Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey upgrades

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

This should be interesting since my current set up is the result of many years of adding services from Dish. Saying that I am switching from 2 622's just can't describe the cabling fun.

Ain't that the truth. I have two dishes, one for 110 and 119 and a second for 129 feeding a DPP44 switch under the eaves. Two outputs go through the attic to my family room feeding a 622 and 722. The other two outputs go into the garage to a DP34 switch feeding a 211K in the garage and a 211 in the bedroom. The line to the bedroom also has a diplexed cable signal on it. I guess I'll lose that diplexed signal if I go with a Hopper or Joey there.

In the family room I have the 622 feeding the TV via HDMI and the 722 feeding the same TV via component. And I have the HDMI from the 722 going to my PC setup also in the family room and component from the 622 going to the PC also.

That makes it sound fairly simple cable wise but if you look behind my TV, it would appear that the layer of cables goes back to the ice age. Yuck!

BTW, we are finally enjoying some rain here in Santa Rosa.:D

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, we both have had similar experiences. I only have one dish for all three satellites, but there is a second dish there since I used to access 154 to get CBS a long time ago.

I have two lines of output to the 622 in the family room, 1 line for the 622 in the living room and one line to the bedroom (it isn't in use right now). I also have a run from the family room 622 to my wife's office. Each of those lines was installed at a different time starting out over 15 years ago.

Now we have to figure out where to put the Hopper and the 2 Joeys. As long as I can get it set up with the TVs in the family room, living room and the wife's office, it will all work out. I'm sure that the installer and I will have an interesting conversation.

It is nice that we have been getting some rain around here. But it looks like the rain is going to kill my golf game this weekend.
Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#63 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, we both have had similar experiences. I'm sure that the installer and I will have an interesting conversation.

My last install, the addition of a 722 was easy for the installer. He opened the box, filled out the paperwork and watched as I connected everything. Will probably be a similar situation when I finally decide to do the upgrade.

I tried one time to make out a wiring diagram of how everything I have is interconnected. Was not a pretty picture when done considering it included an AV receiver, a cable box, and an OTA antenna feeding two VIPs and the TV directly.

I still believe in magic
!

#64 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

My last install, the addition of a 722 was easy for the installer. He opened the box, filled out the paperwork and watched as I connected everything. Will probably be a similar situation when I finally decide to do the upgrade.

I expected the same for mine, but it required a new dish on the roof. He did that while I installed the new Hopper.

#65 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I expected the same for mine, but it required a new dish on the roof. He did that while I installed the new Hopper.

I'm now curious. You are the second person to say that a new dish was required and wonder about the details.

Since I have an aged system with two dishes and a DPP44 it is starting to sound like they will want to install a new dish on my roof also. I would prefer to keep it the way it is in the highly improbable but possible change of heart that would allow us users to run a VIP or two alongside a Hopper/Joey system.

Am I correct in assuming that your situation was similar and the reason for the new dish?

I have a couple of purchased VIPs that I would like to be able to activate/deactivate when needed for company without having to send them back when deactivated.

I still believe in magic
!

#66 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

As long as you're seeing a full arc (110-119-129 or 61.5-72.7-77) and have a DPP switch (integrated or external), there shouldn't be a need to change your dish setup. The DPP44's power inserter should preferably be on a separate line, if that's not possible it has to be between the switch and the XiP node.

Dish has chosen not to allow older receivers on an account with a Hopper.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#67 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm now curious. You are the second person to say that a new dish was required and wonder about the details.

Since I have an aged system with two dishes and a DPP44 it is starting to sound like they will want to install a new dish on my roof also. I would prefer to keep it the way it is in the highly improbable but possible change of heart that would allow us users to run a VIP or two alongside a Hopper/Joey system.

Am I correct in assuming that your situation was similar and the reason for the new dish?

I have a couple of purchased VIPs that I would like to be able to activate/deactivate when needed for company without having to send them back when deactivated.

Except that if you have a hopper as it is right now you can not activate Any VIP series. That is what is keeping me from going to a hopper. I can't keep the VIP 612 or the VIP622 and have a hopper/joey setup or even a hopper w/no joey.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#68 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

As long as you're seeing a full arc (110-119-129 or 61.5-72.7-77) and have a DPP switch (integrated or external), there shouldn't be a need to change your dish setup. The DPP44's power inserter should preferably be on a separate line, if that's not possible it has to be between the switch and the XiP node.

