Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey upgrades

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

The quickest way would be to press Menu > Yellow > Yellow.

Or you can Press Menu then select Settings > Diagnostics > Point DISH.

If you press the System information button on the front panel of the receiver you will also be able to see what orbital locations you are connected to.

Two screen images are attached. Wasn't sure exactly what you are looking for, but I'm guessing it is in one of these. Any ideas on why the picture quality is so improved?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Two screen images are attached. Wasn't sure exactly what you are looking for, but I'm guessing it is in one of these. Any ideas on why the picture quality is so improved?

Only if you'll post one picture of same channel from same TV [side-by-side, 1/2 screen each] from both DVRs: 922 and 813.

#78 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Nope.

Try to press Test button on first picture.

#79 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Only if you'll post one picture of same channel from same TV [side-by-side, 1/2 screen each] from both DVRs: 922 and 813.

Traded the 922 for the 813, so a side-by-side comparison is not possible.

#80 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nope.

Try to press Test button on first picture.

The test button prompts a four stage test, which upon completion returns to the first screen uploaded previously.

#81 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Traded the 922 for the 813, so a side-by-side comparison is not possible.

It was the idea to answer - "why ?".
Sorry, we don't have any evidence of such claim.

#82 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

The test button prompts a four stage test, which upon completion returns to the first screen uploaded previously.

Could you [proactively] try to find a screen with switch matrix (what include LNBF type, switch type, etc) similar to other IRDs ?

#83 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

I believe the "Details" button is what P Smith is looking for.

On mine it lists the three satellite inputs, the device each is connected to, and what is connected to each port. In my case "Device DPP 1K, 4 ports", "Port1 1K.4 77 Even,Odd", "Port2 1K.4 72 Even,Odd", "Port3 1K.4 61.5 Even,Odd", "Port4 No Connection" - with the same for all three inputs.

#84 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

It was the idea to answer - "why ?".
Sorry, we don't have any evidence of such claim.

And since DISH isn't allowing customers to keep ViPs on an account with a Hopper it is going to be pretty hard to get a "side by side" comparison. :rolleyes:

I suppose one could take pictures before and after upgrade but the content would not be the same ... unless the images were taken from content stored on the USB drive.

BTW: For switch type one can also look under Menu - Diagnostics - System Info (this is not the same System Info as seen by pressing the button on the front of the receiver or pressing menu-menu).
Caution: Receiver and Smart Card numbers appear in "box e" on the main screen. These should be edited out before any photographs are shared.
The switch info is in "box h" with received satellites in "box g".

#85 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Someone from around could lend his 622/722/922 to make the pictures for a couple hours ...

#86 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Could you [proactively] try to find a screen with switch matrix (what include LNBF type, switch type, etc) similar to other IRDs ?

Evidently my lack of technical knowledge as it relates to satellite television is somehow being interpreted as passivity. I proactively searched the various menus and pages looking for those fields prior to uploading the screen shots, but did not found them labeled in that way. Thanks to Mr. Long for telling me what you are specifically looking for in terms an investment manager might understand. I'll follow his instructions and report back.

And while you may not have any hard evidence of improved picture quality, it has been reported multiple times by various 813 users. I am noticing improved clarity, better fine variations in minor color transitions, and fewer artifacts in fast moving scenes and sports.

#87 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

BTW: For switch type one can also look under Menu - Diagnostics - System Info

The switch info is in "box h" with received satellites in "box g".

Thanks for letting me know specifically what I am looking for.

Switch: DPP 1K.2, 1K.2(1), 1K.2(2), 1K.2(3), (4)
Satellites: 119, 110, 129

Since all of this info was in the first image uploaded previously, I am not sure this is what Mr. Smith is seeking. Mr. Smith, if you will define the acronyms, perhaps I can answer your questions.

#88 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for letting me know specifically what I am looking for.

Switch: DPP 1K.2, 1K.2(1), 1K.2(2), 1K.2(3), (4)
Satellites: 119, 110, 129

Since all of this info was in the first image uploaded previously, I am not sure this is what Mr. Smith is seeking. Mr. Smith, if you will define the acronyms, perhaps I can answer your questions.

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28753&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1332908398
Clearly is not - that was a summary.
To follow dig into the issue, it would be necessary to know signal level on each sat and transponder ...

Actually ... Do we have something to resolve ? :D You got brand new EA 1000.2 dish with triple DPP LNBF 110/119/129, if you have good signal reading, nothing to worried.

Edited by P Smith, 28 March 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#89 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28753&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1332908398
Do we have something to resolve ?

Nothing to resolve. Grandude and others asked for the info earlier in this thread.

#90 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

OK.

Now if someone will provide any factual base (screenshots) for 'better' PQ claim...

#91 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

OK.Now if someone will provide any factual base (screenshots) for 'better' PQ claim...

It is probably the same thing as feeling that your car drives a little better just after running through the car wash.

Or, it could be that after having a VIP setup for a number of years, people are just watching the program(s) but when they get the H/J system they start again to look at the picture instead of the program for a while.

Or, the detail/color/etc. could actually be better. We do need someone to find a way to really prove this. It probably won't be me as I can't really prove my car runs better after the wash.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#92 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,187 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

OK.

