Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

No attic vents in TX? Must get near 10,000 degrees in there during the summer!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Perhaps he have installed separate A/C for attic's cooling ?

#243 OFFLINE   Josh125

Josh125

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Actually, the attic stays within 10 degrees of the inside of the house or that is what it's rated at. I've never taken a thermometer up there but I can say it stays very cool.

As for the install, it is done and successful. It took just over 6 hours, but everything is squared away now. The installer was very professional and worked cleanly. The hopper and joeys are up and running with no issues. I was a bit concerned about PQ coming from Comcast where it was actually stellar. The PQ is nearly the same, perhaps ever so slightly softer but very acceptable. No complaints here :) The only thing left to do is set up the timers and learn where the heck everything is at in the guide :lol:

#244 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Ordered Hopper Thursday, stressing that, although I have two 622s, I had a single TV and wished to order just one Hopper and no Joeys. I thought the CSR had it right (limited English).

Tech showed up Friday with Hopper and Joey. Apparently order CSR went ahead and assumed that since I was replacing two 622s, which I had to get 4 tuners, that I had multiple TVs. Called to get order changed and very nice CSR (Ellen) jumped through some hoops and had everything straighted out quickly.

Simple install; cables already in place; only had to add single node outside near the dish. Start Up Wizard did it's thing, except the part where it said it was downloading stuff, it finished very fast. After getting it running, there was no EPG. After resets and power resets didn't fix it (although he never waited more the a few seconds for the EPG to load), he replaced the Hopper, the node, the LNBF and checked all the cables. After all that we finally stared it for a few minutes; the Hopper shut itself off; downloaded S207 and the EPG and everything worked just fine. Tech said it was the first time he'd seen that. Apparently the rollout of S207 kept the EPG from loading until the new software was loaded (just a wild guess), so all that was really needed after the Start Up Wizard was to turn the Hopper off and wait.

The poor tech had to spend 3 hours, when it could have been one hour. He was very nice and courteous and got everything setup and ready to play with.

Bottom line, I'm very happy with PTAT, UHF remote, 3 tuners; everything I need.

#245 OFFLINE   GoatLocker

GoatLocker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Install is done.
Quick, clean, and great Service.
Little over two hours.
That was replacing the dish.
Pulling the 322 and 625.
Putting Hopper and 3 Joey's in.
He said this was about install #20 or so for him for Hoppers / Joey's.
And it really showed.
Time lag was really just the wait for downloads.
Ended up putting the Hopper in my office.
It is right beside my cable modem.
So, internet is also all hooked up and set.

Set some timers already, and playing with things.
Real happy with the PQ.
Cliff

Sharp Aquos LC-52LE920UN W/Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Magnavox 37MF301B
Vizio V0320E
Vizio VX20L

#246 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I take it there is no advantage in putting the Hopper at the "best" TV location. I plan to put the Hopper in an office also, next to my router. Did you just plug ethernet into the Hopper, or are you using a HIC? (and does it matter).

Install is done.
Quick, clean, and great Service.
Little over two hours.
That was replacing the dish.
Pulling the 322 and 625.
Putting Hopper and 3 Joey's in.
He said this was about install #20 or so for him for Hoppers / Joey's.
And it really showed.
Time lag was really just the wait for downloads.
Ended up putting the Hopper in my office.
It is right beside my cable modem.
So, internet is also all hooked up and set.

Set some timers already, and playing with things.
Real happy with the PQ.

#247 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Doesn't matter if you using Ethernet jack on h2k or HIC.

#248 OFFLINE   GoatLocker

GoatLocker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Just plugged in Ethernet.
If I would have put Hopper in the family room downstairs, would have needed the HIC.

As long as everything works, and it appears to so far, I'm happy.
Cliff

Sharp Aquos LC-52LE920UN W/Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Magnavox 37MF301B
Vizio V0320E
Vizio VX20L

#249 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

The advantage to putting the Hopper near the router is easier integration of the HIC... The advantage to putting the Hopper on your best HDTV is you get the use of PiP on the HDTV that connects to the Hopper. If you don't care about PiP, then it doesn't matter.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#250 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,511 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Doesn't matter if you using Ethernet jack on h2k or HIC.

Connecting Ethernet to the HIC delivers Internet and home networking (including "Home Media") to all Hoppers and Joeys on the system. Connecting Ethernet to a Hopper delivers Internet and "Home Media" only to that Hopper. If one wants "Home Media" on Joeys the simple way to go is HIC.

#251 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Sounds as gimmick, the server [h2k] and MoCA should be capable to deliver from Internet to Js.

#252 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,511 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Sounds as gimmick, the server [h2k] and MoCA should be capable to deliver from Internet to Js.

It isn't. Hoppers and Joeys DO NOT ROUTE between their Ethernet ports and the MoCA network. HICs do.

I would not mind if DISH added the capability to route to Hoppers/Joeys, but at the moment it only affects "Home Media". As long as the Hopper is connected one can view Internet downloaded content via the Hopper.

#253 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

There's no reason NOT to route from MoCA to Ethernet and back for the limited network-based applications on the Joeys. A HIC should be included by default as part of the install.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#254 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

I had 1 Hopper / 3 joeys for 2 weeks - but my 4 person family could not surive with just 3 tuners.

I replaced a joey with a 2nd hopper. Order was easy to place. (I have America's Everything service.)

Initial Hopper install left old dish up with a cable connected when the DishHD was installed. Cable from old dish had to be moved to DishHD to support 2nd hopper. It was raining and my roof was steep - so Installer left and rescheduled for a dry day.

2 guys came back and quickly moved the cable and removed the old dish. Added duo switch, and the hopper was set up in about 30 minutes.

Total install about 1.5 hours. Yeah!

#255 OFFLINE   zane77

zane77

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Don't mean to try and hijack someone elses thread but could someone tell me what a HIC is. Thanks

#256 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Don't mean to try and hijack someone elses thread but could someone tell me what a HIC is. Thanks

Hopper Internet Connector

#257 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Connecting Ethernet to the HIC delivers Internet and home networking (including "Home Media") to all Hoppers and Joeys on the system. Connecting Ethernet to a Hopper delivers Internet and "Home Media" only to that Hopper. If one wants "Home Media" on Joeys the simple way to go is HIC.

I'm re-view installation material and see you are mistaken.

Ethernet connection to H2k is a first priority for providing Internet material's access for H2k and Js. Next in their hierarchy is the HIC.

#258 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

I agree with P Smith, as does this PDF from dish: http://training.cust...ySystem_Wk4.pdf

#259 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,511 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

BOTH of you are ignoring the clear statement from DISH that Home Media is not available on any receiver that does not have either: 1) a direct connection to the home network or 2) a HIC properly installed.

Connecting Ethernet to a H2K is a good idea ... but it WILL NOT provide access to Home Media to other receivers on the network. Using a HIC will.

http://www.dbstalk.c...379#post2984379

#260 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Perhaps this is a bug and will be fixed soon.

Other way could be run Ethernet cables to each box - H and Js and therefor use much more robust and efficient switches and dedicated connections..

spam firewall