Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Yes, I'm basically recording 24/7, often 2 films at once. I got 118 movies off the internal 500 Gb drive, so I figured I'd probably get maybe 480 off the 2 Tb... I originally had grand plans for a huge movie collection, but if anything happens to my HR24, I guess I'm SOL! Also, if a HDD went bad, I'd lose 480 movies... Yikes - kinda risky to build a large collection this way, eh?

You simply can't trust the HRs in that respect altho they've become much more dependable. If you need to access a great number of movies, subscribe to NetFlix and just use the HRs for content you can afford to lose. Don't try to archive content unless you have a whole bunch of HRs that you can back up content on. I've got twelve active HRs and over 20TBs of recording capacity and I still subscribe to NF for the very reasons I stated above.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

There's nothing we as end users could do to make them play on another dvr and any discussion of it would be against the board policies as dbstalk doesn't support breaking your agreement with the provider but you are ultimately right. Things are setup this way by directv to keep the content distributors happy.

I think you can access content the way we should be able to within our accounts with Dish, why not D*? We have pretty much the same content distributors as Dish does.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,618 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

And there again is the great weakness of the HRs. We've been asking for any HR in an account to be able to read and play any HDD recorded by any HR in the same account for years and what do we get...Pandora?

Rich

I believe we also asked for MRV and HD GUI for years. Maybe even DLB (and was told it wasn't possible if I remember right.)

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I believe we also asked for MRV and HD GUI for years. Maybe even DLB (and was told it wasn't possible if I remember right.)

We asked for the ability to use HRs and HDDs within an account a long time before MRV or the HD GUI. The DLBs might have been asked for right off the bat because the TiVos had that option and the HRs didn't. Still haven't used the DLB option for anything.

There have been threads about the HRs within an account that have gone nowhere because not enough folks use external drives.

Rich

#30 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thinking out of a box ... Perhaps dish took a patent and DTV can't just implement it ?

#31 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Then you shouldn't post that your opinion without home work.

MBR vs. GPT then

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thinking out of a box ... Perhaps dish took a patent and DTV can't just implement it ?

I'm doubtful that you could patent something so simple.

DIRECTV does "it" with WHDS so that they're not doing it with their hard drives suggests that they've made a business decision that it isn't going to happen.

Why do it when they can get Rich to pay fees on a dozen Plus HD DVRs?
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

DIRECTV does "it" with WHDS so that they're not doing it with their hard drives suggests that they've made a business decision that it isn't going to happen.

That's not a bad point to make, but I think my way of doing things is more of an anomaly than what D* is basing their reluctance to let us have the "within an account" option.

I need, at a minimum, eight HRs to hook up to the eight TVs we use. If they were to allow the "within an account" option would I give up four properly functioning HRs? I kinda doubt it. Just to save ~$20? Nah.

I'd feel a lot more secure tho, knowing I could just swap a large HDD if the HR failed and not lose that programming. And look at how devastated some folks are when their HRs crap out and they lose all their programming.

Rich

#34 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

MBR vs. GPT then

right, we did discuss it

#35 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

you forgot TiVo patent(s)

there is another point in technologies DTV vs dish: MRV - why dish doesn't have it ?

#36 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

There's nothing we as end users could do to make them play on another dvr and any discussion of it would be against the board policies as dbstalk doesn't support breaking your agreement with the provider but you are ultimately right. Things are setup this way by directv to keep the content distributors happy.

The ONLY advantage that Dish has is the ability to play recordings on external drives on any dvr registered to an account (and that external drives supplement the internal drives). I truly wish D* would do the same.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

The ONLY advantage that Dish has is the ability to play recordings on external drives on any dvr registered to an account (and that external drives supplement the internal drives). I truly wish D* would do the same.

We've tried. And failed. They gotta know what a problem this is and really ought to fix it.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Dish's method is pretty much a manual archive solution. You record to the internal hd and manually move recordings to an external hd. If you run out of space on the internal hd your new recordings won't go to the external. They will either not record or auto delete things to make space. The advantage is you can use cheaper usb hds and it augments your internal hd space. It is also tied to the account so you can play back on any receiver on the account. If you are looking for longer term storage this obviously works well.

