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I'm putting this here since NDS does some of the software for several DirecTV receivers, plus the access card technology.

Cisco is buying NDS for $5 billion, expected to close in the second quarter. Cisco also bought Scientific Atlanta in the set top industry, in 2005.

http://www.zdnet.com...col;editorPicks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Yeah I saw that today. Wonder over time how that will change - if anything... NDS relationship with DirecTV. They also write the Active channel content too right? Stuff from Games to Active to ScoreGuide, etc...

I liked the NDS version of the DirecTV guide because when you pressed guide, the picture zoomed up into the PIG. DirecTV's in house software doesn't do this... but the HD-GUI is better overall so that I can understand.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm curious as well. I know that when I had cable, I hated the Scientific Atlanta DVR, don't know if Cisco improved it (or how much it had to do with Time Warner). Fortunately though, NDS isn't in charge of most of the software with DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm curious as well. I know that when I had cable, I hated the Scientific Atlanta DVR, don't know if Cisco improved it (or how much it had to do with Time Warner). Fortunately though, NDS isn't in charge of most of the software with DirecTV.

Cisco/SA good boxes, all depends on the software. Passport Echo for instance is far nicer to operate than the default, ugly SARA set top application.

NDS also makes "trio", MR-DVR software for Cox cable.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#5 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Cisco/SA good boxes, all depends on the software. Passport Echo for instance is far nicer to operate than the default, ugly SARA set top application.

NDS also makes "trio", MR-DVR software for Cox cable.

I moved from CT to SC in December, and we originally went with our local MSO. The SARA guide was so bad, I missed comcast! That and daily signal drops made us move to DTV.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,987 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

That would be interesting future for DTV - all critical parts of FW are by NDS !

You can live with bad GUI, but watching subscribed channels is crucial part of the boxes.

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Interesting. I did not spot this in the various business news sites I visit.

I hope they keep the NDS software people as their efforts on my R15's is great compared to the dismal software updates being foisted on subscribers by the in-house DirecTV programming idiots. (my R22)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

I'd like to say if Newscorp Didn't give up Directv, NDS would have developed the software for the HD Dvr's and not Directv in house. That means we would have had better running HD Dvr's. Also we would have seen for more interactive services on Directv like a better active channel revamped more frequently and red button services on different channels like in the UK. They were promising a Fox news interactive channel at Investor Day 2006 which would of given a multiscreen application when hitting the red button when tuned to that channel and interactive voting like Sky News Active. We may have also seen red button services that let you pick multiple camera angles of live sports games like they somewhat did with YES interactive but it never got developed further. I was quite excited what was in store for Directv when NDS was going to develop all sorts of stuff but it all ended when News Corp sold Directv and Directv developed everything themselves.

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

I'd like to say if Newscorp Didn't give up Directv, NDS would have developed the software for the HD Dvr's and not Directv in house. That means we would have had better running HD Dvr's.

I believe NDS developed the initial releases for the R15 SD DVR and there were a lot of problems with R15s early on, abating to a large degree after DIRECTV took over software development, so it may not necessarily carry over that NDS would have done a better job with the HD DVRs.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I remember the comlpaints about how bad NDS was and that DIRECTV should have stayed with TiVo or they should have taken it in house. Now it's the reverse because the grass is always greener.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I believe NDS developed the initial releases for the R15 SD DVR and there were a lot of problems with R15s early on, abating to a large degree after DIRECTV took over software development, so it may not necessarily carry over that NDS would have done a better job with the HD DVRs.

The R15 software is still updated/controlled by NDS, not DirecTV's in-house "remove features and irk subscribers" software developers.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just can't for life of me understand how NDS still exists, much less PROSPERS, after all the money they cost DirecTV, and themselves too I guess, after all the years of repeatedly failing to do the ONE thing that they had to do for DirecTV at the time.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

The R15 software is still updated/controlled by NDS, not DirecTV's in-house "remove features and irk subscribers" software developers.

Beardless, all DTV boxes has running critical parts of NDS software [library]. All.

#14 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Does / did NDS release CE versions?

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Does / did NDS release CE versions?

Library. It's a binary code without it no one DTV box will get pay TV. Not GUI or something like IR cmds processor...

#16 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Library. It's a binary code without it no one DTV box will get pay TV. Not GUI or something like IR cmds processor...

Oh ok I thought they used to write the whole thing. I always wondered why when I played with a directv SD box at a tire and lube center, why the PIG is animated real nice into the corner of the screen. Just like guides on Scientific Atlanta / Cisco cable boxes. I thought the difference in GUI "flow" was because NDS wrote it all.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Perhaps old FW done totally by NDS, but current - only crucial part related to content protection. Perhaps only for that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...