Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

I PMed a Dish Internet response Team member at 9:30 am yesterday, ordered an upgrade from a 922 and two 612s to two Hoppers and three Joeys. The installer arrived less than five hours later and took 2 1/2 hours to finish. My existing wiring helped him out.

Everything is working great. I love it, and I also think the PQ is better than it was.

Edited by Joe Bernardi, 17 March 2012 - 06:23 AM.
Typo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I don't want to debate native too much. I understand it's a feature that some people want for various reasons. But I kind of see it as an outdated feature that Dish will probably never have. It's very rare for disc players or any DVR besides DirecTV to have it. If Dish's scaler is good, which it is, what's the point? Very few people are going to have external scalers that are any better. So I think it would be a waste of money to add a feature so few would ever use.

Personally, in the several years I had DirecTV, I was able to tolerate native for about 5 minutes for the reasons already mentioned plus the fact that in many cases native was significantly worse than upconverted. This is because many SD channels are broadcast stretched, which carries over on native. If you switch from native to pillar box, you can squash it back to a normal aspect ratio. With native, you're stuck in stretch mode, which I find unwatchable.

There are lots of DirecTV features I wish Dish had besides native, like bookmarks, skip to tick, better dual live buffers (I often lose my buffer when switching back and forth, while that never happened on DirecTV), youtube and pandora. One huge thing I get with Dish that I never got with DirecTV is being able to use IR and RF remotes simultaneously. Others include the 3 hr wide guide display, portable EHDs, sling and PTAT.

Sorry for getting off topic onto DirecTV vs. Dish. This is supposed to be about the install experience. Mine was difficult and slow, but the end result was good.

You're stating incorrect information but I've already stated the correct information so since this has gotten off topic like you state let's get it back to the Hopper/Joey.

So anyone who has had it installed have you seen any problems such as intermittent problems with slowness, freezing, anything like that that often occurs on the bleeding edge?

Anything you like less on Hopper vs. your previous 722/922 DVR?

#23 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hello all, One question here, I have several recorded programs that I have saved on my 722 that I have not gotten around to watching yet. Due to working 7 days a week at present. Should I wait to get the hopper until I have watched all the recordings or waste the money to get a external hard drive to download the recordings and than have them transferred to the hopper later?
thanks for your help in advance!:)

#24 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've had no problems. The PTAT feature recorded as expected last night. The EHD I used with the 922 is working fine with the Hopper. Recorded a Blockbuster@home movie to be watched later within a 30 day period. Picture quality is better than it was.

#25 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hello all, One question here, I have several recorded programs that I have saved on my 722 that I have not gotten around to watching yet. Due to working 7 days a week at present. Should I wait to get the hopper until I have watched all the recordings or waste the money to get a external hard drive to download the recordings and than have them transferred to the hopper later?

If you think getting an external hard drive is a waste, watch all the recordings before upgrading to the Hopper.

If there are any recordings that you'd prefer to keep for a long time, get an EHD to store it in case your 722 (or Hopper) fails.

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Re: annoyance of slowness changing channels with native passthrough set on there aren't that many 720p channels...

Really? :rolleyes: FX, Fox, almost every ABC, all Fox sports regional nets, A&E, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, History, History International, Crime & Investigation, Biography, Fox News, Fox Business, Fox Soccer, MLB Network, Disney, DXD, Disney Kids, ABC Family, Speed Channel, Fuel, Big Ten Network.

Yeah, there aren't that many. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

If you think getting an external hard drive is a waste, watch all the recordings before upgrading to the Hopper.

If there are any recordings that you'd prefer to keep for a long time, get an EHD to store it in case your 722 (or Hopper) fails.

I agree. But realize the requirements for an EHD are very minimal, so you may have an old drive lying around that will work just fine. The one I used had been sitting in my closet for at least 10 years and was nearly worn out went I put it there. It was hot and noisy, but it worked fine for the few hours I used it. You may even be able to find something a goodwill.

#28 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

The "user space" on the Hopper is 1 TB?

