Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Does the new system still have a coax output on it, and are all outputs live at the same time, in case you would want to hook it up to two tvs but not want any joeys?

Coax is gone. But all outputs are always active (HDMI, Component and Composite). I have HDMI going to an HD wireless transmitter to TV2 in another room, Component going to TV1, and Composite going to my DVD recorder. I have no Joeys. The cool thing is IR and RF are both active, so I can use my IR universal at TV1 and the Dish RF remote at TV2. That's something I always wanted to do with DirecTV but couldn't.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   billyfury

billyfury

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

So anyone who has had it installed have you seen any problems such as intermittent problems with slowness, freezing, anything like that that often occurs on the bleeding edge?

Anything you like less on Hopper vs. your previous 722/922 DVR?

I replaced 922 and 722 setup with Hopper and 3 Joeys yesterday. I had to reset the Hopper once. For some reason I lost my internet/broadband connection. I had clicked the Weather Channel option in the main menu and could not get the video to change back to the "live tv", menu etc without the broadband connection. The audio did change back to live tv as changing channels did change the audio but the screen was stuck on the weather channel. A reset and then a reset of broadband connection fixed this and everything has been fine since.

As far as what I like less there are two things. I have no OTA module. Many local broadcast channels that I do watch are not in the Dish menu. I had to connect my external antenna directly to the TV and switch the TV source to watch them. I am told that a future USB antenna is intended to fix this.

You cannot mix VIP and Hopper equipment on one account. The installer and his manager did not know this when they came. In fact the installer had run a third cable from my dish to the in order to accomodate the 922 and only found out that cannot be done when he tried to activate everthing. I had intended to keep the 922 (although I had multiple problems with it over the past 12 months) in order to keep my sling ability without additional up front expense. Dish wanted $30 for the sling unit. I had to give up the 922. I was able to get Dish to give me a sling unit without cost after complaining about the expense I incurred less than a year ago for the OTA module that I am no longer able to use.

I dont know how those that like to take Dish technology with them for the weekend in their RV are going to be able to do that. Not a big deal for me.

I am very happy with the new system!

#43 OFFLINE   MDavidM

MDavidM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Mine never happened. Called Thursday and set an installation appointment for Friday afternoon. No one ever showed up for the installation. Called Dish and found that the order had been cancelled. Their solution? Block off another entire afternoon and hope someone shows up. Lunacy...

#44 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

If you're speaking of the recording that you saved to the HD from the PTAT, yes it is there until you choose to delete it. The PTAT content rolls off after 8 days. I believe each show recorded within that 3 hour block has it's own folder not 1 folder for each block. Thanks.

Does this mean that the three hour recording is still there in its entirety until you choose to delete it?

Would someone who has a unit working confirm that one easily can save PTAT recorded shows onto the user hard drive space with extra time at the beginning and end effectively giving you complete copies of all those shows that don't follow the on-the-hour scheduling system - like many ABC shows that actually run from 9:00 to 10:02.

#45 OFFLINE   ash

ash

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I just called to upgrade to the Hopper and 2 Joeys from 1 922 and 2 211K. I was advised to wait until mid-April to avoid the $ 99.00 upgrade fee and firmware upgrades will support TV Everywhere without a Sling adapter on the Hopper. Can anybody else confirm this ? Thanks
Dish 922, 211 and 211K

Panasonic Viera VT65

#46 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

I just called to upgrade to the Hopper and 2 Joeys from 1 922 and 2 211K. I was advised to wait until mid-April to avoid the $ 99.00 upgrade fee and firmware upgrades will support TV Everywhere without a Sling adapter on the Hopper. Can anybody else confirm this ? Thanks

I'm sure eventually there won't be an upgrade fee, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it being mid-april.

Hopper will never get tv everywhere without the sling adapter, does not have the hardware to do so.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

If you're speaking of the recording that you saved to the HD from the PTAT, yes it is there until you choose to delete it. The PTAT content rolls off after 8 days. I believe each show recorded within that 3 hour block has it's own folder not 1 folder for each block. Thanks.

What I'm concerned about is that many shows run one or two minutes long and the ViP DVR's cut the shows off on the hour or half-hour to start the next one, frequently even if both are on the same network, leaving me without the critical end of the show. (Really, the Dish system rounds down or up in five minute increments which really screws things up.)

Most of the time, you can obtain information in advance if a show runs long, but not always. So if all the shows can be seen with an extra two minutes beyond the scheduled start and stop time, the PTAT system will work beautifully. If not, we're back to the same problem.

