Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   hdcl

hdcl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Definitely use ethernet if the router is close. Also see my earlier post in this thread about turning on network bridging so that all your Hoppers/Joeys can share the internet connection.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

cool, thanks hdcl I will look into that!

#443 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think this goes outside the scope of "how did the installation go", but I think it works here? I have become very interested in switching from cable because my wife hates the cables "whole home DVR". It freezes, glitches, and so on. My concern is about all of what I read about the quality of the HD being "soft" and ghosting. I keep reading that the Hopper video quality does no show the fine detail that a bluray or even cable (lessor) shows. I understand that it is 1080i for the most part, but I can see wrinkles and sweat or individual hairs on my 12 ft projection and my 55" LED. I don't want to loose quality if I can help it. There is a lot being said that it is lost in the compression. Especially on the prime time stations.

Any thoughts on this to alleviate my concerns since I would have to sign up for 2 years?

#444 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Can you break down how much you paid for what for the setup. Such as $49 a joey and $99 for one of the Hoppers. That will help me in my negotiations.

#445 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I think this goes outside the scope of "how did the installation go", but I think it works here? I have become very interested in switching from cable because my wife hates the cables "whole home DVR". It freezes, glitches, and so on. My concern is about all of what I read about the quality of the HD being "soft" and ghosting. I keep reading that the Hopper video quality does no show the fine detail that a bluray or even cable (lessor) shows. I understand that it is 1080i for the most part, but I can see wrinkles and sweat or individual hairs on my 12 ft projection and my 55" LED. I don't want to loose quality if I can help it. There is a lot being said that it is lost in the compression. Especially on the prime time stations.

Any thoughts on this to alleviate my concerns since I would have to sign up for 2 years?

Cable's quality is nearly invariably less than that of Dish. They have a higher compression rate due to having much less bandwidth to use than satellite.

That's about all I can say. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary on any of my HDTVs; the Hopper was noticeably better than the 922.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#446 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

I only ended up paying $100 for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. I had to sign up for the monthly protection plan to save $95 (it was $195 otherwise). The intial conversation started at over $350 of up front charges. The difference between your situation is that I have been a DISH customer for 11+ years so maybe that helped.

On the other hand I have usually seen better deals for NEW customers vs. existing customers to I think if you get the right DISH CSR on the phone you can negotiate with them on the up front cost.

Cable's quality is nearly invariably less than that of Dish. They have a higher compression rate due to having much less bandwidth to use than satellite.

That's about all I can say. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary on any of my HDTVs; the Hopper was noticeably better than the 922.

I see in your configuration that you are using Google TV and logitech Revue. Does the joey or menuing system work with Google TV. I have been considering buying a VIZIO Co-Star.

Also, I understand someone says the clarity really goes away when someone is walking or running such that you can see facial feature on the DISH. Again trying to get facts versus fiction.

#447 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

The Google TV overlays the Joey. It works fine. I'm not sure what you're asking about facial features. It's HD. It doesn't get macroblocky and mushy like on my in-laws' cable tv.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#448 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I could not setup PrimeTime Anytime - Called D tech support - was told I can not use it as my locals are not in HD because they are on SAT 129 which I cannot get - So if you plan to get the Hopper system check and make sure your locals are in HD -

#449 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

I could not setup PrimeTime Anytime - Called D tech support - was told I can not use it as my locals are not in HD because they are on SAT 129 which I cannot get - So if you plan to get the Hopper system check and make sure your locals are in HD -

Youngstown Ohio local channels are in HD and are on 129. You just need to figure out a way of getting that signal (for your HD locals as well as any other channels you are missing by not having 129).

Following your suggestion and calling and asking if Youngstown locals were in HD would have ended up with a "yes" answer.

#450 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

I setup bridging on the ethernet connected Hopper, disconnected the WiFi dongle from the other Hopper and everything seems to be working fine now. All Hoppers and Joeys are Internet connected. The only feedback would be to train the installation techs on how to do this and not hide the bridging function with the hidden key presses (blue button twice).

On the media front - Audio and JPG images are displaying fine. I am having trouble playing standard WMV video files.

