Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get >2Tb storage??

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

There are about 3 different things being discussed here:

The 2 TB limit is kernel limited and while it could be updated, probably without any real issues, however DIRECTV has no reason to do so as they aren't putting HD's that large in machines.

Being able to archive a drive to save recordings when replacing a receiver. This could be possible depending on the failure of the unit if they added the function to make an image creator and loader into the OS. However this would require supporting external HDs officially.

Archiving programs for personal use which at this stage in the game isn't even on anyones radar. For every reason you want to do it the companies have not to do it. The bottom line is because it would negatively impact the bottom line.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

The 2 TB limit is kernel limited and while it could be updated, probably without any real issues, however DIRECTV has no reason to do so as they aren't putting HD's that large in machines.

Being able to archive a drive to save recordings when replacing a receiver. This could be possible depending on the failure of the unit if they added the function to make an image creator and loader into the OS. However this would require supporting external HDs officially.

Archiving programs for personal use which at this stage in the game isn't even on anyones radar. For every reason you want to do it the companies have not to do it. The bottom line is because it would negatively impact the bottom line.

Nice attempt to move away for real current implementation of archiving on EHD by a competitor. But not smart being an ostrich. :)

#163 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

Nice attempt to move away for real current implementation of archiving on EHD by a competitor. But not smart being an ostrich. :)

I think you're reading into it too much.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#164 OFFLINE   Sunner73

Sunner73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

I have 3 DVRs whose Sole Purpose in Life is to Backup my 4 other DVRs. :D

It's unfortunate that you have to pay $6 each = $18 "every" month just to have the redundancy.

Think about the $216/yr you could be keeping in your pocket "IF" for example marrying the recordings to the account # instead of the current RID #.

Hopefully someday.....
Directv customer since 2001
1 HR34-50" Projection TV
2 HR24-27" HDTV/Monitor & 27" CRT
2 DSR704 DTivo's (no locals)-32" CRTs
1 DSR7000 DTivo-27" CRT
Only the 2 DSR704's MRV'ed

Upgraded to AU9 Slimline w/SWM16 w/uS575 stacker feeding a LAL20a amp supplying single coax to each of the 3 DSR's w/dual destackers.

#165 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

It's unfortunate that you have to pay $6 each = $18 "every" month just to have the redundancy.

Think about the $216/yr you could be keeping in your pocket "IF" for example marrying the recordings to the account # instead of the current RID #.

Hopefully someday.....

Money is Not One of My Problems in Life, hence my UserID!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#166 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

Philip, the CEO of Morega, which developed Nomad has stated to me and HDTVFANBOY at CES 2012 that they would like to Implement Archiving and they could easily do it as it is just Offloading an Image Copy of the Recording without having to Transcode it.

The 30 Day Rule would not apply as it is not Viewable on the USB External Hard Drive.

You also could not Offload the Recording to a Friend's PC unless the PC was Registered and Authenticated by Directv.

You could also Offload it to a 3 or 4 TB USB External Hard Drive without a Problem because you are just Storing Image Copies for later Restoration to a Particular DVR (it could be any DVR that is tied to your Account # Via the Authentication Server).

It is all up to Directv to choose the Path that they want to take if they decide to Allow Archiving and I have been told by Reputable Directv Sources that they are discussing Archiving and will come out with a Method in the not too distant Future. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#167 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

.....and I have been told by Reputable Directv Sources that they are discussing Archiving and will come out with a Method in the not too distant Future. :D

Of course to some folks...that's considered "blowing smoke"... ;) :D

Certainly a valid point.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#168 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

We're talking about Archiving all kinds of Recordings not just Movies or Series and such.

I might want to Store a Golf Event or a Significant Historical Newscast or whatever and you can't ask Directv to Record every single thing every day and Store it on a Server.

It would take too much storage space.

So give us the Ability to buy a Large USB External Drive and hook it up to Nomad and them use Nomad to Offload Selected Recordings to the USB Drive for Archival Purposes as we have already paid for the right to View these Recordings.

Now let us move them to whatever DVR we want or to Restore to a DVR after the Internal Drive that dies has been Replaced.

