Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   muddypantz

muddypantz

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Fast, nicer interface (the parts I can see)

I have internet connectivity but no On Demand or Blockbuster screens. No menus, no warnings, nadda!!!

Gripes:

"Dish" remote button does not work.

DCMA warning when the TV turns "SOMETIMES" (cables make no difference)

Navigation

If you have to be lined up with ANY icon or it won't move to that option. Ths was much worse on the previous boxes in my opinion. Seems like an easy fix and large oversight on the developer's design team.

Hidden icons / or options exist sporadically. (hard to pin point the cause)

Still don't get the duplicate 1000's channels. Why show them? Again a design flaw. (makes the system look sloppy and unrefined)

DVR listings:
* Hard to read show descriptions when they are LARGE.
* Multi pressing DRV button doesn't cycle back through options.
* Be nice to see folder ICON for shows in folders
* hard to see folders when the DVR is really full
* graphics for recordings usually do not show up on the Joey system
* Nice to have a Listings option on the DVR screen (RED button)

Home Media
* Requires an Ethernet connection to each Joey to stream.
* Menu easily corrupts if the video cannot play.
* Creates strange blank cursor stop points on the screen.

TV is default to not let you switch inputs took me a while to figure out that "Limited Mode" was turned on which disabled the "input" button.

Lame Apps... lost Pandora... Was there the first day, but now it's gone.

Multi-Channel Recall is not default to Immediate On

Cannot force all joeys to use the Hopper's settings (Guide, etc) have to manually adjust each option on each Joey.

No Closed Captions on mute option

Guide very limited customization. (like the Collapse option when available)

Cannot collapse the generic channels like SPORTS ugh!!! Or the PPVs

Cannot hide PPV channels as a whole. Must Lock the channels and hope they don't creat new Ad-Hoc PPV's in the normal listings etc.

Ok this is all I can write for now, but overall I do really like the system. It could be more user friendly. Like most applications or programs I find that they lack finesse. Nerds don't make good designers FYI!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#322 OFFLINE   18 is # 1

18 is # 1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Install about 2.5 hours. I modulate DVR outputs on an OTA signal to multiple TVs throughout the house. I didn't want to give up that ability but my MBedroom has only one coax and cat5 outlet. I read on this forum that the Hopper signal could go by cat5 but my installer wasn't familiar with how to do that. We were able to send the Hopper signal to the router by cat5 and at the Joey we used an HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) backwards and it worked! At the Joey location, the cat5 went to the HIC and the HIC connected to the Joey by coax.:D
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -V

#323 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Awkward setup. No need to use HIC if you have Ethernet at J location.

#324 OFFLINE   Peterc0613

Peterc0613

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

I have been designing and building home theaters for over 25 years. Since the early 1990’s I have used Dish Network in my own home theater and have recommended Dish to all my clients over Direct TV, Comcast, and Time Warner. I was an early adopter for Dish’s first DVR’s including the original JVC DVHS video recorder with built in Dish Tuner before they had DVR’s with hard drives.

What I liked about Dish was the constant upgrading in technology, willingness to replace faulty equipment in a timely manner, and their customer service. Every year I went to the CEDIA (Consumer Electronics Design Industry Association) conference, Dish’s offerings reasonably matched the products from Tivo and often exceeded the products from Direct TV. Other than sports programming (where Direct TV excels) Dish has always had more robust HD programming for movies, concerts, arts and entertainment which appeal more to my theater clients

I have been called in by clients that opted for Direct TV or Cable and had many miserable experiences dealing with their customer service to debug home theater installations. On the other hand, I could get a page from a client with Dish and always get unlimited and skilled technical support over the phone. One wealthy client of mine had multiple vacation properties around the US that he usually arrived at between 11pm-2am after flying/driving only to find the inactive Dish receiver had frozen from not downloading software updates. It didn’t matter wether it was 1am or 3am, I’d conference them in with Dish Tech support and have their system up and running within minutes.

The release of the VIP 922 was a real step forward for versatility, design and interface. However I found that on many of my installs the 922’s would get buggy after a year and needed replacing. As Dish stopped offering 922 packages for upgrades until they could work out the bugs, I found the replacement 922’s shipped out were mostly factory refurbished 922’s from previous malfunctions which usually stopped working even sooner. In my own installation, I have been through eight (8) VIP 922’s over the last 18 months.

I had high hopes that the new Hopper/Joey system would offer the performance of a movie server (sort of a budget priced Kalidascope) without the problems of the 922. I started specking them for new clients as soon as they came out. My first install was a 2-hopper / 6-Joey system in Beverly Hills as part of a $50k home theater. Four weeks of problems with three install crews, two DIRT coordinators, and a regional supervisor finally got the system up and running.

However the Hoppers constantly loose their link with with the Joeys. As the client wanted additional work, I have been on the job site over the last two months installing distributed audio/video, another mini theater in the guest house multiple outdoor TV’s and a projection theater by the pool. I have probably had to re-link the system 20-30 times over that period. I also found that the contrast ratio Joeys required recalibrating the TV’s for a reduced range and the Joey feature set seems to be much limited from the hoppers (no apps, Pandora etc).

I have postponed my next two clients until Dish works out the bugs, installing their theaters but having them keep their previous content provider. Dish what happened to you guys? Between the buggy 922’s and the defective Hopper/Joey configuration you are in danger of loosing a long time customer and avid supporter of your product.

#325 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

... and now professional installers coming with complains ... isn't too much for just released top-notch devices ?

#326 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,244 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

I have been designing and building home theaters for over 25 years. Since the early 1990’s I have used Dish Network in my own home theater and have recommended Dish to all my clients over Direct TV, Comcast, and Time Warner. I was an early adopter for Dish’s first DVR’s including the original JVC DVHS video recorder with built in Dish Tuner before they had DVR’s with hard drives.

What I liked about Dish was the constant upgrading in technology, willingness to replace faulty equipment in a timely manner, and their customer service. Every year I went to the CEDIA (Consumer Electronics Design Industry Association) conference, Dish’s offerings reasonably matched the products from Tivo and often exceeded the products from Direct TV. Other than sports programming (where Direct TV excels) Dish has always had more robust HD programming for movies, concerts, arts and entertainment which appeal more to my theater clients

I have been called in by clients that opted for Direct TV or Cable and had many miserable experiences dealing with their customer service to debug home theater installations. On the other hand, I could get a page from a client with Dish and always get unlimited and skilled technical support over the phone. One wealthy client of mine had multiple vacation properties around the US that he usually arrived at between 11pm-2am after flying/driving only to find the inactive Dish receiver had frozen from not downloading software updates. It didn’t matter wether it was 1am or 3am, I’d conference them in with Dish Tech support and have their system up and running within minutes.

The release of the VIP 922 was a real step forward for versatility, design and interface. However I found that on many of my installs the 922’s would get buggy after a year and needed replacing. As Dish stopped offering 922 packages for upgrades until they could work out the bugs, I found the replacement 922’s shipped out were mostly factory refurbished 922’s from previous malfunctions which usually stopped working even sooner. In my own installation, I have been through eight (8) VIP 922’s over the last 18 months.

I had high hopes that the new Hopper/Joey system would offer the performance of a movie server (sort of a budget priced Kalidascope) without the problems of the 922. I started specking them for new clients as soon as they came out. My first install was a 2-hopper / 6-Joey system in Beverly Hills as part of a $50k home theater. Four weeks of problems with three install crews, two DIRT coordinators, and a regional supervisor finally got the system up and running.

However the Hoppers constantly loose their link with with the Joeys. As the client wanted additional work, I have been on the job site over the last two months installing distributed audio/video, another mini theater in the guest house multiple outdoor TV’s and a projection theater by the pool. I have probably had to re-link the system 20-30 times over that period. I also found that the contrast ratio Joeys required recalibrating the TV’s for a reduced range and the Joey feature set seems to be much limited from the hoppers (no apps, Pandora etc).

I have postponed my next two clients until Dish works out the bugs, installing their theaters but having them keep their previous content provider. Dish what happened to you guys? Between the buggy 922’s and the defective Hopper/Joey configuration you are in danger of loosing a long time customer and avid supporter of your product.

I wonder if they aren't suffering a little bit from the same thing I think DIRECTV has. Marketing pushing products out the door before they where really ready to be launched. The HR34 should not have been released when it was IMHO, and you make it sound like the hopper shouldn't have been released quite yet either.

The key in all that is, I'd expect both companies to get this units in fine condition by the time the fall season starts. So only the very first early adopters are really suffering, if they are having issues at all.

#327 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

I am a new member here. We had our 722K and two 622's for a loong time! Hearing about the Hopper, we called and converted. They gave us 1 Hopper + 2 Joey's. Installation was ok. Everything done in under 3 hours but I didn't like it all. We could record 6 programs at a time if wanted & Hence with the new system going down to 3 (CSR bluffed us with 6 at a time, which we found out at the time of installation that only 3; the other 3 is for primetime). Hence that was very disappointing. Called Dish. They would not do 2 Hopper's without us shelling out $200. I wasn't prepared for that. Argued with Loyalty for an hour. Could not get them to do a 2nd Hopper without $200. PQ was slightly better but not much. Hence we asked DIsh to revert back to our old system. Got it reverted in a week and is now at least without 2 year contract :D

Would have kept if they gave us the second Hopper. But remember Joey's cost $7 a month & Hopper $17 (??) a month. My 622's only $10 a month.
Unless they come out with a 1080P DVR, I am keeping my old.

Does anyone know how to boast signal for international channels? The technicican was mentioning about something I can get at Radioshack but can anyone here point me out? Thanks for the help!

Happy to be a new member! :D

#328 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

I am a new member here. We had our 722K and two 622's for a loong time! Hearing about the Hopper, we called and converted. They gave us 1 Hopper + 2 Joey's. Installation was ok. Everything done in under 3 hours but I didn't like it all. We could record 6 programs at a time if wanted & Hence with the new system going down to 3 (CSR bluffed us with 6 at a time, which we found out at the time of installation that only 3; the other 3 is for primetime). Hence that was very disappointing. Called Dish. They would not do 2 Hopper's without us shelling out $200. I wasn't prepared for that. Argued with Loyalty for an hour. Could not get them to do a 2nd Hopper without $200. PQ was slightly better but not much. Hence we asked DIsh to revert back to our old system. Got it reverted in a week and is now at least without 2 year contract :D

Would have kept if they gave us the second Hopper. But remember Joey's cost $7 a month & Hopper $17 (??) a month. My 622's only $10 a month.
Unless they come out with a 1080P DVR, I am keeping my old.

Does anyone know how to boast signal for international channels? The technicican was mentioning about something I can get at Radioshack but can anyone here point me out? Thanks for the help!

Happy to be a new member! :D

First off the recording of 6 shows is 4 major networks, abc, CBS, NBC, and fox plus 2 others during PRIMETIME only other 21 hours, 20 on weekends you can only record 3. Second hoppers and joeys are $7 a month. Third I just got a second hopper to replace Joey for $100 by contacting the Dish guy here. Or should I say he contacted me.

#329 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

My Hopper and Joey were installed yesterday. Appointment window was from 12:00-5:00PM. Of course they don't get to my house until after 4:30PM. :sure:

Anyways, I was a bit concerned when I opened my door and saw no less than 3 Dish install vans parked in front of my house! Were they going to launch a satellite from my roof? :lol:

All kidding aside I can't complain too much. It took 3 guys about 2 hours to get everything up and running. At first they wanted to use some kind of wireless adapters to connect to my wifi but I demanded they install the HIC. Hopefully that was the right thing to do.

Briefly used the systems last night and it seems the responsiveness of the guide is a little slower than the 922. I also don't particularly care for the guide color scheme but don't see a way to change it.

Luckily my EHD worked right away so no issues there.

They installed the Solo Node device outside, screwed under the roof overhang. Is this device suitable to be outside all the time?

#330 OFFLINE   xfoneguy

xfoneguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

As a new Dish customer (just about 2 weeks now) I am mostly happy that I "jumped ship". The many Hopper features that I love definitely outweigh the few that I miss.

I do have one problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

After realizing that I misunderstood the way that the tuners worked and that there was NO way I could live with only 3, I was able to talk to customer service and get a 2nd Hopper installed with "new customer terms" (very nice!).

Problem solved - almost.....

The room where I wanted and needed the 2nd Hopper installed does not have internet access. Unless I'm doing something else wrong, it appears that I can't get on-demand, Blockbuster, etc.

Trying to pull new CAT 5/6 wire to this part of the house would not be a pleasant task - are there wireless solutions out there, and if so, what would be the best way to go?

Thank you so much. I'm very new to all of this and will find my way around eventually (I hope).

#331 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Everything should have access to the Internet if you have one Hopper connected, provided that there wasn't an isolator installed or bridging disabled.

#332 OFFLINE   xfoneguy

xfoneguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

something is missing (including my understanding of how this is all put together) .....

Hopper#1 - everything appears to be working fine. I have the COAX connection and wired ethernet. Network Setup page shows all the proper info, addresses, etc.

Joey - COAX connection only. Network Setup page shows "MOCA". DHCP, Server and Internet connections all show "failed". Addresses (IP, DNS, etc) are all bad.

Tried multiple restarts and connection/network resets without any success.

Hopper #2: Everything (including wiring and everything else) is a "DITTO" with the Joey.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

thanks again :)

#333 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

On your Hopper that's connected to the internet.
Press Yellow, Blue, broadband, Red then select MOCA then press Blue, Blue. A "bridging" button will appear. Select bridging and make sure it is enabled then your other Hopper & Joey should connect.

Edited by n0qcu, 14 July 2012 - 11:17 AM.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#334 OFFLINE   xfoneguy

xfoneguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

On your Hopper that's connected to the internet.
Press Yellow, Blue, broadband, Red then select MOCA then press Blue, Blue. A "bridging" button will appear. Select bridging and make sure it is enabled then your other Hopper & Joey should connect.

Awesome! Bridging was definitely disabled,,,, I now have internet access ("on-demand", etc) from all 3 boxes with only 1 ethernet connection. Finally!

Thank you SO much!

#335 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

I had my install done 7/10. It took about 45 minutes for the Hopper to download all the info. I couldn't be happier. The Hopper and Joey work like a charm.

#336 ONLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

After 2 months of 1H and 2J, I am happy with everything except:

The way shows/movies show up on the DVR list. I have a 60" TV and it's not easy to read titles (can't image it on a 32" set). There should be a user option to view this in the current icon/table format or in a high contrast list. If there is such a setting, please let me know. My 722 was much easier to read and find things.

#337 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

After 2 months of 1H and 2J, I am happy with everything except:

The way shows/movies show up on the DVR list. I have a 60" TV and it's not easy to read titles (can't image it on a 32" set). There should be a user option to view this in the current icon/table format or in a high contrast list. If there is such a setting, please let me know. My 722 was much easier to read and find things.

So far only CC text could be changed, nothing for other menu/screens. :(

#338 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,290 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

That is one of the things I'd love to see changed about the GUI ... give me a SD version! The GUI looks nice on a HD, especially a large one, but it seems DISH forgot that with the way they sell Hopper/Joey that SD sets are still part of the equation. The GUI is way too small for a SD resolution set.

#339 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well, I took the plunge and have a 2H/3J install scheduled for Saturday.

We'll see what happens.

I wanted to get this setup done before my daughter visits next week (TV will now be available in the guest room where it never was before) and before the Olympics started.

#340 OFFLINE   bt66

bt66

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

I just had H/j/j installed today. Coming over from DirecTv. Seems like the qulaity of HD is not as good as I had on DirecTv. ANyone notice that? It's especially bad with the Networks. Lots of Pixelization. Not so bad on HBO etc.

Also the Hopper & Joyes are runnning super Hot. Joeys are HOT even when off. What the hell is going on there.. wonder if they will melt in a few days.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...