Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   hdcl

hdcl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

I just had my new 2 Hopper - 3 Joey installation today and it went well overall. All the software updates installed fine and every Joey can now see both Hoppers and vice versa.

The only 3 hitches are:

1) The technician swore there is no way to share an Internet connection between Hoppers. I have one Hopper hooked up via Ethernet. He insisted on connecting the second Hopper via wireless USB dongle. Even after this, each Joey cannot see the Internet. I saw another thread about turning on bridging which I will try tomorrow (Yellow Hot Key, Select Network, Select Broadband, Select MoCA from drop down, Blue Hot Key twice.)

2) I can't get either Hopper to see the hard wired phone line it is connected to (I posted a separate thread about this - I need the Caller ID to work)

3) The Home Media DLNA can't seem to play vanilla WMV files that almost any player on a PC can play. It plays exotic MP4 and HD encoded video just fine, but not WMV.

Other than that, PTAT seemed to work great even on Day 1 (the installation finshed around 4:00 PM my time) which I have read was a bit flaky for others right after installation.

The programming archived on my previous EHD from my 722 was readily playable. I am transfering some files off of EHD to one of the Hoppers overnight and will see if that works OK.

There is a bit of learning how to do things differently around timers and DVR access (which is frustrating my wife) but I have been pretty happy with the system so far.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Regarding hitch # 1 we have 1 hopper connected to ethernet and bridging enabled and it seems to be working properly. Enabling bridging was not that easy even with the instructions available here. Maybe I just was doing it wrong but it took me a few tries to get it to enable.

Caller ID is working on the hopper that has a phone line connected, but not the other Hopper that doesn't. I gues that does not get shared.

#423 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

You need to activate the feature on the Joey for Caller ID to work. Thanks.

Regarding hitch # 1 we have 1 hopper connected to ethernet and bridging enabled and it seems to be working properly. Enabling bridging was not that easy even with the instructions available here. Maybe I just was doing it wrong but it took me a few tries to get it to enable.

Caller ID is working on the hopper that has a phone line connected, but not the other Hopper that doesn't. I gues that does not get shared.

#424 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Hopper/Joey receivers.

Enable Caller ID on each receiver for it to work.
Enable bridging to share the Internet connection with the other receivers.
The Hoppper supports JPEG and MP3 file formats for Home Media.

If you have any questions about the features or the use of your receivers, please let me know. Thanks.

I just had my new 2 Hopper - 3 Joey installation today and it went well overall. All the software updates installed fine and every Joey can now see both Hoppers and vice versa.

The only 3 hitches are:

1) The technician swore there is no way to share an Internet connection between Hoppers. I have one Hopper hooked up via Ethernet. He insisted on connecting the second Hopper via wireless USB dongle. Even after this, each Joey cannot see the Internet. I saw another thread about turning on bridging which I will try tomorrow (Yellow Hot Key, Select Network, Select Broadband, Select MoCA from drop down, Blue Hot Key twice.)

2) I can't get either Hopper to see the hard wired phone line it is connected to (I posted a separate thread about this - I need the Caller ID to work)

3) The Home Media DLNA can't seem to play vanilla WMV files that almost any player on a PC can play. It plays exotic MP4 and HD encoded video just fine, but not WMV.

Other than that, PTAT seemed to work great even on Day 1 (the installation finshed around 4:00 PM my time) which I have read was a bit flaky for others right after installation.

The programming archived on my previous EHD from my 722 was readily playable. I am transfering some files off of EHD to one of the Hoppers overnight and will see if that works OK.

There is a bit of learning how to do things differently around timers and DVR access (which is frustrating my wife) but I have been pretty happy with the system so far.

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 30 November 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#425 OFFLINE   hdcl

hdcl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Hopper/Joey receivers.

Enable Caller ID on each receiver for it to work.
Enable bridging to share the Internet connection with the other receivers.
The Hoppper supports JPEG and MP3 file formats for Home Media.

If you have any questions about the features or the use of your receivers, please let me know. Thanks.

