Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dtvgone

dtvgone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Had Hopper and 2 Joeys installed Sat, Joeys wouldn't link, although recognized by the Hopper.

Tech support couldn't restore them to factory default, and no recessed switch (or button combo) as with most routers to do so.

The installer thought that all three units should be replaced, returned Sun and install went smoothly, and order of setup and activation (Follow install wizard fully on Hopper and no Joeys connected until live TV shows on Hopper) appear to be critical.

My EHD was recognized, but showed no content, with size of drive listed as being less than drive size less actual content. Reset the Hopper and recognized, displaying all content and correct drive size. Have transferred recordings from EHD to Hopper, which play correctly, and played recordings from EHD without error. Haven't tried saving to EHD yet, but seems fully functional, different than the 922.

BB and On-Demand failed to display anything after initial acceptance screen for a while, then content displayed, and successfully streamed two HD shows.

No software bugs thus far, but haven't moved any PTAT to user HD space yet, as just enabled. PTAT should have an option for pre-post padding adjustment, same as scheduled recordings.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

The cables you need are two cables from the dish to the node, one cable from the node to the hopper and one cable from the node to each Joey that can be split with the use of splitters. If you have two cables to each location you have more than enough.

So if I had a hopper and two joeys I need two lines from the dish inside? May be a deal breaker for me.

I currently have directv with one line from dish inside to SWM and one line to each receiver. I don't want more holes in my house.

#83 OFFLINE   desiguy2447

desiguy2447

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

I am scheduled for this weekend for the 1 hopper and 3 joey install. Replacing my 722K, and two 211K receivers.

My question is my RG6 line for TV2 only reaches where my 722K is currently, and where the Hopper will be placed so I am hoping like in one install diagram I did see can a splitter can be placed for the install so no new wire has to run to TV 2? I don't mind new wiring being run provided Dish doesn't leave it showing on the exterior of the house (main concern).

The 211K receivers have direct RG6 lines running to the Dish Switch, and for the internet connection I have Ethernet ports in all locations.

Thanks

#84 OFFLINE   OinkinOregon

OinkinOregon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Installer came on Friday to install 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. He pretty much ripped out the old coax from the Dish to the internal house wiring. Crawled under the house to run a home run from the new DUO switch to the Hopper. Activated the Hopper and then my problem with Dish began. I had 2 722's and a 622. I planned on keeping the 622 active. Dish made sure that was not going to happen.

Got on the phone with CSR to Loyalty Department to Executive. "Sorry sir, we cannot have a Hopper system with the old VIP receivers they are not compatible." Even though the installer had his install diagrams that clearly stated it could be done and it was done and working just fine until the CSR deactivated all 3 VIP receivers. I argued and got nowhere except having to fork over another 100 bucks for another Hopper to replace the 622, that is coming this morning. Has anyone else had this problem? I was told that I would be able to keep my 622 that I own by the original CSR.

As far as the Hopper Joey performance goes, it is worth it. I love how everything looks and feels and the system is running perfectly. I really love how the remotes can learn commands from the original remote and how there is no more fumbling for the remote codes. Primetime anytime is an excellent feature and find myself watching other shows I would not normally record.

I will be interested to see what happens to others as they have this system installed and whether or not they are forced to give up legacy receivers.

#85 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

If the Hopper was pre-downloaded with the latest software and all the cabling was good I could see it taking an hour to "plug and play" and start up a Hopper / Joey system, but otherwise that is very optimistic.

I would consider 2-3 hours to be a minimum install, longer if the Hopper was cut out of a factory sealed box and needed the initial downloads. Once the installers get more real life experience the extra hours taken by being methodical should be able to be reduced.

Yeah, there is no way to do the install in one hour. I did my own Hopper install (1H/1J replacing 722k & 612) on Saturday and it was my 5th one. Since it was my house I knew I didn't have to fix anything, and adding the node took all of 10 minutes. After that the Hopper was immediately hooked up. After downloading, activating, then linking the Joey the whole install took 1 Hr 20 min. That's with no customer meet & greet, WO confirmation, customer education, or rebuilding of the system. I takes at least 1 Hr and 15 min just for the Hopper and 1 Joey to download the latest firmware and set themselves up. Add another 10-15 min for each additional Joey. Not sure why they take so long, but they do.

#86 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

So if I had a hopper and two joeys I need two lines from the dish inside? May be a deal breaker for me.

I currently have directv with one line from dish inside to SWM and one line to each receiver. I don't want more holes in my house.

It depends on your house, but it may be possible to put the node outside and run one cable into the attic and use a tap and splitter in there.

#87 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I am scheduled for this weekend for the 1 hopper and 3 joey install. Replacing my 722K, and two 211K receivers.

My question is my RG6 line for TV2 only reaches where my 722K is currently, and where the Hopper will be placed so I am hoping like in one install diagram I did see can a splitter can be placed for the install so no new wire has to run to TV 2? I don't mind new wiring being run provided Dish doesn't leave it showing on the exterior of the house (main concern).

The 211K receivers have direct RG6 lines running to the Dish Switch, and for the internet connection I have Ethernet ports in all locations.

Thanks

You should be able to put the node and a 2-way splitter where the switch currently is, and then a tap behind the Hopper to connect the existing TV2 line. No wiring should need to be changed.

#88 OFFLINE   desiguy2447

desiguy2447

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the information, and reply!

#89 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Installer showed up promptly at 8am, and is working on mine. We're going to need at least one new cable run to my office, but the rest should be OK.

I have an old Dish 1000 hybrid with no internal switch going to an external 3x3, and he decided to completely swap out my old Dish for a new one... It's his first Hopper, but he's been in contact with some coworkers who have done a few, and they gave him some tips.

The biggest tip so far he said is they told him to be sure the Hopper is installed properly, and finishes its firmware updates before you attach and turn on any Joey's. Then, you should do the Joey's one at a time after that...

Fingers crossed, but it looks like he expects to be here a few hours...and they have him scheduled for four more today! Going to be a long Monday for him.

Forgot to mention, when he went up to take down my old Dish, it was INFESTED with ANTS! I mean they were all inside the LNB's, everywhere. Wow...not as bad as wasps, but still.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#90 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

See install diagram on bottom of the page http://www.dishuser.com/hopper.php

#91 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Well, the install went surprisingly good. It did take longer than expected (5 hours start to finish), but it was his first one, and he also installed a new dish, and ran a new cable run to my office. When he was done he had no complaints, and actually was glad his first install was a video geek like me, so he said he learned enough to make it worth the time.

His tip a coworker had given him about installing the Hopper first, letting it update, activating all units, then installing the Joey's seemed spot on. Each unit came online, updated, rebooted a few times, and worked perfectly out of the gate.

I will say, when you first plug in either a Hopper or Joey, they appear dead for a good 5-10 minutes, so just leave them alone. The Hopper took about 20 minutes to do it's firmware updates, the Joey's less. The remotes all linked up first try, and the system wizards on each unit to setup worked flawlessly; the Joey's found and connected to the Hopper automatically, and without issue. It's probably my imagination, but the picture quality coming out of the hopper seems better than the 922, but that's probably not actually true, lol.

The interface is like the 922's, but much better IMO. The whole unit is faster, and it switches channels and transponders a lot faster too.

Really the only issues we ran into was when we went to connect internet. First thing we discovered is the Hopper does not have Homelink built in. 2nd, if you connect internet to a Joey's ethernet port, that Joey shows connectivity, but it does not share it with the other units.

It boils down to (at least for now), you have to have an internet connection to the Hopper via ethernet or optional USB wireless, or insert the HIC box, which he didn't have. In lieu of the HIC, he gave me the USB wireless key for free, and it works great actually. It's plugged into the Hopper. Interestingly, if you go to Broadband setup on the Joey's, it shows no internet connectivity, but they share the Hopper's connection in that they can view Dish on Demand or Blockbuster through the Hopper.

It would make more sense if the Joey shared internet to the Hopper if I plugged into the back of it, but apparently that doesn't work yet.

We also plugged a Sling adapter into it, and so far, it appears to be working as well!

So it wasn't without minor hitches, but to be honest, the Hopper and Joey's all went in without a hitch, and are working perfectly. Can't wait for my PTAT tonight! :)

Here's what it looks like in Dishonline with the Sling Adapter:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1332187075

Attached Thumbnails

• Sling - Hopper.JPG

Edited by ZBoomer, 19 March 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#92 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

My install was Saturday and my Dish On Line account still shows a 922 and 722K. Oh well. Soon, right?:D
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#93 OFFLINE   txsrooster

txsrooster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I don't understand why they didn't build sling into the hopper since it already has a network connection.

#94 OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

My 2H/2J install was yesterday and everything went well. (OK, there were a couple of small glitches, this being the installer's first Hopper install and all. But were quickly resolved.)

I am truly loving this system. It still has a few quirks, but it is already better than my HR21s!

#95 OFFLINE   EdSchmitz

EdSchmitz

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Ok, found out my inability to use search was due to the predictive function not working at all, even after over 48 hours of the system being functional. Only way to record by search was to hit "Seek & Record", which yielded recording of a program on both the HD and SD channel, for the exact same program, at the exact same time. It was either a call to customer service last night, or waiting a little longer, but the predictive search is working fine now.

Also, the expand and collapse on Sirius and Dish music channels stopped working, until I turned the Hopper off then on, and now that's working again. A little buggy, but I'm still very satisfied.

#96 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

I don't understand why they didn't build sling into the hopper since it already has a network connection.

My thoughts you could read here.

#97 OFFLINE   smasters

smasters

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

I had an install scheduled for this morning with an 8-12 window. Was getting 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. 11:00 came and nothing. Tweeted CSR and was told they would be there between 11:30 and 12:00. 12:15 came and went. I looked online and my estimated arrival time was pushed back to 1:30. CSR said that the install before me was as large as mine and had run into a snag.
Long story short the arrival time kept getting pushed back until I had to cancel. The latest arrival time was 5:30 and I've got kids and baseball games to get to.

Unfortunately I had to cancel rather than reschedule. I can't afford to take another day off to wait and every weekend is full until May.

I understand problems happen and this is a new system that the tech's are having to work out but what irritates me the most is that I never received a call from anyone. I received my reminder call last night but no one ever called to say they would be late or that there was an issue. If I hadn't called or tweeted I would be stuck twiddling my thumbs.

I really wish that companies could figure out a way to schedule appointments and keep them. I wasted a day off sitting at home waiting for nothing and no one is going to compensate me for that.

I'll guess I'll give everyone a few months to work out the bugs before I'm able to try this again.

#98 OFFLINE   Bladi90

Bladi90

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Not necessarily, the duo node can be install outside and with the use of a tap inside before the splitter you only need one line from the outside. As long as you are installing a maximum of 1 hopper and 3 joeys.

#99 OFFLINE   Bladi90

Bladi90

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Installer came on Friday to install 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. He pretty much ripped out the old coax from the Dish to the internal house wiring. Crawled under the house to run a home run from the new DUO switch to the Hopper. Activated the Hopper and then my problem with Dish began. I had 2 722's and a 622. I planned on keeping the 622 active. Dish made sure that was not going to happen.

Got on the phone with CSR to Loyalty Department to Executive. "Sorry sir, we cannot have a Hopper system with the old VIP receivers they are not compatible." Even though the installer had his install diagrams that clearly stated it could be done and it was done and working just fine until the CSR deactivated all 3 VIP receivers. I argued and got nowhere except having to fork over another 100 bucks for another Hopper to replace the 622, that is coming this morning. Has anyone else had this problem? I was told that I would be able to keep my 622 that I own by the original CSR.

As far as the Hopper Joey performance goes, it is worth it. I love how everything looks and feels and the system is running perfectly. I really love how the remotes can learn commands from the original remote and how there is no more fumbling for the remote codes. Primetime anytime is an excellent feature and find myself watching other shows I would not normally record.

I will be interested to see what happens to others as they have this system installed and whether or not they are forced to give up legacy receivers.

The installation can be done because 1 hopper only need two ports out three coming out of 1000.2/1000.4 lnb's. However, dish doesn't allow mixed equipment to be active on the same account.

#100 OFFLINE   Bladi90

Bladi90

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks

The tech could use a tap at the receiver to feed the Joey (currently tv2) and use a splitter from the node for the for the other 2 joeys. (both 211s) He doesn't need to run a new line. Hopefully he understand how the tap works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...