Yeah this is a real head scratcher why they would do this.

Sorry to state the obvious, but I think you are saying that if you connect via an Ethernet cable that bridging between two hoppers is not turned on until you press the blue button twice? I have disconnected the cable and ran it off my internal network, but the "Grey Menu" under the DVR where I can change between Hoppers goes a way after a while. I have seen it there and working sometimes after making the switch to Ethernet, but eventually it is not there. Also, under "Whole-Home" when I first switch to the Ethernet cable, I can change which Hopper the Ethernet Joey is linked to, but after an hour, it shows them, but won't switch. Are you pressing the blue button twice on a particular screen? Are you talking about turning on the Bridging on the Hopper? Do you think I should turn on Bridging on BOTH Hoppers?

Edited by Howard Polack, 07 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#451 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

You only need 1 Hopper connected to the Internet and only need Bridging enabled on the one with the Internet connection. If you have briding enabled on both Hoppers that are connected to the same network, that can cause issues.

#452 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I setup bridging on the ethernet connected Hopper, disconnected the WiFi dongle from the other Hopper and everything seems to be working fine now. All Hoppers and Joeys are Internet connected. The only feedback would be to train the installation techs on how to do this and not hide the bridging function with the hidden key presses (blue button twice).

On the media front - Audio and JPG images are displaying fine. I am having trouble playing standard WMV video files.

Why will it cause issues? If each hopper has its on bridging capabilities, it will provide bridging for whatever hopper it is linked and not bother to bridge and route back through the MOCA to the second hopper saving a step.

#453 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Why will it cause issues? If each hopper has its on bridging capabilities, it will provide bridging for whatever hopper it is linked and not bother to bridge and route back through the MOCA to the second hopper saving a step.

If you have two hoppers and both hard wired like I do, then enable bridging on both hoppers and let it go for a while. I had all sorts of stability issues until I disabled bridging on one of my hoppers as per the advice of the dish software team.

#454 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Ok, thanks for the advice.

#455 OFFLINE   bryant

bryant

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Well, thought I'd give something new a try. I ordered a Hopper w/ Sling & 2 Joey's. Installer came over the weekend & we had LOS issues. Bummer! I'm going to trim back the tree a bit tomorrow & we're going to try this again on Wednesday.

We've been with Uverse since 2008 and in all honesty, I've been incredibly happy with them. However, we've been itching for a solution that would give us access to our DVR content from our mobile devices & also allow my wife to watch some of her shows on her iPad offline.

I've got my fingers crossed that this will work out!

#456 OFFLINE   bryant

bryant

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

To follow-up, the second installer came by last week. He said he wouldn't even attempt to install western arc at my house but that I had zero LOS issues to eastern arc if we placed the dish in a different location.

I actually like where he placed the dish better as I can get to it with a short ladder in the event I would need to (I actually had to use the snow brush on it this morning, but that should be rare).

So far I've been happy with the hopper overall. PTAT's a nice feature, the sling options are fantastic and the UI is very responsive. It's a bit of adjustment using the icons instead of lists, but so far I don't really prefer one over the other. The only thing that's come up 1 time is that PTAT was doing its thing, but it was recording nothing we watch, there was another show recording that we usually watch later in the week, I was watching live TV in the living room and my wife wanted to watch live TV on another channel in the bedroom. That's a scenario I didn't accurately account for when deciding if 3 tuners would be enough compared to the "4" we had. But like I said, I think that will be a fairly rare occurrence.

#457 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

I just had my 922 (OMG THAT THING WAS A PAIN) and 722 replaced with 2 hoppers on Tuesday the 9th. The installation by "Via Satellite" was very professionally performed. I had removed the receivers prior to the start, along with the DPP44 switch and power inserter and had labeled the cables. The installer put the duo node on the floor joist below the living room, and the wires were all neatly routed. Best installer I've had so far (and I have been an echostar user since way back in the day of mpeg-2 and the 3000).

Things have so far gone swimmingly - with a couple of minor glitches. I was familiar with the menus as a consequence of my love/hate relationship over the last year or so with my cantankerous 922. It used to get stuck in "duo" mode (we never set it to duo, it did this on its own) and we had to power cycle to recover. The sling feature *never* worked right, and it also put the receiver into "duo" mode whenever someone used it.  :bang

My system now consists of a 1000.4 aimed at the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72, 77) feeding the duo node with one hopper in the downstairs living room, one in the upstairs master bath and a joey that will end up in the front guest bedroom. For now the joey is sitting next to the hopper in the living room - attached to a small monitor just for test purposes. 

The first issue I noted was that I was unable to restore my timers from the 922 remote to the hopper. Bummer. Fortunately I took photos with my phone of all the timer screens, so I knew what I had to restore. There is a twist, however. Many of the timers would now be "covered" by PTAT. So I did not need to set timers for those. Unfortunately the photos of the timer displays did not show channel numbers, so I had to figure out which were not covered by PTAT. I used a web search of the program names to determine this. No big deal, and it gives me an opportunity to exercise the new menus a bit. I enabled PTAT and then from my list of channels began to search for instances in the guide from which to configure timers.

The second issue I noticed was that this hopper in the living room showed "no information" in all the local channels beginning 90 minutes from now out through the entire guide. All the other channels were fine, only the locals (including PBS) showed no info. I tried reset and power cycle, and switch check - all to no avail. I called Dish. The young lady I spoke to heard only the first and last words "no" and "locals" and skipped the intervening words "information in the guide for". She began to ask me questions relevant to not having any local channels. I tried in vain to re-program her for the actual problem, but she persisted with this checklist. One of the last items she asked was that I put the receiver into standby and wait about 20 minutes and try again. This sounded to me like it might also be beneficial for guide fetch. so rather than argue with her I thanked her for her suggestion and disconnected. Then I tried it. I was happy to see it begin to download guide information. Surely this would solve it. Alas, no. Still "no info" - only on the local channels.

I checked the upstairs hopper - no such problem! It had all the guide info.

I don't know why I tried this - because surely it couldn't have any bearing on the issue - but...  I exited the guide with its "no info" in locals and pressed "swap" to go to the other tuner. Then I pressed the guide button again and *voila* - all the information was there for the local channels. ?!?!?! Anyone want to take a stab at why "swap" affects the guide information? By the way, swapping again (and again) did not make it go away. It is as though something was stuck somewhere - and pressing swap unstuck it.

The third issue I noticed was that "search" did not work on either hopper. I was familiar with the methodology from having used it on my 922. But on the hoppers it was doing nothing at all. I would select "program guide" in the filters at the top, and no matter what I put in the search box nothing happened. I was very frustrated by this, but figured maybe if I left it alone it would correct itself. It did. The next morning it worked exactly as expected. This is the sort of thing that might cause an inexperienced Dish user to freak out and declare their newly installed hopper to be a POC compared to their old DTV system. I don't know why it didn't work initially (or for hours after install), and it may not be easily replicated for software engineers to fix it.

The fourth little issue I have observed is that the "Dish Explorer" app on my iPad can't connect to the hopper - unless I first run the hopper "Transfers" app! When I first tried to pair "Explorer" to the hopper, it hung after entering in the 6-digit number. The hopper "paired devices" screen shows successful pairing however. I killed the app and tried again. Now when I first launch the explorer app, it says "looking for Living Room" (the name of my downstairs hopper). It then says "connecting" for a long time, then "unable to connect - looking for other hoppers" which never seems to complete. This behavior is repeatable whenever I open the explorer app. I gave up on this and tried the transfer app. After successfully pairing, "Transfers" connects just fine to my "Living Room" hopper - and this successful connection is repeatable. Having successfully run "Transfers", I again launched the Explorer app and it immediately connected to the hopper and was fully functional!

I can repeat this entire scenario at any time by stopping both apps on my iPad - after which Explorer will not connect until Transfers has already connected.

This one seems very odd. I would expect that both apps use the exact same methodology to locate and connect to the hopper over my Wifi/LAN. One works, and the other does not (until something is established by the other app - then it too will work).

Perhaps the programmer of "Explorer" should copy the connect code from the programmer of "Transfers". 

At least I have a work-around that gets me connected 100% of the time.

