Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I don't think we should be buying extra fans etc to cool this thing. DISH should have done a better job designing this an internal fan or better electronics to make it run cooler. I don't like fan noises when watching my movies. It really kills the experience when you have very good HT system. HD quality is definitely not as good as DirecTv. I hope they correct it soon as well.

The Thermaltake fan has a variable speed you set to level you want. If you crank it up, you will definitely hear it though!
Equipment List
Dish Hopper
3 Joeys
Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP HDTV
OPPO BDP-83 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5004 AVR
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 L/C/R Speakers
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Surrounds
SVS 25-31PC Subwoofer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

i just started using the fan on my hopper and it made a huge diference
before the top right side was hot to the touch ,now its just warm

#363 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi domingo35 and Robodad.

I just ordered the Thermaltake fan. Where did you gentlemen find the most effective place to put it for best cooling of the Wopper?

#364 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

CPU area and sat tuner's spot.

#365 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hi domingo35 and Robodad.

I just ordered the Thermaltake fan. Where did you gentlemen find the most effective place to put it for best cooling of the Wopper?

right side of the hopper

#366 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thanks again to all.

#367 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm so happy that a bookmarking feature may finally be in the pipeline! It may sound stupid, but that was a major reason holding me back from switching to Dish (the other being the AMC problem).

#368 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Shout out Dish tech, LaDarius in Memphis TN. Came out and it took 5 hours to set up my Hopper. Not his fault; had to install new dish and run new a line THEN had to replace Hopper. Great guy, great customer service from him. He apologized several times for taking so long but it was my equip that made the job harder. He was very knowledgeable for only been doing Dish for 6 months.

Replaced a dying 722 with a Hopper and 1 Joey for now. Seems the Hopper is very picky about the sat signal it gets and thus the need for new dish at a new spot on the roof and new line run in (old line had 2 splices from past installer). Just now getting into the Hopper but seems nice and smooth and very responsive. Wish there was a way to customize the Guide look tho. Bright white with thin font text is kinda a pain to read.

#369 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Yes, the cable from a node to H must be good quality, works up to 3 GHz.

#370 OFFLINE   randob

randob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Long-time Dish customer here. Started out with a 3800, I think it was, then got 4700, 501, 722, 622, now Hopper & 2 Joeys. Every DVR model I've had has had its hard disk die. But on to my complaint--since replacing the 722, I miss the organization of having My Folders and Folders by Title at once. Did I miss something, or is that feature not available on Hopper?

#371 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Press DVR button, Green button, you'll get selection; when you press record you could select old folder or create new ...

#372 OFFLINE   randob

randob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, but I mean on the selection, you can only choose one option. With 722 you could set it up so the DVR list shows both My Folders and Folders by Title. Now you get either My Folders with no titles, and if you go into a folder, every episode is listed separately, or you can select Folders by Title and have no idea which My Folder a show is in. My wife & I got used to watching a show and then moving it to one of the kids' folders so we'd know we'd watched it already. Then we'd unprotect it so the kids could delete it. (Don't get me started on that feature which seems to have disappeared as well.)

#373 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

I'm not DVR addict to that level as you :) ... using the features sparingly...

#374 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I must be a DVR addict as well... *looks at signature* I noticed this on day 1, not a huge deal but it would be nice if we had the option for both like on the 722 (also manual timers, protect recordings w/password, dvr deletion history, etc. that 722 has that 922/Hopper don't have.)

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#375 OFFLINE   squidly

squidly

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

My installation a couple days ago went really well. The installer was knowledgeable
and he did a great job hiding the wiring along the side of the house. I guess he was there
3 hours or so.

#376 OFFLINE   neeco51

neeco51

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

The DISH man is coming tomorrow to install 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys. It will replace my 622 and 722K. Looking forward to it, hope all goes well with the installation.

#377 OFFLINE   jr2

jr2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Awesome... Had my Hopper and 2 Joeys installed today.. Took just over an hour and a half. This is one sweet unit. I also see some hints to up and coming additions. I don't know what took them so long but its about time!!!

#378 OFFLINE   PkDog

PkDog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

What hints did you see -- I'm interested.

#379 OFFLINE   jr2

jr2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

What hints did you see -- I'm interested.

Well.. there's bluetooth option in there. That can lead to a bunch of things... A lot of accessibility options the Home Media application. Having internet connectivity should lead to more things down the road as well. Let's hope its things like "Guide Updates" to begin with...:D

#380 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am loving the Hopper so far... I'm going on my second week with it and love it, even if it is a little quirky now and then.

I can hardly wait for the OTA module.

My locals aren't offered in HD on DISH like they were on D*, but D* didn't offer me what I consider "true" locals either. At least Dish has my IN-TOWN station.

Anywhoo, since DISH only requires one cable drop to the Hopper as opposed to the two I originally had with D*, I have an extra cable drop in my Living Room and am running OTA direct to my HDTV. It will be great to get OTA to the rest of the house shared thru the Hopper...

Once DISH starts carrying my locals in HD, it will be moot unless there's some sort of weather related emergency that blocks the sat signal, which is rare. Typically my sat only goes out for 5-10 mins at a time during heavy thunderstorms, and it has to be HEAVY.

I'm hoping the OTA will be a 4th tuner able to be shared by all clients....

spam firewall