Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Anyone know how?

I moved all my 722 files to an external hard drive, and I can see them on the hard drive which is now connected to the hopper.

I wanted to restore them on the hopper, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

On the 722 I always found it easier to work with TV shows on the local box as compared to the external drive, so I'm assuming the same is true on the hopper.

You could keep and play these from EHD. Why clogging new h2k's drive ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Anyone know how?

I moved all my 722 files to an external hard drive, and I can see them on the hard drive which is now connected to the hopper.

Any ideas?

On the 722 I always found it easier to work with TV shows on the local box as compared to the external drive, so I'm assuming the same is true on the hopper.

Press menu then move the cursor down to "Recordings Transfer"
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#183 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Tomorrow will be one week since I had my Hopper and 2 Joeys installed. Overall, everything is working as advertised. But I have encountered an issue with my EHD.

I have EHD's that were connected to my VIP 622s. We hooked the main one up to the Hopper last Friday. Everything showed up and played so we thought we were good to go. On Monday, we went to play something from the EHD and it didn't show up as an open on the DVR menu. After checking on the Joeys and Hopper and seeing the same thing, I pulled the power plug from the EHD and then plugged it back in. The Hopper detected it and it showed up on both Joeys and we were up and running again.

I checked it on Tuesday and Wednesday and it had disappeared from the menu again. Each time I unplugged the EHD power, waited and plugged it back in. Each time the Hopper detected it and everything worked. So for some reason, the Hopper loses track of it overnight, probably during the nightly update.

Is anyone else having an issue like this? Did anyone find a solution?

Oops, to be clear, the EHD was what disappeared from the menus, not the recordings.

Edited by GeeWhiz1, 29 March 2012 - 10:47 AM.
Clarification

Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#184 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Anyone know how?

Any ideas?

I've found that when I initially try to play something on my EHD (Copied from 922, now attached to Hopper), I get an error message (something about not being able to read it or similar). If I immediately try to play the same recording again, it works. almost like the drive isn't fully spun up the first time or something.

#185 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Tomorrow will be one week since I had my Hopper and 2 Joeys installed. Overall, everything is working as advertised. But I have encountered an issue with my EHD.

I have EHD's that were connected to my VIP 622s. We hooked the main one up to the Hopper last Friday. Everything showed up and played so we thought we were good to go. On Monday, we went to play something from the EHD and it didn't show up as an open on the DVR menu. After checking on the Joeys and Hopper and seeing the same thing, I pulled the power plug from the EHD and then plugged it back in. The Hopper detected it and it showed up on both Joeys and we were up and running again.

I checked it on Tuesday and Wednesday and it had disappeared from the menu again. Each time I unplugged the EHD power, waited and plugged it back in. Each time the Hopper detected it and everything worked. So for some reason, the Hopper loses track of it overnight, probably during the nightly update.

Is anyone else having an issue like this? Did anyone find a solution?

Oops, to be clear, the EHD was what disappeared from the menus, not the recordings.

Did you try to disable spin-off of the drive by manufacturer's program?
Some of them doing that after certain time of non-activity.

#186 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've found that when I initially try to play something on my EHD (Copied from 922, now attached to Hopper), I get an error message (something about not being able to read it or similar). If I immediately try to play the same recording again, it works. almost like the drive isn't fully spun up the first time or something.

I have seen the same behavior. It is listed in the s203 or s204 bugs.

#187 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Did you try to disable spin-off of the drive by manufacturer's program?
Some of them doing that after certain time of non-activity.

I'll have to see if I can find the instructions for disabling the spin-off. This is a Western Digital drive that we have used since they were first allowed on the VIP 622, so I don't have the instructions that came with it. It was never a problem with the 622.

Of course, I could always buy a new and bigger drive and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#188 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Also, it could by a controller inside of the enclosure, it could monitor HDD activity and turn off the drive. Check with a manufacturer of the box too,

#189 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

It's "spin-down" and some manufactures require that the drive get connected to a PC so that their software can set the internal disable bit inside the drive. While others, the spin-down can be disabled by jumping pins. If the drive is one of those cheap 'My Book' cases, the drive will have to be connected to the PC, the case, even if you could open it, some of those hard drives intentionally use a proprietary interface.

Blowgun

#190 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Interesting call from Dish yesterday regarding my install and subsequent service call. The Dish rep wants to come to my house to "inspect" the installation. This inspection is tentatively set for Saturday. Has anyone else had Dish call to set up an inspection?

Scott

#191 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

I have been contacted also from a inspector and also found out its just a way for D* to look for anything and everything so they can take money back from the subcontractor. Makes you think they care about you but its just a way for them to save some money..I dont plan on letting him near my house. just saying

#192 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

I take it by "D*" you actually mean DISH.

Blowgun

#193 OFFLINE   Josh125

Josh125

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

Quick question ahead of my install, how many wires will be coming off the dish itself? Is it just one like with D*?

#194 OFFLINE   wuv_dish

wuv_dish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Install yesterday. One hopper two joeys. Install went fine, with no issues. 3 hours which is half what I expected. We did have to run new faster coax to the hopper but current cables were fine for the Joeys.

New system is FAST!!! Menus are nice. It seems like they have thought of everything. Cant beleive how many connection choices you have on the back of the Joey, its even got fiber for audio. Setting up the universal remotes was amazing. No more looking up codes or scanning thru codes on the remote. Just go to the remote menu and select the tv and blu ray you have. Remote locator is AWESOME. We will use that many times im sure. I have the guide to default to MY HD channels. Kids like to change the guide around all the time so now when I hit guide it always defaults back to HD channels. Wish they would just get rid of the SD channels all together. Its just a matter of time I guess.

I have seen some on here suggest setting up timers for shows even if they are on PTA so that it saves it to the drive instead of disapearing after 8 days. Dont bother wasting a tuner because you can actually save the show to the user portion of the drive from the PTA menu.

Over all I love the new system. Fixes many complaints I had. I was about to switch to Comcast to get the whole house system until I saw this was coming out, so I waited and glad I did. It will be interesting to see how the other companies play catch up now. I have seen all the other whole house systems out there but this is BY FAR the best at the best price.

#195 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Quick question ahead of my install, how many wires will be coming off the dish itself? Is it just one like with D*?

See Install diagrams here http://www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#196 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

It depends. If you intend to get one hopper and zero to 4 joeys, then it can be done with just the one. But all 2 hopper systems require at least 3 wires (or more depending on where the node is installed). THIS diagram shows most of the possibilities. From what I've seen so far, the node is typically installed at the dish, and the taps/splitters at your main distribution point.

EDIT: Looks like PSmith and I posted at the same time.

#197 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Promptness: They had a cancellation and called me 3 hours early. I was able to meet them, so it worked out great.

Time to install: 2.5 hours - New dish, two existing cables, two two existing moved to new locations.

Notes: The Hopper has to be fully installed and updated, then each Joey is added one by one. This took the bulk of the time. 20-30 minutes for Hopper and 10-15 minutes per Joey.
I had hardwired Ethernet, otherwise it would have been a wireless dongle.
Tech said a lot of people don't know their wifi passwords. As an IT Contractor, I can vouch for that.

The tech did an excellent job of explaining how the features work. He was courteous and pleasant in every way.

I'll take a more in-depth look at the system this weekend, but I like it so far.

#198 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hopper + 3 Joeys was Two wires from my dish. My D* had four...

#199 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

The inspector guy came by today. He checked everything, took pictures of the installation, said he knew about the hard drive issue, I showed him my RC Helicopters, and he left. Took about 15 minutes, total.

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#200 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hopper + 3 Joeys was Two wires from my dish. My D* had four...

You had an older dish. Today, most are just be wire for DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...