Satellite broadcasts and DVR are not the only plausible means to provide the functionality that we want. Consider how many copies of any given show are sitting on drives in homes. Why is that storage any more excessive than centralized storage? Storage in the cloud is massive and growing more massive by the second - Google/Youtube/Amazon/Apple/...

Cloud storage is preferable. Minimal redundancy (copies/RAID/replication), robust power (UPS/generators) and cooling, efficiencies of scale, etc, etc.

Every single program that is broadcast is in fact stored somewhere and increasingly digitally. Older stuff is probably on original film roll or digital tape. May not be immediately accessible but could be brought online soon enough. Large data centers typically have huge robots that manage digital tape. Worst case, a body has to go pull media off a shelf and mount it in a drive - which can then be cached in online storage. Why not have the content owners provide streams on demand? Delivery services like D* could just be proxies for those streams which would not require them to store anything. They are just a proxy now for broadcasts.

The limitation today is the bandwidth from the content owner to the customer. As the internet bandwidth continues to grow this will eventually not be an issue.

The consumers device should be a cache only. Tell it what you want and it brings it into its cache. Sort of like on demand only predictive - for series pre-cache a certain number of episodes, when you've watched and deleted one it queues up the next. This isolates the viewer from the bandwidth limitations. Who cares if it takes 4 hours to download a 1 hour program. If the consumers device fails just drop in a new one and it re-caches everything the old one had. Only 1 cache/server per home is needed.

With sufficient internet bandwidth there is no need for satellite. Or better yet, convert the satellite service from rebroadcast of hundreds of channels to all on demand delivery. When the same program is requested by multiple consumer devices it can transmit that stream once to all of them.

A fitting pricing model is a minimum subscription for the service and the device in the home plus pay-per-view for every program. Obviously with program cost low enough that it's cheaper for most people than todays model and re-watching a program months later is worth the cost (maybe even charge less per view after the first). Actually, the first view should pay for all the "content" and subsequent views should only charge for the infrastructure to deliver the already-paid-for content. They could even provide a with-commerical and without-commercial with appropriate price difference.

This would be a revolutionary advancement. Maybe it's what Apple is working on. Broadcasting should go the same way as CD and book stores. The content providers would be wise to enable this as soon as possible.

#169 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

In fairness I thought it would be too.

Thanks for the reaffirmation Stuart.

#170 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Philip, the CEO of Morega, which developed Nomad has stated to me and HDTVFANBOY at CES 2012 that they would like to Implement Archiving and they could easily do it as it is just Offloading an Image Copy of the Recording without having to Transcode it.

The 30 Day Rule would not apply as it is not Viewable on the USB External Hard Drive.

You also could not Offload the Recording to a Friend's PC unless the PC was Registered and Authenticated by Directv.

You could also Offload it to a 3 or 4 TB USB External Hard Drive without a Problem because you are just Storing Image Copies for later Restoration to a Particular DVR (it could be any DVR that is tied to your Account # Via the Authentication Server).

It is all up to Directv to choose the Path that they want to take if they decide to Allow Archiving and I have been told by Reputable Directv Sources that they are discussing Archiving and will come out with a Method in the not too distant Future. :D

The one thing that would be hard to get around is being a DIRECTV subscriber. If we leave DIRECTV the recordings are no longer viewable.

To archive it would also have to be some standard format that doesn’t require a proprietary client to view the recordings. I’m pretty sure that will never happen so would Morega/DIRECTV go through the effort to allow such archiving if they have no control over the DRM? Would the broadcasters be on board with that?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#171 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

This is the "official" page on the DirecTV site regarding how they support extended storage:

http://news.directv....-dvr-or-hd-dvr/

This page includes recording time capacities for comparison - the HR34 (aka Whole Home Media Center) had the largest onboard storage (twice that of any current HD DVR). Note: they measure things in hours, not HDD size):

http://www.directv.c...gy/hmc_receiver

#172 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

The one thing that would be hard to get around is being a DIRECTV subscriber. If we leave DIRECTV the recordings are no longer viewable.

That's actually a fascinating point Mike.

Since the controls are in place to manage access via subscriber authentication...perhaps that could be leveraged somehow to accomplish household use (only) of external storage. Perhaps that infrastructure could allow DirecTV to enforce and ensure copy protection compliance. :shrug:

#173 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

That was indeed the plan for some time. The challenge is when the time to implement something exceeds the window of opportunity for its "critical" need and compared with "more important priorities". Anyone familiar with roadmaps (I manage one in another industry) knows that beyond 3-6 months down the road, roadmap content items and corresponding priorities change.

