Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

So anyone who has had it installed have you seen any problems such as intermittent problems with slowness, freezing, anything like that that often occurs on the bleeding edge?

Anything you like less on Hopper vs. your previous 722/922 DVR?

1) No *real* problems now. Previously, trying to move *protected* recorded shows from the internal drive to the EHD caused problems. Also, a bug that caused some programs to make "empty" recordings appears to have been fixed some time ago - every recording I've made for weeks has been accessible.

2) One peculiar problem with FF when it's cranked up to 60x and 300x in that the HD appears to go WAY faster than the screen does. Not a dealbreaker.

3) There's not a single feature from my 600-series ViP boxes that I miss.

4) I *do* wish ONE feature from my old Dishplayer 7100 was there - one-button recording. It's a minor thing but, in the guide, it's usually two-to-many 'clicks' before a timer gets set. Very minor - I'm *really* reaching for that :) I'll take the ability of my Hopper/Joey setup to handle the daylight savings/Standard time switch ANY day (in 10 years, the Dishplayer never got it right and twice a year I had to re-create all my timers)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

OK, just finished this thread. My head kinda hurts. ;)

I currently have AT250 (fwiw) and a 722 and 2 612s. 3 HDTVs. Right now we often have to shuffle what is being recorded on which DVR because we often have more than two things to record at once. And often my wife will say, e.g., let's watch NCIS! and I'll say, oh, we'll have to move to the other room to watch that, it was recorded on the other DVR. Or move things to an EHD and move that. So a Hopper/Joey system sounds wonderful.

The only real questions I have: 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys? Or 2 Hoppers, 1 Joey? My understanding is that the Hoppers can see each other now? And the Joey could see either Joey? It seems like 2 Hoppers would give us more flexibility in the extra tuners, but #1 priority is that we can watch anything recorded in any of the 3 rooms. How much more would a 2 Hopper/1 Joey system cost me, both up front and monthly? And what are the upsides and downsides to 2 hoppers and 1 Joey?

Thanks!

#403 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I recall I did read all answers above, in the thread ... a few times of each ...

#404 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I recall I did read all answers above, in the thread ... a few times of each ...

If you answered questions as often as you post not answering you'd be a lot more useful. You did the same thing in the other thread, where I asked how much a current user would be charged to get a Hopper and your reply was "The answer is in another thread." Fortunately someone more helpful followed by giving the actual answer in a short reply.

#405 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Up front probably another $99, same cost per month otherwise, both the H and the J are $7 a month.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#406 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

If you answered questions as often as you post not answering you'd be a lot more useful. You did the same thing in the other thread, where I asked how much a current user would be charged to get a Hopper and your reply was "The answer is in another thread." Fortunately someone more helpful followed by giving the actual answer in a short reply.

Then I don't get this: "OK, just finished this thread." and your questions totally contradicting with wealth of the thread. As I see it, you just make it up:"My head kinda hurts".

#407 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Then I don't get this: "OK, just finished this thread." and your questions totally contradicting with wealth of the thread. As I see it, you just make it up:"My head kinda hurts".

After reading the entire thread, I was confused and asked for some clarification.The person above you answered the question in one sentence. You took the time to post twice to - what, appear smart? - and posted absolutely nothing of any worth.

#408 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

I did read the thread and got all answers without asking.

#409 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I did read the thread and got all answers without asking.

When someone asks a question, either answer it or ignore it. You contribute nothing by telling someone they should already know the answer. If you knew the answer, all you had to do was what the poster right after you did: answer it in one sentence.

#410 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

We should finish the ... conversation; perhaps a result will help other newbies:
you stated you did read and got only headache, I said I read also and found answers.

#411 OFFLINE   joetekcor

joetekcor

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Finally was able to upgrade my 622 and 625 to the hopper. Finally sharing TV with the kids so I got 6 TV's connected with 2 Hoppers and 4 Joey's. The installer showed up within a reasonable time and spent about 3 hours setting everything up. He left last night with all of the TV's showing independent channels.
After he left I realized that the internet connection wasn't being shared. I've got one of the hoppers connected to a wired ethernet connection. Thanks to the forum I figured out how to turn bridging on. I've still got a Joey(linked to the bridged hopper) that won't connect to the internet but I need to do some more reading in the forums to figure that out. I've also got one Joey that won't see one of the hoppers. Hoping to work that out because I really want that one linked differently.
Overall I'm very pleased so far. Text is pretty hard to read on the SD TV's. (Might help me persuade the mrs. to let me upgrade them)
Really looking forward to the bluetooth feature being enabled. I'm hoping that will be compatible with my bluetooth headphones.
Now I just need time to go home and mess around with it.

