Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

I would unplug the Joey during the initial software download/install.  Don't recall if this is necessary but I still think it would be prudent to do so.

• Ramer84015 likes this

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

1. it should have not, but each time it's different and unique - each one has own set of settings

2. yes, first the H or H2 must download own FW and FW for Js, then Js will pull own FW from the H/H2

#483 OFFLINE   Ramer84015

Ramer84015

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

1. it should have not, but each time it's different and unique - each one has own set of settings
2. yes, first the H or H2 must download own FW and FW for Js, then Js will pull own FW from the H/H2

So I may have to re-enter series I've set up to auto record?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#484 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Timers and other settings are backed up weekly to the remote. Use the original Hopper remote by pairing it it the new HWS. Then use the System Wizard ( press and hold the "0") to initiate the restore.

• Ramer84015 likes this

#485 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

I upgraded both my Hoppers to HWS a few months back.  Timers backed up on remote and during setup of HWS it asked if I wanted to restore.  Did not unplug any of the 3 Joeys, but they were all turned off.  Easy Squeezy.

• Ramer84015 likes this

#486 OFFLINE   ivanhu3422

ivanhu3422

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • Locationusvi

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

HELLO, I NEED HELP PLEASE

I LIVE IN USVI , I HAVE TWO ANTENNAS WITH A DISH PRO LNBF , ONE ANTENNA LOOKING SAT 77 AND THE OTHER TO 72 , I HAD TWO  VIP211K, CONNECTED VIA SW21, EVERY THING WORKED FINE, I HAD TO UNGRADE TO HOOPER-JOEY SYSTEM, SO I REPLACE THE SW21 WITH THE SOLO NODE , CONECT 72 TO INPUT 1, SAT 77 TO INPUT 2 , THE I CONECTED THE HOOPER AND JOEYS AS THE INSTRUCTIONS, THE PROBLEM IS THAT I ONLY GET THE SAT THAT I INSERT IN PORT NO. 1 ON THE SOLO NODE, THERE IS NO MIX OF THE TWO SATS, AND ALSO HAVE OTHER PROBLEM THAT IS I ONLY GET ONE TURNER , ONE TURNER, ONE SAT... ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF THIS PROBLEM COULD BE ??

REGARDS

IVAN

#487 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

IVAN, please turn OFF your CapsLock.

You'll need to replace DP34 to DPP33 or DPP44, only dish pro plus switches will works for Solo node

#488 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded my system.  I went from a 2H/3J setup to 1 Hopper with Sling, 1 Super Joey and one Wireless Joey.

Firstly, the guy who came out (and was on time) was a complete professional.  Answered every question I had and finished the job promptly  Notes from the install in no particular order...

- I forgot to mention to the CSR, when I called, that I wanted my dish, which is mounted on the side of my garage, moved higher.  When the tech got here, he already though it should be higher - we talked and he hiked it up a few feet.  Excellent!

- He only saw, on the work order, that he was installing one Hopper and two Joeys - and saw that I already HAD 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys.  They neglected to mention, on the order, that I was trading in my equipment.  He wondered how all this was going to work (3 Hoppers and 6 Joeys are an impossible setup) and we had a good laugh when I explained things.

- The HwS seems to be MUCH faster than my old Hopper.  Scrolling through listings, FF skip - everything is more responsive.

- The HwS immediately recognized the EHD that I plugged in (containing all the stuff from the previous 2 Hoppers that I wanted to save).  No troubles there.

All in all, a very good experience.

#489 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Had an installer out last week to install a HwS, a Hopper and two Joey's. Everything was done fast and efficiently. The only problem I had after he left was that he forgot to bridge the network connections. Got on with chat and fixed it in a couple of minutes with no problems. Only kink we ran into during installation was we wanted five rooms wired with only four receivers. He said that he only got paid for the receivers installed so he would have to charge me $49 for the additional wiring but in turn he gave me a $50 referral credit so it worked itself out.

#490 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded my system.  I went from a 2H/3J setup to 1 Hopper with Sling, 1 Super Joey and one Wireless Joey.

Dumb question time...

Aside from Sling... how is going from 2 Hopper/3 Joey to 1 Hopper/1 Super Joey/1 Joey an upgrade?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#491 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

Stewart:  Not a dumb question at all.

First, I got the original 2H/3J setup shortly after the Hopper was released.  Back then, Hoppers couldn't see each other's drives.  So, in the family room, the Joey was there to basically pick which Hopper was being fed to the home theater.  The reason I had 2 Hoppers was that 3 tuners wasn't enough.  At most I could get PTAT, a Red Sox game and one other thing simultaneously.  That wasn't quite enough on some night - especially Sunday nights when HBO would be in full swing with their originals, Falling Skies on TNT, a ballgame, PTAT and throw in any other specials that might be interesting.

But, to itemize the upgrades...

- Lose Hopper #2.  That's an upgrade in wiring simplicity and price reduction.

- Lose Joey #3.  Again, upgrade in simplicity and cost savings.

- Replace Hopper #1 with Hopper with Sling (HwS).  Upgrade by being able to watch on my iPhone, tablet and PC.  Also, since I don't need the Joey, I don't have to manually switch my HT to get at the "Hopper Only" functions, like archiving/restoring shows to/from the EHD.

- Replace Joey #2 with Super Joey.  Upgrade by having 2 more tuners, enough for those nights when "everything is on".

- Replace Joey #1 with Wireless Joey.  Upgrade in that I can move it to a different room, if I choose.

Add to that the *apprearance* (to me) that the HwS is just plain FASTER at so many things.  There's not as much of a pause when I skip forward 30 seconds, the guide scroll WAY faster and there may be more as I explore this thing.

So, I have more functionality, more responsive hardware, less wiring and am saving money every month...

*That* is an upgrade :)

#492 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks... that makes sense.  If you didn't need the sixth tuner and wanted the flexibility of the relocatable wireless Joey... then that would qualify as an upgrade, and saving money in the process is always a good thing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...