Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Nope, but yet it works for me. I'm not a techno so don't know how but am assuming it is coming from the Hopper via the network.

Yep. I hadn't noticed that (the landline phone doesn't ring that often) but the Joeys display Caller ID.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Scott Spillers,

Now, when you accidentally found ground issue with your home power lines (it's pretty clear for me: two h2k in different room on different phases and common connection - LNBF), I wouldn't hesitate to call for professional electrician to investigate the problem and fix it. Before something tragic not happened !

Perhaps the grounding issue is the reason for many h/j installs when FW download taking more then 20 min !
Time to correct installation procedure written by dish.

#223 OFFLINE   mrjim

mrjim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationKenosha, WI

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have one Hopper with two Joeys. I am updating to two Hoppers with three Joeys. With only one Hopper you are limited to three channels- prime time will use one if you are recording two other programs you can not watch anything else. That is why you need the second hopper. With let everyone know how that works Wednesday night.

Directv customer June 2014-on Dish customer since April 2012-June 2014, DirecTV customer before that - 1/1/1998 to Dec 2011, before merger with DirecTV-USSB 1994-1998. Equipment one Genie, 3 mini Genies, One HD DVR.

#224 OFFLINE   TubaSaxT

TubaSaxT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I went from a 722k and 211 to 1H/1J. I ordered a modulator to feed the Hopper to the third TV (SD), but it's not here yet.

The install took about 2.5 hours. It could've been less, but the installer insisted on replacing my 1000+ with a 1000.2. I don't need to see 118 anymore, and he believed the 1000.2 to be more reliable, so I didn't object. The Hopper took 45 minutes or so to do all of it's updating. And the poor tech was on hold for 10+ minutes trying to activate the receivers. He did a great job though: he knew the system, wiring was clean, and had all of the right equipment with him.

Most everything I need works great!

#225 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Tech is here...went into my attic and modified some things and he, so far, did not run any additional lines.
Software download took less than 20 minutes on the hopper...receiver memory was just set up and it now says the hopper is starting up...
I'll keep you guys posted...

#226 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Spoke too soon, Hopper did a lot of things and rebooted but is now trying to download software again...

#227 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Spoke too soon, Hopper did a lot of things and rebooted but is now trying to download software again...

What version it did first ? Perhaps your h2k is in short list of targets for S2.07 ?

#228 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

How do I check that?
Other than the Internet connectivity I started a thread about, everything was smooth. No new lines ran, only changes in the attic which looped the Hopper and Joey as it showed linked.
Took maybe 2 hours thanks to the remote not getting the programming for my RCA TV.
Picture is a lot better! Wow!

#229 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

The tech says he usually uses a 3 digit code for RCAs but the Joey is asking for a 4 digit code...

#230 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Tech doesn't understands that these remotes are completely different. It is impossible to enter any codes on the remote. Just go to the remote manager app on the hopper/Joey and pick your tv model. Disable limited mode and enable IR while you're at it

#231 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

He did all that and the code it gives us does not work.

#232 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

How do I check that?

Press Menu twice. Or SysInfo button if you have one.

#233 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

S204 on Hopper and S256 on Joey

#234 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys installed today. Installation was excellent. Tech uninstalled my cluge of standalone receivers, external modulators and associated octopus of cabling. Man I could not wait to get rid of that mess! He tested all existing cabling and found a single bad connection at the Dish.

Installed both Hoppers first and powered on each one at at time, they downloaded software S2.04 and were up and running in 20min. Installed Joey's one at a time about 10min per location total including programming of remotes, test and cleanup.

The only hitch in the entire process was the existing bad connection at the Dish. This has been the smoothest upgrade process yet and this was his first dual Hopper install and his 5th Hopper/Joey install/upgrade to date.

Really loving this system so far. Setup PTAT on both Hoppers and it worked great this evening as we watched a few of the recorded prime time programs. This feature was one of the main reasons for upgrading and it is excellent!

Awesome to have HD at each of the five displays where we have Hoppers/Joey's located and plan to add a wireless HD transmitter for the remaining two displays along with relaying the 2nd Hopper back to the primary Hopper's location so that we can view all DVR'd material on our primary display. Hoping that the Hopper sharing functionality is enabled soon so this process will be 2-way and greatly simplified.

My wife will be most pleased that the DVR in the master bedroom is now gone and as the nightly update with associated high speed fan noise is gone forever. Really bothered her as she is a light sleeper and our house is dead silent at night. That fan woke me up a few times even with the doors closed on the armoire.

Best Regards,
JD

#235 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

He did all that and the code it gives us does not work.

Should be several RCA codes to try. Failing that, you can learn the commands. If you tell me the tv model, I can probably find the correct code for you.

#236 OFFLINE   Josh125

Josh125

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Installer is here now and I already have a question. The dish is being mounted on the back side of the house with the cable run going down the side to an entry point (house is sealed with foam, no ridge vents, no entry points). That is fine but he threw me off by saying the dish has to be mounted by the ground, which in my case is a cold water hose spicket. Rather than run the ground down the house with the cable, he wants to take it straight down to hit the spicket. Does that sound right?

edit: some quick searching reveals this is correct, just another wire I've got to some how conceal I guess.

#237 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

That sounds weird to me... Dish by a faucet? I'm hoping to have my dish installed at or near an eave (high) with wires through into the attic. I'm assuming a ground will go into the attic to a ground at the system panel. Don't want a wire running down my stucco.

#238 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Here is a link to information dealing with grounding and the satellite dish. Thanks.

http://www.mikeholt....es~20020303.htm

That sounds weird to me... Dish by a faucet? I'm hoping to have my dish installed at or near an eave (high) with wires through into the attic. I'm assuming a ground will go into the attic to a ground at the system panel. Don't want a wire running down my stucco.

#239 OFFLINE   Josh125

Josh125

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, it was the only bummer of the day so far and he is nearly done. As I mentioned, my house is 100% sealed with foam so there is no access to the attic from outside. There are no ridge vents, etc. I already have a plan to conceal the wire with masonry joint repair compound. It won't be perfect but not obvious.

He has done a great job with the install, nice and clean work and didn't mind one bit to answer my multitude of questions. Once the Hopper/Joeys load up it will be done. As for time, we are approaching hour six. I imagine another hour or so.

#240 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,410 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

In some areas it is illegal to use your water system plumbing as an electrical ground. And if the cold water pipe coming to your house from the Earth is plastic, it can't serve as a ground.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...