#412 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Since the OTA module is finally available I decided to update my two 622 system to two Hoppers. I had to elicit help from Ray C of the DIRT Team here as neither an on-line chat nor calling Dish put my in contact with a CSR that could order the OTA modules.

As for the install experience, I'll sum it up by saying it was one of the best customer service experiences I've had in quite a while. The tech was very knowledgeable and clearly didn't mind doing some extra work to ensure a solid install. Ray C had to put Joeys on my order for some reason but I just told the tech I didn't want them and he was fine with that - actually he was very happy because he said they've been having problems with new Joey activations the past week or so. He told me they've had to setup temporary Western Arc installs because the Joey's haven't been pulling software down off Eastern Arc. So they setup the dish for WA, let the software download and then switch it to EA, he was happy to not have to deal with the Joeys. He had to run an additional line of Coax in off the dish and while he was at it he replaced the LNB (he said he's been seeing them fail after changing the load on them), re-aimed the dish which improved my signal readings from the high 30s to the mid 60s, and grounded the dish which had never been done before. The only thing he wasn't familiar with on the Hopper setup was the OTA modules (which won't be here until tomorrow) and the External Hard Drive setup. I showed him (thanks to this forum) where the EHD shows up on the DVR menu and he was appreciative to learn that.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the system. I did have a lot of pixelation and drop outs during the football game last night but the signal strengths are all solid in the mid 60s so I don't know what was causing that. PTAT is very cool and I tried out Auto-Hop this morning which is nice as well. I did notice that some programs in the PTAT folder don't offer to do Auto-Hop when I started them though so I need to figure that one out. The only other problem I've seen so far is that the two Hoppers don't seem to re-establish the MOCA bridge after a reboot (either manual or scheduled) and I've had to reset that network to get them to bridge again. I understand this system seems to take a few days to settle in so I'm going to give it some time.

I did get S230 software on both units so my OTA modules should work when I get them tomorrow.

Initial impressions are that the speed is outstanding, the remotes (we use one in a remote bedroom that always struggled with the 622, even with a powered UHF antenna connected to it)) seem to have much better range, watching things of the EHD starts much faster than before and the GUI is pretty intuitive and easy to use. My wife is loving that she can now watch stuff off the other Hopper from the bedroom so that is a feather in my cap as well. I'd also add that changing the setup on both Harmony remotes to use the new receivers was a snap, although it would be nice if the One had the same colored buttons on it that the 900 does.

Next steps are to put multiple EHDs on one of the Hoppers and get my OTA working tomorrow.

#413 OFFLINE   GeneT

GeneT

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Tech came over on Sept 15 to upgrade from 722's to 1H/2J. Whole install took about 3 1/2 hours. He installed the Hopper, then the MBR Joey, and last the MBath Joey. He had a problem with the MBath Joey, but finally got it linked. After he left, we found that the MBath Joey would not power back on, with no Joey screen on the TV. Each time I had to use the Reset button on the Joey. After 3 days I called and the online tech said to shut off bridging. That did not work. Called again and they sent a replacement Joey. I installed it and same problem, once off, the Joeyt would not power back on. They sent out a tech, who re-cabled from a new node. Later, same problem. I switched the new Joey with the one in the MBR. Worked for a day, then, same problem. Two days later they sent another tech, who chenged splitter and made some cable changes. Same problem, but now, instead of only about an hour, the MBath Joey would work for a period of 4 hours to two days, then stop, and require reboot. Tech removed the splitter and changed cables. Same problem, sometimes Joey would work for 2 days, then, would either not come on, or, spontaneously reboot itself. Now, after 2 months of experimenting, they are sending a new Hopper, as a last resort before dropping a new cable all the way from the attic. The problem is only with the MBath Joey.

#414 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

overheating ?

#415 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm glad the installation went well. The Auto Hop feature will only work on nationally broadcast PTAT shows. The red kangaroo will automatically appear after 1 am the following day if it is a nationally broadcast show.

You can have multiple EHDs formatted to your Hopper but we only support 1 EHD connected at a time.

With the OTA module, once you scan the channels and save them to the Hopper, the listing will appear in Yellow in the Guide like our other receivers.

I you continue to experience pixelation, please let me know. Thanks.

Since the OTA module is finally available I decided to update my two 622 system to two Hoppers. I had to elicit help from Ray C of the DIRT Team here as neither an on-line chat nor calling Dish put my in contact with a CSR that could order the OTA modules.

As for the install experience, I'll sum it up by saying it was one of the best customer service experiences I've had in quite a while. The tech was very knowledgeable and clearly didn't mind doing some extra work to ensure a solid install. Ray C had to put Joeys on my order for some reason but I just told the tech I didn't want them and he was fine with that - actually he was very happy because he said they've been having problems with new Joey activations the past week or so. He told me they've had to setup temporary Western Arc installs because the Joey's haven't been pulling software down off Eastern Arc. So they setup the dish for WA, let the software download and then switch it to EA, he was happy to not have to deal with the Joeys. He had to run an additional line of Coax in off the dish and while he was at it he replaced the LNB (he said he's been seeing them fail after changing the load on them), re-aimed the dish which improved my signal readings from the high 30s to the mid 60s, and grounded the dish which had never been done before. The only thing he wasn't familiar with on the Hopper setup was the OTA modules (which won't be here until tomorrow) and the External Hard Drive setup. I showed him (thanks to this forum) where the EHD shows up on the DVR menu and he was appreciative to learn that.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the system. I did have a lot of pixelation and drop outs during the football game last night but the signal strengths are all solid in the mid 60s so I don't know what was causing that. PTAT is very cool and I tried out Auto-Hop this morning which is nice as well. I did notice that some programs in the PTAT folder don't offer to do Auto-Hop when I started them though so I need to figure that one out. The only other problem I've seen so far is that the two Hoppers don't seem to re-establish the MOCA bridge after a reboot (either manual or scheduled) and I've had to reset that network to get them to bridge again. I understand this system seems to take a few days to settle in so I'm going to give it some time.

I did get S230 software on both units so my OTA modules should work when I get them tomorrow.

Initial impressions are that the speed is outstanding, the remotes (we use one in a remote bedroom that always struggled with the 622, even with a powered UHF antenna connected to it)) seem to have much better range, watching things of the EHD starts much faster than before and the GUI is pretty intuitive and easy to use. My wife is loving that she can now watch stuff off the other Hopper from the bedroom so that is a feather in my cap as well. I'd also add that changing the setup on both Harmony remotes to use the new receivers was a snap, although it would be nice if the One had the same colored buttons on it that the 900 does.

Next steps are to put multiple EHDs on one of the Hoppers and get my OTA working tomorrow.

#416 OFFLINE   GeneT

GeneT

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

overheating ?

It doesn't appear to be overheating. I have Joey set in stand on end and there is 6"+ around it and nothing above. That was my original concern, those things DO get hot ! But I switched Joeys and it didn't make a difference. I found two other instances of this problem in this thread, one was never resolved, and the other was resolved by replacing the Hopper (twice).

Edited by GeneT, 20 November 2012 - 01:21 PM.
add

#417 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm glad the installation went well. The Auto Hop feature will only work on nationally broadcast PTAT shows. The red kangaroo will automatically appear after 1 am the following day if it is a nationally broadcast show.

You can have multiple EHDs formatted to your Hopper but we only support 1 EHD connected at a time.

With the OTA module, once you scan the channels and save them to the Hopper, the listing will appear in Yellow in the Guide like our other receivers.

I you continue to experience pixelation, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks Ray, I'll do some more reading in some of the PTAT specific forums but I'm still confused about the "Nationally Broadcast" show requirement. For instance "60 Minutes" is what I would call a nationally broadcast show but it does not have the autohop feature enabled for it.

#418 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have a USB hub and the hopper recognizes the three EHDs I have attached to it. Previously I used a manual USB switch so I would only select one EHD at a time, however, current software recognizes more than one EHD on the hopper. Am I wrong?

#419 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

you are not, many members reported same

#420 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

There are several things that work but are not supported. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...