Aside from these little glitches (three of which are now resolved, and the fourth of which I can work around), I am so far very happy with the performance of the system. I am able to watch recordings made on either hopper on the other hopper (or the joey). I am able to watch live TV or any live program at my office on my iPad via the "Dish Anywhere" app. I am able to control my hoppers from the iPad using the "Explorer" app while watching TV at home - but only if I first launch the "Transfers" app.

I suspect these issues might be enough to put a new user off the product - or at least cause them to curse about it, but after my past experiences with DishPlayer and the 922, the dual-hopper setup is absolutely awesome. Of course I may be setting myself up for a fall - this is only day 2.  :smoking:

Edited by JimD, 11 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#458 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

A newly installed Hopper/Joey has additional software that must update to get the full functionality of the receivers (usually take 24-48 hours).  This is the reason for the search issue.  There is a known issue with the Hopper transfers and pairing to the Hopper w/Sling.   A workaround is using the pairing wizard.  All receivers must be idle for the guide to update.  Please let me know if you continue to experience issues with your Hopper.  Thanks.

I just had my 922 (OMG THAT THING WAS A PAIN) and 722 replaced with 2 hoppers on Tuesday the 9th. The installation by "Via Satellite" was very professionally performed. I had removed the receivers prior to the start, along with the DPP44 switch and power inserter and had labeled the cables. The installer put the duo node on the floor joist below the living room, and the wires were all neatly routed. Best installer I've had so far (and I have been an echostar user since way back in the day of mpeg-2 and the 3000).

Things have so far gone swimmingly - with a couple of minor glitches. I was familiar with the menus as a consequence of my love/hate relationship over the last year or so with my cantankerous 922. It used to get stuck in "duo" mode (we never set it to duo, it did this on its own) and we had to power cycle to recover. The sling feature *never* worked right, and it also put the receiver into "duo" mode whenever someone used it.  :bang

My system now consists of a 1000.4 aimed at the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72, 77) feeding the duo node with one hopper in the downstairs living room, one in the upstairs master bath and a joey that will end up in the front guest bedroom. For now the joey is sitting next to the hopper in the living room - attached to a small monitor just for test purposes. 

The first issue I noted was that I was unable to restore my timers from the 922 remote to the hopper. Bummer. Fortunately I took photos with my phone of all the timer screens, so I knew what I had to restore. There is a twist, however. Many of the timers would now be "covered" by PTAT. So I did not need to set timers for those. Unfortunately the photos of the timer displays did not show channel numbers, so I had to figure out which were not covered by PTAT. I used a web search of the program names to determine this. No big deal, and it gives me an opportunity to exercise the new menus a bit. I enabled PTAT and then from my list of channels began to search for instances in the guide from which to configure timers.

The second issue I noticed was that this hopper in the living room showed "no information" in all the local channels beginning 90 minutes from now out through the entire guide. All the other channels were fine, only the locals (including PBS) showed no info. I tried reset and power cycle, and switch check - all to no avail. I called Dish. The young lady I spoke to heard only the first and last words "no" and "locals" and skipped the intervening words "information in the guide for". She began to ask me questions relevant to not having any local channels. I tried in vain to re-program her for the actual problem, but she persisted with this checklist. One of the last items she asked was that I put the receiver into standby and wait about 20 minutes and try again. This sounded to me like it might also be beneficial for guide fetch. so rather than argue with her I thanked her for her suggestion and disconnected. Then I tried it. I was happy to see it begin to download guide information. Surely this would solve it. Alas, no. Still "no info" - only on the local channels.

I checked the upstairs hopper - no such problem! It had all the guide info.

I don't know why I tried this - because surely it couldn't have any bearing on the issue - but...  I exited the guide with its "no info" in locals and pressed "swap" to go to the other tuner. Then I pressed the guide button again and *voila* - all the information was there for the local channels. ?!?!?! Anyone want to take a stab at why "swap" affects the guide information? By the way, swapping again (and again) did not make it go away. It is as though something was stuck somewhere - and pressing swap unstuck it.

