Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

That's what I'm saying: it's gotta be a bug. In a default configuration with a minimum of hardware, why would you require the HIC in order for the Joeys to see Home Media? Bridge the networks.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

The problem here is... how high of a priority will it be for Dish to fix this particular bug?

Since there are workarounds (connect ethernet to all components OR install the HIC), I wouldn't be surprised if this particular bug lingers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#263 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

You always siding with the company ... will it a bug or a feature or fee. They should hire you and pay to be their PR agent here. :D

#264 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of "design choice" than bug. A bug would be greeted with a "we're working on that" statement ... or perhaps silence. Announcing "here is how the system works" and specifying "To get DLNA to a Joey - Need to direct connect the Joey OR use a HIC" does not show intent to change the behavior.

Personally I hope they do, and I stated so when the "no routing" behavior was revealed weeks ago. At minimum Hoppers should route and at best Joeys should route as well with ONE Hopper or Joey becoming the bridge for all Hoppers/Joeys on the network.

#265 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of "design choice" than bug. A bug would be greeted with a "we're working on that" statement ... or perhaps silence. Announcing "here is how the system works" and specifying "To get DLNA to a Joey - Need to direct connect the Joey OR use a HIC" does not show intent to change the behavior.

Personally I hope they do, and I stated so when the "no routing" behavior was revealed weeks ago. At minimum Hoppers should route and at best Joeys should route as well with ONE Hopper or Joey becoming the bridge for all Hoppers/Joeys on the network.

Well, officially it doesn't looks as you telling: https://support.dish...8&t=39&start=10

Re: DLNA server

Postby Ray C. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:23 am
The latest software update should address the DLNA this issue (S2.07 for the Hopper). The Joey should be S2.59. Please let me know what software version you have. Thanks.

hazzard4192 wrote:my hopper is detecting my servers but my joeys tell me i need a hic or direct ethernet connection to this device in order to even access home media section. i have a direct ethernet connection to the hopper. why do i need a hic or a connection to the joeys to get it to work. i thought as long as the hopper is connected the whole system is connected?

Ray C.
Social Media Team
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM MDT

#266 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

You always siding with the company ... will it a bug or a feature or fee. They should hire you and pay to be their PR agent here. :D

You do know that I don't work for either Dish or Echostar, right?

What about my post was "siding with" Dish? I was stating some reality... There are two workarounds to get DLNA working on your Joeys. Dish themselves released these as suggestions:

1. Connect each Joey to internet directly

OR

2. Include the HIC in the installation.

Given those 2 feasible workarounds, regardless of the intent of the feature... I would not be surprised if Dish puts this on low-priority to fix. Things like the EHD movie playback problems in another thread would seem to be more of a problem than this DLNA one... since we don't have a workaround for those EHD issues.

IF I were a Dish customer (oh wait, I am!) I would rather Dish be focused on the problems that have no workarounds.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#267 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

If I would do prioritizing, I would pickup on different criteria - how it's convenient or not for CUSTOMERS. Duh !

#268 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

If I would do prioritizing, I would pickup on different criteria - how it's convenient or not for CUSTOMERS. Duh !

While DLNA may have some importance on this site I doubt that most customers know what it is.

We're special. Our members want the second Hopper and many are willing to pay nearly $200 for it just to get a separate tuner. And less are willing to set up DLNA servers for their home content.

I want to see everything work and work well. But I accept that there are more important aspects of the receiver that need to work and work well first. Before DLNA.

#269 OFFLINE   PDSchweitzer

PDSchweitzer

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

My install went well replacing a 722 and 222K until the tech (actual Dish employee) went to call in to activate. Took him 90 minutes and being transferred 4 times.

Then the updates for the 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys took a very long time and the tech said they must be done one-by-one and not all at the same time.

Entire install/upgrade took over 3 hours. Should have been 30 minutes.

#270 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

My install went well replacing a 722 and 222K until the tech (actual Dish employee) went to call in to activate. Took him 90 minutes and being transferred 4 times.

Then the updates for the 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys took a very long time and the tech said they must be done one-by-one and not all at the same time.

Entire install/upgrade took over 3 hours. Should have been 30 minutes.

You should watch how it installing by rules here, then calculate the time.:rolleyes:

#271 OFFLINE   alexpwilliams

alexpwilliams

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm a new customer of DISH Network as of Sunday and I'm brand new on this forum, it seems like a great place to get help, especially since I came from Cable and am completely new to the satellite world.

I just got a 1 Hopper and 2 Joey system set up, but I'm thinking that 3 tuners may not be enough for our family, so I'd like to have a 2 Hopper 1 Joey system. By reading through these forums (this thread and a couple others), I've gotten a bunch of conflicting information, so I'd like to clear up my confusion with updated info.

1) DISH is allowing customers to have 2 Hoppers, correct? Somewhere I read that DISH now had a 1 Hopper per-home policy...

2) As I understand it, Hoppers currently cannot communicate with each other. Will this be solved later by a software update, and if so, is there any indication from DISH as to when that will happen?

3) Is there an upgrade fee to switch out a Joey for another Hopper?

I know I had some other questions but it's late at night and I can't remember them. I'll ask when I do - thank you all in advance for your help. :)

#272 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm a new customer of DISH Network as of Sunday and I'm brand new on this forum, it seems like a great place to get help, especially since I came from Cable and am completely new to the satellite world.

I just got a 1 Hopper and 2 Joey system set up, but I'm thinking that 3 tuners may not be enough for our family, so I'd like to have a 2 Hopper 1 Joey system. By reading through these forums (this thread and a couple others), I've gotten a bunch of conflicting information, so I'd like to clear up my confusion with updated info.

1) DISH is allowing customers to have 2 Hoppers, correct? Somewhere I read that DISH now had a 1 Hopper per-home policy...

2) As I understand it, Hoppers currently cannot communicate with each other. Will this be solved later by a software update, and if so, is there any indication from DISH as to when that will happen?

3) Is there an upgrade fee to switch out a Joey for another Hopper?

I know I had some other questions but it's late at night and I can't remember them. I'll ask when I do - thank you all in advance for your help. :)

1) I have 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey
2)Yes theres a software update coming later that will let Hoppers communicate with each other
3)yes theres an upgrade fee(as far as i know) to switch out a Joey for another Hopper (i am thinking it will be $199)

Edited by domingos35, 18 April 2012 - 04:13 AM.

#273 OFFLINE   kimball111

kimball111

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Short review of Hopper

I have had the Hopper and two Joeys for about a month and here are my observations, primarily with the differences between the Hopper and my prior DVR, the VIP622.

First the annoyances:
1. Free disk space: It only occasionally shows the amount of disk space you have left so you don’t know when you are getting near full (although there is little danger in that yet with its huge storage.) I have seen this number pop up, but it appears to be random for a few seconds at a time. This is also true for the attached, external USB drive.
2. Setup: Hopper has fewer ports on the back. I need to connect older equipment without HDMI ports. I want to connect my DVD recorder, home entertainment receiver, and Slingbox, but the Hopper only has two sets of outgoing ports. So I had to connect one to my Slingbox and then from the slingbox to the DVD recorder which thus far seems to hiccup periodically with this arrangement. (Note to the old Slinbox owners, when resetting up your Slingbox, choose the 922 remote which seems to work fine.)
3. Feature or Bug: I record a lot of programs on my DVR and it takes awhile to watch them. It was easy to move these recordings from the VIP622 to my external USB drive and back again to the Hopper. But unlike the VIP622, the Hopper will not let me watch recordings from channels I no longer subscribe to – big unpleasant surprise for all the history recordings I made to show the kids when they reach that topic in school.
4. External USB drive: The drive easily made the switch from VIP622 to Hopper. I just plugged it in and did not even need to call support to activate it. But most of the programs won’t play until you try them twice. The first time you get an error message. Then retry it and it works fine. This also happens for some shows recorded after I got the Hopper. It seems random, but may be related to something like shows get an error after there has been a software push since the recording.
5. Channel Guide: The guide is nice in that it combines certain channels like the Sirius music and VOD channels. But the descriptions of the movies that display above the guide are sparse, rarely showing the actors which is one of the main ways I choose movies to watch. Although with a few more clicks you can bring up additional info, this is a major annoyance. Note that the Guide was too big to fit on two of my TVs, so don’t forgot to go into setup and adjust the size of the Guide to fit perfectly on
6. your TV.
7. User Interface: The user interface looks nice, but in reality is much less useful than the VIP622. Instead of nice lists of options and recordings that can be easily scanned, now the interface is all icons that is much more difficult to scan, then maneuver the pointer to, then select. Issue one is that there is no number sequence shortcut to get to, for example, on the VIP622, pressing 6,2,1 would bring up my external drive recordings. Now I must maneuver thru a series of menus with the pointer. Second issue is those big colorful icons for each recording. In theory, they are colorful and either show an image from the show or channel is was recorded on. The name of the show recorded is in fine print at the bottom of the image. It used to be easy to scan a list of recordings with no extraneous distractions from the show name. Now your eyes have to squint to find the recording name and go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth row by row,, row by row, row by row to find your recording. Another instance of cool flash over useful substance. (Please lord don’t let Windows 8 developers fall for this same abuse.)
OK by now you probably think I regret my upgrade to the Hopper and Joey. Not so.
1. Sharing DVR: It’s really nice to have all three TVs connected to the same DVR, even if we don’t use the pause in one room and resume in another feature very often. Now all three TVs can record, share, and watch any of the three available TV streams on the Hopper instead of two on the 622.
2. Remotes: The “Find Remote” button on the Joeys and Hopper is very nice as the kids leave the remote anywhere. The remotes themselves can control more of my equipment and are easy to setup without having to try dozens of codes with each device.
3. External USB drive: This is much more responsive. Previously, you would have to wait a full minute or so for the drive to respond after making any selection; now it responds immediately.
4. Apps: The Hopper has a dozen or so apps and a couple are potentially useful. I’m trying to the the kids to check the WEATHER app so they will know how to dress for tomorrow. The “Home Media” app will connect to certain media devices on your network and let you access your music, photos, and videos. They appear to have made a lot of progress in getting this to work over the past few weeks. I can now access my Synoology network disk and one of my Windows 7 PCs. I can play my music from the Hopper, but not from my Joey. Either can access my stored photos.
5. Organizing recordings: Its nice to be able to organize and sort your recordings on both the Hopper and external drive. You can sort your Hopper recordings by selecting: Folders by Title, Genre, My Folders, or None. Then further by: A-Z, DVR Date, and Rating. You can’t sort your external drive by Genre nor My folders. Genre works fairly well. I think “My Folders” has great potential if only I could remember how I stumbled upon that feature.
6. Primetime Anytime – Some of the advertising says you can record 6 shows at once. In reality, you have 3 TV streams and you can choose to devote on of these to auto record every prime time show on the four network channels for eight days. I don’t use this because I don’t want to give up one of my 3 TV streams and would rather just record the shows I do watch instead of all the mostly junk. I rarely watch any series until I have recorded a full season.
7. “More Info”: Selecting any show from the TV Guide or recording from DVR or external drive will provide an option to get “More Info”. This pops up a screen that provides much more info about the show than ever before including % watched, length, episode #, actors, synopsis, date recorded and aired, and more. This is really useful.
So like most anything, the new Hopper/Joeys have both annoyances and great innovations. But it’s not long before you wonder how you got along without it all this time.

#274 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Excellent, thorough review Kimball! Except for #6?
I just got my Hopper in the mail, got it installed real easy myself. I'm a DNS installer of 2 years, been 100% OTA for about 5 years. Thought I'd recommend an alternative to those who (like me) do not qualify for a DHA 24 contract and therefore have to purchase the Hopper if they want it.
Dish Network's price for a Hopper is $449, you can purchase one here (Solid Signal) for $350: http://www.solidsign... Receivers&sku=
Do not attempt this if you don't know what you're doing. Call the phone number on the box to get the account set up. Going this route, you still need to pay the $200 activation fee and provide the other equipment (dish/LNBF/solo node/cable) as well as install it all properly. All said and done, I have a Hopper without a contract, I own all equipment, for a total of $550 startup cost. IOW, it can be done but if you can pass a credit check by all means do so lol.
BTW, I love the hell out of this thing:)