ABC is the worst network for this, frequently ending 9:00 shows at 9:01 or 9:02. But they aren't the only one that does this.

I can do "work arounds" most of the time because I have both a 722 and a 612. But I want to know if people are losing the ends of shows on the Hopper PTAT system.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#48 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

The PTAT content rolls off after 8 days. I believe each show recorded within that 3 hour block has it's own folder not 1 folder for each block. Thanks.

Really, PTAT? Sigh.

Anyway, if I understand what you're saying, there are 8 total blocks. Each block represents one of the 8 PTA days that are stored. On the 9th day, the oldest of the 8 blocks is deleted, replaced either after or before the 9th day block is stored. Or if you would, the 8th day 'falls off' the backside and is replaced with the 9th day.

Further, if you have all of the broadcasts of your locals in HD, then each block would contain all the Prime Time hours of the four major networks. Working in the background, the block is then pre-cut so that all of the shows contained in Prime Time end up getting stored on their own for viewing later.

As "phrelin" correctly points out, the EPG is often inadequate in determining the correct ending of many shows. Heck, the EPG can't even determine the second airing correctly.

Wouldn't this, "fast-food" pre-cut method (DISH), instead of the precision butcher cut method (ME), ultimately result in some shows getting their endings chopped off? Or, does PTA do the "fast-food" pre-cutting method based on the padding?

If the pre-cutting is based on the padding, then I suppose I could set the end padding to, lets say 15 minutes. If this is the case, then this slop-cut method would give the best chance of having the end of the show survive PTA.

ABC is the worst network for this, frequently ending 9:00 shows at 9:01 or 9:02. But they aren't the only one that does this.

I consider ABC to be one of the worst. When the show 'Lost' was still on the air, some episodes would end 2 to 9 minutes late because ABC decided to stuff commercials. This wasn't reflected in the guide. If it's popular on ABC, expect it to run over, and run over a lot.

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

This is cross thread posting, I know, but I got my question answered.

(from Installation Experiences thread)

Would someone who has a unit working confirm that one easily can save PTAT recorded shows onto the user hard drive space with extra time at the beginning and end effectively giving you complete copies of all those shows that don't follow the on-the-hour scheduling system - like many ABC shows that actually run from 9:00 to 10:02.

That's one of the questions I'd like answered to complete the EKB page, and Dish PR has been unresponsive. Would someone save the 9:00 show, and then save the 10:00 show (or any show and the one immediately following on the same channel)? I expect the 9:00 save will have 3 minutes late into the 10:00 show, but does the 10:00 show also have the 1 early at the end of the 9:00 show? There should be a few minutes that appear both at the end of the first and beginning of the second.

I can confirm that start early / end late is preserved on all programs, even overlapping ones when viewed or saved. So as in your example the last few minutes of program 1 is repeated in the first few minutes of program 2.

Thank you!

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#50 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

So it's based completely on the default padding, provided that the default padding is adequate to get the entire show. This also suggests that the blocks remain intact and are not pre-chopped up, until the user wants to copy out from the PTA area.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

So it's based completely on the default padding, provided that the default padding is adequate to get the entire show. This also suggests that the blocks remain intact and are not pre-chopped up, until the user wants to copy out from the PTA area.

It seems to record shows as they air. How they are stored is a decent technical question but I'm not sure it is important. The important part is what is available to play back.

Series timers can still be set for your favorite shows, and those recordings will be kept as long as you like (within the settings of the DVR).

This being day 3 of release there are a few who can test saving programs one didn't have a timer set for, and other issues. CBS is a good channel tonight with the NCAA Basketball Tournament automatically starting at 7:30pm and 48 Hours scheduled at 10pm. If the game goes past 10 we can see what "late sports" does to PTA timers.

#52 OFFLINE   rds

rds

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

I talked to Dish and asked what was the wiring requirements for installing a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I was told that I needed 5 coax cables at the site of the Hopper installation - one from the dish to the Hopper, one going from the Hopper to each Joey and one from each Joey to the Hopper. Does anyone know if this correct? I currently have 2 quad shielded RG-6 cables at each site. Can I have a Hopper/Joey installed with this setup?

#53 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

You should check out some of the threads, particular the stickies at the top of this forum...

There is only a need for one run of coax to the Hopper. The basics of the wiring are:

2 runs of coax from a DP switch (could be a 1000.4 built-in or could be a DPP34/44 switch) to a single node. One run of coax from the node to the Hopper. One run of coax from the node to 1 or more Joeys, the Joey runs of coax can be split from each other like part of a home distribution setup.

