Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey upgrades

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

That's what I want!!! I'm getting 2 Hoppers with 2 Joeys installed next week, Will the installer arrive with the Isolator on hand or is that something that I have to purchase on my own.
Please, can a DIRT member or anyone else help me before my install on monday

The installer will have Isolators with them. Just let the installer know what you would like to accomplish when he arrives.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

It's already getting a little complicated for me: I sent a PM to the DIRT (as suggested in the beginning of the thread) but no response yet, I guess too many requests?
So today I decided to give Dish a call, and I was told I can't get the Hopper+Joey upgrade because you need a minimum of 4 HDTV active in the house. Only 3 TVs? No Hopper for you! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I never heard that one before.
I am a top tier customer of 7 yrs, I have the Everything Package with all the HD extra channels and Protection Plan.
This sounds ridiculous.

Who did you send a PM to? We were very busy over the weekend handling upgrades. I was out of the office on Friday and Saturday. I am available now if you send me a PM I would be more than happy to assist you.

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Setting Parental Locks on the Joey's can also accomplish this without sacrificing the ability to view recordings saved on the second Hopper.

There are situations where Parental Locks are not good enough. For example, a R rated movie on HBO cannot be locked out without either locking out all other recordings from that channel (including saved children's movies) or using ratings locks that treat "unrated" content as if it were worse than R. Yes, unrated often is worse than R, but there are some programs that simply don't have a rating attached.

Perhaps a folder lock would work better ... where parents could put their content in a folder and lock viewing without a password?

Otherwise separate unshared Hoppers seems like a good way to go.

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Setting Parental Locks on the Joey's can also accomplish this without sacrificing the ability to view recordings saved on the second Hopper.

True... and that's how I assume most will do it once the Hoppers get the upgrade to communicate with each other.

But in the meantime, it might actually be a beneficial "feature" that they don't communicate for some customers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#45 OFFLINE   ewingr

ewingr

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I would like a Hopper. But here is my situation.

I have 3 TVs, but one of the 3 is small, in my office, and watched infrequently. I don't really want to pay $7/month for that. Is it still possible to send to an SD TV over the cable like the 722?

I haven't been able to find any info on Dish about the actual size of the Joey. Anyone have info on that? My TV in our Bedroom is mounted up high on the wall, and I have no place to put that. I'm wondering if I will be able to fit it behind the TV in some manner up on the wall.

Oh, also, how does the Hopper communicate to the Joey?

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I would like a Hopper. But here is my situation.

I have 3 TVs, but one of the 3 is small, in my office, and watched infrequently. I don't really want to pay $7/month for that. Is it still possible to send to an SD TV over the cable like the 722?

I haven't been able to find any info on Dish about the actual size of the Joey. Anyone have info on that? My TV in our Bedroom is mounted up high on the wall, and I have no place to put that. I'm wondering if I will be able to fit it behind the TV in some manner up on the wall.

Oh, also, how does the Hopper communicate to the Joey?

Check the diagrams (bottom page) http://www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#47 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

I screwed the Joey to the back of my TV in the bedroom. The Joey's come with a stand that can mount horizontally or vertically. The size is about 6" x 8" x 2".

#48 OFFLINE   txsrooster

txsrooster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Ok if I have two hoppers and 4 joeys..Can I pause on Hopper 1 joey 1 and resume on Hopper 2 joey 1?
Does that make sense? Maybe after the software update?

#49 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Ok if I have two hoppers and 4 joeys..Can I pause on Hopper 1 joey 1 and resume on Hopper 2 joey 1?
Does that make sense? Maybe after the software update?

Definitely not right now, as the Hoppers cannot communicate with each other.

Will that be possible once they can? We'll have to wait and see. Ideally you should be able to do that once the Hoppers can communicate with each other... but we'll have to wait to see that for sure.

#50 OFFLINE   txsrooster

txsrooster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Stewart. I may still do the upgrade. Anyone know if there is an extra charge for the install if they "enter the attic". Got popped with that one when I upgraded to HD.
Wonder if they will do a complete new install of cables..

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Stewart. I may still do the upgrade. Anyone know if there is an extra charge for the install if they "enter the attic". Got popped with that one when I upgraded to HD.

Probably depends on your installer.

It seems like each installer has a different idea of what is included in a standard install. I get why they wouldn't go out of their way to do free stuff in a complicated installation... but it seems like things like the Hopper/Joey are going to by default need new wiring in a lot of homes and perhaps to different places than before... so I hope that has been taken into account and installers are being paid according for what should be expected extra work.

#52 OFFLINE   Madflava

Madflava

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ive been trying to get my box upgraded for a week and gotten nowhere. Unfortunately I dont have 5 posts to send a PM to Raymond to see if he can help me out. GUess I need to find some stuff to talk about.

#53 OFFLINE   scredsfan

scredsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

After a bad experience with a 922, we just (as in 2 days ago) downgraded back to a 722. I haven't been following the boards, so I didn't know anything about the Hopper/Joey. Am I in any way eligible for a Hopper upgrade?
System:
-Samsung LN52B750 52" 1080p HDTV
- One Dish Hopper, one Joey
-Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray DVD player

#54 OFFLINE   sbriers

sbriers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

I've seen where it is possible with a DP44 to have a "mixed" system - VIP + Hopper/Joey setup. Is this kosher with Dish? CSR on phone tonight said not physically possible - but I think I got the wrong person...

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've seen where it is possible with a DP44 to have a "mixed" system - VIP + Hopper/Joey setup. Is this kosher with Dish? CSR on phone tonight said not physically possible - but I think I got the wrong person...

Physically possible but not allowed per DISH's business rules.

Physically it is not hard to have ONE ViP or other tuner on a system converted to a single Hopper or that has a DPP44 switch. Multiple non Hopper / Joey receivers are harder to connect (a single Hopper and two other receivers would physically work on a DPP44). But getting DISH to actually allow such an install and leave the ViPs active is the problem.

#56 OFFLINE   batrad

batrad

Legend

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

PM sent to Raymond@

Currently have 2 DVR's on my account 922 and a 612

Need to add a 3rd TV with DVR service and this might be a better deal and I can escape the FIOS guys knocking on my door touting their multiroom/remote view DVR to the Wife...

#57 OFFLINE   Madflava

Madflava

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

Also sent a PM to Raymond. Id really like to swap out my 722s.

#58 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

My wife decided that we needed to make the switch to a Hopper/Joey set up. So I sent a PM to Raymond today.

This should be interesting since my current set up is the result of many years of adding services from Dish. Saying that I am switching from 2 622's just can't describe the cabling fun.
Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#59 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

My installer went into the attic without an extra cost. I think it helps to work with the installer and help them if possible.

#60 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

After a bad experience with a 922, we just (as in 2 days ago) downgraded back to a 722. I haven't been following the boards, so I didn't know anything about the Hopper/Joey. Am I in any way eligible for a Hopper upgrade?

A 2 second visit to the Dish site would have filled you in! lol

Did you pay the $200 for the 922? If so, you might still be able to do it, also depending did you get anything free with the 722 or just mailed to you and you returned the 922?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...