Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

I am loving the Hopper so far... I'm going on my second week with it and love it, even if it is a little quirky now and then.

I can hardly wait for the OTA module.

My locals aren't offered in HD on DISH like they were on D*, but D* didn't offer me what I consider "true" locals either. At least Dish has my IN-TOWN station.

Anywhoo, since DISH only requires one cable drop to the Hopper as opposed to the two I originally had with D*, I have an extra cable drop in my Living Room and am running OTA direct to my HDTV. It will be great to get OTA to the rest of the house shared thru the Hopper...

Once DISH starts carrying my locals in HD, it will be moot unless there's some sort of weather related emergency that blocks the sat signal, which is rare. Typically my sat only goes out for 5-10 mins at a time during heavy thunderstorms, and it has to be HEAVY.

I'm hoping the OTA will be a 4th tuner able to be shared by all clients....

Has the OTA adapter for Hopper been confirmed? Or is this just speculation?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

It was supposed to be released by summer's end, but there must have been some setbacks...probably with driver integration into the Hopper OS.

#383 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

It was supposed to be released by summer's end, but there must have been some setbacks...probably with driver integration into the Hopper OS.

I'm starting to think it is 'vaporware'.

Just wondering, but if a tailgater with a 211 or 211K has a Hopper/Joey system, maybe they could get OTA setup in the home by adding the appropriate switch and RG6 cabling.

I have all the necessary hardware but don't have a H/J system yet as I have been waiting for OTA to the Hopper so can't even try it. (would this be against Dish 'rules' if someone did this)?

PS. I have basic cable as part of an internet package so can watch local channels that way but want OTA integrated with a H/J system as I seldom watch 'live'.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#384 OFFLINE   jagowar

jagowar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

I got my 1H/2J system installed yesterday.... overall really like the system but had one big issue last night.

Turned on ptat and wanted to see how well it would work. I don't know if this may have just been a day 1 issue but it messed up pretty spectacularly. The 7pm recordings worked flawlessly. But the 8pm and 9pm recordings failed. It recorded about 3 mins of each show and just stopped. But it did record each channel separately (not all the same channel like I read happens when you have a signal issue.... my signal when tuning manually never breaks up or anything like that. The odd thing is the exact same thing happened again at the 9pm hour. I also think it missed some recordings as well but I need to look at the schedule to see what was supposed to be on yesterday.

Also one other more general question related to the joey's. Is it not possible to pass along settings to the joey's from the hopper? Specifically my fav lists, guide sorting ascending (would be nice if I could set that on one and have it apply to the others in my house). I also noticed it did not have the icons on the joey's guide for ptat (didn't check my timer recordings).

#385 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Wait for a couple days, perhaps it will settle with icons and PoTATos ™ :)

#386 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Newly installed Hoppers/Joeys have a lot of updates. It usually takes 24-48 hours for everything to update. The receivers must be turned off for this to occur. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

I got my 1H/2J system installed yesterday.... overall really like the system but had one big issue last night.

Turned on ptat and wanted to see how well it would work. I don't know if this may have just been a day 1 issue but it messed up pretty spectacularly. The 7pm recordings worked flawlessly. But the 8pm and 9pm recordings failed. It recorded about 3 mins of each show and just stopped. But it did record each channel separately (not all the same channel like I read happens when you have a signal issue.... my signal when tuning manually never breaks up or anything like that. The odd thing is the exact same thing happened again at the 9pm hour. I also think it missed some recordings as well but I need to look at the schedule to see what was supposed to be on yesterday.

Also one other more general question related to the joey's. Is it not possible to pass along settings to the joey's from the hopper? Specifically my fav lists, guide sorting ascending (would be nice if I could set that on one and have it apply to the others in my house). I also noticed it did not have the icons on the joey's guide for ptat (didn't check my timer recordings).

#387 OFFLINE   jagowar

jagowar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

I was planning on giving it a few days regardless but its still a bit disconcerting that on the first night it pretty much completely failed to work right. I need to be able to trust it to work reliably if it's going to replace my current dvr.

I currently have OTA media center so I didn't miss my shows but glad I didn't downgrade it yet.

#388 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

jagowar, give it a few days to update your system and stabilize... I had problems the first couple nights myself, but it has been pretty flawless since... I'm not regretting dumping D* for now... ;)

#389 OFFLINE   jagowar

jagowar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Last night was much better.... actually recorded all shows during ptat so that issue looks like it may be resolved.

Did have one little quirk I wanted to see if was a normal thing with ptat. When attempting to watch a show on ptat while ptat is still running it looks like it just directs you to a point during the 3hr block its recording (on the scrub bar you see the whole 3hr block). The issue I hit was when attempting to watch the office about an hour after it actually aired the jump in point was about half way through the show (didn't actually realize it and watched the second half because it came in after a commercial break and had to go back later to get the whole show). After ptat finished it did correct the time stamps and the office was fine. Just curious if when watching shows while ptat is still running does this happen often and I need to make sure its in the correct spot?

#390 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

The timestamps during PTAT recording are wonky. I haven't had that happen before but it wouldn't surprise me if it burped and jumped halfway into a show.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#391 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,204 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

The issue I hit was when attempting to watch the office about an hour after it actually aired the jump in point was about half way through the show (didn't actually realize it and watched the second half because it came in after a commercial break and had to go back later to get the whole show).

Did you select "Start Over" when selecting the show from the My Recordings/PTAT folder? (Press select to see the menu instead of Play to start the show in progress.) I have not seen a show start in the middle unless I selected "Live TV" from that menu or pressed Play.

I have noticed that AutoHOP is available about an hour after the show airs (instead of next day) on the shows I watch. That is an improvement.

#392 OFFLINE   Gone2Maui

Gone2Maui

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Had my 1H 1J install yesterday. I've been a DirecTV subscriber since 1997 but got a great price on a bundle from my Telco so I made the switch.

The install was pretty painless but rather long due to the downloads. The tech used the exterior wiring that DirecTV had installed but only used 2 of the cables vs the 4 total that were installed. He tried several combinations trying to determine which 2 of the 4 cables he had wired outside. I pointed out to him that he hadn't connected any cables from the node to the receiver itself. Once he did this everything started working but had a couple of freezes requiring a reboot.

I like the interface and it is a lot faster than the DTV DVR I had. I do miss the ability to specify a channel and time for recording. I like to record an hour of HLN in the morning, not the entire 6 hours of the morning problem. I see that is "planned" for a future release.

One question. When I am watching live TV I can see the 3 tuners in action. However, sometimes I only have two active and one available. How do I get the available tuner to switch to a new program so I have 3 tuners active?

Thanks.

#393 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,204 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

One question. When I am watching live TV I can see the 3 tuners in action. However, sometimes I only have two active and one available. How do I get the available tuner to switch to a new program so I have 3 tuners active?

The third tuner will become active when needed. The Hopper generally consumes two tuners when it is on and nothing is recording (one you are watching and one for the PIP swap). Turn on a Joey or record something and the third tuner will be used.

After that it gets interesting. A second Joey turned on needs a tuner ... so you'll get a tuner selection screen where you can join one of the tuners in use and share that tuner with a Hopper or Joey (or recording). As tuners are needed for recordings live viewers will be bumped off (with warning) to take over those tuners. Recordings can be skipped by the user who sees that warning ... which can be annoying if a recording is lost because someone else in the family skipped it to watch their program. (The same frustration may occur when a live program is interrupted by a recording).

While the system is designed for multiple Joeys per Hopper I prefer multiple Hoppers.

#394 OFFLINE   NightTimeHD

NightTimeHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Just had my Hopper and Joey installed today. (upgrade from 722k and 211)

Things that were run across during the install:

1. Out of the box the Hopper was trying to look at West Arc satellites and the installer had to power cycle it once or twice to resolve.

2. Installer left me a Sling BB Powerline adapter AND luckily a USB Wi-Fi dongle for the internet. I later found the Hopper does not support HomePlug so the Powerline adapter is useless for my install.

3. I installed the USB Wi-FI dongle and was getting an IP address via DHCP but was still getting FAILED message for Server Connection and Internet Connection. Pressing the red RESET button resolved the issue.

4. I had to set up bridging on the Hopper so that the Joey could use the internet from the Hopper.

Thus far, no real issues with operation. I am still tweaking everything a learning about the new receiver.

Later I am going to have to figure out how I am going to get my URC MX-700 remote programmed for the Hopper. The Hopper is has RF enabled but the onscreen help states that the included remote will still use UHF. Not sure how I am going to learn from the new remote if it is UHF only.

#395 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Later I am going to have to figure out how I am going to get my URC MX-700 remote programmed for the Hopper. The Hopper is has RF enabled but the onscreen help states that the included remote will still use UHF. Not sure how I am going to learn from the new remote if it is UHF only.

The Hopper can listen to an IR remote ... unfortunately IR cannot be set for different codes so Hoppers and Joeys that can see the same remote can be a problem (IR can be turned off in settings).

#396 OFFLINE   NightTimeHD

NightTimeHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

The Hopper can listen to an IR remote ... unfortunately IR cannot be set for different codes so Hoppers and Joeys that can see the same remote can be a problem (IR can be turned off in settings).

I figured I would go ahead and just try it before fooling with it and was very surprised to see that everything works just fine with the 722k codes that I learned from the original remote many moons ago.

I did not have to change anything. I have full functionality from the MX-700 with the Hopper. Tossing the Dish remote in a cabinet for safe keeping. :)

#397 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

FYI to anyone out there with 2 722s and switching to 1H & 3J, you will be losing a tv to be only a mirror at all times or wathing dvr/on demand, many of my customers who i go to install this system as an upgrade have no idea and are pretty pissed when they find out, many cancel or fork out the extra cash for another hopper. Also There will never be an OTA adapter for the Hopper/Joey because it will conflict with PTAT when enabled.
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

#398 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

FYI to anyone out there with 2 722s and switching to 1H & 3J, you will be losing a tv to be only a mirror at all times or wathing dvr/on demand, many of my customers who i go to install this system as an upgrade have no idea and are pretty pissed when they find out, many cancel or fork out the extra cash for another hopper. Also There will never be an OTA adapter for the Hopper/Joey because it will conflict with PTAT when enabled.

Uh, so not true it burns.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#399 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

My take posted in another thread:

"The 23 year old "expert" is a DirecTV customer and says he is a Dish installer. We have all experienced some of that knowledge base. I think I'll pass on chaney's assertions."

#400 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,670 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

My take posted in another thread:

"The 23 year old "expert" is a DirecTV customer and says he is a Dish installer. We have all experienced some of that knowledge base. I think I'll pass on chaney's assertions."

I may be a DirecTV subscriber, but even I know that post is a bunch of whoey. How could going from one box to four and lose as much as he says. That's not even logical, not to mention I know enough of how it works to say I know that's not how it works.

spam firewall