I setup bridging on the ethernet connected Hopper, disconnected the WiFi dongle from the other Hopper and everything seems to be working fine now. All Hoppers and Joeys are Internet connected. The only feedback would be to train the installation techs on how to do this and not hide the bridging function with the hidden key presses (blue button twice).

On the media front - Audio and JPG images are displaying fine. I am having trouble playing standard WMV video files.

#426 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Just called in today to upgrade my 722 to a hopper + joey
I added the 7 dollar/mo protection fee so I could avoid the ~95 dollar install fee. It seemed like a no-brainer to do so.

Question: When they install the joey, will they run the coax to another room or just tell me that's not included in the install? In other words, will they crawl in my basement and/or attic and run the cable?

Also, what's the best place to get the sling adapter. I noticed on amazon it's about 50 bucks.

Oh, one more question, is NBC nightly news included in prime time TV? I think it's just before prime time but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks bros :)

#427 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Just called in today to upgrade my 722 to a hopper + joey
I added the 7 dollar/mo protection fee so I could avoid the ~95 dollar install fee. It seemed like a no-brainer to do so.

Question: When they install the joey, will they run the coax to another room or just tell me that's not included in the install? In other words, will they crawl in my basement and/or attic and run the cable?

Also, what's the best place to get the sling adapter. I noticed on amazon it's about 50 bucks.

Oh, one more question, is NBC nightly news included in prime time TV? I think it's just before prime time but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks bros :)

The coax run for the Joey should be included.

DISH sells the Sling adapter: http://www.mydish.co.../sling-adapter/

National nightly news is not considered prime time.

#428 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I setup bridging on the ethernet connected Hopper, disconnected the WiFi dongle from the other Hopper and everything seems to be working fine now. All Hoppers and Joeys are Internet connected. The only feedback would be to train the installation techs on how to do this and not hide the bridging function with the hidden key presses (blue button twice). On the media front - Audio and JPG images are displaying fine. I am having trouble playing standard WMV video files.

Yeah this is a real head scratcher why they would do this.

#429 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

The coax run for the Joey should be included.

DISH sells the Sling adapter: http://www.mydish.co.../sling-adapter/

National nightly news is not considered prime time.

Thanks!

#430 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

6 days ago my new Hopper was installed. Everything went smoothly and the install took about 2 hours. The phone connection, internet connection and latest firmware and software download went smoothly. I have had no problems since the install.

My impressions of the Hopper are very positive compared with my 622. The remote control works great and I do not miss my programmable remote. The remote is controlling the dvr, tv and dvd. Button presses on this remote are buffered. This means I can press the "skip 30 sec button" 6 times (quickly) and skip forward 3 minutes virtually instantaneously.
The dvr harddisk and computer are fast. At 300X it will fast forward through half time 1-2 seconds faster than the 622.
The Primetime feature is nice and I use it. There are a lot of Christmas specials this time of year and this feature makes it easy to watch them.
I use the application (forgot the name) for finding and recording sporting events useful. I run it every morning. It saves a lot of time reading schedules. I haven't used the remote programming yet from MyDish. It looks handy.
The Ad skip feature has worked flawless except for the show 20/20. Local ads displayed but skip took care of that (one press).
The guide is nice and has lots of improvements. The button color interface is a big help in moving around the guide.

I could go on quite a bit more but in summary I'm giving the upgrade a thumbs up!
Fred

#431 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

good summary fwampler

I can't wait to share my install and user experience in the coming weeks.

#432 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thank you. I did try the remote dvr schedule from the internet and it works flawlessly. I'm impressed with Dish I must say.
Fred

#433 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thank you for sharing your installation experience with others. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you. I did try the remote dvr schedule from the internet and it works flawlessly. I'm impressed with Dish I must say.

#434 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

I am currently on a local cable provider. They have a PVR with 4 devices at a time. I have 3 additional TVs hooked up through standard cable. I can possibly run another 4 room PVR if I want to bring the other 3 TVs to have full access to all the channels.

