Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

While "plenty of things have changed in the past" , the request for account archiving feature stay for years as sore thumb and there is no hope it will change.

I have reason to believe your assessment is incorrect.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Nothing personal but you also had "reason to believe" that MediaShare would be revamped and that never happened. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#103 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

In fairness I thought it would be too.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#104 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

We've been fighting this battle for years and D* shows little interest in changing the way the HRs are setup. At this point, I don't care, I'm afraid of what a change like that would bring with it.

Rich

#105 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Nothing personal but you also had "reason to believe" that MediaShare would be revamped and that never happened. :D

That was indeed the plan for some time. The challenge is when the time to implement something exceeds the window of opportunity for its "critical" need and compared with "more important priorities". Anyone familiar with roadmaps (I manage one in another industry) knows that beyond 3-6 months down the road, roadmap content items and corresponding priorities change.

Roadmap plans like this are laid out all the time. While in most cases these things do get done, not everything gets implemented when it comes up for "next in line" deployment. This is just one example.

We've been fighting this battle for years and D* shows little interest in changing the way the HRs are setup. At this point, I don't care, I'm afraid of what a change like that would bring with it.

Having launched polls on this very topic twice in the past 30 months, and seeing an overwhelming desire for some kind of either household recording storage or general archiving (either one to avoid loss of "prized recordings"), I have been a strong advocate for the important need to address this.

With the launch of the HR34 device, and the increased risk of having one central storage location (as opposed to multiple HD DVRs for example), this is both a continued and timely topic to this day.

Something needs to be done to allow end users to have a means to avoid recording loss from a hard drive failure. The technology exists to support it, including the required ability to assure copyright protection for content.

All that said, recent DirecTV presentations to the financial community have "hinted" that this is now on their roadmap. For that reason, as well as the HR34 added recording loss risk exposure, I suspect we may actually see some form of solution sooner than later.

#106 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

The Folks at Morega have told me that they can easily use Nomad for Archiving Purposes if Senior Management at Directv chooses to do so as they have Access to the Customer's Account Number via the Authentication Server so they could just Substitute the Account Number for the RID # and the Directv Software Logic could be altered to look for the Account Number rather than the RID # for verification of DHCP Authority to View those Recordings.

They can also Store the Archived Recordings on a USB External Hard Drive which can then be Transferred back to the Original DVR after it's Internal Hard Drive that Failed has been Replaced by a New Drive.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#107 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Something needs to be done to allow end users to have a means to avoid recording loss from a hard drive failure. The technology exists to support it, including the required ability to assure copyright protection for content.

All that said, recent DirecTV presentations to the financial community have "hinted" that this is now on their roadmap. For that reason, as well as the HR34 added recording loss risk exposure, I suspect we may actually see some form of solution sooner than later.

Currently none of the providers offer protection against HDD failure, and realistically thats not what most are asking for. We want the ability to be able to view our prized recordings on another dvr on our acct if the dvr dies.....

#108 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Currently none of the providers offer protection against HDD failure, and realistically thats not what most are asking for. We want the ability to be able to view our prized recordings on another dvr on our acct if the dvr dies.....

Those two goals are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

#109 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

True protection? Not at the moment. But it's easy enough to set up an extra DVR to mirror a main DVR. Using multiple DVRs to "backup" important recordings can provide a little piece of mind. At least until the "cloud" storage is ready ... ;)

#110 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

But it's easy enough to set up an extra DVR to mirror a main DVR. Using multiple DVRs to "backup" important recordings can provide a little piece of mind. At least until the "cloud" storage is ready ... ;)

I have 3 DVRs whose Sole Purpose in Life is to Backup my 4 other DVRs. :D
Here's My Setup

#111 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

We want the ability to be able to view our prized recordings on another dvr on our acct if the dvr dies.....

That would require Directv to Store all of your Recordings on a Server and that ain't gonna happen as it would be Too Expensive.

They would have to Store Virtually Every Recording Possible and that would be Ludicrous.

However, Directv can give us the Ability to Archive via Nomad onto a 2, 3 or 4 TB USB External Drive and with a little software coding change you could even move them from one DVR to another DVR which a lot of people have asked for.

If your Hard Drive Fails you simply Replace it and then tell Nomad which Recordings you want to Restore from Nomad's USB External Drive to that DVR.

Edited by Richierich, 09 May 2012 - 02:13 PM.

