Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

EXACTLY!!! :)

I have lost 2 Hard Drives and it was Very Painful!!! :nono2:

Buy better drives.

!rolling

[You must have known that was coming.... :D]

But you, David, and I are pretty much on the same page that there is certainly a viable desire for the ability to store content for extended periods of time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Is there a way on configuring for Raid 6? I use Raid 6 for Petabyte disk storage

I don't think you have many options. RAID 0 would increase capacity, but if you lose one drive, you lose all data. I don't think there are any economical ways to get RAID5, plus the 2TB limit would still apply.

Swapping drives, you'd have to keep the Series links and such current on both drives.

Sounds like you've done a lot of recording in a few weeks. I thought a 2TB should be able to handle more than 400 hours of MPEG4 HD.

#123 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Buy better drives.

!rolling

[You must have known that was coming.... :D]

They were Stock TiVo Drives in 2 HR10-250s that Eventually Died!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Richierich, 16 July 2012 - 11:37 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#124 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

There were Stock TiVo Drives in 2 HR10-250s that Eventually Died!!! :rolleyes:

:lol: Well that explains it... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#125 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

That was indeed the plan for some time.

Uh huh... I just think your "source", that you're more than happy to tout that you know, was blowing smoke you know where...

All that said, recent DirecTV presentations to the financial community have "hinted" that this is now on their roadmap. For that reason, as well as the HR34 added recording loss risk exposure, I suspect we may actually see some form of solution sooner than later.

Numerous things have been "hinted" at over the years in various presentations and have still never come to fruition.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#126 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Archiving is something that every content provider is against due to the very nature of their business. If you can save something permanently on a HD why would you buy their box sets? Why would you buy the movies.

Exactly... Content providers wouldn't allow "permanent storage" of their content.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#127 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

But you, David, and I are pretty much on the same page that there is certainly a viable desire for the ability to store content for extended periods of time.

But a desire doesn't mean you'll get what you want.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#128 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Is there a way on configuring for Raid 6? I use Raid 6 for Petabyte disk storage

Using RAID 6 would be like trying to swat a fly with a tank. RAID 1 is all you need.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#129 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Exactly... Content providers wouldn't allow "permanent storage" of their content.

Well, Archiving Recordings is No More a Means of "Permanent Storage" than Storing those Recordings on a DVR, you are just Storing a Copy of your Original Recording on a Backup Storage Device such as a USB External Drive off of a Nomad Device Not for Viewing Purposes but for the Purpose of Archiving.

With Nomad right now you are Storing another version of your Original Recording on Nomad prior to Nomad Offloading a Transcoded Version to your Mobile Device.

Also, you have already paid for the right to Store and View those Recordings on your DVR so why not be able to Archive them for your Own Purposes.

With Nomad you are already Storing those Recordings on Nomad and also your Mobile Device so I don't see a Content Protection Issue.

It is not like I am letting someone else View these Recordings on their Device.

Edited by Richierich, 09 May 2012 - 04:02 PM.

Here's My Setup

#130 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Utterly bee s ! :down:

Then wouldn't be CD, DVD and Blu Ray disks, not telling about VHS cassettes.

#131 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Utterly bee s ! :down:

Then wouldn't be CD, DVD and Blu Ray disks, not telling about VHS cassettes.

There's a difference between a blu-ray that the content providers make and distribute and you holding on to a recording forever.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#132 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

There's a difference between a blu-ray that the content providers make and distribute and you holding on to a recording forever.

What is the Difference between me Storing a Recording on my DVR for Viewing versus Storing that same Recording on a Backup External Drive for Purposes of Archiving???

I have already paid for the Right to View and Contain that Source Material on my DVR so what is the Big Deal of making a Copy that only I can use???
Here's My Setup

#133 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

What is the Difference between me Storing a Recording on my DVR for Viewing versus Storing that same Recording on a Backup External Drive for Purposes of Archiving???

Depending upon the content anywhere from $20 to $100+. Paying for HBO isn't considered you paying to "own" a movie you record.

I'm not saying the providers are right and I'm certainly not saying that their blu-ray prices are great but it is their content and their copyright.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#134 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Fair Use Act does not limiting your copy by time frame.

#135 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Depending upon the content anywhere from $20 to $100+. Paying for HBO isn't considered you paying to "own" a movie you record.

I'm not saying the providers are right and I'm certainly not saying that their blu-ray prices are great but it is their content and their copyright.

You are talking about Movies and TV Series Stuff and I am just talking about Recording everyday stuff like a Newscast or Diners, Driveins and Dives.

I have Paid for the Right to have those Recordings in my House for Viewing and if I want to make a Copy for Backup Purposes why would they care as long as no one else can View it.
Here's My Setup

#136 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Fair Use Act does not limiting your copy by time frame.

The fair use act doesn't even apply here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#137 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

You are talking about Movies and TV Series Stuff and I am just talking about Recording everyday stuff like a Newscast or Diners, Driveins and Dives.

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives IS a TV Series...

I have Paid for the Right to have those Recordings in my House for Viewing and if I want to make a Copy for Backup Purposes why would they care as long as no one else can View it.

It doesn't matter why they care, the point is they do.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#138 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Really ? ! The CD, DVD, VHS are the copies. Not originals.

#139 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Really ? ! The CD, DVD, VHS are the copies. Not originals.

Exactly! Fair Use Act only covers your usage of an original. If you're talking about a recording made by a DVR, which we are but I'm not sure you are, then you do NOT own an "original".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#140 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,369 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Currently none of the providers offer protection against HDD failure, and realistically thats not what most are asking for.

The archive system that brand E uses comes pretty close. The idea being that a drive that isn't plugged in isn't likely to fail. If you're so inclined, you can record a show more than once and make archive copies to different hard drives. None of this necessarily requires external hardware or computers.

Given how easy it would be to implement account-based keys (given that they're already dealing with exchanging keys for WHDS), you pretty much have to assume that DIRECTV is committed to not doing it (unless you have reliable insight to the contrary).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall