Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

My install went well, "only" 5 hours, 3 of which installing the dish/cables. No problems with Hopper and 2 Joeys. Have not used it much, but much nicer than my old 722. I'm not sure what everyone seems to be saying as "faster", doesn't really seem that much faster to me. My 722 was fast (unless I closed my cabinet doors, then it was REAL slow).

PTAT is great, just need to figure out how to sort through all the content. My wife complains about not being able to read the times in the guide... the black shadow effect must make it hard for her to read (I have no problem with it).

In default settings, all the logo names are cropped off at the left (easily corrected by reducing picture size 1 click), seems odd to have to set this.

Wish there was a way to copy favorites to Joeys. Seems odd you can copy parental control, but not favorites. I have 84 on my list my wife has 80, no fun doing that 3 times!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm not sure what everyone seems to be saying as "faster", doesn't really seem that much faster to me.

Take a DirecTV HR series for spin and you'll understand. ;)

#303 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Take a DirecTV HR series for spin and you'll understand. ;)

Which system do you have? Dish or DIRECTV?

#304 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Which system do you have? Dish or DIRECTV?

I recently switched to Dish from DirecTV.
HUGE difference in performance. I'd love to get my old HR20 back from DirecTV and take it to the range.

#305 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Just read this entire thread, I think I'm ready to jump ship with D*!

One question: I read <in this post> that the Hopper doesn't have the "Skip to Tick" or "Bookmark" features that the D* receivers have? If true I can live without the "Skip to Tick", but I would really miss the bookmark feature as I make use that all the time.
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#306 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

If you have additional questions about the Hopper/Joey, please let me know. Did the bookmark feature just take you back to the spot you left off on a recording? If so, with our receivers, if you stop a playback on a recording you can resume playback where you left off. Please let me know. Thanks.

One question: I read <in this post> that the Hopper doesn't have the "Skip to Tick" or "Bookmark" features that the D* receivers have? If true I can live without the "Skip to Tick", but I would really miss the bookmark feature as I make use that all the time.

#307 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

No Skip to Tick
No Bookmarks

The post you referenced mentions no Youtube or Pandora. We now have Pandora.

If you haven't seen it yet, you may want to take a look at the video I made for people like you and myself who have been with DirecTV for a while and weren't up to speed on the Dish DVR.
http://www.dbstalk.c...632#post3020632

I also listed Pros & Cons here
http://www.dbstalk.c...829#post3013829

#308 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I miss bookmarks too, but they may be in the pipeline. HERE's a video of what's in development. If implemented, it will leapfrog DirecTV's bookmarks because it also includes thumbnails of each marked scene plus direct access to each via the number keys, i.e., 6 goes directly to the 6th mark. Very cool stuff.

#309 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Did the bookmark feature just take you back to the spot you left off on a recording? If so, with our receivers, if you stop a playback on a recording you can resume playback where you left off. Please let me know. Thanks.

Ray, D*'s bookmark feature is not the resume function you refer to. It allows setting multiple points (bookmarks) in a recording that you can later return to quickly without having to FF/RR through the entire recording to find a specific spot in the recording you want to return too. Ever try to find a specific spot in a movie back in the days of VHS cassette tapes? Kind of the same thing with a DVR lacking a bookmark feature.

Watch the <VIDEO> that mdavej just posted. At the 2:20 point in that video is a clear demonstration of what D* calls "bookmarks". D*'s bookmarks are not nearly this sophisticated, no thumbnails or text attached, just tick marks placed on the timeline with the remote that one can easily return to, but it achieves the same thing. I use bookmarks a lot just in the way you see it demonstrated in the video.

Another Con I just learned of in reading Marlin Guy's Pros & Cons post is the lack of Live Buffer While Watching Recorded Programs which is another D* feature I consistently make use of. Pos & Cons indeed!

If the remote featured in the video is actually released then Dish would truly have the ultimate DVR!
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#310 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

You have to plan ahead a little to keep your live buffer. What I do is turn on PIP and switch to the other tuner I don't care about when playing recordings. That way I keep the buffer on the primary PIP tuner. Once you get in that habit, it's not so bad. On DirecTV I never had to think about it. It just always worked.

#311 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

In regards to PIP, with the Hopper can the PIG (picture in graphics, the small picture seen when in the guide) be controlled (i.e. paused, etc.) while in the guide? D* used to have this feature but took it away with their HD GUI upgrade (IMO the worst upgrade they ever conceived of, the negative impacts of which are the main reasons D* is pushing me to the Hopper).
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#312 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,245 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

I understand that no provider has everything. I read that from a specific DirecTV employee defending the choices his company makes in carrying HD channels.

The same applies to DVR features. Yes, there is no DirecTV bookmarks feature ... this isn't a DirecTV receiver. This is a DISH receiver built on the features DISH has offered over the years and (hopefully) improved.

No receiver has everything ... The Hopper system (including Joeys) has PTA and AutoHOP. I would not trade those for "bookmarks".

#313 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,245 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

In regards to PIP, with the Hopper can the PIG (picture in graphics, the small picture seen when in the guide) be controlled (i.e. paused, etc.) while in the guide? D* used to have this feature but took it away with their HD GUI upgrade (IMO the worst upgrade they ever conceived of, the negative impacts of which are the main reasons D* is pushing me to the Hopper).

The picture needs to be paused before entering the guide. The pause control does not work once the guide screen has been entered. (And I believe there isn't a DISH receiver that has ever done that.)

#314 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

No receiver has everything ... The Hopper system (including Joeys) has PTA and AutoHOP. I would not trade those for "bookmarks".

Well, neither would I. I never alluded that lack of "Bookmarks" would be a deal breaker, that's why I just signed up for a 2 year commitment with DISH! Hopper with 2 Joey's supposedly gets installed this coming Monday (Installers work on Memorial Day!?).

I hope I don't regret this move, I've been with D* continuously from the very beginning, since 1994. Before D*, there was no TV at all (no OTA) where I live at 9000ft. elevation in the Colorado Rockies.
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#315 OFFLINE   dhickman

dhickman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

I had mine installed last friday.

1 hopper/2 joeys.

I was a dish customer when the 922 came out and that experience ( 5 922s later) had me switch to DirectTV and eventually I became a cord cutter.

I finally bought a house and decided that the hopper tech would be interesting so I decided to give it try.

I had the Hopper installed to the main tv and the joeys on the kids tv and the home office.

Due to the house design it is very difficult to get to the secondary rooms with COAX, so I had the installer run a drop to my home office and hooked the HIC up there.

To initialize the joeys we ran a jumper cable from the hic to the joey(s). Activate it and then connect the device via ethernet cat5 to a gig switch on a dedicated vlan. Works like a champ.

As a backup if Dish ever decides to disable this functionality, I bought two more hics and hooked the HIC in reverse with the coax to the joey and ethernet into the joey. Works as expected since MOCA is layer network technology and the HIC is a bridge device.

It is nice to see IPTV on a satellite based device.

There has been a few slowdowns that resolved on its own and I can not get sling to work with my android devices, but overall this is what the 922 promised, and having ip based clients(
MOCA) is an excellent idea.

My next step is to get another joey and see if it will work over a vpn to my home network, if it does ( and I do not see how it will not work), this will be my prefered device when I travel for watching tv.

#316 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

If you have managed switches, could you tell us some statistics, a load of your VPN with one client and more in future ?

#317 OFFLINE   dhickman

dhickman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

If you have managed switches, could you tell us some statistics, a load of your VPN with one client and more in future ?

I am collecting that data right now. so far the largest data stream was a sustained 4 megabit stream to one of the joeys.

The hopper is connected via direct ethernet and moca. Each port has its own mac address and ip address.

So far the only problem I have is that I need to manually setup my firewall to allow dish online remote access ( the receiver shows up unconnected) and I need to open up the needed firewall ports since I use OpenBSD on the perimeter.

#318 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Dish installer showed up on time on Memorial Day, great guy, we had a lot in common. Easy install as all cables were already in place from D*, and coax distribution system already installed in the house when it was built (by me).

Only problem so far is the Hopper keeps losing it's connectivity to my router, not sure why. I've got 9 devices on my home network, and the Hopper is the only one experiencing this problem. Are there any threads on the forum discussing this? (and yes, I'll do a search)

edit: A search seemingly only turned up one pertinent thread. I'll continue discussion of this problem there.

edit2: Didn't have the maximum number of DHCP users set correctly in the router, seems to be fixed... time will tell.

Edited by Continental Divide, 01 June 2012 - 12:26 PM.

~Lee de Forest -1926.

#319 OFFLINE   darrengs

darrengs

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I am a new Dish customer as of 5/12/2012. I jumped ship from DirecTV after they bungled a customer service issue.

On Friday 5/11/2012 I received an email from DirecTV informing me that they would do me a favor and shut my service off as of midnight that night without requiring me to talk to retentions. This was in response to my email asking them about cancellation policies. This gave me less than 13 hours before I would have no television, at first I was going to call them and let them know that I did not plan to cancel at this time, but instead I decided to call Dish. I called Dish around 1:00PM and order service with 2 Hoppers, 3 Joeys and 1 sling adapter, and the install was set up for the next day, Saturday 5/12/2012 between noon and 5.

I received an automated call and text that evening about the install but never got any calls from the installer as I was told would happen. The installer did arrive around 3:45PM, and I showed him the setup. Where my old DirecTV dish was I had 4 RG6 cable that were homerun to my wiring panel in a closet in the 2nd floor master. In the closet I have multiple RG6 and cat5e run to all rooms of the house with easy patch panel access. I also had all of the RG6 connections labeled for Joeys/Hoppers and in all rooms RG6 were waiting for the Joeys and RG6/Cat5e were waiting for the Hoppers.
The installer removed my DirecTV dish and then informed me that with my 2 Hopper setup he would need to install 2 dishes or else the Joeys would work fine for a few days then would start "hopping" between each Hopper. I questioned this as I wanted my Joeys to be able to connect to each Hopper and also in the future I wanted the Hoppers to be able to see each other. He told me that the Joeys cannot switch between Hoppers and the Hoppers were never going to be able to see each other, he explained that they were doing all 2 hopper installs this way for now to prevent the "hopping problems" and when the software issues were corrected they could come back and remove a dish. I ended up believing him and he proceeded to install 2 dishes on the back of my house and 2 single node switches. The install and Hopper/Joey software update took 3.5 hours, I tipped him $20 and he left at 7:15PM.

After he left I started researching and posting on forums and I became extremely aware that the installer was mistaken. My hunch is that he most likely did not have a duonode switch in his truck. If indeed that was the case I wish he would have told me so, and simply installed 1 Hopper and the 3 Joeys at that time and then scheduled to come back with the correct switch and installed the other Hopper.

Well that night I contacted DiRT member and he confirmed that the install was incorrect and scheduled a Field Service Manager and installer for Saturday 5/19/2012 between 8:00AM and Noon to correct the issue. Again I received the automated call, email and text message on Friday evening which promised a call about an hour before the installer was to arrive, and again this did not happen. My doorbell rang at 9:22AM, I opened the door and the same installer from the previous week was standing there. He asked me what the issue was, so I told him that I should be getting a duonode switch and only have 1 dish. He again told me that I would have problems and that I shouldn’t be listening to what people say online in forums. I explained that I was told by a Dish employee that my install was wrong and that it would be corrected today with a duonode switch and would require just one dish. He told me that he needed to order the switch, and it would take two days. He said he would come first thing Wednesday the23rd at 8:00AM or earlier.

On Wednesday 5/23/2012 he did not show, I called the number on the sticker that he placed on my remote and I was told that he was on his way to the office. Given that his office is 45 minutes away and it was now 8:30AM, I was pretty certain that he would not be there until after 9:00AM and perhaps 10:00AM, so I left to go to work. 30 minutes later the installer called me and apologized about not calling but said he was called into a meeting, and we could reschedule later. I tried to call him back to reschedule but he did not answer and did not call me back. The original DiRT member was away so that night I again contacted a different DiRT member. We ended up talking on the phone and he scheduled a Field Service Manager and installer to arrive again at my house on Saturday 5/26/2012 between 8:00AM and Noon.

Friday evening, I again received the call, email and text about my appointment. Then on Saturday morning at 7:30AM I received a call from the dispatcher that a FSM was not available but that she could ensure that a different installer came out. I responded that that would be fine, but I asked her to verify that the installer did indeed have a duonode switch on the truck. She called me back and told me that he did indeed have the correct equipment with him. About 8:30AM I received a call from the installer telling me he was about 25 minutes away. When he arrived I showed him the dishes and the wiring closet, and asked him if he could silicone any holes in the side of the house caused by the second dish. He actually removed both dishes and replaced one with a different dish, he removed the 2 singlenode switches, installed the duonode switch, and verified all Hoppers/Joeys were working before he left. Total time was about 1.5 hours.

Although there was some frustration with my install and then with getting the issue corrected, I must say that the level of knowledge and communication by the DiRT members was exemplary. I do like the Hoppers/Joeys and there is no way one Hopper would have been enough tuners for my family of four. I was also experiencing a problem when I turned the one Hopper on, where it would check the switch, and this resulted in all current recording stopping. However, since the new dish/duonode switch was installed I have not seen this happen again.

#320 OFFLINE   cloudtamer

cloudtamer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

I had a VIP622 installed and a "Home" cable fabrication that allowed the VIP622 to work with the back bedroom and a 311 to share with the office. All in all we had 2 receivers.

Once Hopper/Joey was announced and looked at all the wonderful features, I had to have it, convinced the Husband and they were out today.

All in all they were out here and did a great job. They installed a new Sat Dish outside, new switch and a new Hopper. The guy was able to get the existing "Home Cable" System updated to support the 1 Joey to be moved from room to room, in case of Company comes over.

This will be my first night with PTAT and I am looking forward to it! You don't know how many times with the VIP622 that you forget you are watching a DVRed show, and the last 3 min of a show gets you hooked into the next one, only to have it stop at a good part! Or worse yet, you don't catch that final joke, due to a scheduled channel change! Now I get to watch the next show even though I did not schedule it! :lol:

Thank you Dish, about time you brought whole home DVR to the Rural Communities!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...