#275 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Excellent, thorough review Kimball! Except for #6?
I just got my Hopper in the mail, got it installed real easy myself. I'm a DNS installer of 2 years, been 100% OTA for about 5 years. Thought I'd recommend an alternative to those who (like me) do not qualify for a DHA 24 contract and therefore have to purchase the Hopper if they want it.
Dish Network's price for a Hopper is $449, you can purchase one here (Solid Signal) for $350: http://www.solidsign... Receivers&sku=
Do not attempt this if you don't know what you're doing. Call the phone number on the box to get the account set up. Going this route, you still need to pay the $200 activation fee and provide the other equipment (dish/LNBF/solo node/cable) as well as install it all properly. All said and done, I have a Hopper without a contract, I own all equipment, for a total of $550 startup cost. IOW, it can be done but if you can pass a credit check by all means do so lol.
BTW, I love the hell out of this thing:)

What's the bloody hell the money for ?

#276 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

If you don't have credit or have bad credit, you do not get to lease equipment, especially things like a Hopper. It must be purchased. On the other side of the coin, if you aren't up to your eyeballs in debt, you can afford to purchase such things.

#277 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

If you don't have credit or have bad credit, you do not get to lease equipment, especially things like a Hopper. It must be purchased. On the other side of the coin, if you aren't up to your eyeballs in debt, you can afford to purchase such things.

I understand where poor or no credit could lead to not being able to lease receivers. But a $200 activation fee? Does that include an install of the owned equipment or is it more along the lines of a non-refundable security deposit against the last month of service or a "because we can" fee?

#278 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Does that include an install of the owned equipment or is it more along the lines of a non-refundable security deposit against the last month of service or a "because we can" fee?

I did the install myself, leaning more toward the "because we can" scenario.

#279 OFFLINE   Jubjub

Jubjub

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

I had a Dish tech come out to replace an old SD system with an HD Hopper and 2 Joeys.
He spent 6.5 trying to get it to work. He ended up replacing the Hopper, both joeys ( 3 times ), wiring, the hick, the splitter and still could only get the Hopper and one Joey to work. 4 hours in, another guy came with more hoppers and joeys. Eventually, it looked like it worked, but a hour later one Joey stopped worked and couldn't connect to the Hopper.

Next day, a Dish contractor tech came out. Spent 3 hours, replaced things again, still no luck.

A couple of days later a Dish tech came out. Replaced cable end points, replaced cables and finally said that the issue looks to be with the cable coming up from the basement to the room. So I took a tv down to the basement and we connected directly to the splitter. Same issue. Joey is stuck on Discovering....

Finally got fed up and said not to worry about it and that we have it working in the important rooms. So now, we are down to one Hopper and one Joey.

Better than nothing. Neither the techs nor the people on the phone that they called had any idea.

This is fairly new tech and I'm sure they'll get the kinks out in the months to come.

#280 OFFLINE   gef2509

gef2509

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Dish folks installed (1) Hopper & (2) Joey's about a week ago. Took about four hours to get the system up and running (new outside hardware & software waiting game). The installer kept busy and seemed knowledgeable, however, he had no idea PIP was available on the Hopper.

The router/wall plug SlingLink Turbo W1 seemed to be a joke. The installer couldn't seem to get some concealed wall plugs to work with the Hopper/Joey, ended up in the middle of a wall run to a Joey which looked like s**t.

Also, I have an LCD, LED, & Sammy HL-S6187W 1080P DLP set. The LCD & LED sets look fantastiic set on "Dish's format TV 1080I setting", however the
HL-S6187W set and the Joey do not like each other at all on 1080I. Extreme pixelation with the guide & to a lesser extent when a channel is locked in. The 720P menu setting works with much less pixlelation problems & looks good.

I's there a known problem with DLP sets and Joey's? We tried a different HDMI slot, a 2nd Joey, & different HDMI cable, no joy. The installer left and said give it a month after coming to grips that it was not my 6187W TV inputs causing
the problem.

To end, the Joey paperwork & box show up to 1080P, however, the "format TV" menu only shows up to 1080I. Just an observation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...