Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey press release and video

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

rms0y271_DU

Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR System Now Available From DISH

ENGLEWOOD, CO--(Marketwire - Mar 15, 2012) - (NASDAQ: DISH) -- DISH Network L.L.C., the nation's third largest pay TV provider, announced today the availability of the Hopper™, the fastest, most powerful, technically advanced whole-home high definition DVR entertainment system.

The Hopper was first introduced at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show where it was awarded the Popular Mechanics "Editors' Choice" Award, recognized as a finalist by CNET, and honored with a CES Innovations 2012 Design and Engineering Award.

The Hopper system lets viewers share DVR content on TVs throughout the home. Customers can pause, play and rewind both live and recorded HD programs in up to four rooms using a Hopper and small units called "Joeys™" that work in tandem with the main Hopper unit.

Other Hopper highlights include the following:

Two-terabyte hard drive for up to 2,000 hours of entertainment
PrimeTime Anytime™ - customers, with a single click, can enable recordings of four primetime HD network channels, where available, and store them for up to eight days
Record up to six HD shows at once during primetime hours
Ability to watch HD programs and control the DVR in up to four rooms
The Hopper system is available through the DISH lease program. New DISH customers who subscribe to DISH's America's Top 200 or DishLATINO Dos programming packages or greater can receive one Hopper and up to three Joey units for free, including a standard professional installation. The Hopper system requires a whole-home DVR fee of $10 per month and $7 per month for each Joey.

"Whether watching your favorite primetime network show or the men's college basketball championship games, there's no better way to enjoy TV than 'jumping' from room to room using the award-winning Hopper and Joey," said DISH Network CEO Joe Clayton. "The Hopper, named after DISH's new kangaroo mascot, delivers network TV shows on demand and thousands of movie choices streaming or delivered to the hard drive; it's a slam dunk in providing the most entertainment options for the entire family."

DISH is promoting the Hopper through national TV advertising starting today. Visit here or www.youtube.com/dish to watch a TV spot.

New Must-have Feature -- PrimeTime Anytime™

The Hopper's unparalleled feature, called PrimeTime Anytime, allows customers, with a single click, to enable recordings -- using a single tuner -- of all primetime TV shows on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. PrimeTime Anytime records three hours of network programming in high definition, where available, every night from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET Monday through Saturday and from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET on Sunday. The Hopper stores the primetime programs for eight days after they have aired. This creates an on-demand library of approximately 100 hours of primetime TV shows, making it easy to catch up on missed episodes.

For Internet-connected customers, The Hopper's on-demand capabilities give access to DISH's Blockbuster @Home™ for $10 per month, providing thousands of movies and TV shows streaming to the TV.

The Ultimate TV Everywhere Experience

The Hopper offers the ultimate TV Everywhere experience. Customers can manage their Hopper's DVR and timers via the Internet at www.dishonline.com or from the DISH Remote Access app available for tablets, smartphones and computers. Connecting the Hopper with the DISH Sling® Adapter provides customers the ability to watch and control all live TV channels and their DVR from their tablet, smartphone and computer wherever they go.

For more information about the award-winning Hopper and Joey by DISH, including technical specifications, please visit www.dish.com/hopper.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Wonders what Morgan Freeman got payed for use of his name in the video?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

I am not sure it is free. All the advertisement says it is free, but in ordering mine, I had to pay $100 and sign a 2 yr contract extension.
PAX,
JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
Samsung UN55D8000 w/Dish Hopper v1 w/Sling Adapter, PS3 Slim 120gb, Yamaha YSP-2200, Panamax 5400, Harmony One, PS3 ToothFairy
Vizio SV420XVTS w/Joey Receiver & PS3 60gb

#4 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

you did notice where it said free for new subscribers?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#5 OFFLINE   PDR

PDR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I just ordered one with 2 joeys. I am a long-time subscriber (more than 10 years) and I have three sets that will be served. Currently, I have a 622, a 722 and a 211. The 622 and 722 are leased and will be returned. I own the 211 and it will become a boat anchor. In my particular case, there is no upfront fee and my monthly DVR fees will go down slightly. So seems like a great deal. Mine won't be installed until early April because we are currently finishing some remodeling that limits access to one of the rooms. I would love to hear any first-hand experience from some other early adopters.

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

.. I would love to hear any first-hand experience from some other early adopters.

Paul

No question - you will ! :)

#7 OFFLINE   Amon37

Amon37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Right now I have a Solo DVR Receiver fee of 10.00 and a DVR service fee of 6.00. If I get one hopper and a joey, would it just replace the Solo Receiver DVR fee 10.00 with the whole room DVR fee of 10.00 and replace the DVR service fee of 6.00 with the joey fee of 7.00? If so I might be game.

#8 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

I was tempted to order a Hopper/Joey to replace my 722k/612 but not at an extra $11 a month

I'm replacing a 922 and 722 with a Hopper and two Joey's, and my bill is going DOWN a bit. Is your math correct?
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

jlafount, you would go up $1 just like Amon37. DVR fee on the account goes from $6 to $10, and the addl $10 612 Solo DVR is replaced with a $7 Joey.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

I would love to hear any first-hand experience from some other early adopters.

I reported in another thread that I contacted a DIRT member yesterday morning to upgrade a 922 and two 612s for two Hoppers and three Joeys. An installer showed up five hours later and finished the install about 2 1/2 hours later. He didn't have to run any extra cables because he was able to use the cables and splitter I was using with a TV2 out.

The only thing taking that long was waiting for each receiver to search for transponders and download firmware.

Everything went fine, all boxes are working great (except the two Hoppers not linking until the software update gets sent). I swear the PQ is better.

I couldn't be more pleased.

Edited by James Long, 20 March 2012 - 06:35 PM.
Removed quoted spammer's tracking image

#11 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

you did notice where it said free for new subscribers?

Yes, but another 2 years? I guess. Ive been with them so long, no worries.
PAX,
JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
Samsung UN55D8000 w/Dish Hopper v1 w/Sling Adapter, PS3 Slim 120gb, Yamaha YSP-2200, Panamax 5400, Harmony One, PS3 ToothFairy

#12 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

The only thing taking that long was waiting for each receiver to search for transponders and download firmware.

You think if you have Internet connectivity they would figure out how to download firmware that way.
PAX,
JD

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

You think if you have Internet connectivity they would figure out how to download firmware that way.

Why?

There's no point to a satellite receiver unless it can see the satellites... and if it can see the satellites that is the most reliable way to perform the download for the firmware upgrades.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#14 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

Why?

There's no point to a satellite receiver unless it can see the satellites... and if it can see the satellites that is the most reliable way to perform the download for the firmware upgrades.

Speed. Plain and simple.
PAX,
JD

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

Speed. Plain and simple.

Without knowing the data size and bandwidth allotted it is hard to guess.

One thing for sure ... attempting to download a large file via satellite broadcast to many points works better than tasking a server with individual connections. One simultaneous download serves many people at the same time. Put that on the Internet and it would be like VOD On Demand. If too many people are asking for files the system can (theoretically) get bogged down.

One could throw more money at the Internet servers for firmware updates but DISH has satellites. The more customers needing the data at the same time the better broadcast works over individual connections.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Speed. Plain and simple.

Adding to what James said... Dish HD channels are at least 5Mbps I think I remember reading... and a lot of folk don't have much better than that for their internet connection anyway.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall