Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey upgrades

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Use EHD and you'll be fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   volcanomike

volcanomike

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Called to upgrade and was quoted $300 for one hopper and Joey. If anyone can assist me and get this more affordable please send me a message. Thanks

#23 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

That is how they serve three TVs. To get the second hopper to appear you have to have five or six TVs. Getting two Hoppers without three Joeys would be a special case.

That's unfortunate. Due to the configuration of the house, two Hoppers and one Joey is the only way I would go with an upgrade at this time. Well, back to ruling out my "upgrade".

On receivers as old as the 622s (perhaps older) DISH allows separate lock lists for TV1 and TV2. I'm looking forward to seeing how Parental Control works between Hoppers and Joeys.

This time around I hope DISH allows the various lock options to work without having to actually lock the entire receiver. Here, there are some options that I wouldn't mind having enable, the issue is that the entire receiver has to be locked for them to actually become enabled. :rolleyes:

I can't think of any reason why the lock option themselves couldn't be enabled as soon as they are selected. And, if parents want to sleep just a little bit easier, they can go one step further and lock the entire receiver. That's the best of both worlds.

The reason, I'm guessing, that the lock options haven't worked when selected is because DISH is likely catering to the lowest common denominator. Yet, this could all be competently and elegantly handle by the intuitiveness of the GUI. Perhaps starting with a simple text warning about the consequences of exiting without locking the entire receiver and if that's acknowledge, then enable the selected lock options and exit the settings.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

That's unfortunate. Due to the configuration of the house, two Hoppers and one Joey is the only way I would go with an upgrade at this time.

PM a DIRT person ... You'll likely have to pay more for a second Hopper than a second Joey. It doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as the locks issue, I expect that we will be able to lock by channel or rating. By channel doesn't help when some content is good and other content "not so much". For example, record a kids movie on Cinemax. If you lock out Cinemax because of the "Skinamax" hours the kids won't be able to watch their movie. And ratings locks are useless as "unrated" shows are locked out as if they were R rated shows. For a show to pass a ratings lock it has to be rated (in the EPG), and rated lower than the lock level.

I'd like to see a folder lock. Allow recorded programs to be put in folders that could be shared or not shared with specific Joeys.

#25 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Called to upgrade and was quoted $300 for one hopper and Joey. If anyone can assist me and get this more affordable please send me a message. Thanks

i was quoted $100 for one hopper and 2 joeys
i guess it depends on your billing history or amount of time u been with dish

#26 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I guess it depends on your billing history or amount of time u been with dish.

Maybe it's also based on how much you spend a month? Magic 8-ball? 20-sided dice? Certainly which CSR you talk to makes a difference. Which is why CSR roulette is important.

This is another thing that bugs me. When I go into a restaurant and order a pizza, the prices are right there on a sign at the order counter. The prices are the same for everyone, no favorites. Nor am I asked for my pizza account number so they can determine how much to charge me this time.

Now I can somewhat understand that a price difference will exist between new and existing DISH subscribers, but when two existing subscribers order the same pizza, I would expect the price to be what's on the sign.

Edited by Blowgun, 16 March 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Placed my upgrade order yesterday morning, and scheduled for a noon to five installation today. Installer never arrived. Called Dish CS, and they said the order had an error and I would need to reschedule. I am self-employed and do not make money sitting at home for five hours waiting for an installer. The call was escalated to the executive office, where I was told I must waste another five hours hoping an installer might arrive another day. TWC is looking good...

I have been a customer for six years, always pay my bill, and maintained a good attitude during my 45 minute call, but this situation is unacceptable.

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Now I can somewhat understand that a price difference will exist between new and existing DISH subscribers, but when two existing subscribers order the same pizza, I would expect the price to be what's on the sign.

The price list may be too complicated for a sign.

For example, upgrading a cell phone. You can have one year pricing, two year pricing and month to month (no contract) pricing. But if you have not finished your commitment from your last upgrade you will pay the full price for the phone.

A person who just got DISH or just upgraded a couple of months ago has not compensated DISH for the last big discount they received. I can see them paying a higher price than someone who is out of commitment.

In pizza the price sign could say: Regular carryout price $10 each, special price $5 (with proof of previous purchase). Someone walks in the door, pays $10, takes the pizza out to the car, walks back in and buys another pizza for $5 as a "return customer" --- or another five pizzas. The reason for the deal was to reward returning customers, not create a loophole. So the pizza price sign changes to "with proof of purchase on a previous date" and a "limit 2 at the special price" is added. Perhaps not too complicated for a pizza sign.

If the rules are too complicated the sign gets a "* certain restrictions apply" and the satellite upgrade offer gets a "call for pricing". :)

#29 OFFLINE   HD IS MY LIFE

HD IS MY LIFE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Isolators can be installed so that two Hoppers do not share information.

