Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV planning for Ultra-HD

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Courtesy of advanced-television.com via Google Alerts.

Original article here

DirecTV will adopt Ultra-HDTV. DirecTV is already planning its future spectrum needs in readiness for U-HDTV. Philip Goswitz, DirecTV’s SVP/Space and Communications/R&D, speaking at the Satellite 2012 event in Washington, said “4,000 and 8,000-line services are great for the satellite industry, and will ensure that satellite broadcasting continues to distinguish itself for image quality of service" .....

.... “At DirecTV we see a couple of things happening. First, our subscribers are migrating away from Ku-band, and upgrading themselves to Ka-band and its HDTV services. In four or five years, our Ku-band [transmissions] could end. We are also developing the so-called Reverse Band for DBS services, and these are on our Road Map for future international services. 4000-line is exciting to us because of its image quality, and the potential for glasses-free 3D.”

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

That's pretty Cool! Glad to see DirecTV leading the way! Of course, I wouldn't expect anything else :D
Proud DirecTV Subscriber since 1.6.2012 :)
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Cue quarterly Ultra HD Channel Anticipation Threads in 3... 2... 1...

:hurah:

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#4 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Just read this.. Holy cow.

Capturing video in UHDTV format needs a lot of bandwidth. A 20 minute video could take up to 4 Terabytes of data. There are only 3 known cameras as of today that can capture and store that amount of data. Needless to say, our current broadcasting infrastructure is still incapable of meeting the requirements of UHDTV.

#5 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Just read this.. Holy cow.

Capturing video in UHDTV format needs a lot of bandwidth. A 20 minute video could take up to 4 Terabytes of data. There are only 3 known cameras as of today that can capture and store that amount of data. Needless to say, our current broadcasting infrastructure is still incapable of meeting the requirements of UHDTV.

I have filmmaker friends already shooting in 4K and 5X formats, downsampling as needed for final delivery.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Cue the "Ultra-HD Anticipation Thread" ... :)

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

I KNEW they'd do this eventually. Some FUN questions though. How much horsepower is it going to take for a receiver to be able to record 5 (Or maybe even 8) UHD channels at once, play back something already recorded, download something from on demand, and stream content to RVU clients?! Also, are large enough hard drives going to be available? 4k takes up 4 times as much space as 1080p, so we'll need at LEAST a 4TB drive to match the hours the HR34 can deliver. 8TBs would be even better! And how much is this beast going to cost? lol

#8 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I KNEW they'd do this eventually. Some FUN questions though. How much horsepower is it going to take for a receiver to be able to record 5 (Or maybe even 8) UHD channels at once, play back something already recorded, download something from on demand, and stream content to RVU clients?! Also, are large enough hard drives going to be available? 4k takes up 4 times as much space as 1080p, so we'll need at LEAST a 4TB drive to match the hours the HR34 can deliver. 8TBs would be even better! And how much is this beast going to cost? lol

Ask all these questions again in 3 - 5 years when the plans are more solid than vague announcements at industry conferences.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#9 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

This is great news! I'm guessing with an expedited launch schedule DirecTV should have Ultra-HD in place just in time for the ribbon cutting on our glorious moon colony - which coincidentally enough will be open to great fanfare a mere days after we are finally able to watch Doctor Who - Day of the Moon in HD on BBCA.

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

A Hollywood insider has been speaking about this on a thread on Blu-ray.com.

It seems like the future is coming! :)

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

You have to wonder if DIRECTV is really committed to getting rid of Ku long-term. This part of the statement makes me suspicious of other information offered.

The fact that nobody ever seems to pin down what flavor of 4K they're talking about leaves me wondering if they're even on the same page.

I think it is more likely that DIRECTV will ultimately drop Ka in favor of Ku and RDBS that would seem to bring lower power requirements and better atmospheric penetration. They may want to keep Ka for LIL, but Ka doesn't seem like the right tool for CONUS.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Cue the "Ultra-HD Lite Anticipation Thread.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Now maybe I just don't understand the concept, but can our eyes even resolve that kind of detail? I mean unless you are looking at 100"+ screens, I'm not sure we would even notice.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Now maybe I just don't understand the concept, but can our eyes even resolve that kind of detail? I mean unless you are looking at 100"+ screens, I'm not sure we would even notice.

+1. I've got 20/20 vision, and I can't tell the difference between a well-calibrated 480p ED display and a calibrated 1080p HD display from normal viewing distances, sitting 8'-10' away.

I believe these "advancements" are driven by hardware manufacturers and the movie studios, simply to get folks to buy new TV's and repurchase movies every few years..

The only advantage I can see to upping resolution like this is for specialized use, like medical and scientific imaging, where users will be looking for superb visual detail while seated a foot or two away from the display. Just my .02.
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yes, they can. The difference wasn't night and day when I saw 4K, but it was distinguishable from 1080p.

And screen size doesn't matter, it's the screen size vs seating distance ratio that matters.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

As I understand the "and 8,000-line" is totally fictional reference.

So far NHK has this:

UHDTV's main tentative specifications:[3]

Number of pixels: 7,680 × 4,320

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

+1. I've got 20/20 vision, and I can't tell the difference between a well-calibrated 480p ED display and a calibrated 1080p HD display from normal viewing distances, sitting 8'-10' away.

I have very good vision, and I can tell the difference between a 720p TV and a 1080p TV from 30 feet away.

I believe these "advancements" are driven by hardware manufacturers and the movie studios, simply to get folks to buy new TV's and repurchase movies every few years..

The CE industry is rarely driven by the companies fulfilling a need...

However, just because they're motives aren't selfless doesn't mean that there is not a benefit to the consumers.

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

The only advantage I can see to upping resolution like this is for specialized use, like medical and scientific imaging, where users will be looking for superb visual detail while seated a foot or two away from the display. Just my .02.

Not sure what my glasses bring my eye sight up to, but I can tell the difference between 480p and 720p from about 10 feet away. Haven't really looked up close at 1080p yet, but will probably try it now.

#19 OFFLINE   dah_sab

dah_sab

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

This is great news! I'm guessing with an expedited launch schedule DirecTV should have Ultra-HD in place just in time for the ribbon cutting on our glorious moon colony - which coincidentally enough will be open to great fanfare a mere days after we are finally able to watch Doctor Who - Day of the Moon in HD on BBCA.

This is the more likely scenario. It took an age to switch to HDTV, & it's still not done.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

This is the more likely scenario. It took an age to switch to HDTV, & it's still not done.

It's a different point - TV/players' manufacturers don't want to stagnate with 1080p equipment; they need new idea to spiraling out... money, money.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...