Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

If you have multiple drives you use for different recordings or you move your drives around you would have to keep track of them.

Went thru that with VCRs before I discovered DVRs. Racks of tapes, logbooks in duplicate. Had over 500 blank tapes, don't ever want to go thru that nightmare again.

Last time I researched it there was a one time fee to activate the capability. I think it was 50$ but I'm not positive.

That's not a bad price as long as all your DVRs are included.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Last time I researched it there was a one time fee to activate the capability. I think it was 50$ but I'm not positive.

You did that last time more then two years ago. And didn't bother to check before posting now :(

No fee. Free. It will cost you the USB enclosure and a drive if you will use something like BlacX.

Before that it was one time $40 fee for an "activation" of EHD feature.

#43 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

That's not a bad point to make, but I think my way of doing things is more of an anomaly than what D* is basing their reluctance to let us have the "within an account" option.

It wasn't the point I was trying to make though.

My point is that DIRECTV has the means to establish account-wide HD sharing but they choose not to. To suggest that it is due to some other hardware or software limitation is poppycock.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

It wasn't the point I was trying to make though.

My point is that DIRECTV has the means to establish account-wide HD sharing but they choose not to. To suggest that it is due to some other hardware or software limitation is poppycock.

Especially taking in account - HW wise (not the CAM) both companies using same chips (means DVR recordings encrypted by common chips).

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Especially taking in account - HW wise (not the CAM) both companies using same chips (means DVR recordings encrypted by common chips).

The issue is decrypting, not encrypting. It is a critical distinction.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Are there any added costs to using Dish's method?

None over and above the cost of the hardware and human effort involved in moving programs.

It is pretty cool having small collection of hard drives that will work with most any DVR versus having multiple DVRs with their associated hard drives.

#47 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

The issue is decrypting, not encrypting. It is a critical distinction.

No issue at all.
Decryption as symmetrical function with using same DVR key and encrypted content.

#48 OFFLINE   trstew

trstew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

400-500+ hours depending on the content. The capacity seems to be content driven. That's one of the reasons I have for not wanting a 34. Five tuners are gonna fill up a 2TB external drive rather quickly.

Should take a lot longer to fill up the 24, but I try to keep my 10 2TB drives at about 50% of capacity and if I don't keep an eye on them they fill up rather quickly.

Rich

Speaking of capacity, if you're going to use an entire drive, is it advisable to leave a certain % unused? Also, as you have ten of 'em, would you advise any HDD manufacturers to stay away from - seems most people go with WD, but aren't there others that are well-suited for this type of application?

#49 OFFLINE   trstew

trstew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

There's nothing that identifies the hard drive. The content on the drive is encrypted using the access card and receiver ID.

Does Direct ever require you to change/update access cards (seems to me that Dish once told me my card was out of date - they were gonna send me a "new" card but never did). If you had to change cards, would you still have access to your EHD stuff, i.e., would another card have the same key as the old one?

#50 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Does Direct ever require you to change/update access cards

If they identify that the current version cards are compromised, they release a new version after fixing the security hole. This hasnt happened in a LONG time.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Speaking of capacity, if you're going to use an entire drive, is it advisable to leave a certain % unused? Also, as you have ten of 'em, would you advise any HDD manufacturers to stay away from - seems most people go with WD, but aren't there others that are well-suited for this type of application?

I try to keep mine about 50-60% full. I've got an HR24-500 that's got ~ 19% of capacity left. I'm just trying to see if the 24s suffer from the same problems the other HRs do when you fill them to 30% of capacity. But, I'm not even sure the other HRs still are susceptible to bogging down when the HDD reaches the 30-20% Available mark. Used to be, you got them that full and the HR would really slow down. That's why even a 1TB isn't enough for some of us. Doesn't matter the size of the HDD, just the percentage of capacity used matters (or used to).

That 24-500 shows no sign of bogging down BTW.

We've had so much good luck with the WD drives that it seems sensible to just keep on using them. Some members have installed Seagate 5400RPM HDDs in/on their HRs and they seem to be working well. Right now, I'd stick with the WDs.

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   trstew

trstew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Not knowing anything (even less than now!) a few weeks ago, I used 98% of my HR24-200's (Samsung?) internal capacity. I can't say as I noticed any difference between then and when it was 50%, but then I wasn't looking for any kind of slowdown...

#53 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Not knowing anything (even less than now!) a few weeks ago, I used 98% of my HR24-200's (Samsung?) internal capacity. I can't say as I noticed any difference between then and when it was 50%, but then I wasn't looking for any kind of slowdown...

The smaller(stock) drives dont seem to be affected as much as a larger drive. I suspect due to the size of the database/indexing etc, that would be much larger on larger drive. I didnt notice any slowdowns on a "fuller" drive until I went above a 1TB drive. I don't notice the slowdown near as much anymore, I suspect they have improved the efficiency of that code.

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have 2 of my 5 HR24-500s filled up to 80% and I can't see any Slowdown at all so I don't think it matters any more.

Rich and I used to experience this a couple of years ago on older Models but I haven't seen this at all on my HR24-500s or my 2 HR23-700s.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

As I said, I'm not sure if the 24s are subject to this "bogging down" effect when loading up the HDD. For all I know, none of the HRs do this anymore. Can't test that statement, don't have any HDDs other than my 500's that are over 50% full.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Now you could buy 4 TB drive(s) - Fry's has Hitachi for $289. :eek2: SATA, 7200 RPM, 64MB buffer, 6 Gbps interface speed.

#57 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Now you could buy 4 TB drive(s) - Fry's has Hitachi for $289. :eek2: SATA, 7200 RPM, 64MB buffer, 6 Gbps interface speed.

Well, it won't use any more than 2 TB as that is the Limitation that Directv has given us, am I correct?

I heard that is a Kernel Limitation but I remember you stated that it was something else, so could you expound on what how the Limitation is derived.

Also, I still have your External Drive Enclosure. I have just been busy and haven't gotten around to shipping it.

Will do it Soon!!! :D

By the way, I paid over $300 for the First 2 TB WD20EADS Drive offered by Western Digital.

What was I thinking. :lol:
Here's My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

By the way, I paid over $300 for the First 2 TB WD20EADS Drive offered by Western Digital.

What was I thinking. :lol:

Well it sure wasn't an early bird special...that's for sure... :D

Just saw similar name-brand drives for , $120 at Fry's last week. :eek2:

The early bird gets the worm, while the patient bird gets the Caviar (yes, that's a pun). ;)

2TB is a ton of storage for sure. When it's multiplied in multiple HD DVRs, we call that a TV station library. :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

The early bird gets the worm, while the patient bird gets the Caviar (yes, that's a pun). ;)

2TB is a ton of storage for sure. When it's multiplied in multiple HD DVRs, we call that a TV station library. :lol:

Well, that was back in April 2010 and I wanted it bad because I didn't want to get my brand new HR24-500 and Activate it and put Recordings on it and then install the 2 TB WD20EADS Drive and then lose those Recordings so I Bit the Bullet and paid a lot but I am glad I did.

All 5 of my HR24-500s work Flawlessly and Fast and maybe one of the reasons is that my Drives are Fast and have a Larger Cache to reduce the need for Paging which could be causing these other issues with those posters who Report Sluggishness as the CPU waits for data to act upon.
Here's My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

2Tb is a standard Linux limitation, see http://www.webhostin..._than_2tb_linux You can create a partition size >2Tb with Linux using non-standard tools but I doubt that DirecTV would do that in a production system, see also http://www.unixgods....larger_2TB.html and many others.

spam firewall