Ordered via chat on Sunday night 07/21... was on chat for over an hour due to my indecision... agent was very nice..
I originally inquired about 2 Hoppers + 1 Joey... I asked what I would not be able to do without both Hoppers having Sling.. she said adding a second HWS would increase the number of devices I could connect at once..
I decided to pass on the second HWS, so I placed an order for 2 Hoppers (one HWS) and 1 Joey. Gave all information, including email, etc.
Went smoothly.. did some more research that night and found out I would only be able to transfer form the one HWS (and that was the difference...) Install set up for today, 07/23
In the morning, on Monday, I went on chat again and asked to update to 2 HWS + 1 Joey... no issues, paid the difference. I also asked why I still hadn't gotten an email conversation... as I was on chat, I checked my profile and saw my email as noemail at dish dot com... I gave the chat CSR my email again, and asked for an order confirmation.. I was told that since they already sent it (to the default no email address) they could not resend the order confirmation... they said the order was fine, and I could confirm with the installer... but they insisted not to worry...
i got my email install appointment note later on Monday night, with the time setup of Tues 8a-12p.
Got the call at 7:30 from Dish this morning saying window was 8-9:30.... got another email at 9am pushing back to 9-10:30.
He got here at 9:50... nice, wearing shorts, a little scruffy..
As he came in he confirmed my order was for 2 HWS and 2 Joeys.. I explained that I had only ordered one Joey... he said I would have to take it or he couldn't finish the install, and I would have to call dish myself and return the unwanted Joey..
I said fine..
My house has been wired for Directv for years, and I have ethernet run to all rooms from my home office router... so it was a simple install as the RG6 was already in place in all rooms.. the receivers were plug and go, and I told him he could use the mast from the DTV dish..
He first went up to the roof and got to work.... not a big deal, but he was smoking while installing the dish, which sits on the roof right above my office, so the smell wasn't appreciated.
He then plugged in the HWS's and started them up to download the software...
He never confirmed the signal strength via the STB's.. (I'll get into that in a bit...)
Rest of it went smoothly, about 2 hours total... I was curious how he knew which of the legs in my attic was for the Joey, as they weren't labeled... It's all working, but curious because he only accessed the coax in my theater for the Joey after he plugged the Joey in...
After the Joey activated, he said he was able to take care of the "extra" Joey and he didn't have to leave it with me to take care of.
Again, very pleasant, and he was only here around 90 minutes.. just a couple of nit picks (appearance, smoking)
I had thoroughly researched the system, so I sent him off without any of the regular show me around presentation.
My only concern about the install is my signal level... I live in the foothills of LA, on a hill with no obstructions whatsoever, with clear LOS to the south horizon of Southern California.
My Directv numbers were routinely in the 90's...
I checked the dish pointing screen..
129 Tran 23: 52
129 Tran 29: 49
119 Tran 01: 92
119 Tran 10: 59
119 Tran 09: 63
119 Tran 21: 72
110 Tran 01: 61
110 Tran 10: 63
110 Tran 21: 69
Don't know if I need another tech to tweak the alignment..
Just a couple of quick observations coming from DirecTV (and we had U-Verse for 3 months so I have a good basis for comparison of picture quality..)
Dish HD is really good... color reproduction seems spot on. The are a little more compression artifacts on some programming (clay face, etc) and it could easily be the source...
I immediately noticed on NBC some of the same kind of detail loss in backgrounds, jaggies on text, etc. that I saw with U-Verse vs. DTV.. however, it is much less apparent with Dish, and motion seems smooth, with no real worries from me about it...
Dish is definitely a hair softer from normal viewing distance. but it won't diminish my viewing enjoyment.
I got a couple of emails after the install, and then inexplicably got an email saying my email had been changed back to the "noemail at dish dot com" address.. logged into My DIsh, changed it back again to my proper address, and logged out... we will see if this is a trend.
A couple of nit picks (and I knew about most of these going in..)
1. A unified DVR list would be great... why I can't see all the recordings at once... (I do like that i can delete from either Hopper.) But having to train the family that if they want to watch PTAT downstairs they have to manually change DVR's from the list... DTV has a unified list (I had three DVR's, so it was nice to have each list be the same..)
And why isn't it persistent.... do I need to switch every time I go into the DVR menu?
2. I would like to have a preference to record "New Only" or "New and Old" in the Timer Defaults... buffers and how many to keep is great, but why do I have to change every series to "New Only?"
3. The Search is hard to use... when searching for NEWSROOM, the Icon Tiles were useless.. I couldn't figure out which one was the premiere showing on Sunday nights, which ones were on demand, etc... Same in VOD... the tiles limit you to 9 shows.. a list option would be helpful.
4. Why do we have to lose the live buffer during DVR playback? And if you pause the live buffer and watch a DVR/On Demand show, the buffer should resume (to the limit of 60 minutes) where you left off... and why only 60 minute buffer (Dish boasts about hard drive space, but all the DTV DVR's are 90 minute buffers, and there are 2 of them!!!!).
5. I think all of the above feature request are fairly straight forward... this one is a bigger one.. I know I can't pause my tv in one room on a HWS and then pick it up on the other, but I can from a Joey... still not sure why that kind of "dumb" Joey tuner/buffer share can't be extended to another Hopper...
6. We have a brand new 60" Panasonic plasma... I NEED A SCREEN SAVER.. while I don't worry too much about burn in, 60 minutes of my daughters pausing a show always makes me nervous... after 3 minutes on DTV, you get a black screen with a floating/moving DTV logo...
7, If PTAT is off, why do I have to see a logo for it every time I go into the DVR screen on my second HWS where it is disabled... I can turn it back on in the Settings menu...
I love the speed.
The navigation is fantastic, the menus are nice to look at.. the guide is growing on me..
Like all the options, display info, etc.. really slick, well designed...
I'm happy I made the switch.. I still have some tuner conflict anxiety (I had 9 tuners with Directv.... conflicts ere seldom and issue...)
I was really apprehensive about the picture quality too.... It's going to be fine for me (I have one 42", one 60" plasma and a 110" projection system...) The difference is minor enough for me...
Edited by FilmMixer, 23 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.