Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV planning for Ultra-HD

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

It's just a PR buzz to raise attention to the company ...

:rolleyes:

Your missing the point. 4K on a 150" screen from 20' away is not going to look better than 1080p, because at that distance the "eye" isn't even getting the full benefit of 1080p.

4K on a 46" display from 3', however, will look a lot better.

Real life from 30' feet away looks far superior to 1080p 3' feet away. :D

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,484 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Real life from 30' feet away looks far superior to 1080p 3' feet away. :D

~Alan

Lol, depends on what you're looking at eh?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#43 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Your missing the point. 4K on a 150" screen from 20' away is not going to look better than 1080p, because at that distance the "eye" isn't even getting the full benefit of 1080p.

4K on a 46" display from 3', however, will look a lot better.

Well, if I'm evaluating a TV, I have a viewing distance in mind. I chose a 55" model because I thought that the 60" picture looked a little too blocky to me.

#44 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Lol, depends on what you're looking at eh?

LOL!!! Fair enough... I'll give you that one! :lol:

Seriously though... the farther one's distance might indeed influence how many pixels one's eye can decipher, but that doesn't mean that the viewer is unable to benefit from a higher resolution source and display.

~Alan

#45 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Well, if I'm evaluating a TV, I have a viewing distance in mind. I chose a 55" model because I thought that the 60" picture looked a little too blocky to me.

I view it as bigger is always bigger when it comes to TVs... though money has kept me from fully embracing that belief... hence why I only have a 46" model. However, that's a fair point as well... when I get too close to my 46", it becomes too blocky for me, and I start losing the detail... the whole point of HDTV.

Granted, some sources like Blu-ray is better about it, and I believe that LED's are superior when it comes to that issue over LCDs, but I'm not lucky enough to have an LED.

~Alan

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

:rolleyes:
~Alan

I don't know how old are you, but some people wouldn't see it. :nono2:

#47 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I don't know how old are you, but some people wouldn't see it. :nono2:

So... you're seriously suggesting that just because not everyone would benefit from something, they shouldn't bother?! :eek2:

P.S.: I turned 31 last month! :(

~Alan

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

The discussion is revolving around PR statement without real base. Especially if you will pay attention to fake "8000-lines" part.
"Fata Morgana".

#49 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

The discussion is revolving around PR statement without real base. Especially if you will pay attention to fake "8000-lines" part.
"Fata Morgana".

He simply stated that "4,000 and 8,000-line services are great for the satellite industry." Everywhere else in the article it simply refers to the 4,000-line services.

The discussion is Ultra-HD... which appears to be both 4,000 and 8,000-line services.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand what you're getting at... :confused:

~Alan

#50 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

So... you're seriously suggesting that just because not everyone would benefit from something, they shouldn't bother?! :eek2:

~Alan

My personal opinion on the matter is, until they finish the HD rollout, with 100% HD for all channels, they should not waste money on it, unless they plan to use their 3 transponders on 110 for a 4K ESPN3D with Smell-o-vision. I would be highly put off if they expanded their niche formats further before at least matching the rest of the providers on basic HD.

I would actually prefer, for a format that is so bandwidth intensive, they just start a new company, launch its own satellite (how about 101 KA?) and put all the niche format (4K etc) on it, so those that have the money to buy 4K monitors can support the effort to broadcast it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#51 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Really don't understand this:

Why would they want to give up 32 transponders in prime real estate?

I think it's interesting that he uses the word "transmissions." If it wasn't for the "We’ll be entirely Ka-band in about five years." statement, I would assume they were planning on phasing out SD on the KU satellites, and using KA for Ultra-HD...

~Alan

#52 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

My personal opinion on the matter is, until they finish the HD rollout, with 100% HD for all channels, they should not waste money on it, unless they plan to use their 3 transponders on 110 for a 4K ESPN3D with Smell-o-vision. I would be highly put off if they expanded their niche formats further before at least matching the rest of the providers on basic HD.

I respect DirecTV for forward thinking!

That being said, I would be ticked if they start focusing on it prior to offering us some of the missing HD channels... then again, I doubt I'll be with DirecTV then, so big whoop I guess... :D

~Alan

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

He simply stated that "4,000 and 8,000-line services are great for the satellite industry." Everywhere else in the article it simply refers to the 4,000-line services.

The discussion is Ultra-HD... which appears to be both 4,000 and 8,000-line services.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand what you're getting at... :confused:

~Alan

I'm getting nowhere with the original statement, and you ... Be honest.

Also, how you could not just discuss but mentioning the non-exiting FICTIONAL format, the "8000-line" ? Do you know something about it ? Then, please share your source.

#54 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

My personal opinion on the matter is, until they finish the HD rollout, with 100% HD for all channels, they should not waste money on it.

+1. Get the rest of the channels in HD first, then worry about UHD.

#55 OFFLINE   zhezhang

zhezhang

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

I KNEW they'd do this eventually. Some FUN questions though. How much horsepower is it going to take for a receiver to be able to record 5 (Or maybe even 8) UHD channels at once, play back something already recorded, download something from on demand, and stream content to RVU clients?! Also, are large enough hard drives going to be available? 4k takes up 4 times as much space as 1080p, so we'll need at LEAST a 4TB drive to match the hours the HR34 can deliver. 8TBs would be even better! And how much is this beast going to cost? lol

I bought my 1st computer in 1985, it was a Compaq portable. I paid $500 (1985 $$) to add a 20M byte (M, not G) hard disk.

#56 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,484 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

My personal opinion on the matter is, until they finish the HD rollout, with 100% HD for all channels, they should not waste money on it,

I'm sure D* will be 100% HD before we see any 4K.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#57 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

As prices drop, (Sony's 4K front projector is $25,000...) it's likely we'll see a "demo" channel or two, and possibly a PPV channel. Content drives sales.

#58 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

First, our subscribers are migrating away from Ku-band, and upgrading themselves to Ka-band and its HDTV services. In four or five years, our Ku-band [transmissions] could end.

Love hearing this! Talk about freeing up bandwidth.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#59 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

Really don't understand this:

Why would they want to give up 32 transponders in prime real estate?

I think the issue is more the KU sats will reach the end of their useful life. Without a replacement KU bird, you can't really do much. I think they'd have to be ordering a KU bird pretty quickly to make 5 years no?
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#60 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I'm getting nowhere with the original statement, and you ... Be honest.

Also, how you could not just discuss but mentioning the non-exiting FICTIONAL format, the "8000-line" ? Do you know something about it ? Then, please share your source.

You are correct... I still don't understand your point...

Perhaps DirecTV is going to start with 4K, and perhaps move to 8K down the road. Are you having issues with the fact that 7680 isn't actually 8,000?! :confused:

As prices drop, (Sony's 4K front projector is $25,000...) it's likely we'll see a "demo" channel or two, and possibly a PPV channel. Content drives sales.

Yeah... I expect a PPV channel or two, and perhaps an IMAX channel?!

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...