Roadmap plans like this are laid out all the time. While in most cases these things do get done, not everything gets implemented when it comes up for "next in line" deployment. This is just one example.

Having launched polls on this very topic twice in the past 30 months, and seeing an overwhelming desire for some kind of either household recording storage or general archiving (either one to avoid loss of "prized recordings"), I have been a strong advocate for the important need to address this.

With the launch of the HR34 device, and the increased risk of having one central storage location (as opposed to multiple HD DVRs for example), this is both a continued and timely topic to this day.

Something needs to be done to allow end users to have a means to avoid recording loss from a hard drive failure. The technology exists to support it, including the required ability to assure copyright protection for content.

All that said, recent DirecTV presentations to the financial community have "hinted" that this is now on their roadmap. For that reason, as well as the HR34 added recording loss risk exposure, I suspect we may actually see some form of solution sooner than later.

I don't know what to think about this. I do know I won't get a 34 unless D* changes the policy to allow all HDDs on an account to be read by all HRs on the same account. I know, as you do, the technology exists for this change, but at what cost?

The HD GUI really didn't bother my HRs all that much (still haven't received the new NR), certainly not as much as it seems to have bothered other folks and their HRs. I gotta admit I'm a little apprehensive about a change in how the HDDs work inside an account and how well D* will implement that change.

Rich

#174 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Currently none of the providers offer protection against HDD failure, and realistically thats not what most are asking for. We want the ability to be able to view our prized recordings on another dvr on our acct if the dvr dies.....

Agreed, I've had a whole lot more DVR failures than HDD failures.

Rich

#175 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

I do archive everything I want to archive, and I dont buy box sets or movies. I dont believe in paying for the same thing twice.

Dish allows archiving, Comcast (using a Tivo DVR) allows archiving...What is DirecTv's problem?

There's a question that begs an answer.

Rich

#176 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Does anyone remember the original mp3.com? It was an awesome site. You used your own CDs to confirm ownership. You were then able to access those tracks which had already been ripped by mp3.com for streaming to wherever you were signed in. It was a sad day when it disappeared, but it was an idea before its time. Since then, the music industry has been transformed and CDs are near death's door.

What's next at this point is anyone's guess. "Cloud" storage to rescue recordings from dead DVRs? Why not? The push to access TV "everywhere" has certainly laid the groundwork required from a rights standpoint.

#177 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Does anyone remember the original mp3.com? It was an awesome site. You used your own CDs to confirm ownership. You were then able to access those tracks which had already been ripped by mp3.com for streaming to wherever you were signed in. It was a sad day when it disappeared, but it was an idea before its time. Since then, the music industry has been transformed and CDs are near death's door.

What's next at this point is anyone's guess. "Cloud" storage to rescue recordings from dead DVRs? Why not? The push to access TV "everywhere" has certainly laid the groundwork required from a rights standpoint.

Why use a 'iPhone' to hammering nails ?

All shows must be in the Cloud - all originals, just give/sell access to them.
Dump all the middleman provides (sat, cable, etc ) , give 1 Gb optical cable to each home, make 1 Tb backbones ...

Turn the digital world to us !

#178 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

give 1 Gb optical cable to each home, make 1 Tb backbones ...

Love this idea! I'm ready for completely free everything!

I wonder how many $ trillions it'd take to build out? Maybe the Chinese gov't will gift it to the people of these United States.....?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#179 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Love this idea! I'm ready for completely free everything!

I wonder how many $ trillions it'd take to build out? Maybe the Chinese gov't will gift it to the people of these United States.....?

:lol: Don't expect it to "appear" anytime *soon*...and I suspect you don't. :D

There are also still plenty of concerns from corporate America when it comes to cloud use. For applications with secure or sensitive data, those aspects require a sophisticated (and expensive) infrastructure.

At the end of the day...opening up local HDD storage to 2TB (or more some day perhaps) is the easiest and most economical path for the near term.

#180 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,327 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

:confused: Why would they keep the 30 day limit if you're saving to backup? That'd make no sense.

And having the 30 day limit now does?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall