Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

My install went virtually glitch-free. Only a couple of minor things that were quickly resolved.

Now that I'm actually playing with the software and getting a feel for things, I probably have too much hardware.

Apparently I misunderstood how a Joey sees two Hoppers. I thought it would look like one "virtual device" but it doesn't. You have to pick which Hopper's recording you're looking at. Since that's almost identical to how one of my Hoppers "sees" the other, I think my 2H/3J setup may go down to 2H/1J.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

I just had H/j/j installed today. Coming over from DirecTv. Seems like the qulaity of HD is not as good as I had on DirecTv. ANyone notice that? It's especially bad with the Networks. Lots of Pixelization. Not so bad on HBO etc.

Also the Hopper & Joyes are runnning super Hot. Joeys are HOT even when off. What the hell is going on there.. wonder if they will melt in a few days.

I had my H/j/j installed on July 4th. I also commented that my local CBS/NBC/ABC were not as sharp and a little 'pixelly' compared to what I had with DTV. But I'm not sure if that's because the local affiliates are sending a more compressed stream to Dish (seems unlikely), or that Dish is compressing locals more due to less satellite bandwidth (seems more likely).

I also noticed my Joey's running hot. Try mounting them vertically instead of horizontal. Seems to have helped in my case. At least they haven't melted yet ;)

#343 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

That is one of the things I'd love to see changed about the GUI ... give me a SD version! The GUI looks nice on a HD, especially a large one, but it seems DISH forgot that with the way they sell Hopper/Joey that SD sets are still part of the equation. The GUI is way too small for a SD resolution set.

So you don't have the aspect change option(16x9/4x3#1/4x3#2) when you go into the HDTV Menu Tile,like I do on my 922?.

#344 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

So you don't have the aspect change option(16x9/4x3#1/4x3#2) when you go into the HDTV Menu Tile,like I do on my 922?.

It's the same.

#345 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

That is one of the things I'd love to see changed about the GUI ... give me a SD version! The GUI looks nice on a HD, especially a large one, but it seems DISH forgot that with the way they sell Hopper/Joey that SD sets are still part of the equation. The GUI is way too small for a SD resolution set.

Agreed.

#346 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

One can pick the shape of their set ... but it does not change the size of the fonts and graphical layout. It is all small print (especially on a SD set).

Overall I like the GUI - but as I age I wouldn't mind a large print edition. :D

#347 OFFLINE   bt66

bt66

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Less tha 24hrs after install, one of my Joey's freezes. Just like you would pause a movie. Then a blank screen. Sucks right? DO a reset on Joey & same result.

Call Tech support, they tell that everytime a Joey gets froozen like that, I need to reset the Hopper....bummer. Not a good solution at all. But's that's how it works. They schedule a Tech to come out & check it out. Dude tells me that it's the Hopper that's an issue. Replaces the Hopper(new one in less than 24hrs). All good right ???

Noooo!!!. Tech is gone I am watching tv with the Joey & I am trying to scan channels & Voila! it freezes. Can't change channels or do anything with the remote. Can't even power it off. Reset again. Sick & tired. Replacing Joey with Hopper(to get this Hopper is another story).

I suggest everyone who orders Hopper/Joey to hang on to to their monthly Service plan for $7. For how HOT these units run even when they are off...I don't think they will last too long. If your Hopper sits in a wodden cabinet, this could be a fire hazard as well. Make sure it's well ventilated.

SO FAR NOT HAPPY WITH THIS SYSTEM. When I asked about the POOR HD PICTURE, tech did not have an answer. It is what it is. Wish I could go back to DirecTV.

#348 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

I suggest everyone who orders Hopper/Joey to hang on to to their monthly Service plan for $7. For how HOT these units run even when they are off...I don't think they will last too long. If your Hopper sits in a wodden cabinet, this could be a fire hazard as well. Make sure it's well ventilated.

SO FAR NOT HAPPY WITH THIS SYSTEM. When I asked about the POOR HD PICTURE, tech did not have an answer. It is what it is. Wish I could go back to DirecTV.

...it's not going to get that hot. Things will not burst into flame.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#349 OFFLINE   RoboDad

RoboDad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Just thought I'd add my experience. Had a 2 Hopper / 2 Joey / 2 sling adapter installation done yesterday.

One of my neighbors (and a good friend) is a Dish retailer/installer, so I told him last week that I was ready to upgrade from my dual 722 setup to a Hopper/Joey setup. He ordered the hardware, and it arrived Friday, but his schedule for the day was already full so he couldn't take care of my install until Monday.

I did my homework, and had all of the locations prepped and staged for the new devices before he arrived at 9 am yesterday. When he arrived, we set up the duo node first, which was easy since all of the cable runs already came together in the garage. Next we set up the two Hoppers (family room and master bedroom). Once the software downloads were completed, he called the activation number to get them authorized. Of course, since there was a difference in price, the woman on the phone required my authorization, but she kind of laughed when she realized that, because of what I was replacing, the difference was one dollar per month.

After the authorization/activation was done, we verified that both Hoppers were working well, and moved on to the upstairs Joeys. We plugged them in, downloaded the software, connected them to the Hoppers, and we were done.

There were no glitches, hiccups, or problems of any kind. My friend laughed out loud as he looked at his watch when he was leaving. The entire install took less than 90 minutes, and he commented that it was the fastest, easiest Hopper install he has ever done.

I haven't had any problems with the equipment so far, but I did also take one precautionary step. I went to my local Target and picked up a couple of cheap USB fans, and put one next to each Hopper. Without the fans running, the Hoppers were uncomfortably hot to the touch on the underside of the units, but with them running they are barely above room temperature. I'm not going to open them to check the actual temps, but I am confident that they are going to be fine with these fans attached.

I'm still learning my way around the new system, but so far I am VERY impressed. Sure, there are still some kinks to work out (like seeing an EHD on one Hopper from another Hopper), but overall this is the most advanced DVR I've ever seen.

Probably the biggest complaint I have so far is that the Sling adapter support still needs work. Before the install, I couldn't resist playing with the adapters on my old 722s, and was very impressed. I could see and watch my EHD recordings without having to do anything special, and the performance and quality was amazing. On my Hoppers, I can't see my EHD recordings at all, and watching my internal recordings has kind of spotty quality. I hope these issues are addressed in a future update.

#350 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

If you've only been running it for a day or so, wait about 48 hours for full effect. The 922 and the Hopper have a 48 hour 'settling' period.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#351 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi All
I'm new to DISH and to this thread. My Hopper and one Joey were installed Jul 16. Thus far no glitches. After 17 years with DTV and 5 yrs with to clunky old HR 20s. My present setup is a breath of fresh air. When our house was built a few years ago I made sure that each potential TV location was wired with 2 RG6 cables (i needed 2 for the HR 20s) and cat 5 for phone. This made the install very simple.
Some here have reported that their boxes run hot. Well IMO hot is relative. If I can touch and leave my hand on it, it's warm not hot. I consider my system as warm, and not much if any warmer than the HR20s. PQ on HD is at least as good as the DTV and SD is definitely better. I have not noticed any pixilation reported by others. All my sat. readings (West Valley of Phoenix area) are better than the avg's reported by some kind person in spreadsheet. A bonus for us is some of our regularly watched channels are now in HD. The installer was very courteous and made no mess and left us with a tidy setup. A minor glitch was in what was included in my package (Ameica's top 250). A quick short phone call to CS cleared it up to my total satisfaction. Again the CSR was very courteous and helpful (unlike some of them at DTV). Any way I'm not here to bash DTV but, here to say that so far I'm happy we switched.

#352 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

:welcome_s to dish

#353 OFFLINE   RoboDad

RoboDad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

ChE74, before you dismiss the heat issue, put your hand on the underside of your Hopper, especially on the right side. Both of my Hoppers were so hot there that I couldn't keep my hand on them for more than a few seconds before it became very uncomfortable. With a cheap (and reasonably quiet) USB fan sitting next to that side of the Hopper, it is near room temperature.

Also, many of the people here reporting the heat issue didn't do so subjectively. They opened their Hoppers and got the actual temperature reading, which was sometime as high as 150 degrees.

#354 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the welcome domingo35

And Thank you RoboDad for your comments and suggestion. It's looks like a great solution. I don't take the temp. issue lightly. I neglected to indicate how my Hopper was situated. It's in a standard width equipment cabinet fully open front and back. From day 1 I have it elevated with two strips of wood located on the outside of it's small feet. This gives it 1½+" of clearance on the bottom and it has about 3" of top clearance. Ambient at its location is 80° F. I can move my hand all around and feel the underside and as you indicated the highest temp. of the case is at the right underside. I did the same elevation thing with my old warm running HR20s.

A few ?s
Can you give me and others the make etc. of the fan your using.
Is there an system info page that reports the internal temp.? My HRs reported that on an info page.
Have any of HIRT members commented on the temp. issue, here or on another thread? If so what have they said? Although my Hopper may be a little cooler that others I'm sure it would be better of running cooler.
Perhaps someone familiar with current electronic components can comment on their sensitivety to temp. Reading reviews of all types of electronic devices i.e. AV receivers, some blu-ray players, notably an OTA DVR, many are reported as running very warm to hot. Are the components more robust or is this just a corner cutting measure?

Thanks again to all.

#355 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

And Thank you RoboDad for your comments and suggestion. It's looks like a great solution. I don't take the temp. issue lightly. I neglected to indicate how my Hopper was situated. It's in a standard width equipment cabinet fully open front and back. From day 1 I have it elevated with two strips of wood located on the outside of it's small feet. This gives it 1½+" of clearance on the bottom and it has about 3" of top clearance. Ambient at its location is 80° F. I can move my hand all around and feel the underside and as you indicated the highest temp. of the case is at the right underside. I did the same elevation thing with my old warm running HR20s.

A few ?s
Is there an system info page that reports the internal temp.? My HRs reported that on an info page.
Have any of HIRT members commented on the temp. issue, here or on another thread? If so what have they said? Although my Hopper may be a little cooler that others I'm sure it would be better of running cooler.
Perhaps someone familiar with current electronic components can comment on their sensitivety to temp. Reading reviews of all types of electronic devices i.e. AV receivers, some blu-ray players, notably an OTA DVR, many are reported as running very warm to hot. Are the components more robust or is this just a corner cutting measure?

Thanks again to all.

i used this fan on my 722
http://www.ebay.com/...4#ht_500wt_1127

#356 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Personally, I am looking forward to the new house Dish is going to buy me when the Fire Marshall confirms that the house fire was caused by the Hopper. :)
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#357 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Personally, I am looking forward to the new house Dish is going to buy me when the Fire Marshall confirms that the house fire was caused by the Hopper. :)

u wish :nono2:

#358 OFFLINE   RoboDad

RoboDad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

A few ?s

Thanks again to all.

I can't answer some of your questions, but I can comment on the robustness topic. Most components can handle heat up to roughly 75-80C (165-175F), but not for sustained periods of time (longer than 12 hours, for example). In the case of a Blu-ray player, AV receiver, or similar component, the device is not typically on and generating heat the majority of the time. Similarly, a PC CPU can handle very high heat, but in most cases it won't be sustaining that heat for long periods of intense work, so it is generally fine with it.

The Hopper, however, is generating unusually high heat on a constant basis - it is never "off". If it is only getting up to 60C (140F), that probably won't damage the majority of the internal components, but it will likely cause the hard drive to fail much sooner than it otherwise would have. I had that happen with one of my old Dish 722 DVRs about two years ago, because I never paid attention to the heat it was generating. I don't want to make that mistake again with my Hoppers.

Yes, that's a great fan for the Hopper. You can get it at Amazon for a better price:

http://www.amazon.co...maltake usb fan

Right now I am using a pair of cheap fans from Target, but I plan to replace them with the Thermaltake version very soon.

#359 OFFLINE   bt66

bt66

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

I don't think we should be buying extra fans etc to cool this thing. DISH should have done a better job designing this an internal fan or better electronics to make it run cooler. I don't like fan noises when watching my movies. It really kills the experience when you have very good HT system. HD quality is definitely not as good as DirecTv. I hope they correct it soon as well.

#360 OFFLINE   Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

That's the same one that I use too. Just moved it over to the Hopper.
Equipment List
Dish Hopper
3 Joeys
Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP HDTV
OPPO BDP-83 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5004 AVR
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 L/C/R Speakers
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Surrounds
SVS 25-31PC Subwoofer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...