That's what I want!!! I'm getting 2 Hoppers with 2 Joeys installed next week, Will the installer arrive with the Isolator on hand or is that something that I have to purchase on my own.
Please, can a DIRT member or anyone else help me before my install on monday

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

It will depend what box he will have in his trunk - Solo or Duo. The new DPX switches required to connect h2k to DPP equipment [DPP44 or DPP LNBF].

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

It will depend what box he will have in his trunk - Solo or Duo. The new DPX switches required to connect h2k to DPP equipment [DPP44 or DPP LNBF].

Two Hoppers requires the Duo node. If he doesn't have it on his truck and can't get one from another installer in the area there cannot be an install.

The isolators (if the installer has them) are installed between the Duo node and each Hopper on the "to host" line. The outputs of each isolator's "to host" and "to client" connect to the Hopper and Joey (respectively) that can talk to each other.

#32 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

The price list may be too complicated for a sign.

Then they need bigger signage. ;) :lol:

Seriously, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, whatever the means are to determine price, there remains inconsistency in the ordering process. I bet if I called twice on Monday, I'd get two different Hopper quotes. And, if I called back a third time to accept one of the two offers, a third quote. And, if that isn't frustrating enough, I do not trust that what was discussed on the phone will actually take place.

Yeah, I know, Live Chat, etc., but that's not my point. Unless, to make the point that others also don't trust phone ordering. And yet, I bet that phone ordering is the most used method and the lease consistent.

I'm not saying that it's always like this. Instead, what I am saying is that it happens often enough in my experience and from reading other people's experiences.

Perhaps that's the problem, it's too complicated.

#33 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

It's already getting a little complicated for me: I sent a PM to the DIRT (as suggested in the beginning of the thread) but no response yet, I guess too many requests?
So today I decided to give Dish a call, and I was told I can't get the Hopper+Joey upgrade because you need a minimum of 4 HDTV active in the house. Only 3 TVs? No Hopper for you! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I never heard that one before.
I am a top tier customer of 7 yrs, I have the Everything Package with all the HD extra channels and Protection Plan.
This sounds ridiculous.

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

From all reports that I read, the whole upgrade process is one big crap shoot! No rhyme or reason for the pricing or configuration stories I read. Sounds like yet another 'new' thing they forgot to really train the sales CSRs on!

Hopefully this stupidity will clear itself up in awhile.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Sure does sound like Dish was not ready for primetime here... I wonder what they've been doing the past year if not preparing for this major product release?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#36 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Well, as suspected the first CSR was wrong, I just went on chat ordered 1Hopper+2Joeys, and the installer will come tomorrow!
Can't wait...
And report back ;)

#37 OFFLINE   Frodo301

Frodo301

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have both called and messaged the Dish reps on Facebook. Both quoted a price of $100.00 four tvs, one hopper three joeys. I specificly asked about standard definition tv sets and a lack of hdmi on on two of my sets and were told by both that it was supported. So for those that have the system are the joeys compatible with sd sets or not? I'm not ordering until I have confirmation. The sd tvs are for the kids and until they no longer work I refuse to upgrade them.

#38 OFFLINE   duffasaurus

duffasaurus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I have both called and messaged the Dish reps on Facebook. Both quoted a price of $100.00 four tvs, one hopper three joeys. I specificly asked about standard definition tv sets and a lack of hdmi on on two of my sets and were told by both that it was supported. So for those that have the system are the joeys compatible with sd sets or not? I'm not ordering until I have confirmation. The sd tvs are for the kids and until they no longer work I refuse to upgrade them.

I have 1 Hopper/3 Joeys and only 2 of my Tvs are HD. The 2 SD Tvs are supported just fine with composite video outputs from the Joeys! You have no reason to hold back now, it's a great system and I only have it for 3 days!

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

So for those that have the system are the joeys compatible with sd sets or not?

If your SD sets have AV inputs (video and audio on RCA connectors) you will be able to feed them from a Joey. There is no "RF" output (eg: channel 3/4) so if you don't have AV inputs you will need to provide your own modulator.

The menus are designed for a HD set and some items may be difficult to read, but yes - you can use a Joey on a SD set.

#40 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I could see scenarios where it might even be desired to not have the two Hoppers communicate with each other. You might, for example, have one Hopper for the adults and one Hopper for the kids' rooms. That way if you had any DVRed stuff on the adult Hopper that you didn't want to be viewable by the kids, they wouldn't even see those recordings from their rooms.

I would like to think that even when they fix the firmware to allow them to communicate, that you could have the option to keep them isolated if you wanted.

Setting Parental Locks on the Joey's can also accomplish this without sacrificing the ability to view recordings saved on the second Hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...