Here's My Setup

#112 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

That would require that Directv Store all of your Recordings on a Server and that ain't gonna happen as it would be Too Expensive.

Store recordings once or 20 million times. Hmmm.

#113 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Store recordings once or 20 million times. Hmmm.

:D

I suspect what increases the visibility on this issue is the recent release of the HR34 - where one HDD is there, and 1 HDD failure renders things dead in the water for a recording inventory.

It would to make sense (and more importantly satisfy any copy protection requirements) to simply have an eSata on one (or more HD DVR units be assigned based on the household account (and corresponding devices), as opposed to a specific access card.

We'll see what happens down the road.

#114 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Archiving is something that every content provider is against due to the very nature of their business. If you can save something permanently on a HD why would you buy their box sets? Why would you buy the movies.

Could a company store a single copy of everything out there and then allow people to access it? Sure it's called On Demand not archives.

I can understand wanting to swap HD's if you're replacing a unit for whatever reason and that may eventually be something that becomes an option (my comment only) but having the ability to access anything that you have had recorded will not be an option unless the business models change significantly and there is no reason to do so from a business standpoint.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#115 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Archiving is something that every content provider is against due to the very nature of their business. If you can save something permanently on a HD why would you buy their box sets? Why would you buy the movies.

So what would having a storage time limit (before you have to re-archive) do to that theory?

I've heard a contrary view that once you've paid for programming on your HDTV, you shouldn't have to pay for it again either (such as buying a Blu Ray of the exact same thing). It appears there are multiple positions on this topic.

#116 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

I do archive everything I want to archive, and I dont buy box sets or movies. I dont believe in paying for the same thing twice.

Dish allows archiving, Comcast (using a Tivo DVR) allows archiving...What is DirecTv's problem?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#117 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Could a company store a single copy of everything out there and then allow people to access it? Sure it's called On Demand not archives.

I can understand wanting to swap HD's if you're replacing a unit for whatever reason and that may eventually be something that becomes an option (my comment only) but having the ability to access anything that you have had recorded will not be an option unless the business models change significantly and there is no reason to do so from a business standpoint.

I am watching recordings from August 2011. Multiple shows that I have seasons worth of time invested in. If I want to keep something indefinitely, I'll buy the Blu-ray. But I would hate to have a DVR or HDD failure that would cause me to lose my recordings, some of which do not get released in HD.

#118 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

We're talking about Archiving all kinds of Recordings not just Movies or Series and such.

I might want to Store a Golf Event or a Significant Historical Newscast or whatever and you can't ask Directv to Record every single thing every day and Store it on a Server.

It would take too much storage space.

So give us the Ability to buy a Large USB External Drive and hook it up to Nomad and them use Nomad to Offload Selected Recordings to the USB Drive for Archival Purposes as we have already paid for the right to View these Recordings.

Now let us move them to whatever DVR we want or to Restore to a DVR after the Internal Drive that dies has been Replaced.

Edited by Richierich, 09 May 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Here's My Setup

#119 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

But I would hate to have a DVR or HDD failure that would cause me to lose my recordings, some of which do not get released in HD.

EXACTLY!!! :)

I have lost 2 Hard Drives and it was Very Painful!!! :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#120 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

So what would having a storage time limit (before you have to re-archive) do to that theory?

I've heard a contrary view that once you've paid for programming on your HDTV, you shouldn't have to pay for it again either (such as buying a Blu Ray of the exact same thing). It appears there are multiple positions on this topic.

Storage limit increase itself wouldn't be difficult but until DIRECTV starts putting 2TB drives in machines there isn't a reason to do so. Your average consumer has more than enough room to use a DVR as intended.

I do archive everything I want to archive, and I dont buy box sets or movies. I dont believe in paying for the same thing twice.

Dish allows archiving, Comcast (using a Tivo DVR) allows archiving...What is DirecTv's problem?

Dish allows you to move a HD to another DVR. They do not advertise that you can use a HD to backup all of your programs and keep them forever. It can be done if people are so inclined but it's not the most graceful way of doing something. You could torrent it if you want to so just because something can be done doesn't mean it was intended to be done.

TiVo doesn't care about the content providers needs because they don't have to answer to them. Maybe that's one of the reasons that TiVo is where it is today.

With that said it won't matter to most what the reasons are because they just want what they want. I can understand that but don't expect it to happen. The costs would be astronomical for companies to deal with and they would rather have an on demand service they control. So the best focus would be getting companies to get setup like HBO To GO is and so forth.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...