The third issue I noticed was that "search" did not work on either hopper. I was familiar with the methodology from having used it on my 922. But on the hoppers it was doing nothing at all. I would select "program guide" in the filters at the top, and no matter what I put in the search box nothing happened. I was very frustrated by this, but figured maybe if I left it alone it would correct itself. It did. The next morning it worked exactly as expected. This is the sort of thing that might cause an inexperienced Dish user to freak out and declare their newly installed hopper to be a POC compared to their old DTV system. I don't know why it didn't work initially (or for hours after install), and it may not be easily replicated for software engineers to fix it.

The fourth little issue I have observed is that the "Dish Explorer" app on my iPad can't connect to the hopper - unless I first run the hopper "Transfers" app! When I first tried to pair "Explorer" to the hopper, it hung after entering in the 6-digit number. The hopper "paired devices" screen shows successful pairing however. I killed the app and tried again. Now when I first launch the explorer app, it says "looking for Living Room" (the name of my downstairs hopper). It then says "connecting" for a long time, then "unable to connect - looking for other hoppers" which never seems to complete. This behavior is repeatable whenever I open the explorer app. I gave up on this and tried the transfer app. After successfully pairing, "Transfers" connects just fine to my "Living Room" hopper - and this successful connection is repeatable. Having successfully run "Transfers", I again launched the Explorer app and it immediately connected to the hopper and was fully functional!

I can repeat this entire scenario at any time by stopping both apps on my iPad - after which Explorer will not connect until Transfers has already connected.

This one seems very odd. I would expect that both apps use the exact same methodology to locate and connect to the hopper over my Wifi/LAN. One works, and the other does not (until something is established by the other app - then it too will work).

Perhaps the programmer of "Explorer" should copy the connect code from the programmer of "Transfers". 

At least I have a work-around that gets me connected 100% of the time.

Aside from these little glitches (three of which are now resolved, and the fourth of which I can work around), I am so far very happy with the performance of the system. I am able to watch recordings made on either hopper on the other hopper (or the joey). I am able to watch live TV or any live program at my office on my iPad via the "Dish Anywhere" app. I am able to control my hoppers from the iPad using the "Explorer" app while watching TV at home - but only if I first launch the "Transfers" app.

I suspect these issues might be enough to put a new user off the product - or at least cause them to curse about it, but after my past experiences with DishPlayer and the 922, the dual-hopper setup is absolutely awesome. Of course I may be setting myself up for a fall - this is only day 2.  :smoking:

#459 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

There is a known issue with the Hopper transfers and pairing to the Hopper w/Sling.   A workaround is using the pairing wizard.  All receivers must be idle for the guide to update. 

1) I had no problem with the hopper transfers app. I had a problem with the explorer app. The transfers app works fine every time.

2) The problem I had with explorer app had nothing to do with pairing. It is *after* pairing, during the connection phase, that the explorer app fails to connect unless the transfers app is already connected. The pairing wizard will be useless as a remedy to this issue.

3) The receiver was not only idle - it was in standby - and it *did* download the guide, I watched it do this. It slowly worked its way up to 95%, and that last 5% seemed to take forever. When the guide download finished, there was *still* no local channel guide info. The event which caused the local guide info to appear immediately was the pressing of the swap button on the remote. This was done some minutes after the guide download had completed and the receiver had been brought out of standby.

Tonight I went through the same pairing process of the explorer app on the other hopper, after which it failed to connect. I paired the transfer app, and it connected immediately. Once the transfer app was connected, the explorer app connected without issue. This behavior is identical to the way the hopper downstairs behaved with my iPad. It is consistent with the way the hopper downstairs behaved with my wife's iPad. I am 99.9% sure the behavior will be identical with the upstairs hopper and my wife's iPad - but we've not yet paired them. I will update when we do so.

As I stated previously, I am still elated with the hoppers after 2 days. The only ongoing issue is the inability to connect the explorer app without first connecting the transfer app - but honestly I may not use the explorer app all that much. It does not seem to afford any value-add over the remote other than to allow browsing the guide or DVR while the TV displays a full-screen program.

#460 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Jim,

I think it would more appropriate (after you'll find what FW is running) move your posts to other dedicated thread, where are bugs of particular FW version is discussing. The thread is more about installs ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...