Directv's method is simply a replacement. This means there is nothing manual needed but you don't get the combined space and you need esata to match the internal hd. This is great for a busy receiver that records lots but the recordings don't necessarily stay around for to long.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Dish's method is pretty much a manual archive solution. You record to the internal hd and manually move recordings to an external hd. If you run out of space on the internal hd your new recordings won't go to the external. They will either not record or auto delete things to make space. The advantage is you can use cheaper usb hds and it augments your internal hd space. It is also tied to the account so you can play back on any receiver on the account. If you are looking for longer term storage this obviously works well.

Sounds like a lot of work and you'd have to have some way of keeping track of what's on which HDD, no?

Directv's method is simply a replacement. This means there is nothing manual needed but you don't get the combined space and you need esata to match the internal hd. This is great for a busy receiver that records lots but the recordings don't necessarily stay around for to long.

I guess the way I use D*'s DVRs is the only way to really ensure that I don't lose any recordings. Are there any added costs to using Dish's method?

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Sounds like a lot of work and you'd have to have some way of keeping track of what's on which HDD, no?

If you have multiple drives you use for different recordings or you move your drives around you would have to keep track of them.

I guess the way I use D*'s DVRs is the only way to really ensure that I don't lose any recordings. Are there any added costs to using Dish's method?

Rich

Last time I researched it there was a one time fee to activate the capability. I think it was 50$ but I'm not positive.

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

If you have multiple drives you use for different recordings or you move your drives around you would have to keep track of them.

Went thru that with VCRs before I discovered DVRs. Racks of tapes, logbooks in duplicate. Had over 500 blank tapes, don't ever want to go thru that nightmare again.

Last time I researched it there was a one time fee to activate the capability. I think it was 50$ but I'm not positive.

That's not a bad price as long as all your DVRs are included.

Rich

#42 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

You did that last time more then two years ago. And didn't bother to check before posting now :(

No fee. Free. It will cost you the USB enclosure and a drive if you will use something like BlacX.

Before that it was one time $40 fee for an "activation" of EHD feature.

#43 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

That's not a bad point to make, but I think my way of doing things is more of an anomaly than what D* is basing their reluctance to let us have the "within an account" option.

It wasn't the point I was trying to make though.

My point is that DIRECTV has the means to establish account-wide HD sharing but they choose not to. To suggest that it is due to some other hardware or software limitation is poppycock.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#44 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

It wasn't the point I was trying to make though.

My point is that DIRECTV has the means to establish account-wide HD sharing but they choose not to. To suggest that it is due to some other hardware or software limitation is poppycock.

Especially taking in account - HW wise (not the CAM) both companies using same chips (means DVR recordings encrypted by common chips).

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Especially taking in account - HW wise (not the CAM) both companies using same chips (means DVR recordings encrypted by common chips).

The issue is decrypting, not encrypting. It is a critical distinction.

#46 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Are there any added costs to using Dish's method?

None over and above the cost of the hardware and human effort involved in moving programs.

It is pretty cool having small collection of hard drives that will work with most any DVR versus having multiple DVRs with their associated hard drives.

#47 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

The issue is decrypting, not encrypting. It is a critical distinction.

No issue at all.
Decryption as symmetrical function with using same DVR key and encrypted content.

#48 OFFLINE   trstew

trstew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

400-500+ hours depending on the content. The capacity seems to be content driven. That's one of the reasons I have for not wanting a 34. Five tuners are gonna fill up a 2TB external drive rather quickly.

Should take a lot longer to fill up the 24, but I try to keep my 10 2TB drives at about 50% of capacity and if I don't keep an eye on them they fill up rather quickly.

Rich

Speaking of capacity, if you're going to use an entire drive, is it advisable to leave a certain % unused? Also, as you have ten of 'em, would you advise any HDD manufacturers to stay away from - seems most people go with WD, but aren't there others that are well-suited for this type of application?

#49 OFFLINE   trstew

trstew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

There's nothing that identifies the hard drive. The content on the drive is encrypted using the access card and receiver ID.

Does Direct ever require you to change/update access cards (seems to me that Dish once told me my card was out of date - they were gonna send me a "new" card but never did). If you had to change cards, would you still have access to your EHD stuff, i.e., would another card have the same key as the old one?

#50 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,091 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Does Direct ever require you to change/update access cards

If they identify that the current version cards are compromised, they release a new version after fixing the security hole. This hasnt happened in a LONG time.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...