Now if someone will provide any factual base (screenshots) for 'better' PQ claim...

Or you could post screen shots proving there isn't.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#93 OFFLINE   Rsmith7226

Rsmith7226

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I also called dish to upgrade to the hopper and they stated that I wasn't a customer long enough to upgrade! My argument is that by upgrading doesn't that commit me to a new two year contract showing that I'll be a long term customer short of paying a expensive cancellation fee?

#94 OFFLINE   smanson

smanson

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I called into Dish yesterday to discuss upgrading from my 722 to a Hopper/Joey. I was quoted $99 to have them installed. I wanted to take some time to think about it so I called back today. They immediately tried to steer me away from the hopper/joey originally telling me I would be better off staying with the 722. I then explained I would like to get HD to my second TV and they recommended I stay with the 722 and add another DVR for the 2nd TV. I asked why they would recommend that and what the differences would be. They had trouble explaining why and eventually put me on hold. They came back after a few minutes and said it would save me money. Though the monthly fees they quoted did not match up with what Dish has posted. I explained what the Dish website showed and they agreed with me. I ended up not ordering since I did not have confidence in the dish representative I spoke with. Has anyone else run into this scenario?

#95 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

It is probably the same thing as feeling that your car drives a little better just after running through the car wash.

Or, it could be that after having a VIP setup for a number of years, people are just watching the program(s) but when they get the H/J system they start again to look at the picture instead of the program for a while.

Or, the detail/color/etc. could actually be better. We do need someone to find a way to really prove this. It probably won't be me as I can't really prove my car runs better after the wash.

Good point. In this case though, my grown son who has moved out on his own joined us for dinner and to watch the Dallas Mavericks game a few nights ago. After about five minutes of watching, and without knowing we had a new DVR, he asked if I had recalibrated the TV or had something else changed because the picture was so much better. It is a noticeable improvement, and we did not experience this when upgrading from the 622 to the 922. Something is different, although I have no idea what it is.

#96 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Or you could post screen shots proving there isn't.

My alter ego ... devil advocate ? :D

#97 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have seen some indications on this forum that it is possible to get two Hoppers installed on an upgrade but I have no idea if that means an extra upgrade charge, will I have to do something special when I can in and ask for the upgrade?. At the moment, I have a 722, a 612 and a 222. The DVRs are just connected to one TV each to let me use one tuner or more for recording and the other for watching. We are upgrading the old second TV on the 222 to an HD and so I need to do something and the whole Hopper/Joey thing looks good but I have effectively 6 tunners today and I know I won't get away with cutting back to just 3. My wife will kill me if I try. Hence it looks like two Hoppers with two Joeys would be great and when they talk to each other I would be in hog heaven. So can I do this now or do I need to wait until the magic upgrade "soon".

Harry

#98 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have seen some indications on this forum that it is possible to get two Hoppers installed on an upgrade but I have no idea if that means an extra upgrade charge, will I have to do something special when I can in and ask for the upgrade?. At the moment, I have a 722, a 612 and a 222. The DVRs are just connected to one TV each to let me use one tuner or more for recording and the other for watching. We are upgrading the old second TV on the 222 to an HD and so I need to do something and the whole Hopper/Joey thing looks good but I have effectively 6 tunners today and I know I won't get away with cutting back to just 3. My wife will kill me if I try. Hence it looks like two Hoppers with two Joeys would be great and when they talk to each other I would be in hog heaven. So can I do this now or do I need to wait until the magic upgrade "soon".

Harry

I'm in Greenville too. I just called DishTV on Wade Hampton and they did exactly what I wanted the very day the Hopper was released. Mine was $100 for a Hopper plus $15 for the install. Joeys are free. Extra Hoppers are $100-$200 depending on your creditworthiness, etc.

Edited by mdavej, 29 March 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#99 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I called into Dish yesterday to discuss upgrading from my 722 to a Hopper/Joey. I was quoted $99 to have them installed. I wanted to take some time to think about it so I called back today. They immediately tried to steer me away from the hopper/joey originally telling me I would be better off staying with the 722. I then explained I would like to get HD to my second TV and they recommended I stay with the 722 and add another DVR for the 2nd TV. I asked why they would recommend that and what the differences would be. They had trouble explaining why and eventually put me on hold. They came back after a few minutes and said it would save me money. Though the monthly fees they quoted did not match up with what Dish has posted. I explained what the Dish website showed and they agreed with me. I ended up not ordering since I did not have confidence in the dish representative I spoke with. Has anyone else run into this scenario?

Edit to note I currently have two 722 DVR's.

I also called yesterday and was basically told the same thing. As much as I would like the new GUI & faster response, I feel they are right. I'm looking at two Hoppers and two Joeys because I know I would have tuner conflicts with a single hopper. My monthly bill would increase $9.00 a month and I would need to pay $200 for the upgrade. I don't feel in as much of a hurry to make a decision now.

Edited by clotter, 29 March 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#100 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

i paid $100 to upgrade for 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys
i think i am going to pay another $100 and get a second Hopper

Protected By... spam firewall...And...