I only pay $105 after my multi-product discount. I can add a few more tuners for $20-30. Below is what I am being told my cost will be to switch to DISH. I am hoping someone else knows of other discounts as it seems to be pricey to switch in that I am expected to pay $460.40 upfront to switch and then pay $94 a month for a year and $119 a month after a year. So, I would be paying $15 more a month for Dish for 8 vs 4 TVs with HDTV tuners and PVR. The monthly fee seems ok, but after I factor in $461 that is like paying another $40/mo for a year or $20/mo for two years.

So, I am being told that the monthly fees are as follows. $7/mo per Joey and Hopper (I guess one is free). $7 X 7= $49, $34.95 200 Channel, $10 PVR fee; so net $93.99/mo. 200 channel goes up to $59.99 after the first year; 118.99/mo.

Setup fees are $461 after a $50 referral discount. So, does that mean it is $99 for each Joey (3) and $199 for each Hopper (1); $498.97 - $50 referral? I am not clear on install fees. Also, some resellers/installers are offering a $75 cash back.

I think the install fees are my sticking point, since monthly I am just a little higher than cable ($15 to get 4 additional TV on PVR). Can anyone tell me how to save anything more on monthly fees and the install fees (MOST IMPORTANT)?

Also, if my cable box dies or remote, my cable company just installs a new one free of charge. How does that work with Dish? Will they replace any Joeys or Hoppers that are not working for free? I keep reading about some protection program for $6/mo., but that gives you a discount on install. Why do I need that and what discount?

I know I need to pay the $49 for the Sling, but that I am ok with it for the streaming for fun on my phone and tablets in my house and on the road. Do I need it for the remote control feature on my android phone?

Edited by Howard Polack, 18 December 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#435 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

Should be 1 Hopper + 2 Joeys (I believe that's the 'standard install') for free, each additional Hopper is $199 and each additional Joey $99 (can possibly be $49, which is what the configurator on the Dish site tells me).

They'll replace receivers for free, remotes are charged for but they're cheap and plentiful on eBay. The Protection Plan makes a truck roll $15 instead of $99 when they're needed.

You don't need the Sling adapter to use the Dish app to schedule recordings, etc.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#436 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I know they will give the the first Hopper and three Joeys for free for an install, at least for me. Then it is a matter of what they charge for the other Hopper and three Joeys. One person told me that they recently lowered the price to $99 for either Joey or Hopper and somewhere else I read Joeys at $49.

I just don't want to pay the $400-500 to make the switch as that is a higher cost for me than just adding another DVR through my cable company. I guess I would be willing to pay $250 because of the improved equipment.

Any other ways of getting a discount would be appreciated both on the monthly and the installation fees.

Maybe we should turn this into how to find discounts posting for Hopper/Joeys

#437 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

There aren't really any other ways. What you pay is what you pay. You can purchase them yourself up front but that's not much of a savings.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#438 OFFLINE   hdcl

hdcl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I only ended up paying $100 for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. I had to sign up for the monthly protection plan to save $95 (it was $195 otherwise). The intial conversation started at over $350 of up front charges. The difference between your situation is that I have been a DISH customer for 11+ years so maybe that helped.

On the other hand I have usually seen better deals for NEW customers vs. existing customers to I think if you get the right DISH CSR on the phone you can negotiate with them on the up front cost.

#439 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Had one hopper + joey installed a few days ago. Dish guy arrived earlier (because he said the first install of the day didn't answer their door).

Installation went smoothly and I couldn't be happier. I love the new hopper but I have noticed it glitch up once already. So I still gotta wait until I officially say it's as good or better than my previous 722. Because the 722 was rock solid.

He installed a wifi adapter to the hopper because he said the ethernet wasn't reliable. Kinda surprising. I have a router right next to the hopper so it seemed liked a waste. Any info on this?

Overall I'm happy :)

#440 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Oh, and I'm definitely gonna try the ethernet in a few days. Waiting on this denon receiver to arrive first :)

spam firewall