Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Uh huh... I just think your "source", that you're more than happy to tout that you know, was blowing smoke you know where...

I'll let them know you said hello, including the part where you're wrong in what was said. :rolleyes:

Numerous things have been "hinted" at over the years in various presentations and have still never come to fruition.

Which is exactly what I said before. Duh.

Me....and my....shaddow.... :nono::D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

The Folks at Morega have told me that they can easily use Nomad for Archiving Purposes if Senior Management at Directv chooses to do so as they have Access to the Customer's Account Number via the Authentication Server so they could just Substitute the Account Number for the RID # and the Directv Software Logic could be altered to look for the Account Number rather than the RID # for verification of DHCP Authority to View those Recordings.

They can also Store the Archived Recordings on a USB External Hard Drive which can then be Transferred back to the Original DVR after it's Internal Hard Drive that Failed has been Replaced by a New Drive.

I think Nomad sales would skyrocket if they allowed this; they should do it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#143 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

A number of others share that perspective with you.

#144 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

A number of others share that perspective with you.

Can or are Nomads tied to accounts? Otherwise, people will lend them out.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#145 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

As they can with DVRs? nomads need to be validated on one's own home LAN, so it's not going to go far or long. I suppose there's a possibility that 30 friends could drop by every evening with iPads and d/l transcodes....but they'd have to be registered as well.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#146 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

As they can with DVRs? nomads need to be validated on one's own home LAN, so it's not going to go far or long. I suppose there's a possibility that 30 friends could drop by every evening with iPads and d/l transcodes....but they'd have to be registered as well.

I meant to prevent passing Nomads around to backup your recordings.

#147 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ah, yes, that'd be very hard to do, perhaps next to impossible. Impractical, too, in the extreme. Sorry I misread the q.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#148 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Nomad isn't but the client software is tied to your account. You have to use your DIRECTV website ID and password to use the client. Once the client talks to nomad, nomad then checks on the validity of the account.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#149 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,016 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Given the 30 day expiration on nomad transfers, this seems quite unlikely.

What hardware is capable of and what they intend to implement are decidedly different issues. For his part, Michael White has stated in a couple of conference calls that it will all come down to resolving the rights issue.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#150 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Given the 30 day expiration on nomad transfers, this seems quite unlikely.

What hardware is capable of and what they intend to implement are decidedly different issues. For his part, Michael White has stated in a couple of conference calls that it will all come down to resolving the rights issue.

:confused: Why would they keep the 30 day limit if you're saving to backup? That'd make no sense.

#151 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

:confused: Why would they keep the 30 day limit if you're saving to backup? That'd make no sense.

It is how it works. There is a 30 limit on all transcoded/downloaded programs.

You can't use Nomad to archive recordings.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#152 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Exactly! Fair Use Act only covers your usage of an original. If you're talking about a recording made by a DVR, which we are but I'm not sure you are, then you do NOT own an "original".

Technically, they are copies as CD, DVD, etc.

#153 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Mike

I understand that's how it is now, but should they allow archiving as has been discussed here, it'd defeat the purpose of allowing nomad to do the extra stuff like putting in on a new HR.

#154 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'll let them know you said hello, including the part where you're wrong in what was said. :rolleyes:

Please do...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#155 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Technically, they are copies as CD, DVD, etc.

No, they aren't.

You can make copies if you OWN the original. A recording via DVR does NOT give you ownership.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#156 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Nomad isn't but the client software is tied to your account. You have to use your DIRECTV website ID and password to use the client. Once the client talks to nomad, nomad then checks on the validity of the account.

Yeah - what Mike said.

The DirecTV authentication process is tied to the account.

Please do...

Not sure why you're strangely turning things personal for some bizarre reason. Reporting on what has been publically stated and then blaming me for it not turning out is weird.

Let's move on to the topic at hand.

#157 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yeah - what Mike said.

The DirecTV authentication process is tied to the account.

Not sure why you're strangely turning things personal for some bizarre reason. Reporting on what has been publically stated and then blaming me for it not turning out is weird.

Let's move on to the topic at hand.

I'm not blaming you for anything. Perhaps you're taking things too personally.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#158 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm not blaming you for anything. Perhaps you're taking things too personally.

You turned things personal with your "blowing smoke" remark.

Let's move on and be productive please.

#159 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

A few weeks ago I hooked up 2Tb of external storage (WD HDD and Thermaltake enclosure) for my HR24. As I already only have 40% left, I'm wondering if I can expand my storage further without buying another 2Tb drive and enclosure and going thru the powerdown, swap, and bootup routine. Can a RAID enclosure with multiple drives be utilized, using the RAID controller to switch between the drives without going thru the old swap routine? In short, what are the alternatives to having to catalogue a collection of 2Tb drives?

So going back to the original question...the answer is...2TB is the current maximum hard drive capacity limit per DVR. Even with raid storage or larger drives, only 2TB per DVR can be utilized. The only current means to increase more overall capacity is via multiple DVRs with multiple hard drives.

This is one of the things that challenges the HR34 situation. If the hard drive goes on that unit (assuming there are no other DVRs), the household loses everything in terms of recorded content. Perhaps that helps motivate a solution for some form of account-based "backup" capability.

#160 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

You turned things personal with your "blowing smoke" remark.

Let's move on and be productive please.

Again, nothing was personal. You're making it personal. If you want to make it personal take it to PM.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...