A dual Hopper config is slightly different, mainly at the node, but still only one run of coax to where the Hopper is installed.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#54 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I talked to Dish and asked what was the wiring requirements for installing a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I was told that I needed 5 coax cables at the site of the Hopper installation - one from the dish to the Hopper, one going from the Hopper to each Joey and one from each Joey to the Hopper. Does anyone know if this correct? I currently have 2 quad shielded RG-6 cables at each site. Can I have a Hopper/Joey installed with this setup?

That person is in serious need of training. My Hopper has one RG6 coming to it and that is 2 way. Sat signal down and Hopper signal to Joeys back up. They are all connected to the node which distributes the signals where they need to go. The only thing the tech had to do was replace the existing 59 to the Hopper with 6. The Joeys are using the existing 59. You only need one drop to each box.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#55 OFFLINE   tstucki

tstucki

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I had 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys installed on Friday. The tech spent a lot of time trying to get everything to "Link". If I go to the Network Settings the internet is working just fine on the Hoppers, however when you switch to the MoCA view, on ALL Hoppers and Joeys the connection fails. Is this supposed to work? Will a firmware update help?

Also, When I go to the Whole-Home page, it shows ALL Hoppers and Joeys. The Tech who was doing the install thought that they should all be "Linked", but everything is "Un-Linked" except the Joeys that are connected to the hoppers. The tech said he was going to ask around after he left and call me back, but he never did.

Is this how it's supposed to be set up? (Hopper 1 ONLY "Linked" to it's Joeys, and Hopper 2 only "Linked" to it's respective Joeys)

Plus, I ALWAYS have a MoCA signal indicator on the bottom right of my screen. I'd really like to get rid of that!

Edited by tstucki, 17 March 2012 - 08:23 PM.
Added another question...

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I had 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys installed on Friday. The tech spent a lot of time trying to get everything to "Link". If I go to the Network Settings the internet is working just fine on the Hoppers, however when you switch to the MoCA view, on ALL Hoppers and Joeys the connection fails. Is this supposed to work? Will a firmware update help?

I'm not sure where in the menu you are talking about. Walk us up to that point.
Menu (button) ... choose Settings ??? etc (see example below)

Is this how it's supposed to be set up? (Hopper 1 ONLY "Linked" to it's Joeys, and Hopper 2 only "Linked" to it's respective Joeys)

Currently yes. Joeys can only be liked to one Hopper. Software update pending.

Plus, I ALWAYS have a MoCA signal indicator on the bottom right of my screen. I'd really like to get rid of that!

Menu ... Settings ... Network Setup ... Whole Home ... Display Settings
Set to Notifications Only or Disabled. Enabled leaves it there all the time.

#57 OFFLINE   skyway

skyway

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

My Hopper install is scheduled for tomorrow. Replacing my two VIP 722's with two Hoppers and two Joey's. Thanks to DIRT MaryB@Dishnetwork for getting me scheduled. Looking forward to the new system.

Edited by skyway, 18 March 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#58 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

My Hooper install is scheduled for tomorrow. Replacing my two VIP 722's with two Hoopers and two Joey's. Thanks to DIRT MaryB@Dishnetwork for getting me scheduled. Looking forward to the new system.

Shame ! Check what name you created for the product. ;)

#59 OFFLINE   tstucki

tstucki

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm not sure where in the menu you are talking about. Walk us up to that point.
Menu (button) ... choose Settings ??? etc (see example below)

Currently yes. Joeys can only be liked to one Hopper. Software update pending.

Menu ... Settings ... Network Setup ... Whole Home ... Display Settings
Set to Notifications Only or Disabled. Enabled leaves it there all the time.

Menu -> Settings -> Network Setup -> Broadband -> (Red Button; choose MoCA)

It says "DHCP Acquired: Failed", "Server Connection: Failed", "Internet Connection: Failed".

The tech doing the install didn't seem to think this was correct. Shouldn't these be "connected" for all hoppers/joeys? Or is that all part of the future firmware updates?

#60 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,973 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Menu -> Settings -> Network Setup -> Broadband -> (Red Button; choose MoCA)

It says "DHCP Acquired: Failed", "Server Connection: Failed", "Internet Connection: Failed".

The tech doing the install didn't seem to think this was correct. Shouldn't these be "connected" for all hoppers/joeys? Or is that all part of the future firmware updates?

Connect CAT5 cable RJ-45 jack from your hub/switch/router/DSL modem/cable modem/etc into h2k's Ethernet port first.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...