Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

The inspector guy came by today. He checked everything, took pictures of the installation, said he knew about the hard drive issue, I showed him my RC Helicopters, and he left. Took about 15 minutes, total.

Scott

I think it's good that dish and DirecTV both appear to go out and check installations. Its the easiest way to make sure the installers aren't short cutting and screwing customers, because most customers won't know if something is wrong with the way a system is installed, unless or until something breaks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Does a Dish install (free dish mover) include running the 2 cables from the dish to the inside wiring panel? Or should I run them? I have a good spot facing SW on my chimney, nut not sure how they'd go through the wall. Do they typically run the cables directly through the chimney wall, or down the rood and through a lower exterior wall? All my cables are prewired to correct locations once at the panel.

Are their installers covered by insurance if they happen to break any roof tiles? (those rounded orange clay tiles, not meant for anyone heavier than 250#), I believe they'll need to walk on the roof.

#203 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Check if they insured by calling the installer; as to cabling - it depends, talk to him in advance when he will call you before arrival or just upfront when he will come.

#204 OFFLINE   FranklyFred

FranklyFred

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Had the hopper and Joey installed yesterday. Switched from Directv. Installer was a bit late, Took down Directv dish put new one up, Was here for about 3 hours what took the most time was the downloads to the Hopper took a long time and he called somebody once to get the download going about halfway through. He said this was the third one he had done. Was checking out the apps and the hopper kinda locked up. So he turned it off and back on to get back to live tv. Asked him some questions about PIP and a couple other things, he didn`t know the answers. He said Dish really did not give them a lot of training on all the features and he needed to put one in his own home so he could figure it out. Slingbox installed didn`t work till a powercycle this morning. Everything works great , Joey works perfect. Maybe it`s me but the audio seems much better than Directv. The pic seems slightly softer not very much but sharper than Directv. Nice system

#205 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

For those with recent installs. What software version is getting downloaded during the install? Hoping it's S206.

#206 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

My mother-in-law was installed yesterday with version s204.

#207 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

wtrjock - guess i'll wait till 206 gets rolled out. Have you talked to tech support to see if they'll push the 206 version to you? Good luck.

#208 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I asked dish support today to send me s206, but they wouldn't do it. I asked them to end me a new hopper, but they wouldn't do it. All they said was that engineering knows about the problem and I have to wait for engineering to release a new version.

#209 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

For those with recent installs. What software version is getting downloaded during the install? Hoping it's S206.

I see you spreading the "S206" on each thread ... Do you have real info about it or just speculating by numbers ? Where is S2.05 ?

#210 OFFLINE   gboybama

gboybama

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

I got all fixed up on Friday.

Installer got there around 12:45 and everything took about six hours.

I had two hoppers and three joeys put in.

Everything would have been super smooth, except the tech put a satellite 61.5 cable into one input on the node. So, one hopper downloaded perfectly and the other one only sat at the download screen for hours saying to please wait.

So, just FYI, the box currently doesn't throw a message if the bird it needs for the download aren't present. It will just sit there looking like it's working but doing nothing.

Eventually the installer, who actually was awesome, got the idea to switch some feeds into the node and everything came up great. Now the second (61.5) dish on my house isn't hooked to anything.

Love the picture, the speed, the connectivity... This system is aces as far as I'm concerned.

Replaced a 722, 211, 211 and 322 running 2 SD televisions. Extremely happy.

#211 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

I got all fixed up on Friday.

Installer got there around 12:45 and everything took about six hours.

I had two hoppers and three joeys put in.

Everything would have been super smooth, except the tech put a satellite 61.5 cable into one input on the node. So, one hopper downloaded perfectly and the other one only sat at the download screen for hours saying to please wait.

So, just FYI, the box currently doesn't throw a message if the bird it needs for the download aren't present. It will just sit there looking like it's working but doing nothing.

Eventually the installer, who actually was awesome, got the idea to switch some feeds into the node and everything came up great. Now the second (61.5) dish on my house isn't hooked to anything.

Love the picture, the speed, the connectivity... This system is aces as far as I'm concerned.

Replaced a 722, 211, 211 and 322 running 2 SD televisions. Extremely happy.

I don't get it.
Lets clarify: you got Duo Node for two H2k, both outputs from the node connected to to each H2k. The Duo Node has three inputs from DPP switch or DPP LNBF.
For EA H2k FW spooling from 61.5W tp 29.
Should works OK for both DVRs with one shared 61.5W sat...:confused:
Perhaps he didn't fulfill the DPP requirement for any Duo Node input ?

#212 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Does a Dish install (free dish mover) include running the 2 cables from the dish to the inside wiring panel? Or should I run them? I have a good spot facing SW on my chimney, nut not sure how they'd go through the wall.

Around here they will not mount to a chimney. YMMV.
The installer will run all necessary cabling.

#213 OFFLINE   gboybama

gboybama

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I don't get it.
Lets clarify: you got Duo Node for two H2k, both outputs from the node connected to to each H2k. The Duo Node has three inputs from DPP switch or DPP LNBF.
For EA H2k FW spooling from 61.5W tp 29.
Should works OK for both DVRs with one shared 61.5W sat...:confused:
Perhaps he didn't fulfill the DPP requirement for any Duo Node input ?