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=250 hd hours

#30 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

NO, it's 500 GB

http://www.satellite...tml#post2808932

Edited by n0qcu, 16 March 2012 - 06:18 PM.
added link with info

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

NO, it's 500 GB

Here we go again ...
Then please (if you missed the thread) do publicly your calculation
don't forget to start from dish claimed 250 hrs of HD ...

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Guys ... this is an install report thread. Please find another thread to argue other topics. Thanks!

#33 OFFLINE   wimac

wimac

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Tech has been here since 12:30 hooking up 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. Having issues with one of the hoppers and the data is networking. They are also telling me that the joeys won't work because they have a firmware issue but are working on it.

#34 OFFLINE   wimac

wimac

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Tech has been here since 12:30 hooking up 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. Having issues with one of the hoppers and the data is networking. They are also telling me that the joeys won't work because they have a firmware issue but are working on it.

Data is not working...

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

can you post MOCA signal snapshots ?

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

The physical connections only took a few minutes, with the addition of one device outside. The installer had no problem with that, but had no idea how to work the hopper itself or the remote. I knew a lot more about it than he did.

Thanks for that info. I'd be curious to know from everyone reporting here whether the installer seemed to know how to work the system.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

To add to El Gabito's question; if you are allowed to auto-save will the auto-save automatically add the default padding? And if not, if you manually save can you add padding in order to "copy" the entire program?

If you want to save a PTAT recording, it has to be manually saved to your HD. There isn't an auto save feature. If you do save a PTAT recording, it does keep a copy in the PTAT folder. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Does this mean that the three hour recording is still there in its entirety until you choose to delete it?

Would someone who has a unit working confirm that one easily can save PTAT recorded shows onto the user hard drive space with extra time at the beginning and end effectively giving you complete copies of all those shows that don't follow the on-the-hour scheduling system - like many ABC shows that actually run from 9:00 to 10:02.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   GATER

GATER

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Just got my Hopper and 3 joeys installed. Technician was here from 1pm to 530pm. Had a few issues, but that is expected for the first install in my area. Connected the hopper using NETGEAR XET1001 85 MBit/s Powerline Network Adapter which seems to be working for now. The installer thought it wouldnt work, but I think they are still learning the ins and outs. EHD connected fine and all the recordings are accessable. The hopper did "freeze" twice and reseting the hopper cleared the issue without compromising any of the settings on the hopper and joeys. More to follow...

#39 OFFLINE   GATER

GATER

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Does this mean that the three hour recording is still there in its entirety until you choose to delete it?

Would someone who has a unit working confirm that one easily can save PTAT recorded shows onto the user hard drive space with extra time at the beginning and end effectively giving you complete copies of all those shows that don't follow the on-the-hour scheduling system - like many ABC shows that actually run from 9:00 to 10:02.

From what I see my PTAT records from 755-1105pm, with the exception of sunday which is 655-1105pm. I wonder if its possible to change the PTAT recording to start at 655 pm?

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Almost all current TV technology uses fixed-pixel displays, i.e. the display is of a set resolution, and cannot be changed (1080, 720, etc.) Unlike CRT's which can actually scan at different resolutions.

Even if you have native passthrough in the box, the TV itself must convert it to whatever its native resolution is before it shows it to you. So it comes down to if the conversion happens in the DVR (Dish) or the TV (DirectTV). I've viewed both, and to my eyes there is no difference quality wise.

In fact, I MUCH prefer the DVR be doing the conversion, why? Because it's always sending the native resolution out the TV is expecting, no conversion takes place in the TV itself. This means it doesn't re-sync every time you change channels, which I find MADDENING. To each his own, but with a flat-panel, non-CRT TV, I prefer the DVR do the conversion (Dish.)

Native pass-through is a feature I would turn off, if present.

Just to be clear, Directv can turn that on and off....

Aside from that, I am thoroughly impressed at how fast and well organized Dish seems to be installing these if you guys are getting them same day. DirecTV could learn from that.

Does the new system still have a coax output on it, and are all outputs live at the same time, in case you would want to hook it up to two tvs but not want any joeys?

spam firewall