All of that would be easy for me. I have the power inserter mounted in the garage along with a DP33 switch and many other things including a small UPS to keep it powered if house power is lost for a short time. Everything else is also on UPSes so everything can still run for a while.

My question about the new dish being installed is what was the reason, or reasoning from the installer on the necessity of replacing the existing dish. I wouldn't want them to refuse to install if I refused to allow them to install a new dish.

I could go to Dish Depot and buy all the hardware, Hoppers and Joeys to do the install myself and have everything in place in case, just in case, the Dish bigwigs decide that it would be OK to have a mix of Hopper/Joeys and VIPs. I don't want to go that route as I have already bought enough receivers in my time. Well maybe those that have had their dish replaced will have the answers to my questions.

I still believe in magic
!

#69 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

The installer never gave me a complete explanation, and I was trying to work while he was here, so I am not sure why he chose to replace the dish. I subscribed to Dish in 2006, and installed a 622 and a 211, serving a total of four rooms. It was a 1000 model single dish setup. There were three LNB's - a twin setup plus a third added, and he said that was the problem. He installed the latest dish model with a much different LNB configuration. Again, I am no expert on these things, and while it sounded strange to me, I did not care either way as long as it worked. And it does work very well.

The thing I cannot understand is why the picture quality improved so much.

#70 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

The hopper node needs to be connected to DPP feeds, either two DPP feeds for the solo node or three DPP feeds for the duo node. It will not work connected to a DP feed (such as a DP33 or DP Twin provides). It should work connected to a DPP44 switch but the simple design is to connect the node directly to a DPP LNBF.

#71 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

The installer never gave me a complete explanation, and I was trying to work while he was here, so I am not sure why he chose to replace the dish. I subscribed to Dish in 2006, and installed a 622 and a 211, serving a total of four rooms. It was a 1000 model single dish setup. There were three LNB's - a twin setup plus a third added, and he said that was the problem. He installed the latest dish model with a much different LNB configuration. Again, I am no expert on these things, and while it sounded strange to me, I did not care either way as long as it worked. And it does work very well.

The thing I cannot understand is why the picture quality improved so much.

If you could get a screen with switch matrix, we would know what kind of LNBFs/switch you got.

#72 OFFLINE   thaipinoy1

thaipinoy1

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

If you would like to upgrade to a Hopper please send either Mary B., Matt G., or myself a PM with your phone or account number and we will be more than happy to help!

Very interested in upgrading, PM sent!

#73 OFFLINE   veschler

veschler

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Posting to get to minimum for private messages

#74 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

If you could get a screen with switch matrix, we would know what kind of LNBFs/switch you got.

How do I get to the screen you want to see?

#75 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

How do I get to the screen you want to see?

The quickest way would be to press Menu > Yellow > Yellow.

Or you can Press Menu then select Settings > Diagnostics > Point DISH.

If you press the System information button on the front panel of the receiver you will also be able to see what orbital locations you are connected to.

#76 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

The quickest way would be to press Menu > Yellow > Yellow.

Or you can Press Menu then select Settings > Diagnostics > Point DISH.

If you press the System information button on the front panel of the receiver you will also be able to see what orbital locations you are connected to.

Two screen images are attached. Wasn't sure exactly what you are looking for, but I'm guessing it is in one of these. Any ideas on why the picture quality is so improved?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Two screen images are attached. Wasn't sure exactly what you are looking for, but I'm guessing it is in one of these. Any ideas on why the picture quality is so improved?

Only if you'll post one picture of same channel from same TV [side-by-side, 1/2 screen each] from both DVRs: 922 and 813.

#78 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Nope.

Try to press Test button on first picture.

#79 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Only if you'll post one picture of same channel from same TV [side-by-side, 1/2 screen each] from both DVRs: 922 and 813.

Traded the 922 for the 813, so a side-by-side comparison is not possible.

#80 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nope.

Try to press Test button on first picture.

The test button prompts a four stage test, which upon completion returns to the first screen uploaded previously.

spam firewall