Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

my DLP and my Hoppers Picture is awesome

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   AZDude

AZDude

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Installer showed up about 12:30 to install a 1 hopper/ 3 joey system. Used all existing wiring and seemed to know what he was talking about even tho it was only his third hopper install. Most of the install time was spent waiting for software to download. Tech only had to make one call to ask if he could install the second Joey as soon as the first Joey paired. He chose to wait it out. Tech left with everything working at about 3:00PM. Overall a very good experience.

By the Way.....All of my TV's look awesome.

#283 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Gef, you have wiring issues. What you describe is not normal and is not a problem with your tv. Need to get a tech back out there, hopefully a more knowledgable one.

#284 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

To end, the Joey paperwork & box show up to 1080P, however, the "format TV" menu only shows up to 1080I. Just an observation.

All of DISH's live channels are in 1080i or 720p ... for the content that DISH provides in 1080p (a few Video on Demand movies each month) the receiver will switch to 1080p output and test to see if your set will accept it. The same for 3D televisions. Choose 3D content and the receiver tests then falls back to 2D if 3D is not detected.

#285 OFFLINE   jgcecg

jgcecg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am still getting used to the Hopper. In some ways I regret moving from Direct TV DVR. Too soon to tell.

I had my Hopper and 1 Joey installed on April 26 in the San Jose CA area. I took about 2 hours to check my existing DirectTV wiring, which they used unchanged, and remove the direct TV dish and install the new dish on my roof. I have no problems at all. Everything works fine.

I am still getting used to the Hopper software and the folders. The one thing I miss is the Direct TV ratings using the Rotten Tomatoes system as well as there existing star ratings.

If I went into a store and saw the hopper interface I am not sure that I would have changed from Direct tv, since it is so different.

Also if you call direct tv cancellation line, NOT the main line, they will offer you their new 1TB 34? DVR for free as well as reduced monthly price, if you are cancelling

Does anyone have a good way to organize the Hopper folders? If you put a show in a folder can you delete it from the default folder?

I am also not sure how useful the prime time anytime feature is for me. I am assuming that prime time anytime shows are stored on the Dish Partition and not the users one?

Any suggestions about using folders?

#286 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

I've found folders by title to make the most sense.

DirectTV's "1TB" 34 offers 200 hours of HD user storage. Dish's Hopper 2TB drive, in addition to PTAT, offers 250 hours of user storage (with 500GB), increasing to 500 hours user storage (with 1TB) with sofware version S209. The size of the drive is irrelevant in both cases - it's the user space that matters. In addition, with Dish, you have unlimited ADDITIONAL storage easily accessed on the Hopper with external hard drives.

#287 OFFLINE   wgf

wgf

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

When I turn my TV off it shuts off the hopper. When I turn the TV on the hopper comes back on. When the hopper is off none of the joeys work either. I disconnected the HDMI cable from the hopper and now it works fine but of course I can't watch the TV.

#288 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

Sounds like CEC to me

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#289 OFFLINE   rld37

rld37

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

I am still getting used to the Hopper. In some ways I regret moving from Direct TV DVR. Too soon to tell.

I had my Hopper and 1 Joey installed on April 26 in the San Jose CA area. I took about 2 hours to check my existing DirectTV wiring, which they used unchanged, and remove the direct TV dish and install the new dish on my roof. I have no problems at all. Everything works fine.

I am still getting used to the Hopper software and the folders. The one thing I miss is the Direct TV ratings using the Rotten Tomatoes system as well as there existing star ratings.

If I went into a store and saw the hopper interface I am not sure that I would have changed from Direct tv, since it is so different.

Also if you call direct tv cancellation line, NOT the main line, they will offer you their new 1TB 34? DVR for free as well as reduced monthly price, if you are cancelling

Does anyone have a good way to organize the Hopper folders? If you put a show in a folder can you delete it from the default folder?

I am also not sure how useful the prime time anytime feature is for me. I am assuming that prime time anytime shows are stored on the Dish Partition and not the users one?

Any suggestions about using folders?

What is D* cancellation line?

#290 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

What is D* cancellation line?

When you call the main line at DirecTV say "cancel" and you go to customer retention and may get a better deal, or they may tell you to take a hike.

#291 OFFLINE   gbeenie

gbeenie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

The Hopper/Joey isn't limited to RF remote control, is it? I haven't had a DISH system in many years, and my in-laws are still stuck with 1998 receivers (that prevent me from getting them a Harmony remote); I'm hoping DISH has wised up on this.

#292 OFFLINE   gbeenie

gbeenie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

When I turn my TV off it shuts off the hopper. When I turn the TV on the hopper comes back on. When the hopper is off none of the joeys work either. I disconnected the HDMI cable from the hopper and now it works fine but of course I can't watch the TV.

You've got control-over-HDMI activated on either your TV, the Hopper, or both.

EDIT: My money's on the TV.

Edited by gbeenie, 03 May 2012 - 01:09 PM.
Thought of another thing to add

#293 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

The Hopper/Joey isn't limited to RF remote control, is it? I haven't had a DISH system in many years, and my in-laws are still stuck with 1998 receivers (that prevent me from getting them a Harmony remote); I'm hoping DISH has wised up on this.

No it isn't.

#294 OFFLINE   gbeenie

gbeenie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

No it isn't.

Yay! I just bought a Harmony One, and I'd have hated to have a major part of my system beyond its control.

#295 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Yay! I just bought a Harmony One, and I'd have hated to have a major part of my system beyond its control.

when it will support ZigBee (two ways) ...

#296 OFFLINE   fuzzface

fuzzface

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Had 1 Hopper and 1 Joey installed yesterday and a 625 and 722K removed. Everything took under 2 hours and seemed to go rather seamlessly. The only surprise (to me) was that the installer told me Dish pretty much required the Hopper to be connected to the internet. He told me it would receive NO updates unless it was connected. I ended up letting him install some homeplugs to do this and am actually pretty happy with the whole thing.

#297 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

This seems odd, updates come through the dish (I thought). Hope it's not true since I'm having my install 2 days before I'll have internet (new house). Can't you just plug a cat5 cable from a router into the hopper?

Had 1 Hopper and 1 Joey installed yesterday and a 625 and 722K removed. Everything took under 2 hours and seemed to go rather seamlessly. The only surprise (to me) was that the installer told me Dish pretty much required the Hopper to be connected to the internet. He told me it would receive NO updates unless it was connected. I ended up letting him install some homeplugs to do this and am actually pretty happy with the whole thing.

#298 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

updates of FW, EPG coming from sats
yes, Cat5 is OK to h2k for most of cases, sans DLNA for Joye(s)

#299 OFFLINE   Gerard

Gerard

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Dish Network Hopper and Joey installed Friday. My experiences:

A) came home to play with it. I had the screen locked up in 5 minutes hearing sound but seeing Hopper screen saver- reset
B) technician plugged in my USB sling from my vip722. tried to use dish app to change a channel like I could before -broken
C) tried to use iPad to play a DVR show on my TV as before. -broken
D) called and added blockbuster and removed HBO. Funny the free show had huge moments where the stream failed and had to buffer. But today we buy a movie for additional 6.99 and flawless play back. My interpretation monthly included part of blockbuster is that it is purposely throttled to allow more important ppv traffic to take priority.
E) saw ads showing Pandora, love it. Got the Hopper no Pandora yet they tell me.
F) liked the idea of playing my library of music, videos, and pictures via that home media app. Guess what, I tried all four examples. None work and I know the network is not an issue, I setup Cisco amd Juniper network gear for a living.
G) was told on the Wednesday night it was a $99 upgrade. Guess what they charged me $300 Thursday morning. Would not honor the promises made the night before.

Install took over 3 hours and I did not even need a new dish.

Were you able to get the Home media app working?

I have had the system siince Sunday.

I have my Win7 Pro Desktop computer running Serviio (a free media server for Window, Mac and Linux. It enables streaming video, audio and images to your DLNA certified devices)

I can see the computer that has the music, pictures and videos but, have not been able to view or play the files.

It just stays in the loading process...

#300 OFFLINE   njk986

njk986

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Were you able to get the Home media app working?

I have had the system siince Sunday.

I have my Win7 Pro Desktop computer running Serviio (a free media server for Window, Mac and Linux. It enables streaming video, audio and images to your DLNA certified devices)

I can see the computer that has the music, pictures and videos but, have not been able to view or play the files.

It just stays in the loading process...

PlayOn server works great. Just have to have whatever tv you play it on directly connected to the network, or have a HIC installed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...