Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Or if you could figure out exactly which component in a DVR identifies it to the hard drive...and then transplant it. :-)

There's nothing that identifies the hard drive. The content on the drive is encrypted using the access card and receiver ID.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Sort of misconstrued ... other provider manage to use DRM for EHD and allow to SHARE these with all DVRs on your account (indirectly provide ability to move between DVRs using EHD)

Though don't those customers have to move things off the internal drive to the external? I seem to remember things couldn't be recorded/played directly off the external.

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Half memories :) - you can play from EHD, but could only MOVE existing recordings from internal.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I don't think you have many options. RAID 0 would increase capacity, but if you lose one drive, you lose all data. I don't think there are any economical ways to get RAID5, plus the 2TB limit would still apply.

Swapping drives, you'd have to keep the Series links and such current on both drives.

Sounds like you've done a lot of recording in a few weeks. I thought a 2TB should be able to handle more than 400 hours of MPEG4 HD.

400-500+ hours depending on the content. The capacity seems to be content driven. That's one of the reasons I have for not wanting a 34. Five tuners are gonna fill up a 2TB external drive rather quickly.

Should take a lot longer to fill up the 24, but I try to keep my 10 2TB drives at about 50% of capacity and if I don't keep an eye on them they fill up rather quickly.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

You have everything correct trstew. The exception being, you can copy the drive image to another drive using a computer and the right software, but would have to put it in the same DVR that recorded it for it to play.

And there again is the great weakness of the HRs. We've been asking for any HR in an account to be able to read and play any HDD recorded by any HR in the same account for years and what do we get...Pandora?

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Yes, I'm basically recording 24/7, often 2 films at once. I got 118 movies off the internal 500 Gb drive, so I figured I'd probably get maybe 480 off the 2 Tb... I originally had grand plans for a huge movie collection, but if anything happens to my HR24, I guess I'm SOL! Also, if a HDD went bad, I'd lose 480 movies... Yikes - kinda risky to build a large collection this way, eh?

You simply can't trust the HRs in that respect altho they've become much more dependable. If you need to access a great number of movies, subscribe to NetFlix and just use the HRs for content you can afford to lose. Don't try to archive content unless you have a whole bunch of HRs that you can back up content on. I've got twelve active HRs and over 20TBs of recording capacity and I still subscribe to NF for the very reasons I stated above.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

There's nothing we as end users could do to make them play on another dvr and any discussion of it would be against the board policies as dbstalk doesn't support breaking your agreement with the provider but you are ultimately right. Things are setup this way by directv to keep the content distributors happy.

I think you can access content the way we should be able to within our accounts with Dish, why not D*? We have pretty much the same content distributors as Dish does.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

And there again is the great weakness of the HRs. We've been asking for any HR in an account to be able to read and play any HDD recorded by any HR in the same account for years and what do we get...Pandora?

Rich

I believe we also asked for MRV and HD GUI for years. Maybe even DLB (and was told it wasn't possible if I remember right.)

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I believe we also asked for MRV and HD GUI for years. Maybe even DLB (and was told it wasn't possible if I remember right.)

We asked for the ability to use HRs and HDDs within an account a long time before MRV or the HD GUI. The DLBs might have been asked for right off the bat because the TiVos had that option and the HRs didn't. Still haven't used the DLB option for anything.

There have been threads about the HRs within an account that have gone nowhere because not enough folks use external drives.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thinking out of a box ... Perhaps dish took a patent and DTV can't just implement it ?

#31 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Then you shouldn't post that your opinion without home work.

MBR vs. GPT then

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thinking out of a box ... Perhaps dish took a patent and DTV can't just implement it ?

I'm doubtful that you could patent something so simple.

DIRECTV does "it" with WHDS so that they're not doing it with their hard drives suggests that they've made a business decision that it isn't going to happen.

Why do it when they can get Rich to pay fees on a dozen Plus HD DVRs?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

DIRECTV does "it" with WHDS so that they're not doing it with their hard drives suggests that they've made a business decision that it isn't going to happen.

That's not a bad point to make, but I think my way of doing things is more of an anomaly than what D* is basing their reluctance to let us have the "within an account" option.

I need, at a minimum, eight HRs to hook up to the eight TVs we use. If they were to allow the "within an account" option would I give up four properly functioning HRs? I kinda doubt it. Just to save ~$20? Nah.

I'd feel a lot more secure tho, knowing I could just swap a large HDD if the HR failed and not lose that programming. And look at how devastated some folks are when their HRs crap out and they lose all their programming.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

MBR vs. GPT then

right, we did discuss it

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

you forgot TiVo patent(s)

there is another point in technologies DTV vs dish: MRV - why dish doesn't have it ?

#36 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

There's nothing we as end users could do to make them play on another dvr and any discussion of it would be against the board policies as dbstalk doesn't support breaking your agreement with the provider but you are ultimately right. Things are setup this way by directv to keep the content distributors happy.

The ONLY advantage that Dish has is the ability to play recordings on external drives on any dvr registered to an account (and that external drives supplement the internal drives). I truly wish D* would do the same.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

The ONLY advantage that Dish has is the ability to play recordings on external drives on any dvr registered to an account (and that external drives supplement the internal drives). I truly wish D* would do the same.

We've tried. And failed. They gotta know what a problem this is and really ought to fix it.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Dish's method is pretty much a manual archive solution. You record to the internal hd and manually move recordings to an external hd. If you run out of space on the internal hd your new recordings won't go to the external. They will either not record or auto delete things to make space. The advantage is you can use cheaper usb hds and it augments your internal hd space. It is also tied to the account so you can play back on any receiver on the account. If you are looking for longer term storage this obviously works well.

Directv's method is simply a replacement. This means there is nothing manual needed but you don't get the combined space and you need esata to match the internal hd. This is great for a busy receiver that records lots but the recordings don't necessarily stay around for to long.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Dish's method is pretty much a manual archive solution. You record to the internal hd and manually move recordings to an external hd. If you run out of space on the internal hd your new recordings won't go to the external. They will either not record or auto delete things to make space. The advantage is you can use cheaper usb hds and it augments your internal hd space. It is also tied to the account so you can play back on any receiver on the account. If you are looking for longer term storage this obviously works well.

Sounds like a lot of work and you'd have to have some way of keeping track of what's on which HDD, no?

Directv's method is simply a replacement. This means there is nothing manual needed but you don't get the combined space and you need esata to match the internal hd. This is great for a busy receiver that records lots but the recordings don't necessarily stay around for to long.

I guess the way I use D*'s DVRs is the only way to really ensure that I don't lose any recordings. Are there any added costs to using Dish's method?

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Sounds like a lot of work and you'd have to have some way of keeping track of what's on which HDD, no?

If you have multiple drives you use for different recordings or you move your drives around you would have to keep track of them.

I guess the way I use D*'s DVRs is the only way to really ensure that I don't lose any recordings. Are there any added costs to using Dish's method?

Rich

Last time I researched it there was a one time fee to activate the capability. I think it was 50$ but I'm not positive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...