Lacking in technical knowledge, here's what I saw. The duo nodes require a 3 satellite line input configuration. Two of the lines he plugged in were from the right dish and one was from the wrong dish.

Apparently, that was good enough to operate one hopper, but not both.

Running a switch check, hopper #2 failed when looking for all the satellites until those outside cables were switched.

Once all 3 lines came from the right dish, we had no problem completing the setup.

#214 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

I replaced two 622s with a Hopper and one Joey. So far so good. Before I got home from work, the installer was checking out my wire room. Its like looking into the sun sometimes. My wife pulled him away from there and had him get re-oriented. Then I got home and we worked though the best setup. It was a bit tricky because of my separate Dish for 129. No worries though - under 3 hours total, with some minor wire work.

I am a little bummed about loosing a couple features. For example, no PIP or Caller ID on the Joey. Besides that, it looks like everything else is better.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#215 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

......I am a little bummed about loosing a couple features. For example, no PIP or Caller ID on the Joey. Besides that, it looks like everything else is better.

While I wholeheartedly agree about the PIP, caller ID is working for me on Joey

#216 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Press menu then move the cursor down to "Recordings Transfer"

Thanks! My wife and I swear we looked everywhere - but there it was. And it works too!

FYI for other commenters - the external hard drive does not save position, so if you don't watch an entire show you have to fast forward to find your location. Not too annoying, but for shows that we pause and come back to later it's enough trouble that we want to restore. Primarily because these were shows from the old 722 - not something we do on a regular basis.

#217 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

But there is no phone jack, right?

While I wholeheartedly agree about the PIP, caller ID is working for me on Joey

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

#218 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

But there is no phone jack, right?

Nope, but yet it works for me. I'm not a techno so don't know how but am assuming it is coming from the Hopper via the network.

#219 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

You are right. Pretty neat. So far this is a great setup!

Nope, but yet it works for me. I'm not a techno so don't know how but am assuming it is coming from the Hopper via the network.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

#220 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I had all sorts of fun with my 2 Hopper / 1 Joey installation today. The installer arrived at 7:55am and just finished some 6 hours and 40 minutes later.

It stated off badly as his work order was written up as a 1 Hopper / 2 Joey installation. When he called into Dish to have the order corrected, they told him that it was not possible to order 2 Hoppers & 1 Joey. Go figure. :nono2: He handed his phone to me and I spent the next 25 minutes attempting to persuade the CSR that I was promised and had ordered 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. The CSR finally pulled up a copy of my chat transcript and was able to confirm that I did indeed order 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. It took them another 15 minutes to figure out how to correct this on their new system. They ended up having to change the order to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, with the installer un-installing the second Joey after its activation. It was pretty frustrating to have to convince them that I had ordered a 2H/1J system. I had PM'd and emailed 2 DIRT team members as well as chatted online with a Dish CSR before placing the order. None mentioned that there was any problem with ordering 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. The installer said that these issues come up a lot at the time of installation. There is really no excuse for this. The sales order should have exactly matched what I had ordered. I'm just glad that I placed the order via online chat, so that there was a "paper trail".

Next issue was that the installer did not have a Duo Node in his truck. He went back to his office and picked up a Duo Node. On with the install...

The installer decided it would be easiest to remove my current dishes and replace them with a single DishHD 3 LNB dish. Installation of the dishes and Duo Node went pretty smoothly.

Now onto the Hopper installations. He connected the first Hopper and it started its usual Check Switch and software download routine. He then proceeded with installation of the second Hopper while the first was downloading. The second Hopper downloaded its software and was ready for activation in about 20 minutes. The first however was still on the download screen after 45 minutes. He restarted it, reset factory defaults and tried again. Same result, it was still hung after another 25 minutes. He decided that there may be an issue with the receiver and swapped it with another Hopper that he had in his truck. Same result with the next receiver. He then decided to recheck all of the cabling and detected what appeared to him to be a bad LNB. He replaced the LNB, but the problem remained. On a whim, he disconnected the ground wire from the Duo Node. After doing so, the cabling and LNBs checked out fine. With the ground wire disconnected, the 2nd Hopper downloaded its software in about 17 minutes.

Before installing the Joey(s), the Hoppers had to be added to the account and activated. Apparently Dish is having some difficulty migrating to a new activation system and the new system was not working consistently when he called in. It took about 90 minutes before Dish had the receivers activated.

The installer isn't really to be blamed for any of these issues. Most of it (except for possibly the ground wire weirdness) was out of his control. Dish probably could have picked a better time to deploy a new activation system than during the Hopper/Joey roll-out.

After a lot of undue stress and a lot of waiting for software downloads and receiver activations, all appears to be working. Now I am off to a very late start to my work day. I'll have to wait until tonight to give the system a good going over.
Scott Spillers

---------------------
Dish Network Customer Since 1997
Receiver History: 5000 & 3000 > 501PVR & 5000 > ViP622 > ViP722k > 2 Hooper 2Ks & 1 Joey 1.0
Dish History: 500(110,119) > 500(110,119) & 300(148) > 1000(110,119,129) > 1000(110,119) & 500(129) > 1000(110,119) & 24"(129) > DishHD(110,119,129)

spam firewall